NYU 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dbt

Silver

NYU 2012

Post by dbt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm surprised there isn't one of these already, though there are several "we love NYU threads." Add your name if you've decided to attend and let's use this thread to keep each other up to date on things.

NYU 2012:

dbt
mrcomfortable
aguyingeorgia
Sobriquet
carter17
jpfrawg
badfish
Last edited by dbt on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

valleygirl

New

Re: NYU 2012

Post by valleygirl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:35 pm

I'll let you know once I get back to school next week and check my mail :roll:

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:56 pm

I know your pain.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Seriously considering it. Visited today and it was amazing. Everyone was so nice (a change of pace from the rest of the city) and helpful too! Plus the location was prime!

k-k-k-katie

New

Post by k-k-k-katie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm in at NYU but still waiting to hear from CLS (probably my first choice...)

So I'll either be joining you at NYU or I'll have a TOUGH decision to make!

Will most of you NYU (or CLS) kids be living in the school housing or find something elsewhere in the city?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:56 pm

k-k-k-katie wrote:I'm in at NYU but still waiting to hear from CLS (probably my first choice...)

Will most of you NYU (or CLS) kids be living in the school housing or find something elsewhere in the city?
IF I go to NYU, I'll be living off campus. I have too many friends living in the city and I think getting away from the law school would likely be healthy.
Last edited by badfish on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrcomfortable

New

Post by mrcomfortable » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 pm

k-k-k-katie wrote:I'm in at NYU but still waiting to hear from CLS (probably my first choice...)

NYU >>>>> CLS...everyone knows the benefit of an ivy name is overrated. 8) i'm ready to get the NYU trolling started... but yea, i've been thinking about the school housing vs. off-campus question a bit. i feel like i could find a better deal in the east village or brooklyn on craigs list or something, but NYU housing would be way less of a hassle. no credit checks, guarantor requirements, broker fees, finding utilities, etc etc. and it would be great to live 2 minutes from school, but it seems like it might be nice to have some space every now and then. i suppose theres no lack of distractions in the village though... decisions, decisions! i guess i should just be glad that the whole getting in/deciding on a school thing is over already.

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:15 pm

are you in the klan?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm definitely living on-campus for the first year. For those that haven't visited, the housing buildings are nice and located I think a block from the law school in a great area. 2nd and 3rd years will depend on how things work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrcomfortable

New

Post by mrcomfortable » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:57 pm

dbt wrote:I'm definitely living on-campus for the first year. For those that haven't visited, the housing buildings are nice and located I think a block from the law school in a great area. 2nd and 3rd years will depend on how things work out.
I do feel like it's probably worth it to splurge a bit and live in the village, at least for 1L. Not so sure I want to pile commuting stress on top of everything else...being able to pop out of the library late at night and only have to walk 3 minutes to get home is awfully appealing.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:07 pm

mrcomfortable wrote:
dbt wrote:I'm definitely living on-campus for the first year. For those that haven't visited, the housing buildings are nice and located I think a block from the law school in a great area. 2nd and 3rd years will depend on how things work out.
I do feel like it's probably worth it to splurge a bit and live in the village, at least for 1L. Not so sure I want to pile commuting stress on top of everything else...being able to pop out of the library late at night and only have to walk 3 minutes to get home is awfully appealing.
Yeah, and the more I think about it, if everything basically hinges on 1L grades (as far as differentiating yourself from the rest of the class), then I'm all for dropping an extra 5-10k on housing so I'm completely comfortable during the most hellish year of my life.

mrcomfortable

New

Post by mrcomfortable » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:17 pm

dbt wrote:
mrcomfortable wrote:
Yeah, and the more I think about it, if everything basically hinges on 1L grades (as far as differentiating yourself from the rest of the class), then I'm all for dropping an extra 5-10k on housing so I'm completely comfortable during the most hellish year of my life.
and there you have it, my rationalization for paying an absurd premium to live in one of the most exciting/fun neighborhoods in nyc. makes sense, right? :)

