Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
aaa111

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by aaa111 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:30 am

to the people who have gotten more $$$... were your other offers from better schools or just more amounts of money? did you write a letter along with your offers asking for the increased scholarship?

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:28 am

Sooo just sent in my seat deposit. That's a wrap for me as far as my cycle goes. Feels sort of weird now that it's all over!

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:53 am

aaa111 wrote:to the people who have gotten more $$$... were your other offers from better schools or just more amounts of money? did you write a letter along with your offers asking for the increased scholarship?
My offers were actually from lower schools (Emory, Chicago-Kent, Baylor, and so on), but were substantially more money.

I wrote a letter with my offers; however, there was an issue with all of my financial info and I ended up going to their office in person and talked to them about it. They emailed me two hours later and had increased it.

From what I have heard it is worth it to send in all of your offers; even if the schools are much lower. Worked for me.

SSDD

New

Post by SSDD » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 pm

I did pretty much the same thing as the post above. All of my scholarships were from lower ranked schools (Emory, WUSTL, Notre Dame, U of Minnesota, Baylor), but they were for substantially larger amounts.

It worked for me; I didn't get a huge scholarship or anything, but it was still decent (more than expected). I'd strongly urge you to give it a shot; anything you get now means less to pay back later (well, no shit, haha)...

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:57 pm

I don't have any larger offers than what UT gave me (when you factor in COL and instate tuition) but i have a larger scholly from a t-14 school. think they'll offer more even though the total cost would be more at the t14? worth a shot i guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gigm09

New

Post by gigm09 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:30 pm

aaa111 wrote:I don't have any larger offers than what UT gave me (when you factor in COL and instate tuition) but i have a larger scholly from a t-14 school. think they'll offer more even though the total cost would be more at the t14? worth a shot i guess.
I was in just that situation and they just bumped up my scholarship from 7K a year to 9.5K a year.

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:32 pm

gigm09 wrote:
aaa111 wrote:I don't have any larger offers than what UT gave me (when you factor in COL and instate tuition) but i have a larger scholly from a t-14 school. think they'll offer more even though the total cost would be more at the t14? worth a shot i guess.
I was in just that situation and they just bumped up my scholarship from 7K a year to 9.5K a year.
excellent news. which email did you send your letter and offers to, if you sent via email?

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

semperfi1860

New

Post by semperfi1860 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:33 pm

aaa111 wrote:
gigm09 wrote:
excellent news. which email did you send your letter and offers to, if you sent via email?
I was in your situation with larger schollies from T14 schools (again, didn't compensate for in-state and COL) and they bumped me up from 7 a year to 15 a year.

You can send your email to the admissions email or directly to Linda Alba (director of Financial Aid): LAlba@law.utexas.edu and then fax your letters to her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Is anyone going to the OMV tomorrow? I'm all alone is Austin here. And sunburned. But loving it :D

Congrats to all those who got more $/deposited. It's getting pretty exciting.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:29 pm

UT just gave me some money. I love it even more.

woopwoop

New

Post by woopwoop » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 pm

I think I'd really enjoy saying, "See you in the fall." And especially, "Hook 'em." But I can't find compelling reasons to take 26k at UT over 111k at WashU. Can you?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 pm

woopwoop wrote:I think I'd really enjoy saying, "See you in the fall." And especially, "Hook 'em." But I can't find compelling reasons to take 26k at UT over 111k at WashU. Can you?
If you want to work in the midwest, then no. However, if you want to fight Esc for a SCOTUS clerkship, then you will want to go to UT. Otherwise, it depends on how debt averse you are and how much you want the more national job prospects of UT (debatable). Personally, if I didn't want to work in Texas and those were my only options, then I would go to WUSTL. This is all assuming you aren't getting instate at UT. If you are getting instate tuition, then go to UT!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:53 pm

chadstew55 wrote:
woopwoop wrote:I think I'd really enjoy saying, "See you in the fall." And especially, "Hook 'em." But I can't find compelling reasons to take 26k at UT over 111k at WashU. Can you?
If you want to work in the midwest, then no. However, if you want to fight Esc for a SCOTUS clerkship, then you will want to go to UT. Otherwise, it depends on how debt averse you are and how much you want the more national job prospects of UT (debatable). Personally, if I didn't want to work in Texas and those were my only options, then I would go to WUSTL. This is all assuming you aren't getting instate at UT. If you are getting instate tuition, then go to UT!!!
Have you decided where you are going yet?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 pm

