Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
eruffin

New

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by eruffin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 pm

I sent in my deposit yesterday. Glad cycle is finally over and looking forward to the fall.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:12 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Maybe we're all too busy being cool to post. 8)
80 pages is a bit insane. More than 10 would be nice though.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm

eruffin wrote:I sent in my deposit yesterday. Glad cycle is finally over and looking forward to the fall.
Congrats. It feels so good. Now we wait for late start.

eruffin

New

Post by eruffin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:22 pm

^ I'm glad of that though. My ugrad doesn't finish until the first week in June.

Late start will give plenty of time to relax. Plus, maybe make a little money if I can find a summer job.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

eruffin wrote:^ I'm glad of that though. My ugrad doesn't finish until the first week in June.

Late start will give plenty of time to relax. Plus, maybe make a little money if I can find a summer job.
and get through some phat reading lists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Where are you all from?
Are you still in undergrad? Or whatcha been doing?
Summer plans?
Other pertinent or non relevant info?

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:44 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Where are you all from?
Summer plans?
1. Chicago suburbs.
2. In UG in Milwaukee
3. Graduate. Party until lease (6/1) and/or money runs out. Move in with mom. Work PT, fix up things around house, play with dog, read lots, hopefully find some trips to take.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:04 pm

1. NYC
2. Working in a BIG LAW[YERMILL] downtown for the past 2 1/2 years. I graduated at the end of '06.
3. Working. Taking two weeks off to move into Regents in early August, then living in NYC and finishing up my time at work until early September. Then moving into Chicago for good. Sounds ridiculous but there are good reasons.
4. I love coffee, I love making baked goods, I like spending time in the gym, I have the friendliest cat ever, I'm engaged to be married after 1L, and I'm a rabid fan of Philadelphia sports teams. And I'm really excited about UofC.

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 pm

1. NYC
2. Graduated in 2006... have been working in non-legal field, traveling, hanging out in the park.
3. F-ed. i have no job, and a lease through november that i still haven't managed to break. maybe i will temp?
4. I love tea! I can talk about tea all day with you. I'm giving up a major, major heartbreaker job next year to go to UofC. I need a career change, but still, it's agonizing. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usaojeff

New

Post by usaojeff » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Summer plans?
1. Seattle
2. Class of '08, was teaching abroad for a bit but got bored of that.
3. Continue working my b/s job until my lease is up, move into Regents as soon as possible after that. Read E&Es (no gunner jokes please :) ) and study Mandarin.
4. Looking for a male, non-smoking, relatively chill roommate for Regents.

Go Maroons!

eruffin

New

Post by eruffin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:09 pm

Summer plans?
Northeast Georgia not too far from Atlanta.
Finishing up undergrad in Virginia.
Read some stuff I haven't gotten around to, get a summer job with my useless (for monetary purposes) education in the humanities; nothing revolutionary here.

As an aside, are you guys planning to live in regents? I ask because I am also looking for a roommate.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 pm

There were some people posting on the admitted students board on the a.s. website looking for roommates, you might want to try there as well. I'm going to be living in a 1 bedroom because my fiance will be living with me on and off 1L year, and I don't want to piss anyone off. I think he and I might stay in Regents all 3 years. We won't be able to afford to move downtown off his resident's salary and my no-salary until after I've graduated and started working.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Summer plans?
1.) Bright, sunny Illinois (but no, not near Chicago)
2.) Finishing up UG in Missouri and traumatized to be leaving what I firmly believe is the greatest college town in America
3.) Finding some PT job to kill time and pay for my obsession with buying stuff from Amazon and single-handedly funding most of the local coffee shops here
4.) Moving to Regents the first week of September with my wonderful SO. UC has always been my dream school, so I'm really pumped to start.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 pm

you guys are all living in regent's? i am torn... the on campus housing is so much cheaper.

eruffin

New

Post by eruffin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:11 pm

gannak wrote:you guys are all living in regent's? i am torn... the on campus housing is so much cheaper.
I thought about on campus housing. I don't want to live in New Grad, since it seems pretty dorm style(plus, the visitor rules in New Grad seem pretty harsh, I expect my gf to visit several times). I'm afraid the school owned apartments may be hit or miss, and I'm concerned about safety since I've never lived in a large urban area. Regents struck me as very safe, and I don't think it will be that much more expensive if I find a roommate for a two-bedroom.

Basically, I'm willing to trade off some on price for what I see as safety and convenience. Plus, I think its worth something to live with lots of classmates.

