NYU 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
LjakW

Bronze

Re: NYU 2012

Post by LjakW » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 pm

red_sox wrote:
LjakW wrote:Everyone that is getting aid is still in "Returns Received - Award Verification in Progress" status, right? I would be really angry to find out that my aid was rejected for some reason with three weeks left.
Mine now appear on my electronic bill on Albert.
I too have the award listed on my bill, but in the FAAPS interface it still says "verification in progress."
https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:21 pm

espresso wrote:
red_sox wrote:
novaman3 wrote:Here's some information that might be of help to you guys...

I spoke with the financial aid office this morning regarding the missing loan credits on my bursar's bill. They told me that there was some sort of glitch which made it so that scholarships and loan credits don't appear on the bill and that they will be posting a new bill later this week. Also, they said that August 10th is only a suggested deadline and that you can pay your bill by the first day of class without a penalty.
My Stafford loan appeared on the bill last night (I didn't apply for GradPlus). Does anyone know when we get paid our loan money?
As far as I understand (and I need to look into this a little more) if its a public/gov't loan, it'll be applied to to your outstanding NYU balance and then given to you as a refund within a few days, either as a check or a Direct Deposit (as long as you sign up for Direct Deposit within 10 business days of the refund's being issued). I haven't seen the exact dates anywhere, I don't think.

Loan distribution is varied depending on several factors. At the earliest, loans can be disbursed 10 days prior to the start of classes (the excess going to you), but sometimes it could be the first week or two after the start of classes, so attempt to plan ahead.

Additionally, electronic draft is highly recommened, way faster, and much more convenient based on what I've heard.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:23 pm

espresso wrote:Would anyone who finally ends up getting their GradPLUS credited to their "e-bill" mind posting that here? I'd like to just be able to send in the final Letter of Confirmation and that printed e-bill with "loans pending" written on it, but I can't get it out of my hair while the bill is incorrect.
:oops:

Your e-bill will not update until the end of August (the 30th). These are ran once a month in general, so they don't update. Check Albert for your updates.

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:08 pm

LjakW wrote:
red_sox wrote:
LjakW wrote:Everyone that is getting aid is still in "Returns Received - Award Verification in Progress" status, right? I would be really angry to find out that my aid was rejected for some reason with three weeks left.
Mine now appear on my electronic bill on Albert.
I too have the award listed on my bill, but in the FAAPS interface it still says "verification in progress."
https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html
Ah yes - mine too. I guess that doesn't matter now that we're in their system.

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:12 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:
espresso wrote:
red_sox wrote:
novaman3 wrote:Here's some information that might be of help to you guys...

I spoke with the financial aid office this morning regarding the missing loan credits on my bursar's bill. They told me that there was some sort of glitch which made it so that scholarships and loan credits don't appear on the bill and that they will be posting a new bill later this week. Also, they said that August 10th is only a suggested deadline and that you can pay your bill by the first day of class without a penalty.
My Stafford loan appeared on the bill last night (I didn't apply for GradPlus). Does anyone know when we get paid our loan money?
As far as I understand (and I need to look into this a little more) if its a public/gov't loan, it'll be applied to to your outstanding NYU balance and then given to you as a refund within a few days, either as a check or a Direct Deposit (as long as you sign up for Direct Deposit within 10 business days of the refund's being issued). I haven't seen the exact dates anywhere, I don't think.

Loan distribution is varied depending on several factors. At the earliest, loans can be disbursed 10 days prior to the start of classes (the excess going to you), but sometimes it could be the first week or two after the start of classes, so attempt to plan ahead.

Additionally, electronic draft is highly recommened, way faster, and much more convenient based on what I've heard.
I guess we have to give them our bank account details for this. This will be my first experience as a student in the US school system, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the admin. I'm planning to arrive a week early to get settled - does anyone know where I should "check in", to register, get student card etc? I'm planning to show up at the front desk (security) of the law school and hope they can send me in the right direction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 am

Anyone have any information about books and scheduling?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:50 pm

When did students generally receive their tuition refunds last year?

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:44 pm

badfish wrote:Anyone have any information about books and scheduling?
Looking on the facebook group for last year(yes I really do have nothing better to do these days) it seems like people find out about what section etc they're in in mid august. So Im guessing we won't know for another couple of weeks.

