Chicago Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Locked
User avatar
lucydog

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by lucydog » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 pm

reminiscent wrote:room assignments are out for new graduate dorms. if i arrive early, will there be other ppl around to play with, or will i be bored out of my mind? dont know how many ILs choose to live there.
This is good to hear, maybe they will have assignments out for the rest of university owned housing soon.

User avatar
jaen78

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by jaen78 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Anyone know how many classes we take each quarter during 1L? I remember them talking about it at ASW, but I don't remember. And we only get 1 elective the whole first year right?

User avatar
doyleoil

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by doyleoil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:03 pm

jaen78 wrote:Anyone know how many classes we take each quarter during 1L? I remember them talking about it at ASW, but I don't remember. And we only get 1 elective the whole first year right?
4/quarter, i'm pretty sure - 2 exams after 1st quarter, 2 after 2nd, 4 after 3rd - i can't remember how many electives though - i thought 2, but i have no idea where i got that

User avatar
jaen78

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by jaen78 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:04 pm

I hope we get two electives...I've been hunting around on the website for a sample 1L schedule, but no luck yet. I'm sure it's there somewhere.

User avatar
keylimelove

New
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by keylimelove » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:05 pm

jaen78 wrote:I hope we get two electives...I've been hunting around on the website for a sample 1L schedule, but no luck yet. I'm sure it's there somewhere.
I saw one today online...I believe it was under the student section

Here it is: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
doyleoil

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by doyleoil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:08 pm

almost forgot about lrw - ::sigh:: - bye bye weekends

User avatar
doyleoil

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by doyleoil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 pm

jaen78 wrote:I hope we get two electives...I've been hunting around on the website for a sample 1L schedule, but no luck yet. I'm sure it's there somewhere.
looks like only one during spring quarter

User avatar
jaen78

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by jaen78 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Bummer. Oh well, another 2 years to make up for it.

seeker63

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by seeker63 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:29 pm

doyleoil wrote:almost forgot about lrw - ::sigh:: - bye bye weekends
Legal writing is basically one assignment per quarter with irregular classes. The assignment is generally due about midquarter, maybe 5 weeks in. You spend about 3 weeks stressing about it per quarter and ignore it the rest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
Mr. T6

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:37 pm

reminiscent wrote:room assignments are out for new graduate dorms. if i arrive early, will there be other ppl around to play with, or will i be bored out of my mind? dont know how many ILs choose to live there.
I'm probably the only person who can answer that question from experience. It depends on how early. When I arrived on September 11th last year (I remember the date for obvious reasons), there were only two others in the building. But they were there, and we went to parties at Regents, the Pub, et cetera.

This year, the 2Ls and I will arrive early -- probably earlier than you -- because of OCI.
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. T6

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 pm

seeker63 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:almost forgot about lrw - ::sigh:: - bye bye weekends
Legal writing is basically one assignment per quarter with irregular classes. The assignment is generally due about midquarter, maybe 5 weeks in. You spend about 3 weeks stressing about it per quarter and ignore it the rest.
Agreed. It can be a joke class, because you earn a 178 by virtue of a "good faith effort." For me, the effort was closer to:

1st quarter memo -- read cases, wrote bullshit in the last twelve hours, turned it in, a lot of editing.
2nd quarter memo -- two studious weekends, my best grade in the class.
Brief -- two studious weekends, hated IP, hated the subject ("new findings, new understandings" -- WTF, and I hated representing Smoogel because they were wrong), got a much-deserved "meh" grade.

Maybe a total of 75 hours for the entire year? I invested far less in LRW than any other class with the exception of Crim and maybe Public International.

I'm going to repeat my earlier comment: your weekends should not be consumed by Law School.

User avatar
RussianGirl

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by RussianGirl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:05 am

Any Bulls fans on this board?

Young team, I think the years we're attending U of C will be good for them =)

User avatar
Chuch

New
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Chuch » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:45 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Walk softly and carry a big stun gun.
+10
--LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
hmlee

Bronze
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by hmlee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:16 pm

Chuch wrote:
pehaigllleises wrote:Walk softly and carry a big stun gun.
+10
--LinkRemoved--
All of those locations are waaaaay far away from the U of C. The shootings on the north side are somewhat alarming, but as for the ones on the South Side... as a U of C student, unless you were in those areas for some sort of volunteering or public interest work then you're up to something shady.

reminiscent

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by reminiscent » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:12 pm

asdf
Last edited by reminiscent on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pehaigllleises

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:26 pm

I'm not sure what Oakland is like, but in my experience of NYC there's nothing to do in the really bad parts of town anyway. We're talking no shops, lots of boarded windows, and lots of thugs, thug wannabes, bums, and roaming animals. This is what I'm content with imagining-and not going and finding out-what the area outside of the UofC bubble is like.

User avatar
Mr. T6

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:13 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I'm not sure what Oakland is like, but in my experience of NYC there's nothing to do in the really bad parts of town anyway. We're talking no shops, lots of boarded windows, and lots of thugs, thug wannabes, bums, and roaming animals. This is what I'm content with imagining-and not going and finding out-what the area outside of the UofC bubble is like.
I've walked/driven through Washington Park a few times.