Since its only a one year lease, I can always reevaluate after 1L when I know the area better.

inquirewithin

New

Post by inquirewithin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 pm

hi everyone! i've been committed to chicago for a while now, so i will be joining you all in the fall. i've been thinking about housing as well. regents is nice, but seems way too expensive. i'll probably try on campus housing or will rent something around campus through craigslist. i'll be living with my girlfriend, at least for the spring quarter, so new grad is definitely out. i graduated college in 05 and am actually lucky to have a good job right now, but i can't wait to announce my departure and start school.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:03 am

Yointer makes a pretty good case for living in on-campus, non-New Grad graduate housing over in the "Chicago 1L taking ?s" thread. I have to say I'm leaning towards doing that. I have reservations about living in a lakefront high-rise even if Saul Bellow did live there. For those who weren't at ASW, it sounded like it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that for 2L and 3L years people move up into either the North Side or the South Loop.
jaen78 wrote:2.) Finishing up UG in Missouri and traumatized to be leaving what I firmly believe is the greatest college town in America
Columbia's great, but nothing compares to Austin and Madison. I also have mad love for Athens even though I've yet to go there.
pehaigllleises wrote: I'm a rabid fan of Philadelphia sports teams.
I love Jamie Moyer and Donovan McNabb, but I will always despise Freddie Mitchell after 4th and 26.
eruffin wrote:I'm concerned about safety since I've never lived in a large urban area.
Take this with a grain of salt because I've been living in bad areas of Milwaukee for years now (had my car stolen, the whole nine), but U of C's campus is not bad at all. The grad housing is in a totally safe area--it's when you go South or West that you'll be in bad neighborhoods. I wouldn't consider safety a big issue between Regents and on-campus stuff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

etwake

New

Post by etwake » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:15 am

1. SW subBurbs
2. Working pt/ft for last 10 months
3. Employment at will. For all I know, I could be making 2grand a week next month, or I can still be collecting unemployment insurance.
4. Just bought my condo today, on Prairie street in the South Loop. Looking forward to spending the next 3 years there!!!

manusevil

New

Post by manusevil » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:18 am

1.Atlanta
2.Teaching in South Korea for the last 2 years, developing a penchant for spicy food and long nights of heavy drinking.
3.Traveling through Europe until late August and chillin' in the ATL.
4.Currently trying to work out roommate situation. I'd prefer a 3-bedroom private apartment near the lake and 53rd (seems like where all the decent stuff to do in Hyde Park is, plus it's next to a subway stop for easy access to campus). Regents is super nice, but hard to justify the expense on a student budget when the rent for a 3-bedroom closer to campus is around $950/month (LinkRemoved) including heat.

Maybe someone can fill me in (I couldn't attend the ASW), is the draw just the fact that so many other law students live there?

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:18 am

more like three-bedroom dump. that apartment is icky... when you see regent's you will understand the cost.

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:31 am

Hi everyone,

I am still thinking things over, but there is a decent chance I will be at Chicago in the fall.

Exactly how much does Regents cost? I see that there are prices on the website, but didn't UChi mention something about a student discount? And do the prices include utilities? And how much is the gym membership exactly? I am trying to get a better idea of the cost of living.

And for good measure...
1. Atlanta suburbs
2. Graduated in the fall and currently interning in DC
3. Plan to do nothing this summer and hang out in DC or in the Atlanta suburbs
4. If I go to Chicago (deciding soon!), I will be looking for a female roommate at Regents, preferably recently graduated types that will want to share cabs downtown!

Good to see there are other Southerners on here willing to brave the cold "North"!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:16 am

I emailed someone at Regents a while back and this is what I was told:

$1165/mo for a one bedroom, $1550-1650 for a two bedroom with the law school package. The package deal ends 5/31.

One year lease comes with a 3 month membership to the gym, and the two year lease comes with a one year membership to the gym. I don't know if you get two 3-months or two one-year memberships with a two bedroom, I didn't ask.

Electricity ranges $30-60/mo per unit. Central air conditioning is part of the electric bill. The total electric usage of the building seems to be pooled and billed according to the square footage of your apartment.

Heat is capped at $70/mo per unit.

Free internet, and free basic (16 channel) cable. The building isn't wired for HDTV (wtf??).

The gym costs $510/year per person.

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am

Thank you!! Good to know.

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:23 am

Maybe it's just that I'm coming from DC and used to exorbitant cost of living, but Regents seems CHEAP for that huge apartment with a view and amenities! A place like that overlooking the Potomac in DC would run you at LEAST $3000/mo!

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 am

marburger06 wrote:Maybe it's just that I'm coming from DC and used to exorbitant cost of living, but Regents seems CHEAP for that huge apartment with a view and amenities! A place like that overlooking the Potomac in DC would run you at LEAST $3000/mo!
I was thinking the same thing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”