Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mr. T6

Bronze

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:14 pm

M2008 wrote:When you say out of your league, do you mean because the firm put "Top X% preferred" on their listing? And how did you estimate your rank? I mean, it's easy to tell if you're above median, but I'm not sure other than that. I've heard people say that top 10% is usually between 179.5-180.0, but I've never heard a source for this piece of semi-conventional wisdom (other than "some 2L").

Do you have a preference between the three markets? Or are you more interested in the best firms in your area rather than location?
I use a spreadsheet of the callback medians from 2007 and 2005. I can forward it to you. Wachtell has a median callback of 180.54. Nobody cares about rank because it's so mysterious. Looking at callback medians, the general firm tiers are:

180+ (future appellate clerk, possibly even SCOTUS, and able to get any firm)
178.5+ (future D.Ct. clerk, possibly even appellate, and able to get most firms)
177+ (above median, possibly future D.Ct. clerk, and able to get many firms)

I don't even want to think about the last tier. I'd like to think that everyone who made a good faith effort, including myself, is at least above the median. The bracket you mention is considered the top 10% because it's grade-on Law Review.

I'm most interested in firms like Quinn and Boies, because I want to get trial experience and litigate. Location isn't vital; I would go to LA if a good firm wanted me there. I would even go to a mid-size market like Denver. All I want is a solvent firm, a steady stream of lit work, parsley-garnished meals, and a studio apartment that overlooks a body of water.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:21 am

interesting
Last edited by seeker63 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:49 am

Did they change the admitted students site login? The one I was originally given doesn't work on the new site. Could someone PM it to me?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:23 am

seeker63 wrote:forward to me as well
Private message me your e-mail address and I will send it to you. This goes for anyone.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Sorry, I'm making my offer contingent upon revealing your identity. I don't entirely feel comfortable sending this information, which OCI specifically requests to keep private, to EasySkeezy@aol.com (not a real address, but an example).

If it makes you feel better, I send it through my UChicago address, so you know who I am.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:48 am

lucydog wrote:Am I the only one who applied for non-New Grad university housing? I applied and sent in my deposit a couple of weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear back.
I sent mine in May and called them a week ago. They said they haven't started September yet.

starshield

New

Post by starshield » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:14 am

Got accepted for transfer yesterday but deciding on whether to do it or not. Anyone know a transfer or rising 3L I could talk to about Chicago 2L year?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Does anyone want to join the UChicago fantasy football league? We currently have an odd number, so your participation would be appreciated, and it would be a good way to meet 2Ls and 3Ls.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:40 am

Are they currently making U of C law sweatshirts? I didn't see them on the school book store site.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:11 am

Does anyone have recommendations for what bank to use? My current bank doesn't have a branch in Chicago, so I'm looking at switching to Bank of America, Citibank, or Chase. I'll be living in Regents, so an ATM/branch close to there or campus would be a plus.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:11 am

Dead Ringer wrote:Are they currently making U of C law sweatshirts? I didn't see them on the school book store site.
When I was in Chicago in May all I could find was an unattractive University of Chicago (really small print: The Law School) t-shirt in dark blue. I couldn't find anything that just said CHICAGO LAW of some sort in the school's colors.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:15 am

pehaigllleises wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:Are they currently making U of C law sweatshirts? I didn't see them on the school book store site.
When I was in Chicago in May all I could find was an unattractive University of Chicago (really small print: The Law School) t-shirt in dark blue. I couldn't find anything that just said CHICAGO LAW of some sort in the school's colors.
we need to make this a project (maybe one of the student orgs sells stuff?)
marburger06 wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for what bank to use? My current bank doesn't have a branch in Chicago, so I'm looking at switching to Bank of America, Citibank, or Chase. I'll be living in Regents, so an ATM/branch close to there or campus would be a plus.
i'm sticking with chase just because i don't feel like switching - there are several atms in the regents/law school area:

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_ ... atmlocator

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Student organizations sell Chicago Law gear, for inflated prices, in the fall and spring. If you want a hoodie with "Chicago Law" in bold letters, you won't have to look far to find it.

Televised senate hearings are the worst -- terrible combination of pandering and dumbing down law with judicial buzz words. "A national dialogue on judicial activism"? :roll:

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by Mr. T6 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:35 pm

T6 you never emailed me the admitted students login. I sent my cmail address. I feel like an outsider. Thanks in advance.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:T6 you never emailed me the admitted students login. I sent my cmail address. I feel like an outsider. Thanks in advance.
Huh? I don't have this.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Oops, serious confusion on my part. I read your offer to forward something else right under where I asked someone for the admitted students login and thought you were offering. That call back info was pretty great though.
Last edited by Dead Ringer on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:T6 you never emailed me the admitted students login. I sent my cmail address. I feel like an outsider. Thanks in advance.
I'll give you the login and pword, although the board is really, really dead. Just PM me your chi e-mail and I'll send it from mine

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 pm

marburger06 wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for what bank to use? My current bank doesn't have a branch in Chicago, so I'm looking at switching to Bank of America, Citibank, or Chase. I'll be living in Regents, so an ATM/branch close to there or campus would be a plus.
Ooo, this is something I forgot about. Are there Bank of America locations near Regents and campus and in the city in general? I am guessing that Wachovia is not popular in Chicago. But is Wells Fargo? Thanks in advance for any info.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:09 pm

keylimelove wrote:
I'll give you the login and pword, although the board is really, really dead. Just PM me your chi e-mail and I'll send it from mine
Yeah the password I already had worked for the message board. It just didn't work on the regular admitted students login. I'll call Chicago about it.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:
keylimelove wrote:
Yeah the password I already had worked for the message board. It just didn't work on the regular admitted students login. I'll call Chicago about it.
Yea I have no idea about that, I didn't even know there was a regular admitted students login...sorry.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Okay it appears it's just the same password but you have to hit the login button rather than just "enter." Problem solved.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 pm

vealoscar wrote:
lucydog wrote:Am I the only one who applied for non-New Grad university housing? I applied and sent in my deposit a couple of weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear back.
I sent mine in May and called them a week ago. They said they haven't started September yet.
Thanks for the update. I have just started to look into the private market while I wait to hear back from them.

Neko83

New

Post by Neko83 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:51 am

Mr. T6, I messaged you my chicago email address. Could you send me that callback sheet? Thanks again man!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Just had lunch with Epstein. Taking questions.

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:Just had lunch with Epstein. Taking questions.
Was he friendly? Did you ask him any questions? Did he mention Ricci v. DeStefano?

Also, what did he eat?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”