GW 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
simmersiz

New

Re: GW 2012

Post by simmersiz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm

gogators wrote:Is anyone hear trying to work at the USPTO while going to PT?
I have a little bit of information regarding this. I originally wanted to do a work at the Patent office for a semester before I transferred to FT from PT, so I was looking for some sort of internship for the summer / Fall semester.

The guy I talked to at the patent office said they completely cut any sort of internship programs, etc. they had, but it sounded like there was regular work available if you were interested in doing it for 4 years while attending a PT program. I would definitely look into it if you are interested.

udlordly

New

Post by udlordly » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:54 pm

I just got my fin aid letters form Illinois and GW. I didn't realize that tuition and fees at GW (not factoring in COL) are actually about $1,200 less than out-of-state tuition and fees at Illinois.

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:31 pm

udlordly wrote:I just got my fin aid letters form Illinois and GW. I didn't realize that tuition and fees at GW (not factoring in COL) are actually about $1,200 less than out-of-state tuition and fees at Illinois.

That's surprising for a state school. Before I started this process I never dreamed law school tuition was ever this steep.

udlordly

New

Post by udlordly » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 am

4:30am and heading to the airport for the admitted students day, see you there.

bananas131

New

Post by bananas131 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the ASD. Anyone care to re-cap and give their thoughts of the event, students, school, etc.? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

udlordly

New

Post by udlordly » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:13 pm

bananas131 wrote:Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the ASD. Anyone care to re-cap and give their thoughts of the event, students, school, etc.? Thanks!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =8&t=66558

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:55 pm

So I've been talking to some professors and people at some other schools and started wondering something. Even though GW is very highly ranked in terms of IP, is it still a regional school for IP? Does someone on the east west coast who does IP know anything about the IP quality at GW? Or in that case does it become better to go to a better nationally known school with a less IP ranking?

simmersiz

New

Post by simmersiz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 pm

gogators wrote:So I've been talking to some professors and people at some other schools and started wondering something. Even though GW is very highly ranked in terms of IP, is it still a regional school for IP? Does someone on the east west coast who does IP know anything about the IP quality at GW? Or in that case does it become better to go to a better nationally known school with a less IP ranking?
I responded to this is the GW applicants thread if you didn't see it.

DjaliBashit

New

Post by DjaliBashit » Tue May 12, 2009 12:29 pm

What do you guys think about Dean Richard's e-mail today?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mavisrae

New

Post by mavisrae » Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 pm

I thought it was an excellent idea. I think it would give me a better chance to make the transition back to school, knowing that I'd have only 3 exams the first semester. Of course, that would be balance out with the 5 in the spring, but hopefully I'd be in the school "groove" by then. Also, the extra study time on Friday would be great!!!

calizner

New

Post by calizner » Tue May 12, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm pretty sure you'd have more than 3 exams??

mavisrae

New

Post by mavisrae » Tue May 12, 2009 1:52 pm

calizner wrote:I'm pretty sure you'd have more than 3 exams??
Apparently, someone either didn't get the e-mail or can't read.

Quoting Dean Richard's email: "Specifically, students in this section would carry 14 credit hours in the fall semester and 16 credit hours in the spring semester. Students would attend classes every afternoon and every evening, Monday through Thursday, sometime between the hours of 1:40 and 8:00 p.m. There would be no Friday classes. Students with the Monday through Thursday schedule would have 3 final exams at the end of the fall semester and 5 final exams at the end of the spring semester."

I love how people on this forum start with the assumption that they know everything and then try to form conclusions from there.

calizner

New

Post by calizner » Wed May 13, 2009 10:52 am

Adam Kunz wrote:

Quoting Dean Richard's email: "Specifically, students in this section would carry 14 credit hours in the fall semester and 16 credit hours in the spring semester. Students would attend classes every afternoon and every evening, Monday through Thursday, sometime between the hours of 1:40 and 8:00 p.m. There would be no Friday classes. Students with the Monday through Thursday schedule would have 3 final exams at the end of the fall semester and 5 final exams at the end of the spring semester."

I love how people on this forum start with the assumption that they know everything and then try to form conclusions from there.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, however, my email said this:

Specifically, students who select this new schedule option would carry 14 credit hours in the fall semester and 16 credit hours in the spring semester. Classes would meet anytime between the hours of 1:00 and 8:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday. There would be no Friday classes.

...but I see where you are coming from.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Radio King

New

Post by Radio King » Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 am

calizner wrote:
Adam Kunz wrote:

Specifically, students who select this new schedule option would carry 14 credit hours in the fall semester and 16 credit hours in the spring semester. Classes would meet anytime between the hours of 1:00 and 8:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday. There would be no Friday classes.

Could someone post the full email? I'm a rising GW 2L and trying to figure out how the credits break down (this is the first I've heard anything about a new section schedule for 1Ls). You'd likely have to take both Civ Pro I and Contracts I, which are both 3 credits, and LRW, which is 2 credits. That's a total of 8, and to get to 14, you'd have to take either two 3 credit classes or a 4 credit class with a 2 credit class.

