Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
doyleoil

Silver

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 pm

reminiscent wrote:eff me, winter's gonna suck.
+1,000,000

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:50 pm

doyleoil wrote:
reminiscent wrote:eff me, winter's gonna suck.
+1,000,000
It's not that bad . . . if you're a 2L.

:)

Nah, my friends and I are going to have cars and go out frequently. Plus, I'm from a cold Midwestern state.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:Plus, I'm from a cold Midwestern state.
i grew up in one - being gone for awhile has softened me - :(

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Mr. T6 wrote: Nah, my friends and I are going to have cars and go out frequently. Plus, I'm from a cold Midwestern state.
i heard from somewhere that during the really cold periods, everyone hibernates, stays holed up during the weekends, and plans their grocery runs and any other activities requiring outside activity way in advance in order to avoid dying from the cold. is this true? does that mean i can't go out at all (assuming i won't be studying my ass off for classes on the weekends) during the winter? this seems terribly depressing.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:59 pm

hey t6, i have a question - i'm gonna be in chicago early - do you know if i can get my student i.d. and use the gym and stuff on campus before classes actually start?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:02 pm

reminiscent wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote: Nah, my friends and I are going to have cars and go out frequently. Plus, I'm from a cold Midwestern state.
i heard from somewhere that during the really cold periods, everyone hibernates, stays holed up during the weekends, and plans their grocery runs and any other activities requiring outside activity way in advance in order to avoid dying from the cold. is this true? does that mean i can't go out at all (assuming i won't be studying my ass off for classes on the weekends) during the winter? this seems terribly depressing.
Although I think that's roughly accurate, I'll give you the details of my own year:

Late January and early February this year were terrible. I don't mean "cold." I mean inclement weather warnings, in red bold, on the bottom of Fox football. One February day, the wind chill, combined with the negative temperature, resulted in a temperature of negative twenty-five degrees.

The good news is that maybe two or three weeks of the year are like that, while the others are fine. For most of December, late February, and March, my friends and I wore comfortable clothing and regularly walked from New Grad to Treasure Island.

You will not, and should not, study during the weekends. Law School is simply not that demanding.

It's not that depressing, although I won't kid you when I say that it's not exactly fun.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:You will not, and should not, study during the weekends. Law School is simply not that demanding.
dear god, please let this be true

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:05 pm

doyleoil wrote:hey t6, i have a question - i'm gonna be in chicago early - do you know if i can get my student i.d. and use the gym and stuff on campus before classes actually start?
Good question. I arrived on September 9th, and there was a place to get my ID, but I don't know about this year. I would definitely call the bursar's office.

What other stuff did you want to use? The Law Library and school is always open to students. You won't need an ID. Ratner requires an ID. The Reg requires an ID (I study there sometimes, and currently I'm reading Anna Karenina, which I borrowed from there). Hmm . . . I think that's it. The buses require student ID, too, but I doubt you'll be riding them, unless you live in Regents.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:07 pm

doyleoil wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:You will not, and should not, study during the weekends. Law School is simply not that demanding.
Yeah, seriously. Some of the best students never did shit on the weekends, and some of the worst knocked themselves out with studying. It's all about exam aptitude.

This year, I plan on studying maybe two hours a day, if that. I probably won't even read the cases. I heard that Evidence, Corporations, and Legislation require more statutory acumen, which I haven't developed, but I can't imagine that'll suck up too much time. *knocks on wood*
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
reminiscent wrote:
Although I think that's roughly accurate, I'll give you the details of my own year:

Late January and early February this year were terrible. I don't mean "cold." I mean inclement weather warnings, in red bold, on the bottom of Fox football. One February day, the wind chill, combined with the negative temperature, resulted in a temperature of negative twenty-five degrees.

The good news is that maybe two or three weeks of the year are like that, while the others are fine. For most of December, late February, and March, my friends and I wore comfortable clothing and regularly walked from New Grad to Treasure Island.

You will not, and should not, study during the weekends. Law School is simply not that demanding.

It's not that depressing, although I won't kid you when I say that it's not exactly fun.
damn, so helpful. ty :D

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:hey t6, i have a question - i'm gonna be in chicago early - do you know if i can get my student i.d. and use the gym and stuff on campus before classes actually start?
Good question. I arrived on September 9th, and there was a place to get my ID, but I don't know about this year. I would definitely call the bursar's office.

