Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mr. T6

Bronze

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 pm

He ate an egg salad and a pepperoni pizza.

He's arguably the friendliest professor in the building. He talks to anyone. If you take the elevator with him, expect a few questions about your whereabouts and goings.

I asked him many questions, as did my three 2L cohorts. The topics of conversation were:

1. Apartment finding in NYC. NYU's endowment and their trustees' pursuit of real estate investment. The interaction of multiple contracts with each other.
2. A comparison of Chicago and NYC.
3. Gossip about famous people. He personally knows Scalia, Lieberman (they graduated from YLS in the same year), and Breyer.
4. Ricci and the Sotomayor nomination, a conversation I broached. This lead to an extended ConLaw discussion of Miller, Heller, Planned Parenthood, the equal protection clause and Brown.

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:
He's arguably the friendliest professor in the building. He talks to anyone. If you take the elevator with him, expect a few questions about your whereabouts and goings.
That's awesome!!! Why were you having lunch with him? Was it a planned event (does Chi plan those events) or did you and your three "2L cohorts" just ask him?
Mr. T6 wrote:He ate an egg salad and a pepperoni pizza.
:D

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:37 pm

We invited him. Most professors are receptive to lunch offers, particularly during the summer. I've already eaten with Harcourt, Bernstein, and Levmore.

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:We invited him. Most professors are receptive to lunch offers, particularly during the summer. I've already eaten with Harcourt, Bernstein, and Levmore.
Do you know if this is common, for students to invite profs? Or are you and your friends more pro-active?

Also, since the class size is small, do you basically know everyone? I'm just curious.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:29 pm

He doesn't know me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:30 pm

seeker63 wrote:He doesn't know me.
lol are you in the same year as him?

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:44 pm

seeker63 wrote:He doesn't know me.
That's because you haven't told me your name.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Kiana wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:We invited him. Most professors are receptive to lunch offers, particularly during the summer. I've already eaten with Harcourt, Bernstein, and Levmore.
Do you know if this is common, for students to invite profs? Or are you and your friends more pro-active?

Also, since the class size is small, do you basically know everyone?
I'm just curious.
Not really. I, for instance, keep a low profile. Very few of my classmates know who I am.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:51 pm

These sample OCI questions are not helping me. Do I really have to ask questions like "What's the most interesting case you've worked on?"? I guess that one isn't bad. But some of these seem poor:

What attracted you to this firm?
Did you start in that practice area?
Where do you see your client base in five years? (ITE?)
How much client contact do you regularly get?

I like their questions even more:

What attracted you to law school?
Why Chicago?
Why this firm? (Ugh . . . because when you look at my grades and your Vault ranking, I think we're a good match?)

I also don't like these research tips. Are firms going to be impressed by some punk law student with a Westlaw account and free time? I imagined that it would be enough to know that, say, Morgan Lewis excels at Antitrust and Kirkland at Litigation.

Grade cut-offs will be the starting and ending point, I bet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm starting to firm up my travel arrangements. (It's easier than packing...) Having originally planned to drive with my 3 cats from California to Chicago, I am most excited to announce that I will now be flying in instead as my kitties will be pawsengers on the new Pet Airways. I know, crazy cat lady.

Anyway, since I no longer have to drive, I've been rethinking the whole car ownership thing. Any thoughts on I-Go vs. Zipcar? And oh my lord, how I am looking forward to using Peapod. Any hidden pitfalls with their service?

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 am

sealrsqr wrote:I'm starting to firm up my travel arrangements. (It's easier than packing...) Having originally planned to drive with my 3 cats from California to Chicago, I am most excited to announce that I will now be flying in instead as my kitties will be pawsengers on the new Pet Airways. I know, crazy cat lady.

Anyway, since I no longer have to drive, I've been rethinking the whole car ownership thing. Any thoughts on I-Go vs. Zipcar? And oh my lord, how I am looking forward to using Peapod. Any hidden pitfalls with their service?
Peapod is nice. I don't currently use it but I have in the past and I never had a problem with them. Plus, they sell cookie dough from Charlie Trotter's in Chicago. It's pricey, but very tasty and worth it once in a while. I can't tell you whether iGo or Zipcar is better, but I can tell you that both have locations on the U of C campus. They both have (at least) one location in the parking lot outside of the GSB. There might be others in the vicinity that I'm not aware of, but those are the ones I know about.

starshield

New

Post by starshield » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 am

Realize this is a bit late, but if any 1Ls still haven't arranged housing, I'm a transfer who just decided to commit and am trying to get things together.

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks, hmlee.

