Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mpar

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by mpar » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:20 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:Just left Gregory. The weight room has great equipment. But it's a little cramped. I hear the newer gym has a more spacious weight room. Will try it tomorrow or Sunday.

Austin is ok. It's not "colorful" enough (for my tastes), but I'll get used to it.
Where are you from again that austin isn't colorful enough? Did you see Leslie yet?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:03 pm

mpar wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Just left Gregory. The weight room has great equipment. But it's a little cramped. I hear the newer gym has a more spacious weight room. Will try it tomorrow or Sunday.

Austin is ok. It's not "colorful" enough (for my tastes), but I'll get used to it.
Where are you from again that austin isn't colorful enough? Did you see Leslie yet?
He just moved from LA. The only thing that would impress him would be star-studded unicorn-mole hybrids leaping out of the city manholes and singing "Ode to Joy." :roll:

Cogito

New

Post by Cogito » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:33 pm

mpar wrote:So Sat at 11am in gregory for some bball? Sounds like a great plan.
Yup. Hope everyone shows up. I'll have my UT law hat visibly out on the bleachers w/ the rest of my stuff, but there usually aren't many people at 11am so finding each other shouldn't be an issue.

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 am

Not positive we're going to be able to play at gregory. We may have to head over to anna hiss or the rec. I think UT football autograph day is in gregory tomorrow. it's possible theyre only in the competition gym, though. We'll just see

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:23 am

Esc wrote:
mpar wrote:

He just moved from LA. The only thing that would impress him would be star-studded unicorn-mole hybrids leaping out of the city manholes and singing "Ode to Joy." :roll:
I wasn't attacking Austin, Esc. CHILL OUT!

You both missed my point. I was referring to the lack of diversity I observed at the Gregory gym and some of the areas surrounding UT-Austin. Although these last few days might be unrepresentative--school's out until next Wednesday--what I've seen (and have not seen) differs greatly from what I'm used to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:11 am

OperaAttorney wrote:I wasn't attacking Austin, Esc. CHILL OUT!

You both missed my point. I was referring to the lack of diversity I observed at the Gregory gym and some of the areas surrounding UT-Austin. Although these last few days might be unrepresentative--school's out until next Wednesday--what I've seen (and have not seen) differs greatly from what I'm used to.
Them's fightin' words.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 am

Hey Opera, do you want to chat about that assignment for Silver? We're supposed to discuss it with a classmate prior to the first day.

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:07 am

Oh, on campus diversity. Ya, that could be lacking. Actually, I suppose the diversity of Austin is rather lacking. I thought you just meant strange people and the like

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:20 pm

There are two of us down at Gregory if anyone else what's to come shoot around

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 am

Austin in general is place filled with a bunch of white people. There's a good sized asian community to the north, and a lot of hispanics living in the east. As for the law school, UT Austin has the highest number of URMs anywhere in the top 20.

The greater University is fairly lacking in diversity. This probably owes to the lack of a very good diversity policy; case law has barred the school from selective admissions, so they use a top 10% policy that reduces the asian enrollment while failing to attract large numbers of blacks and hispanics.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 am

I'm supposed to get some supplementary materials from the "sales office", and a syllabus from there too! Anyone have any idea where this mythical sales office is?

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:26 am

Snooker wrote:I'm supposed to get some supplementary materials from the "sales office", and a syllabus from there too! Anyone have any idea where this mythical sales office is?
It's right below the atrium. You just go down the stairs and it's in a little area next to the copy center/mail room. It hasn't been open this past week but should be open on Monday.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Snooker wrote:Austin in general is place filled with a bunch of white people. There's a good sized asian community to the north, and a lot of hispanics living in the east. As for the law school, UT Austin has the highest number of URMs anywhere in the top 20.

The greater University is fairly lacking in diversity. This probably owes to the lack of a very good diversity policy; case law has barred the school from selective admissions, so they use a top 10% policy that reduces the asian enrollment while failing to attract large numbers of blacks and hispanics.
Lol, I totally misinterpreted your remark, Opera. I also thought you were referring to interesting/far out people and stuff, like the guy who was giving free hugs on the Congress St. Bridge last night at Batfest. :lol:

Austin is actually quite a diverse city in terms of total population, but the demographics are very geographically uneven. Slightly less than half of the population is white, while hispanics make up 30+% of the population, african-american are ~9-10%, asians are ~6%, and a smattering of other ethnicity's make up the remainder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_tx#Demographics

The reason that, at first glance, Austin might appear to have "a bunch of white people" is because of an unfortunate lack of geographic diversity, the shameful legacy of the Jim Crow laws and forced segregation that took place in the 1920s. Around ~1928 the city of Austin's first comprehensive municipal plan moved all minorities east of East Avenue, what is now I-35. Polluting industries and other undesirable municipal necessities were also zoned for these areas, giving rise to a persistent pattern of environmental injustice. (UT Law's environmental clinic has been involved in advocacy for these communities). Luckily, modern-day Austin being a fairly liberal place as it were, we don't have nearly the level of racism/racial tension that a lot of other cities have, and a lot of local advocacy groups are working hard to make progress on this. To give an example, one large, blanket environmental group has made a priority out of advocating against the environment racism that east Austin suffers from, and in doing so has gotten a lot of previously uninvolved white Austinites advocating alongside minorities from the affected areas.