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:04 am

still waiting to hear back from CLS... kind of leaning towards NYU. In either case, I'll be in NYC this fall. :celebrating:

EDIT: is NYU on-campus housing as bad as it sounds?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:26 am

yagrish wrote:still waiting to hear back from CLS... kind of leaning towards NYU. In either case, I'll be in NYC this fall. :celebrating:

EDIT: is NYU on-campus housing as bad as it sounds?
I've actually heard the housing is quite nice. When I visited I only saw the outside of the buildings (didn't feel like going in) but they were pretty snazzy, and honestly you can't beat the location.

I also have some friends at NYU undergrad and they have nothing but good things to say about the housing, and they've heard that the law school/grad housing is even nicer.

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:57 am

i think the deal is it's nice but insanely expensive. having lived in nyc for the last 3 years, i can't imagine paying more than i do now with no income to live in a dorm, even if it's convenient. that area by nyu is fine but and i imagine it's pretty dominated by nyu undergrads and there are much cooler parts of the city. (although the part about dealing with landlords, rising rent, and ny things like bedbugs is a real concern)

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:21 pm

The dorms are nice. Mercer is better than Dag, but both are okay. Dag is a bit closer, but the walk to school from Mercer is fine. There is a lot to do in the area, and living in the dorms is a nice way to meet people.

Grats to you all.

apx1393

New

Post by apx1393 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm

A question about the dorms:

I've heard that D'agostino can be inhabited by zealous 1Ls who can make living there noisy, but what about Mercer?

Also -When I study, I need near silence to concentrate. Will it be possible to study in either dorm, or is most of the studying done elsewhere?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Olto

New

Post by Olto » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm

" (although the part about dealing with landlords, rising rent, and ny things like bedbugs is a real concern)"
Major misconception(s) about NYC.

1. Dealing with landlords is not an issue 90% of the time. Housing laws in NYC protect the tenant and landlords know that. They want you to be happy or they're in for a hell of a ride with lawsuits and eviction processes. I've had 4 landlords since I've been in the city and ZERO problems. I also know enough people with countless different landlords who all have never complained to me about anything.

2. Rising rent? Compare any apmt on the market now to a comparable apmt 6 months ago. Rents are going down, or at least are stable. Maybe you mean rising rent between lease years? This is pretty standard for ANY city, and some landlords will waive it if the market is bad or if you are a good tenant.

3. Bedbugs!!! Wow. Out of the literally several hundred people that I know living in NYC, I have only heard of a bedbugs problem ONCE. It was on 13th between B and C in a shlockhouse. If you do your due diligence, you'll never rent in a place that has bedbugs.

Anyway, D'Ag is great. "I've heard that D'agostino can be inhabited by zealous 1Ls who can make living there noisy". The rooms are not noisy at ALL. I've NEVER heard anything from the hallways, and I've never heard of anyone here complaining about hearing things from the hallways or other rooms. The statement alone is premised on a false claim - "zealous 1Ls". Those are few and far between here at NYU ;-)

And to answer your question about being able to study in the dorms - it is quiet enough for me; I have not studied in the library or anywhere else for that matter.

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:39 pm

well not to be a prickly pear but i have 4 different (and very neat) friends who have had bedbug problems since i've lived here. as someone who wouldn't do student housing, i think living elsewhere is totally doable and even preferable, but just trying to be honest with those not from here that ny apartments can be an adventure- i've both heard and experienced some pretty wacky things in the almost 4 years i've been here.

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Lucky bastards!

Judicial

New

Post by Judicial » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Just finished reading through the admitted students packet -- NYU looks very appealing right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:49 pm

:D YAY! NYU! :D

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:51 pm

worst TLS name ever

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:55 pm

I don't see how it's any worse than neskerdoo.

EDIT: So anyone else decided yet; any more ED admits?

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:59 pm

no, it's worse than neskerdoo... it might not be worse than kkkneskerdoo, though...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”