St. Louis

Oil & Enery curriculum --> Greater prep for Energy law opportunities

Er..St. Louis

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 pm

I will be there in the fall. I just put my deposit down. Hook 'em! does any think they would care if I had a scholly from lower schools like SMU(72) or W&L(60)

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:01 am

chadstew55 wrote:

En Garde, woopwoop, defend thyself, for the clerkship is MINE! :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:35 am

Esc wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:53 am

Neverknowsbest wrote:I will be there in the fall. I just put my deposit down. Hook 'em! does any think they would care if I had a scholly from lower schools like SMU(72) or W&L(60)
Depends on what they have already given you. If they haven't given you anything yet, then I would think it might be worth a little $$$. They do appear to be a little miserly with their cash this year, however.

I finally decided that Chicago was too expensive and too cold for my taste. Just put down my deposit. I'll see y'all in the fall!

P.S. - I still refuse to say "Hook 'em".

semperfi1860

New

Post by semperfi1860 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:13 pm

Esc wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:

Debatable.

txag_09, I'm going to get oh so much pleasure from seeing Aggies cringe.

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:52 am

semperfi1860 wrote:
Esc wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:

Debatable.

txag_09, I'm going to get oh so much pleasure from seeing Aggies cringe.
Jeez, you guys have your hearts set on a SCOTUS clerkship already? Seems like I'm going to be the underdog in this class. Call me RUDY!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:03 am

Jeez, you guys have your hearts set on a SCOTUS clerkship already? Seems like I'm going to be the underdog in this class. Call me RUDY!
SCOTUS clerkship is my fantasy goal, but since I have no delusions about how unlikely it is for any one person to get into a feeder judge clerkship and from there to one of the uber-limited SCOTUS clerkships, my real world goal is 5th circuit CoA clerkship. :)

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Esc wrote:
SCOTUS clerkship is my fantasy goal, but since I have no delusions about how unlikely it is for any one person to get into a feeder judge clerkship and from there to one of the uber-limited SCOTUS clerkships, my real world goal is 5th circuit CoA clerkship. :)
Good luck! Any idea how realistic, or unrealistic, it would be to score a clerkship for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd circuit CoA, coming from UT? I live in the Northeast so this would be ideal for me.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:10 pm

JoeShmo wrote:
Esc wrote:
Good luck! Any idea how realistic, or unrealistic, it would be to score a clerkship for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd circuit CoA, coming from UT? I live in the Northeast so this would be ideal for me.
U.T.'s clerkship program is pretty new. It was only a couple years ago that they started heavily promoting clerkships, and in those few years the average number of CoA clerkships per year has gone from less than 5 to 15-20 (my numbers may be slightly off but that is the gist of it).

The good side of this is that the program is growing and its reputation is expanding rapidly. The downside is that some judges outside of Texas may not be familiar with hiring U.T. grads and may remain less likely to do so.

U.T. has placed clerks on the 2nd and 9th circuits (the U.T. grad who will be clerking for Kennedy on SCOTUS previously clerked for the Chief Justice on the 9th circuit). I don't know about the D.C. circuit. Most UT clerks do end up on the 5th circuit, though the ASD career panel seemed to think that self-selection was a large factor in this.

Personally, in my uninformed 0L opinion, I think that if you have the grades to get a 5th circuit clerkship, than you can get a 1st or 3rd circuit clerkship if you work for it. I don't know about the chances for 2nd or D.C. circuit, since those seem to be significantly more prestigious.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:21 pm

After visiting schools on the coasts, I am still really unsure about my decision. I know I will settle in Texas after law school, and I'm sort of worried about bias towards UT grads in hiring here in Texas. What do yall think? I've heard anecdotal evidence on both sides of the issue. Also, it looks like my sibling might be having kids soon so it'd be nice to be just 80 miles away. I still have a full ride at UT, but as yall know the deadline is April 15. So Darrow or UT?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”