As for this:
pehaigllleises wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:Are they currently making U of C law sweatshirts? I didn't see them on the school book store site.
When I was in Chicago in May all I could find was an unattractive University of Chicago (really small print: The Law School) t-shirt in dark blue. I couldn't find anything that just said CHICAGO LAW of some sort in the school's colors.
The bookstore sells a U of C Law hooded sweatshirt online, though I didn't see it in the store when I visited. Black only. $50. It's the Jansport Hoodie, in case the link doesn't work...

--LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mel Zelaya

New

Post by Mel Zelaya » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:28 am

sealrsqr wrote:Thanks, hmlee.

As for this:
pehaigllleises wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:Are they currently making U of C law sweatshirts? I didn't see them on the school book store site.
When I was in Chicago in May all I could find was an unattractive University of Chicago (really small print: The Law School) t-shirt in dark blue. I couldn't find anything that just said CHICAGO LAW of some sort in the school's colors.
The bookstore sells a U of C Law hooded sweatshirt online, though I didn't see it in the store when I visited. Black only. $50. It's the Jansport Hoodie, in case the link doesn't work...

--LinkRemoved--
I was going to hate, but it's actually quite nice, albeit overpriced.

P.S. Where can I find a Brian Leiter bobblehead?

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:01 pm

As for this:
pehaigllleises wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Also, the one random thing about Peapod I can think of is that it's better to order less frequently and in larger quantities. If you do that then the delivery fee is not a big deal. If you're just looking to buy a gallon of milk and a pint of ben & jerrys or something, then you'd be better off running over to the corner store.

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:10 pm

As for this:
pehaigllleises wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
The seal is really helpful :D and has a cute-looking avatar.

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:26 pm

room assignments are out for new graduate dorms. if i arrive early, will there be other ppl around to play with, or will i be bored out of my mind? dont know how many ILs choose to live there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:41 pm

reminiscent wrote:room assignments are out for new graduate dorms. if i arrive early, will there be other ppl around to play with, or will i be bored out of my mind? dont know how many ILs choose to live there.
lol

M2008

New

Post by M2008 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Last year, I think most of the early arrivers were in Regents, getting there between a month and a week early (A few people were already dating by the time I arrived). The Class of '11 Facebook group seemed to have postings for a bunch of early-September 1L social events, so I'd check the one for this year. (the group pretty much died a week or so after classes started once everyone started making friends)

Also, due to the earlier OCI, I expect that a lot more 2L's will be in Chicago in early Sept. than the same time last year.

Mel Zelaya

New

Post by Mel Zelaya » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:17 pm

reminiscent wrote:room assignments are out for new graduate dorms. if i arrive early, will there be other ppl around to play with, or will i be bored out of my mind? dont know how many ILs choose to live there.
Kiana wrote:
lol
:shock: My goodness. Are these good looking girls really headed to UChicago?

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Mel Zelaya wrote:
Kiana wrote:
lol
:shock: My goodness. Are these good looking girls really headed to UChicago?
lol. They made me prove it on my first thread here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

M2008

New

Post by M2008 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Mel Zelaya wrote: :shock: My goodness. Are these good looking girls really headed to UChicago?
I, for one, was extremely pleasantly surprised about this aspect of the '11 class. Fun may come here to die, but it leaves a gorgeous corpse.

Kiana

New

Post by Kiana » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 pm

M2008 wrote:
Mel Zelaya wrote: :shock: My goodness. Are these good looking girls really headed to UChicago?
I, for one, was extremely pleasantly surprised about this aspect of the '11 class. Fun may come here to die, but it leaves a gorgeous corpse.
Speaking of which, for the already-at-Chi students, do people usually date each other? I saw a mention of it earlier. Isn't that awkward?

M2008

New

Post by M2008 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Law school can be like high school, only more so. The advice I heard at many law schools was: (1) Don't date within the law school; (2) If you date within the law school, don't date another 1L; (3) If you date another 1L, don't date someone in your section. That said, I recall most of the drama coming from 1L-1L relationships rather than 1L-2/3L ones. Also, some people are better at keeping things subtle and out of the gossip mill than others.

But of course, several factors make this advice harder to follow for some:
1) When you spend so much time around each other and alcohol is often involved, things happen.
2) A LOT of people break up with their significant others and go into rebound mode winter quarter (people already married or living with SO's seem to do fine, though).
3) People feeling lonely from not having many friends yet = a lot of random hookups in the first few weeks. This only sometimes leads to dating, though. Did I mention alcohol?

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 pm

M2008 wrote:Did I mention alcohol?
You did. Worth mentioning again though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”