Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Styrofoam

New

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Styrofoam » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:39 am

Anyone else sitting around their Hyde Park apartment bored until school starts?

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:01 am

I will be sitting around Regents for all of next week with pretty much nothing to do- if anyone wants to meet up, let me know!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am

Styrofoam wrote:Anyone else sitting around their Hyde Park apartment bored until school starts?
Not exactly in Hyde Park yet, but in the Chicago area and, yes, bored until the school starts (for the greatest part). So, hi!

Styrofoam

New

Post by Styrofoam » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:17 am

I live in the Algonquin, across the street from Regents. If you'd like to grab coffee at the Hyde Park Art Gallery, 2 min. walk from your place, I'll be around all next week as well.

Edit: We could also get a group together to go to a museum, or grab a bite downtown or something.

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Yointer wrote:No, north is fine. Having thought more about the situation, I suggest you take the Dan Ryan to 47th, then head east on 47th.
Thanks again, Yointer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Raz14

New

Post by Raz14 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:16 pm

So, I'm living in Regents and planning to get much of my furniture once I arrive, but I'd strongly prefer to have a mattress when I get there. For those of you with knowledge and who have moved in already, any suggestions on how to do this/where to purchase an affordable mattress?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm a 2L, but somewhat bored. Tonight, anyway.

jigga-hjalmar

New

Post by jigga-hjalmar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Has anybody living in the Algonquin moved in yet? I'm trying to figure out what the process is for moving in and getting furniture delivered and the leasing office hasn't been very helpful. They make you reserve the elevator in two hour windows with advance notice but I know of no furniture company that will give you more than a vague approximation of the day it will be delivered and at most give you a four hour window of when it will come on the night before! Please help!

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:31 pm

So I was a block away from the incident on State and Randolph streets yesterday. We were on state and lake and were going to keep walking south on state but decided randomly to get on the loop trains but we got off on randolph and wabash one stop later because we changed our minds about where we were going. At that point every cop in town was driving past us to state. 2 years in New York, living in bad neighborhoods and I was only that close to gunshots one other time. Yikes!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:09 pm

Where did/do you live in NY?

I live/lived in the rapidly gentrifying West Harlem, and then that broad daylight armed robbery turned quadruple shooting happened, one block from my apartment. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... ame&st=cse

Today I admired the bullet holes that are still in the windows.

I'm still more scared to walk around any part of Hyde Park alone after dark than Harlem or Washington Heights. I did venture out on the 55 bus past the red line on my way to the airport yesterday. It looked like going TO the subway/el would be fine, and there were a lot of people going that way. But waiting for the 55 bus after getting off the red line seemed like it'd be highly questionable at off hours. There's just nothing going on, lots of boarded up buildings, and not enough hubbub to feel really safe.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:09 am

I lived in west harlem too, 117th and Manhattan. I had someone try to break in while I was there but they left when they realized someone was home. I used to walk through Morningside Park at night. That was sketchy. I couldn't afford cabs around it all the time and my girlfriend lived on the other side. Then I moved to crown heights which was relatively safe on the main thoroughfare but you really wouldn't want to go walking down the side streets going towards Bushwick.

My impression of Hyde Park so far is that it looks pretty safe in the day time but you don't want to present an easy mark at night. New York doesn't have all these shadowy alleys and long poorly lit underpasses . There are so many great places to mug someone here!

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:11 am

Raz14 wrote:So, I'm living in Regents and planning to get much of my furniture once I arrive, but I'd strongly prefer to have a mattress when I get there. For those of you with knowledge and who have moved in already, any suggestions on how to do this/where to purchase an affordable mattress?
+1

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:33 am

Most criminals are actually more scared of you than you are of them. Or maybe that's bears. I forget.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yointer

New

Post by Yointer » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:36 am

Dead Ringer wrote:My impression of Hyde Park so far is that it looks pretty safe in the day time but you don't want to present an easy mark at night. New York doesn't have all these shadowy alleys and long poorly lit underpasses . There are so many great places to mug someone here!
It's always better to be safe than sorry, so this is good advice, albeit very conservative. In the daytime, there's virtually nowhere I wouldn't feel comfortable walking by myself, including the bad neighborhoods outside of Hyde Park. When I fly out of O'Hare, I walk across Washington Park alone with a suitcase over to the Garfield Greenline stop and it has never been an issue. The few times I've come home from O'Hare at night, I've elected to avoid doing this because of the high probability of being mugged, but I've done it half a dozen times in the daylight with no issue. At night, I generally don't walk by myself anywhere other than in Hyde Park proper. That said, I've walked a mile or two across Hyde Park at 2 or 3am by myself many, many times and never had an issue. Hyde Park is a large neighborhood with very sporadic muggings. It's far from the ghetto it's made out to be on the internet. My advice is to stay in the "safe area" (W of Cottage Grove, E of LSD, N or 60th, and S of 47th) at night and to use common sense - you'll be fine. Females should be extra-careful because of the occasional incidents of sexual assault. Muggings seem to be more common (based on the periodic security alerts), but a few of the criminals appear to be targeting women.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Random question: for those planning on throwing their hats into the 1L firm job ring, when are you going to apply? Pretty much every firm that takes 1Ls says to apply as soon after December 1 as possible, but we won't have our grades for at least a few more weeks. Do you wait for grades and then apply, or send in your resume December 1? Not sure what I'd put on it other than UG stuff, come to think of it...

