Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mr. T6

Bronze

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:27 pm

All right, whatever. Find what works for you and do that. For the first few weeks, brief everything so you learn how to read a case.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Mr. T6, are you available to meet up as you said you were? I'd be curious to talk about U of C more if you really have time to spare.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:46 am

Does anyone have high hopes for the Bears this year? Cutler is a beast.

(doing research assistant work at 2 AM)

Mel Zelaya

New

Post by Mel Zelaya » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:50 am

Mr. T6 wrote:Does anyone have high hopes for the Bears this year? Cutler is a beast.

The bears still are who we thought they were

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:55 am

Mel Zelaya wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:Does anyone have high hopes for the Bears this year? Cutler is a beast.

The bears still are who we thought they were
YOU WANT TO CROWN THEM, YOU CROWN THEIR ASS.

Ha, nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 pm

SR1313 wrote:Southernlady, your avatar is awesome.
just saw this. big Mean Girls fan here. thanks!

M2008

New

Post by M2008 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 am

My 2 cents:

Fall quarter: Even though I stopped briefing cases completely in the second two quarters, I briefed almost every case fall quarter, and I would do things the same way if I had it to do again. A big part of law school is being able to distill a case down into a few sentences, and briefing helps you learn that skill. The exception to this is Elements of the Law, where the cases are covered in less depth and you can probably get away with not briefing after a month.

Except for one or two weekends when your writing assignment is due, you should be able to get away with slacking. (I ended up working on a bunch of weekends, but only because I would go out 3-4 nights during the week) You only have 2 exams and a lot of time during finals week, so you hardly need to put in any exam prep work before the last week (many people start their intensive study over Thanksgiving break - it's also a good idea to get your ducks in a row to send out resumes in December). However, professors stop taking questions a couple days before the exam, so you can't push all the work to the last minute or you won't be able to ask them anything.

My biggest comment about this quarter is please, take the time to get to know (1) parts of Chicago other than Hyde Park while the weather is still nice and (2) members of your class outside of your section/building before you get too busy to do so. You'll have all year to get to know the people across the hall and to go to the Pub and Jimmy's.

Winter quarter: Academically, things are probably a bit easier this quarter since you've started to get the hang of reading cases. You still only have 2 exams, but they cover double the material, so you will have to start preparing a few weeks earlier.

There's still a decent amount of time to be social, but people are less likely to want to go out, and if they are they are more likely to want to stay in Hyde Park.

Spring Quarter: Your work this quarter is worth over half your grade for the year. (You're tested on 3x the material you were tested on fall quarter) Consequently, after about two weeks into the quarter, everyone will be burrowed into their textbooks. On the bright side, the weather is getting better, so at least the walk to the library is more pleasant.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:27 pm

I agree with M2008's comments. I would add that what he meant by distilling cases is that they all contain, on appeal, a:

1. Legal issue. This is a question that must be resolved in order to decide the case. A few sample issues are:

-- Does a government taking for the purpose of economic development violate the "public use" restriction of the 5th amendment? (Kelo v. New London, a case you'll encounter in Property)

-- Can a plaintiff bring suit against a manufacturer, despite the lack of privity? Alternatively, does the manufacturer owe the car buyer a duty of care? (MacPherson v. Buick, a case you'll encounter in both Elements and Torts)

-- If a manufacturer puts products into the "stream of commerce," knowing that they could end up in the forum state, are they subject to personal jurisdiction by meeting the minimum contacts requirement? (Asahi Metal Industry v. Superior Court, an enormously complicated case you'll see in Civ Pro II)

-- If a defendant did not intend the specific harm of a contact, is he still subject to tort liability? (Vosburg v. Putney, the first case I read in Law School, and a Gersen favorite)

2. Holding. This is the court's answer to the legal issue, as constrained by the facts. Yes, no, maybe.

That's it. Exams test how well you can use these holdings, and your own incipient legal reasoning, to find claims and liabilities in a long fact pattern.

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Did everyone get the email about the Summer Alumni Matching Program? Did the current students on this board find this program useful?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm

lucydog wrote:Did everyone get the email about the Summer Alumni Matching Program? Did the current students on this board find this program useful?
I didn't find it that helpful, but my alum worked in-house for a shipping and freight company. His career path didn't interest me, and still doesn't. Suppliers, wholesalers, distributors -- who cares?

Be specific. Hope to get someone who takes you out for dinner. Avoid ordering the veal.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:52 pm

I hate to pop in here but I was browsing through Chicago's website looking for the list of firms that show up for Fall OCI. It seems that they don't let prospective students access this list and lock it only for Chicago students. Am I right about this? If so, would one of you mind PMing me a copy of the list? Thanks.

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:50 pm

you can also use this hopeful: --LinkRemoved--

go to advanced search and then pick your school.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:30 pm

jaen78 wrote:Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...
Many did. Welcome to the new economy. Only 2/3rd of last year's firms returned for this one.

I'm optimistic, but realistic. I plan to bid on many safety firms, and interview until I'm blue in the face and nearing exhaustion.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
jaen78 wrote:Do you think many firms will drop out this year due to the economy? Hope not...
Many did. Welcome to the new economy. Only 2/3rd of last year's firms returned for this one.