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:49 pm

sophie316 wrote:
Looking on the facebook group for last year(yes I really do have nothing better to do these days) it seems like people find out about what section etc they're in in mid august. So Im guessing we won't know for another couple of weeks.
This https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/jd/studentaffairs.cfm seems to indicate that we'll get course assignments and reading on the first day of orientation (Wednesday 19th).

I look forward to meeting you all then!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

espresso

New

Post by espresso » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:52 pm

dbt wrote:When did students generally receive their tuition refunds last year?

I spoke to the Bursar about this for this year. They do not know the exact date when they will receive the loan disbursements from the bank(s), but the lady I spoke with said they will receive the funds in mid-August, there is then 3-5 days of processing and then either checks will be sent out or funds will be Directly Deposited. You do need to give them your Direct Deposit form and a cancelled check (in person, according to her, which is not a problem for me since I'm in the area, but I didn't press her on whether it can be mailed in) 10 business days before refund disbursement for them to be able to actually Direct Deposit.

halfpancake

New

Post by halfpancake » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:56 pm

espresso wrote:

I spoke to the Bursar about this for this year. They do not know the exact date when they will receive the loan disbursements from the bank(s), but the lady I spoke with said they will receive the funds in mid-August, there is then 3-5 days of processing and then either checks will be sent out or funds will be Directly Deposited. You do need to give them your Direct Deposit form and a cancelled check (in person, according to her, which is not a problem for me since I'm in the area, but I didn't press her on whether it can be mailed in) 10 business days before refund disbursement for them to be able to actually Direct Deposit.
You can mail it in too. In the e-mail about the process to take out loans, there was a link to direct deposit. From there you just print the form you need and mail it in.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 pm

espresso wrote:

Cool thanks that's good to hear. I had read in the letter that it would be early September so I was bummed about that, but I've got Direct Deposit set up so hopefully it'll come in August and I can eat during the first week of school.

rightflankr

New

Post by rightflankr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:53 pm

Has anyone been able to do the "Student Health History Form" on the Student Health website?

I'm told that there aren't any forms available when I try to get in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:02 pm

rightflankr wrote:Has anyone been able to do the "Student Health History Form" on the Student Health website?

I was able to submit it.

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:21 pm

rightflankr wrote:Has anyone been able to do the "Student Health History Form" on the Student Health website?

I can't do it either..I can't log in. I think I'm just going to go in person when I get back to NYC next week....

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 pm

I was able to submit mine as well.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:56 pm

red_sox wrote:
sophie316 wrote:
This https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/jd/studentaffairs.cfm seems to indicate that we'll get course assignments and reading on the first day of orientation (Wednesday 19th).

so how the hell are we supposed to get books on time if we plan on getting them online? lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 pm

badfish wrote:
red_sox wrote:
sophie316 wrote:

so how the hell are we supposed to get books on time if we plan on getting them online? lol
Two-day shipping may get them to you in time.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:18 pm

red_sox wrote:
badfish wrote:
haha effectively wiping out any savings we may have had from buying online in the first place ;)

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 pm

badfish wrote:
red_sox wrote:
badfish wrote:
haha effectively wiping out any savings we may have had from buying online in the first place ;)
Amazon prime gives you free two-day shipping. It's about $70 for a year though - not sure if I'll save that much getting books online.

asaunde2

New

Post by asaunde2 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:22 pm

If we get assignments on the 19th then classes dont start till the 26th, that should be enough time for online book ordering. Besides, whatre the odds you get called on the first day...?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:39 pm

badfish wrote:
red_sox wrote:
sophie316 wrote:

I *think* that once you knwo your section(August 13th or so last year) you can find out your profs and then get reading lists, so that would give almost two weeks before actual classes start, assuming its the same as last year

Belili

New

Post by Belili » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:40 am

This may be a stupid question - but on the gradPLUS loan application, there was no option to select a lender.

From NYU's website - "All of your federal loans will be processed through Direct Loans. You will not choose a federal lender."

Also "You have the right to the lender of your choice."

And "NOTE: Do Not Apply for Your Federal Loans Directly with a Lender."

Those statements don't add up. I have the right to choose a lender, but DON'T DO IT, do this instead... and here you can't choose a lender?

Am I missing something?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 pm

You aren't missing anything. The instructions just don't make much sense. Unless you contact financial aid about it, I don't think we have any say in who we get GradPLUS loans from.

Belili

New

Post by Belili » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:50 pm

"The money comes straight from the government" "no outside lender"

That's what I've been told (just called)... crap. I wanted to take advantage of that .25% deduction in interest from one of the outside lenders.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”