Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gannak

New

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by gannak » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:34 am

thanks peh

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Oh no am I going to be socially handicapped by not moving to Chicago until just before orientation? Who else is doing this?

FunSized

New

Post by FunSized » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:59 pm

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 pm

FunSized wrote:In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
There is probably something in this.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Meanwhile what is everyone reading of their own will while they still have time for that? I took out the last three Harry Potter books (they were surprisingly great), then I am rereading "Love in a Cold Climate" and "Pursuit of Love" by Nancy Mitford, then going on to fill in the few small gaps I have left in the Jeeves and Wooster and Blandings Castle stories.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:22 pm

What a boring saturday. If anyone wants a tour of Hyde Park or to chat or anything, just PM me.

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Oh no am I going to be socially handicapped by not moving to Chicago until just before orientation? Who else is doing this?
I'm moving to Chicago about the same time as everyone else, but, I've learned just yesterday, my "newly renovated" apartment won't actually be ready when I get there. So it seems I'll be moving into a different unit in another building and moving again in 2 weeks (or so they say...). At least you won't be the only one moving just before orientation. Not sure that's a consolation.

On another note, is anyone else intrigued by whirlyball? Ran across it in the moving guide they recommended. Field hockey meets bumper cars. First peapod, now whirlyball - I think I am falling in love with this city.

cnola

New

Post by cnola » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Oh no am I going to be socially handicapped by not moving to Chicago until just before orientation? Who else is doing this?

I'm not moving up until September 16. I am kind of worried about this too haha

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:07 pm

cnola wrote:

I'm not moving up until September 16. I am kind of worried about this too haha
I'll be there Sept 11th, the 16th doesn't seem too late. I'm not sure what I'll do with my free time anyways except wander around the city...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Meanwhile what is everyone reading of their own will while they still have time for that? I took out the last three Harry Potter books (they were surprisingly great), then I am rereading "Love in a Cold Climate" and "Pursuit of Love" by Nancy Mitford, then going on to fill in the few small gaps I have left in the Jeeves and Wooster and Blandings Castle stories.
Ahhh, reading for leisure... what a concept! Now that I have free time for pretty much the first time since adolescence and probably the last time in my life, I've compiled a list of books I've always wanted to read but couldn't.
So far this summer, I've been able to FINALLY read Memoirs of a Geisha and Anna Karenina. Also, separately from the list, I read "Bright Lights, Big City" (sweet book, boyfriend's bro's recommendation), Devil Wear Prada (very random... picked it up in Munich looking for a chill mindless pastime and read it on trains and buses in Europe - this book actually turned out to be surprisingly cool and much better than the movie IMO, which I watched right after I got back to the States). I'm currently reading Angels and Demons - and loving the page-turning :D

While I still have time, I am trying to tackle Power of One, Slaughterhouse Five, 100 Years of Solitude (can't believe I still haven't read this one), and Atlas Shrugged, which has been on my bookshelf forever.

Also, I guess I should read Devil in the White City... how many people are actually doing that?
Last edited by RussianGirl on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:01 pm

I haven't hung out with any other law students yet. I don't think you'll be socially handicapped. We're not throwing big parties and conspiring against you every night (yet).

I read Devil in the White City in April on vacation. It's an interesting book, and I liked it at the time, but I remember wanting more resolution before it ended, which really annoyed me. I expected more murder mystery plot and didn't get it.

Anyone already here doing anything during the week or want to do anything? Say Tuesday? I'm still fresh from NY and can go for wandering around or anything else.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:53 pm

RussianGirl wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:Meanwhile what is everyone reading of their own will while they still have time for that? I took out the last three Harry Potter books (they were surprisingly great), then I am rereading "Love in a Cold Climate" and "Pursuit of Love" by Nancy Mitford, then going on to fill in the few small gaps I have left in the Jeeves and Wooster and Blandings Castle stories.
Ahhh, reading for leisure... what a concept! Now that I have free time for pretty much the first time since adolescence and probably the last time in my life, I've compiled a list of books I've always wanted to read but couldn't.
So far this summer, I've been able to FINALLY read the Memoirs of a Geisha (awesome) and Anna Karenina. Also, separately from the list, I read "Bright Lights, Big City" (sweet book, boyfriend's bro's recommendation), Devil Wear Prada (very random... picked it up in Munich looking for a chill mindless pastime and read it on trains and buses in Europe - this book actually turned out to be surprisingly cool and much better than the movie IMO, which I watched right after I got back to the States). I'm currently reading Angels and Demons - and loving the page-turning :D

While I still have time, I am trying to tackle Power of One, Slaughterhouse 5, 100 Years of Solitude (can't believe I still haven't read this one), and Atlas Shrugged, which has been on my bookshelf forever.

Also, I guess I should read The Devil in the White City... how many people are actually doing that?
Great books.

I bought The Devil in the White City, but have yet to touch it. I'll probably read that and a few others over the next few weeks...maybe

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:31 am

Prof. Leiter said in the NYtimes that you can pass on Atlas Shrugged. Fountainhead was lame. Read something by Kazuo Ishiguro, "Never Let Me Go" being my favorite.