I'm optimistic, but realistic. I plan to bid on many safety firms, and interview until I'm blue in the face and nearing exhaustion.
Do you know if a lot of the firms that dropped out from farther away? I'm really interested in going back south (most likely ATL) after law school, so it would crush my dreams if a lot of the ATL firms have dropped out :cry:

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:28 pm

keylimelove wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:

Do you know if a lot of the firms that dropped out from farther away? I'm really interested in going back south (most likely ATL) after law school, so it would crush my dreams if a lot of the ATL firms have dropped out :cry:
Atlanta is a niche market. If you're from there, you should send your resume. For most of the Atlanta firms, the $1,000 a day cost to OCI at Chicago is not worth it, because of the low probability that they'll hire a Chicago associate. In fact, they may not even fill up their interview slots. We have literally one person from Georgia in our class.

However, I think that K & S, the big player in the Atlanta market, is still at our OCI.

How do you think the Falcons will do this year? I can see them in the playoffs with a wild-card berth.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
keylimelove wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:

Atlanta is a niche market. If you're from there, you should send your resume. For most of the Atlanta firms, the $1,000 a day cost to OCI at Chicago is not worth it, because of the low probability that they'll hire a Chicago associate. In fact, they may not even fill up their interview slots. We have literally one person from Georgia in our class.

However, I think that K & S, the big player in the Atlanta market, is still at our OCI.

How do you think the Falcons will do this year? I can see them in the playoffs with a wild-card berth.
I guess that makes sense, but damn this economy.

I'm actually not from Atlanta (which really worried me in deciding between a southern school and Chicago), but I went to UG in the South and have family in the area. Career services did a pretty good job of convincing me that those two factors would show enough of a tie to the region, and combined with the UChicago degree it'd be appealing for Atlanta firms. I also really liked the fact that since most people from the school don't go south, there's less competition for jobs...at least that's what I was told so hopefully it'll be true :)

I know nothing about football, I went to my UG's games to people watch and gossip.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CAtoUC

New

Post by CAtoUC » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm

hey!

i'm new to this and hope i'm posting in the right place - but i wanted to find a room mate or two to get an apartment with

anyone interested?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm

I don't know any non-Texans who are going South of the Mason-Dixon. Family is considered an adequate connection for most firms, unless it's a distant cousin or newfound boyfriend or girlfriend.

Avoid carpetbagging and you'll be fine. I've also heard that Duke and Emory are considered Yankee schools.

I'm researching firms all day; I need to figure out my bids by the 24th.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:I don't know any non-Texans who are going South of the Mason-Dixon. Family is considered an adequate connection for most firms, unless it's a distant cousin or newfound boyfriend or girlfriend.

Avoid carpetbagging and you'll be fine. I've also heard that Duke and Emory are considered Yankee schools.

I'm researching firms all day; I need to figure out my bids by the 24th.
What's your plan T6? I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed by this.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm

This is how I'm doing it.

First, I used ATL to get a good sense of the Vault 100 and read firm scuttlebutt:

--LinkRemoved--

Then I went through all 405 firms and isolated the DC, Chicago, and New York ones. I eliminated a few because they are in poor financial shape (e.g., dla piper, Latham NYC) or somewhat out of my league (Wachtell, W&C, Susman, and a few of the DC Appellate shops).

Now I'm looking at their individual websites, and Vault, to determine which ones are good for commercial litigation and/or white collar, the two practices that I'm most interested in. I'm also determining their "strength" areas, so I don't look like a fool. I wouldn't blab about Antitrust in a SRZ interview, or corporate work in a Boies Schiller one.

Finally, I downloaded stock OCI questions and plan to mold them to any given interview. Garnish with OCI mock interviews, a new resume, and a journal (we'll find out soon enough . . . here's hoping for LR), and viola!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:This is how I'm doing it.

First, I used ATL to get a good sense of the Vault 100 and read firm scuttlebutt:

--LinkRemoved--

Then I went through all 405 firms and isolated the DC, Chicago, and New York ones. I eliminated a few because they are in poor financial shape (e.g., DLA Piper, Latham NYC) or somewhat out of my league (Wachtell, W&C, Susman, and a few of the DC Appellate shops).

Now I'm looking at their individual websites, and Vault, to determine which ones are good for commercial litigation and/or white collar, the two practices that I'm most interested in. I'm also determining their "strength" areas, so I don't look like a fool. I wouldn't blab about Antitrust in a SRZ interview, or corporate work in a Boies Schiller one.

Finally, I downloaded stock OCI questions and plan to mold them to any given interview. Garnish with OCI mock interviews, a new resume, and a journal (we'll find out soon enough . . . here's hoping for LR), and viola!
I'm only a 0L but I'm saving this for later. This sounds smart.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:This is how I'm doing it.

--LinkRemoved--

Then I went through all 405 firms and isolated the DC, Chicago, and New York ones. I eliminated a few because they are in poor financial shape (e.g., DLA Piper, Latham NYC) or somewhat out of my league (Wachtell, W&C, Susman, and a few of the DC Appellate shops).

Sounds like a good approach, except for the reference to a stringed instrument at the end.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:05 pm

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/voila.html

You win this round.

A classmate left a 56 oz. bag of M&Ms at my desk earlier today. Now it's almost half gone. I'm never eating chocolate again.

M2008

New

Post by M2008 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:28 pm

When you say out of your league, do you mean because the firm put "Top X% preferred" on their listing? And how did you estimate your rank? I mean, it's easy to tell if you're above median, but I'm not sure other than that. I've heard people say that top 10% is usually between 179.5-180.0, but I've never heard a source for this piece of semi-conventional wisdom (other than "some 2L").

Do you have a preference between the three markets? Or are you more interested in the best firms in your area rather than location?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”