As for UT itself, the student body is overrepresented by whites and asians and underrepresented by african-americans and hispanics, but, as we've seen with all the affirmative action shoutfests, I don't think anyone has come up with a good way to solve this. :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:40 pm

If you want increased ethnic diversity you're welcome to come hang out at my place for the day. I live a bit east of the baseball stadium on MLK, and all my neighbors are either hispanic or black. Just head east of the freeway!

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Alta wrote:
Snooker wrote:I'm supposed to get some supplementary materials from the "sales office", and a syllabus from there too! Anyone have any idea where this mythical sales office is?
It's right below the atrium. You just go down the stairs and it's in a little area next to the copy center/mail room. It hasn't been open this past week but should be open on Monday.

So what and where is the atrium??? haha

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:46 pm

So this may be a dumb question, or this may be a problem with my Mac, but in looking at the .pdf of the Orientation Schedule, it says room assignments are on pages 4 and 5. I don't see multiple pages... the only page I see lists the events for days 1 and 2. Am I missing something?

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:52 pm

yes esc is right, there is a large hispanic population in Austin. I should have thought of this more closely since that very population took me out on the town quite recently. I should have said the university / central area is very white dominated. But the general area is quite diverse actually.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:30 pm

JoeShmo wrote:So this may be a dumb question, or this may be a problem with my Mac, but in looking at the .pdf of the Orientation Schedule, it says room assignments are on pages 4 and 5. I don't see multiple pages... the only page I see lists the events for days 1 and 2. Am I missing something?
I have the same issue. Also on a mac. I just assumed they messed it up but I guess figuring it out is fairly important given tomorrow's starting date.

Anyone that has Farrell for con law, I just looked at the p.640-650 part of the reading and it seems to just be random pages inside gender equality, does anyone have any idea why he wants us to read that? It seems odd

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:38 pm

My guess is that they posted the first two pages of what will be a 4-page handout we get when we check-in.

ArthurDayne

New

Post by ArthurDayne » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Anybody know if there is a dress code for orientation? I am planning on showing up in a shirt and shorts, seeing as it will be a long day. Just wanted to see if anybody knew anything that would lead me to dress a little nicer.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:12 pm

our mentor guy said it's totally casual

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:12 pm

ArthurDayne wrote:Anybody know if there is a dress code for orientation? I am planning on showing up in a shirt and shorts, seeing as it will be a long day. Just wanted to see if anybody knew anything that would lead me to dress a little nicer.
I'm planning on wearing a polo and nice jeans, and I'll be riding the bus instead of biking so as not to turn into a total sweat bomb. I won't break out the sandals until Wednesday.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:50 pm

mpar wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:So this may be a dumb question, or this may be a problem with my Mac, but in looking at the .pdf of the Orientation Schedule, it says room assignments are on pages 4 and 5. I don't see multiple pages... the only page I see lists the events for days 1 and 2. Am I missing something?
I have the same issue. Also on a mac. I just assumed they messed it up but I guess figuring it out is fairly important given tomorrow's starting date.

Anyone that has Farrell for con law, I just looked at the p.640-650 part of the reading and it seems to just be random pages inside gender equality, does anyone have any idea why he wants us to read that? It seems odd
Farrell's assignment looks like a typo. It starts halfway through one case and ends halfway through another. I talked to a bunch of people about it last night and we all agreed that it was a mistake. I emailed Farrell, but I have not heard back. I assume we'll all be in the same confused boat on Wed.

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:55 pm

My mentor said that all things at orientation are required except for the book discussion and the dinner. She also said that most people will be in shorts and t-shirts (or polos) and that there is no dress code whatsoever.

After my mentor meet and greet I am officially scared of Rau. They said the class does get somewhat humorous, but that his final is "ludicrous". Last year the highest score on his final was a 46 out of 80 and that someone actually made a 0. Myself and others have already made a study group lol.

Anderson is supposed to be cool and Albright is "the nicest law professor you'll ever meet"

...off to read my contracts assignment...again

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 pm

penni_rose wrote:
mpar wrote:

Farrell's assignment looks like a typo. It starts halfway through one case and ends halfway through another. I talked to a bunch of people about it last night and we all agreed that it was a mistake. I emailed Farrell, but I have not heard back. I assume we'll all be in the same confused boat on Wed.
Ok, that's what I figued.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”