What other stuff did you want to use? The Law Library and school is always open to students. You won't need an ID. Ratner requires an ID. The Reg requires an ID (I study there sometimes, and currently I'm reading Anna Karenina, which I borrowed from there). Hmm . . . I think that's it. The buses require student ID, too, but I doubt you'll be riding them, unless you live in Regents.
thanks - yeah i mostly was just thinking of ratner, but good to know that the law library is always open - and yes i'm one of the many regents lemmings, so the ability to use the bus would be a plus

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:09 pm

since uchi has infamously banned wireless, does that mean all professors allow laptops in their classrooms?

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 pm

doyleoil wrote: thanks - yeah i mostly was just thinking of ratner, but good to know that the law library is always open - and yes i'm one of the many regents lemmings, so the ability to use the bus would be a plus
When did Regents get back with you about your move-in date? I submitted my app at the end of May and still haven't heard jack

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:14 pm

They told me my move in date roughly a month ago, but I'm moving in at the beginning of August.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 pm

keylimelove wrote:
doyleoil wrote: thanks - yeah i mostly was just thinking of ratner, but good to know that the law library is always open - and yes i'm one of the many regents lemmings, so the ability to use the bus would be a plus
When did Regents get back with you about your move-in date? I submitted my app at the end of May and still haven't heard jack
well, ditto really - haven't signed the lease yet - but krista seemed to pretty much assure me the apartment would be available when i asked to have it - let's hope that's the case - you can always e-mail them though, or call

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:16 pm

I haven't yet looked into apts or loans. I fail at life.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:18 pm

doyleoil wrote:
keylimelove wrote:
well, ditto really - haven't signed the lease yet - but krista seemed to pretty much assure me the apartment would be available when i asked to have it - let's hope that's the case - you can always e-mail them though, or call
Yea, my overzealous mother already booked us a flight for Sept 11 ( :? ) so hopefully I'll have an apt by then to go to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:19 pm

dresden doll wrote:I haven't yet looked into apts or loans. I fail at life.
the loan app is really easy - and you should be living in regents (just sayin') :D

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:19 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:They told me my move in date roughly a month ago, but I'm moving in at the beginning of August.
Why so early?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm

reminiscent wrote:since uchi has infamously banned wireless, does that mean all professors allow laptops in their classrooms?
Yes. Students take notes on their laptops.

The wireless ban is overblown. Many people elude it entirely -- I'm not tech-savvy, so don't ask how -- while others enjoy the mac chat feature, spider solitaire, and, amazingly enough, full-blown Madden 2008 with hi-res graphics. (I won't out the gamer who did this.)

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm

doyleoil wrote:
the loan app is really easy - and you should be living in regents (just sayin') :D
May I ask why you like Regents so much? I've lived in Regents and New Grad, so I think I have a good point of comparison. IMO, Regents is over-priced and overrated.

For the first year, the place is practically crawling with law students. I see too many of my peers, even now in the summer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
May I ask why you like Regents so much? I've lived in Regents and New Grad, so I think I have a good point of comparison. IMO, Regents is over-priced and overrated.

For the first year, the place is practically crawling with law students. I see too many of my peers, even now in the summer.
honestly, for my first year and for someone unfamiliar with the area around u. of c., it was just the easiest option - i didn't have a lot of time to check out areas of h.p. i felt comfortable with - and i've lived in an apartment too long to go back to dorm life, so that's why i didn't consider new grad - i'm sure there are probably more affordable options in hyde park, but it's only one year, so i'll survive (right?)

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:08 pm

doyleoil wrote:
Yeah, I am afraid weekends are to be sectioned off for drinking escapades on Gothic grounds and trolling Chicago bars.

Doylie, I can't live in Regents. :( SO must commute to Schaumburg so we have to live somewhere downtown or his commute will be evil.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:15 pm

dresden doll wrote:Yeah, I am afraid weekends are to be sectioned off for drinking escapades on Gothic grounds and trolling Chicago bars.

Doylie, I can't live in Regents. :( SO must commute to Schaumburg so we have to live somewhere downtown or his commute will be evil.
oh that's right - you're our weekend place to crash - probably better that way

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

dresden doll wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
Yeah, I am afraid weekends are to be sectioned off for drinking escapades on Gothic grounds and trolling Chicago bars.

Schaumburg is far away. Does he work at Motorola?

I would say take the train to Arlington Heights and then take another bus, but that sounds like a world of pain. You're probably aware of a faster commute.

Drinking escapades are great.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”