Also...moving into Regents Tuesday! So definitely up for coffee/whatever other outings we come up with after that.

deadbeat

New

Post by deadbeat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm going to do what the firms say. They (should, hopefully) know that we won't have grades until later. I'm assuming they will mostly just hold onto our info until grades come out, or look at what other experience we've got, and then make a decision based on those factors.

The fact that some firms ask for resumes on Dec. 1st, while others want us to wait until grades come out, makes me think that each firm has its own methodology for hiring 1Ls. Of course, ITE, that methodology may be to ignore 1Ls. :)

treschic

New

Post by treschic » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:32 am

RussianGirl wrote:
Raz14 wrote:So, I'm living in Regents and planning to get much of my furniture once I arrive, but I'd strongly prefer to have a mattress when I get there. For those of you with knowledge and who have moved in already, any suggestions on how to do this/where to purchase an affordable mattress?
+1
+2

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

etwake

New

Post by etwake » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:Most criminals are actually more scared of you than you are of them. Or maybe that's bears. I forget.
hahahaha. Someone at UofC with a sense of humor?

jigga-hjalmar

New

Post by jigga-hjalmar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:35 pm

treschic wrote:
RussianGirl wrote:
+1
+2
I ordered one at Value City. I went to the store near where I live to test it out and actually order it and I'm just having it delivered to Chicago the day I plan on moving in. They have a decent selection of relatively affordable mattresses.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:54 pm

deadbeat wrote:I'm going to do what the firms say. They (should, hopefully) know that we won't have grades until later. I'm assuming they will mostly just hold onto our info until grades come out, or look at what other experience we've got, and then make a decision based on those factors.

The fact that some firms ask for resumes on Dec. 1st, while others want us to wait until grades come out, makes me think that each firm has its own methodology for hiring 1Ls. Of course, ITE, that methodology may be to ignore 1Ls. :)
At least ignore giving them checks.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:54 pm

So I wrote up a guide to Hyde Park (and included my google map) and posted it in the TLS Content Competition section. It has pretty much everything I've answered about Hyde Park over the last year in it...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=84243

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:44 am

jigga-hjalmar wrote:Has anybody living in the Algonquin moved in yet? I'm trying to figure out what the process is for moving in and getting furniture delivered and the leasing office hasn't been very helpful. They make you reserve the elevator in two hour windows with advance notice but I know of no furniture company that will give you more than a vague approximation of the day it will be delivered and at most give you a four hour window of when it will come on the night before! Please help!
I am pretty sure that the service elevator runs all day

jigga-hjalmar

New

Post by jigga-hjalmar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 am

lucydog wrote:
jigga-hjalmar wrote:Has anybody living in the Algonquin moved in yet? I'm trying to figure out what the process is for moving in and getting furniture delivered and the leasing office hasn't been very helpful. They make you reserve the elevator in two hour windows with advance notice but I know of no furniture company that will give you more than a vague approximation of the day it will be delivered and at most give you a four hour window of when it will come on the night before! Please help!
Well that's not what the people in the office say. They insist that you need a reservation for your two-hour window. I think they give you the key when it's your time or something.

Do you know any more details about this?

Styrofoam

New

Post by Styrofoam » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:22 am

jigga-hjalmar wrote:
lucydog wrote:
Well that's not what the people in the office say. They insist that you need a reservation for your two-hour window. I think they give you the key when it's your time or something.

Do you know any more details about this?
Ok, I live here, I moved in recently, here is the scoop:

You should reserve the service elevator, but it doesn't really matter. That being said, ppl were moving stuff on it during our reserved window and that was just that. I mean, if there are ppl with heavy things to move, they are going to use the elevator too. Moreover, the service elevator gets use for non-service things all the time. I take it every week to do my laundry, because it goes all the way down to the basement. Also, sometimes I take it just because it's next to the garbage chute and I don't feel like walking the five seconds back to the normal elevator.

If you or anyone is moving in and needs help, let me know. PM me or something and let me know when you'll be here, I'll gladly try to come meet you and lend a hand.

treschic

New

Post by treschic » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:39 am

jigga-hjalmar wrote:
treschic wrote:
RussianGirl wrote:
+1
+2
I ordered one at Value City. I went to the store near where I live to test it out and actually order it and I'm just having it delivered to Chicago the day I plan on moving in. They have a decent selection of relatively affordable mattresses.
Is everyone getting their furniture at Value City/American Signature? Keylimelove also suggested it, and I'm starting to think it's the new IKEA for law students.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”