So it seems like you'd likely have 4 exams anyway, unless they're combining LRW into a single semester 4 credit class (which would suuuccckkk). Def please fill me in with more info, though. I'm glad to see the administration trying out some different approaches and giving the students some more flexibility.

mavisrae

New

Post by mavisrae » Wed May 13, 2009 11:07 am

calizner wrote:
Adam Kunz wrote:

Why would the e-mails say two different things? There's no indication on yours of how many exams the section would have?

calizner

New

Post by calizner » Wed May 13, 2009 11:56 am

Full email I received:

Good morning. I write to ask for your input as we consider adding a new schedule option for fall 2009 entering first-year students.

Currently, classes for GW Law full-time first-year law students are scheduled to meet during the day, anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Full-time students carry 15 credit hours in each of the fall and spring semesters (15 hours of class meeting time each week).

In response to a number of requests for a full-time schedule that does not include Friday classes, we are considering adding an alternative schedule option that would involve a combination of afternoon and evening classes, Monday through Thursday. I am writing to find out if this is something that may be of interest to you. Depending upon the level of interest, you may have the opportunity to choose a first-year schedule with no Friday classes.

It would be very helpful if you would respond to this message -- no later than Wednesday, May 13th -- and let me know if a Monday through Thursday, afternoon/evening schedule would be of interest to you. Your response will not be a commitment, but will help us determine whether we should proceed with implementation of this new schedule option.

Weird.

mavisrae

New

Post by mavisrae » Wed May 13, 2009 12:04 pm

calizner wrote:Full email I received:

Good morning. I write to ask for your input as we consider adding a new schedule option for fall 2009 entering first-year students.

Currently, classes for GW Law full-time first-year law students are scheduled to meet during the day, anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Full-time students carry 15 credit hours in each of the fall and spring semesters (15 hours of class meeting time each week).

In response to a number of requests for a full-time schedule that does not include Friday classes, we are considering adding an alternative schedule option that would involve a combination of afternoon and evening classes, Monday through Thursday. I am writing to find out if this is something that may be of interest to you. Depending upon the level of interest, you may have the opportunity to choose a first-year schedule with no Friday classes.

It would be very helpful if you would respond to this message -- no later than Wednesday, May 13th -- and let me know if a Monday through Thursday, afternoon/evening schedule would be of interest to you. Your response will not be a commitment, but will help us determine whether we should proceed with implementation of this new schedule option.

Weird.
That IS strange. Maybe she was trying to "sweeten the deal" for some to encourage us to choose that option. Obviously, as she says, responding isn't making a commitment, but she might use the responses to make tentative offers to some for that section. Interesting.
Last edited by mavisrae on Fri May 22, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ksp405

New

Post by ksp405 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 pm

any suggestions re. how to live in DC on $1400/month? I can't do it... is this really all they budget for? am obviously assumming the "9 month" budget is really a 12 month one, at least for the first year... and having a car is not helping. I'm out of ideas.

simmersiz

New

Post by simmersiz » Tue May 19, 2009 5:18 pm

ksp405 wrote:any suggestions re. how to live in DC on $1400/month? I can't do it... is this really all they budget for? am obviously assumming the "9 month" budget is really a 12 month one, at least for the first year... and having a car is not helping. I'm out of ideas.
Have you considered selling your car?

jped

New

Post by jped » Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 am

It looks like GW is weighing the option of adding a 5th full-time section. The PT admits got an email asking if they were willing to switch to the FT division. I wonder what this means for the FT section. Will we only have 25 people left (which should make Socratic method classes a real blast)? During the evening preview session, 75% of the questions students asked were regarding how quickly they could transfer to FT.

Does GW have a limit to how many students they can pump out each year?

Bsoo

New

Post by Bsoo » Sat May 30, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm an evening student by choice- but I'll hopefully have company! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sat May 30, 2009 5:50 pm

jped wrote:It looks like GW is weighing the option of adding a 5th full-time section. The PT admits got an email asking if they were willing to switch to the FT division. I wonder what this means for the FT section. Will we only have 25 people left (which should make Socratic method classes a real blast)? During the evening preview session, 75% of the questions students asked were regarding how quickly they could transfer to FT.

Does GW have a limit to how many students they can pump out each year?
It sounds as though it's far from a certainty. I got the email, also...and I'd probably make the switch if it became an available option.

Btw...hello GW thread. Where the f--- have you been hiding?

simmersiz

New

Post by simmersiz » Sun May 31, 2009 10:21 am

I would definitely be interested in the 5th FT section if its offered, but I guess we'll have to see!

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 am

GW people should plan on meeting up at some point over the summer (if possible/feasible). It'd be nice to not have to wait until orientation to meet classmates.

simmersiz

New

Post by simmersiz » Sun May 31, 2009 1:08 pm

MrOrange wrote:GW people should plan on meeting up at some point over the summer (if possible/feasible). It'd be nice to not have to wait until orientation to meet classmates.
I'd be game for that. I think I'll actually be in DC near the end of July if anyone wants to meet up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”