-- Run-down supermarkets
-- Burning trashcans (I kid you not)
-- A hostile populace
-- Places to get cheap clothes. I bought a nice flannel shirt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
hmlee

Bronze
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by hmlee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:28 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I'm not sure what Oakland is like, but in my experience of NYC there's nothing to do in the really bad parts of town anyway. We're talking no shops, lots of boarded windows, and lots of thugs, thug wannabes, bums, and roaming animals. This is what I'm content with imagining-and not going and finding out-what the area outside of the UofC bubble is like.
This is pretty much it. With very few exceptions, in these areas, there isn't anything you couldn't find in a place in Chicago that's at least slightly safer. That's why I said outside of legit work / volunteering tasks, if you're purposefully hanging around Englewood and you don't have a dear old granny living there, you're up to something shady. Such as obtaining various forms of illicit substances, though, really, you shouldn't even need to go there to do that.

User avatar
Mel Zelaya

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mel Zelaya » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
pehaigllleises wrote:I'm not sure what Oakland is like, but in my experience of NYC there's nothing to do in the really bad parts of town anyway. We're talking no shops, lots of boarded windows, and lots of thugs, thug wannabes, bums, and roaming animals. This is what I'm content with imagining-and not going and finding out-what the area outside of the UofC bubble is like.
I've walked/driven through Washington Park a few times.

-- Run-down supermarkets
-- Burning trashcans (I kid you not)
-- A hostile populace
-- Places to get cheap clothes. I bought a nice flannel shirt.
Image

User avatar
southernlady

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by southernlady » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:54 pm

hmlee wrote:
pehaigllleises wrote:I'm not sure what Oakland is like, but in my experience of NYC there's nothing to do in the really bad parts of town anyway. We're talking no shops, lots of boarded windows, and lots of thugs, thug wannabes, bums, and roaming animals. This is what I'm content with imagining-and not going and finding out-what the area outside of the UofC bubble is like.
This is pretty much it. With very few exceptions, in these areas, there isn't anything you couldn't find in a place in Chicago that's at least slightly safer. That's why I said outside of legit work / volunteering tasks, if you're purposefully hanging around Englewood and you don't have a dear old granny living there, you're up to something shady. Such as obtaining various forms of illicit substances, though, really, you shouldn't even need to go there to do that.
hahaha fun fact.

speaking of scary streets near the law school, did anyone else try to take the metra or whatever to the law school during the ASW? i got off at cottage grove, i think, and the woman at the station would not give me walking directions to the law school. she begged me to take the bus, lol. chicago and i really got off on the right foot! but i did meet a nice undergrad student who told me exactly where to go, so there was good hospitality too.

User avatar
sealrsqr

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by sealrsqr » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:39 pm

I took the Metra to ASW. Getting to campus was fine. But I planned to go home using a different station and I seriously couldn't find it (walked right past it - twice). (Too much wine at the reception?) It was getting dark, it was raining and my train was due in 7 minutes. I was so happy to find an off duty cab driver who said I was not the first U of C student he has rescued in his career. One poor gal had taken the Metra the wrong direction (south) and refused to leave the station without his getting out of the cab to escort her. Not to mention the story he told of being robbed at gunpoint by kids who had called the cab service to get him to show up...

Thank goodness the LSAT doesn't test for common sense. There'd be no way my cycle would've gone as well as it had...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
Dead Ringer

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Dead Ringer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:49 pm

sealrsqr wrote:I took the Metra to ASW. Getting to campus was fine. But I planned to go home using a different station and I seriously couldn't find it (walked right past it - twice). (Too much wine at the reception?) It was getting dark, it was raining and my train was due in 7 minutes. I was so happy to find an off duty cab driver who said I was not the first U of C student he has rescued in his career. One poor gal had taken the Metra the wrong direction (south) and refused to leave the station without his getting out of the cab to escort her. Not to mention the story he told of being robbed at gunpoint by kids who had called the cab service to get him to show up...

Thank goodness the LSAT doesn't test for common sense. There'd be no way my cycle would've gone as well as it had...
I walked from the metra on my first visit and that didn't seem bad at all. At ASW however I got off at the garfield-green metro stop and I'll admit it looked fairly sketchy. It was getting a little late and I may have saved the lives of two Northwestern girls who were planning on walking from there through the park.

User avatar
Mel Zelaya

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mel Zelaya » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:I walked from the metra on my first visit and that didn't seem bad at all. At ASW however I got off at the garfield-green metro stop and I'll admit it looked fairly sketchy. It was getting a little late and I may have saved the lives of two Northwestern girls who were planning on walking from there through the park.
Did they thank you properly? :wink:

User avatar
hmlee

Bronze
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by hmlee » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Yeah uhm, green line = bad. Don't take it on the south side.

usaojeff

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by usaojeff » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:
sealrsqr wrote:I took the Metra to ASW. Getting to campus was fine. But I planned to go home using a different station and I seriously couldn't find it (walked right past it - twice). (Too much wine at the reception?) It was getting dark, it was raining and my train was due in 7 minutes. I was so happy to find an off duty cab driver who said I was not the first U of C student he has rescued in his career. One poor gal had taken the Metra the wrong direction (south) and refused to leave the station without his getting out of the cab to escort her. Not to mention the story he told of being robbed at gunpoint by kids who had called the cab service to get him to show up...

Thank goodness the LSAT doesn't test for common sense. There'd be no way my cycle would've gone as well as it had...
I walked from the metra on my first visit and that didn't seem bad at all. At ASW however I got off at the garfield-green metro stop and I'll admit it looked fairly sketchy. It was getting a little late and I may have saved the lives of two Northwestern girls who were planning on walking from there through the park.

Wait . . . you saved some NW'ern chicks??? Traitor. Seriously bro, your loyalty needs questioning.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Locked

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”