Thank Peh, I don't feel so bad now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:08 am

I only moved in so early because I'm living with med students, who start this week. I'm not even going to be here most of the time before orientation- I'm taking the opportunity to travel while I still can!

I just finished The Nine by Jefferey Toobin. Even though it's a bit on the light side (i.e., not terribly technical) for future law students, I still found it pretty fascinating. I'm a tad bitter though that it was so interesting- I had to read tons of Toobin's journal articles for my poli sci classes in undergrad, and none were remotely as easy to read as his book.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:58 pm

I loved Fountainhead but when I tried to read Atlas Shrugged I discovered it was the same exact theme only with different characters, so I abandoned it.

I'm already in Regents (though not in my own apartment til the 31st), anyone want to hang out tonight?

M2008

New

Post by M2008 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Prof. Leiter said in the NYtimes that you can pass on Atlas Shrugged. Fountainhead was lame. Read something by Kazuo Ishiguro, "Never Let Me Go" being my favorite.

Thank Peh, I don't feel so bad now.
Professor Miles during Torts in the winter quarter gave us his synopsis of Atlas Shrugged, in this sort of complaining/entitled teenage boy voice: "Oh no—I can't do any work because FDR is going to take all my money. *switches to his regular voice* There! That's the book—I just saved you a thousand pages."

I think we addressed this elsewhere, but as to the concern that you'll be socially isolated compared to the folks that arrived earlier, I wouldn't be worried. For the first couple weeks people tend to hang out with who they first met, but those groups break up a bit fairly quickly. The main effect will be that since they already have some people they know and can talk to, the burden will be on you at first to go up and say "hi" with some folks.

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:40 am

I will be moving to Hyde Park late next week. So excited! Feels odd that everyone will be starting law school in the next couple of weeks and we have to wait until the end of September.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 am

Is that piss poor excuse for a "gym" on the ground floor of Regents really all there is??? When I heard how much they charged (and when they said it was world class), I assumed it was world class. NOT A SINGLE ELLIPTICAL!?!? JUST THREE arc trainers, the really awkward cha cha girl track that in no way resembles a normal running stride??? You've got to be fucking kidding me. No pull up machine. No towel service. My main reason for moving here was that there was a good gym in the building. I wish I had saved myself the building's markup and bought myself $6000 worth of decent exercise equipment. I am really really upset.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:58 am

pehaigllleises wrote:Is that piss poor excuse for a "gym" on the ground floor of Regents really all there is??? When I heard how much they charged (and when they said it was world class), I assumed it was world class. NOT A SINGLE ELLIPTICAL!?!? JUST THREE arc trainers, the really awkward cha cha girl track that in no way resembles a normal running stride??? You've got to be fucking kidding me. No pull up machine. No towel service. My main reason for moving here was that there was a good gym in the building. I wish I had saved myself the building's markup and bought myself $6000 worth of decent exercise equipment. I am really really upset.
Are there really no ellipticals? :(

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:14 am

Not that I saw. I'm hoping someone will correct me and tell me how stupid I am for not noticing the secret cardio room. I'm considering purchasing my own gym quality elliptical. Before I put out 3-4 grand I want to see how easy it is to get to and from the UofC gym and how crowded it is.

Gym equipment is a big deal to me. I know it seems silly. But I lost quite a few dress sizes mainly due to exercise in the past two years and I feel so much better and I think it would kill me or at best make me seriously depressed to gain it back.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 am

Eh, all law students get fat and out of shape. It's not that bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:47 am

Phew. At least it looks like the 172 goes from near Regents, past 55th & Ellis, and on to the law school. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How/when do we get our UofC ID cards?

Yointer

New

Post by Yointer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:15 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Is that piss poor excuse for a "gym" on the ground floor of Regents really all there is??? When I heard how much they charged (and when they said it was world class), I assumed it was world class. NOT A SINGLE ELLIPTICAL!?!? JUST THREE arc trainers, the really awkward cha cha girl track that in no way resembles a normal running stride??? You've got to be fucking kidding me. No pull up machine. No towel service. My main reason for moving here was that there was a good gym in the building. I wish I had saved myself the building's markup and bought myself $6000 worth of decent exercise equipment. I am really really upset.
*sigh* I tried to warn you guys. In addition to having a terrible gym that costs an astronomical amount of money, Regents is also a long way from Ratner (which is free FWIW). Although the gym situation didn't factor into my initial decision to avoid Regents, it ended up being an important consideration in the long run: I don't think I would have gone to the gym very often if I had to ride a bus to get there.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:28 pm

I heard over and over that Regents is overpriced, but no one ever told me that the gym sucks. I think as long as the same bus that I have to take to class takes me past Ratner, I'll be fine. I'm motivated enough (hello, wedding dress), and will be guilted a lot every time I have to pass by it.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:46 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Phew. At least it looks like the 172 goes from near Regents, past 55th & Ellis, and on to the law school. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How/when do we get our UofC ID cards?
You're right.

UofC cards were not available until mid-September last year. They took pictures at Bartlett.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”