Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mr. T6

Bronze

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 pm

People pick their seat on the first day. Generally, people are eager to snap up a good seat, but I wouldn't worry about it because everyone has a different preference.

My one recommendation is to sit at the front. As gunnerish as it may sound, it forces you to pay more attention. Also, a law student who shall remain unnamed played Tomb Raider, full-screen, in front of me during Public International.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:People pick their seat on the first day. Generally, people are eager to snap up a good seat, but I wouldn't worry about it because everyone has a different preference.

My one recommendation is to sit at the front. As gunnerish as it may sound, it forces you to pay more attention. Also, a law student who shall remain unnamed played Tomb Raider, full-screen, in front of me during Public International.
Meh, I'm more of a center of the room person. That way I'm still close enough to pay attention, but far enough to observe other people in the room. Seeing as how the front, as you said, tends to be gunnerish, it is more motivation for me to focus and take better notes. Someone in my Kant class attempted to play Counter-Strike a few times last quarter. It didn't really bother me, but my friend Rebecca almost tore the dude's head off - it was some of the best comedy all quarter (discounting the 3-dollar personal pitcher Thursdays at the local bar, of course) :mrgreen:

btw, thanks for the quick response!
Last edited by RussianGirl on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Because I've been somewhat bored during my own orientation, I combined my U of C groceries map with my U of C restaurants map, and also added both the CTA 171 and 172 routes as well as the U of C evening bus routes (North, South, East, Central). Keep this map and pass it on to other people who don't know Hyde Park yet. If you have any suggestions for additions, just let me know...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 11494&z=14

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:21 pm

hmlee wrote:Because I've been somewhat bored during my own orientation, I combined my U of C groceries map with my U of C restaurants map, and also added both the CTA 171 and 172 routes as well as the U of C evening bus routes (North, South, East, Central). Keep this map and pass it on to other people who don't know Hyde Park yet. If you have any suggestions for additions, just let me know...

Okay, so this might be a silly question, but is it safe to walk around alone during the day to get to these places? I don't understand whether I should believe the UC catalogue's description of Hyde Park as a "luxurious" area or the look of horror on my friends' faces when I tell them I'm moving to HP...

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 pm

RussianGirl wrote:
hmlee wrote:Because I've been somewhat bored during my own orientation, I combined my U of C groceries map with my U of C restaurants map, and also added both the CTA 171 and 172 routes as well as the U of C evening bus routes (North, South, East, Central). Keep this map and pass it on to other people who don't know Hyde Park yet. If you have any suggestions for additions, just let me know...

Okay, so this might be a silly question, but is it safe to walk around alone during the day to get to these places? I don't understand whether I should believe the UC catalogue's description of Hyde Park as a "luxurious" area or the look of horror on my friends' faces when I tell them I'm moving to HP...
During the day? Sure. It helps to be aware of your surroundings, of course, and to practice a bit of common sense. I would limit your shortcuts through sketchy alleys and parks, for example. The UCPD often advises to not walk with headphones in but I never followed that as an undergrad - it's just important that even if you're walking with your ipod on you aren't tuned out to who and what is going on around you. There are occasional incidents of muggings during the daytime, but they are far, far rarer than those that occur in the hours of like 11pm-5am. The general boundary rules that I followed (day or night, by myself, though even in groups it can be wise to be mindful of them) were no walking north of 47th street, south of 63rd street, or west of Cottage Grove.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi everybody. I was hoping one of you Chicago students could show some TLS love and help me out. :mrgreen:

I attend a T50 school. For the first time my school is making 1Ls take a "Perspectives" course analogous to your Elements course (the course professors are Chicago alum). I am already having trouble with the class because there are no past exams on file and I am unsure how the class will be tested. The professor has been really vague so far.

Could someone please help me out and email me some past exams and model answers? I would be super, super appreciative. :D I can't access the exams without a student ID. Here is the link:
--LinkRemoved--

PM me if you are that awesome. Thanks!

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:26 am

RudeDudewithAttitude wrote:Hi everybody. I was hoping one of you Chicago students could show some TLS love and help me out. :mrgreen:

I attend a T50 school. For the first time my school is making 1Ls take a "Perspectives" course analogous to your Elements course (the course professors are Chicago alum). I am already having trouble with the class because there are no past exams on file and I am unsure how the class will be tested. The professor has been really vague so far.

Could someone please help me out and email me some past exams and model answers? I would be super, super appreciative. :D I can't access the exams without a student ID. Here is the link:
--LinkRemoved--

PM me if you are that awesome. Thanks!
As someone who got median-ish in Elements despite studying past exams intensively, I can tell you that this is not a good idea. We have Strauss, Dixon, and Sunstein teaching it, and all three have radically different exams and strategies. However, if you are still interested, PM me.

The people who did well in Elements were Pol-Sci/Public Policy wonks. You can't game that exam. You have to be naturally good at reading a fact pattern and understanding all of the public policy that underlies it.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Helloooo. I have until 3 to pull the trigger on subletting in a gorgeous 2 bedroom on block south of Regents overlooking the park for 550/mo utilities included. This city is so cheap compared to New York it is mind blowing. I just need a little support. Tell me nothing better would come along.

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Helloooo. I have until 3 to pull the trigger on subletting in a gorgeous 2 bedroom on block south of Regents overlooking the park for 550/mo utilities included. This city is so cheap compared to New York it is mind blowing. I just need a little support. Tell me nothing better would come along.
As someone about to pay 1165/mo at Regents, I'm extremely jealous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm

keylimelove wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:Helloooo. I have until 3 to pull the trigger on subletting in a gorgeous 2 bedroom on block south of Regents overlooking the park for 550/mo utilities included. This city is so cheap compared to New York it is mind blowing. I just need a little support. Tell me nothing better would come along.

one-bedroom?

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 pm

lilybbloom wrote:
keylimelove wrote:

one-bedroom?
Yea :|

Yointer

New

Post by Yointer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm

If it's a block south of Regents, that's a good, safe part of Hyde Park. I've never heard of a 2BR in that area going for so little money. Assuming you've seen the apartment in person and like it, I'd go for it.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:26 pm

keylimelove wrote:
lilybbloom wrote:
keylimelove wrote:

one-bedroom?
Yea :|
im living in regents, too, in a 2 br (did you get the 2 months free? that makes it a bit cheaper). coming from evanston, regents doesn't seem that expensive to me (except for a 1-br or studio), and i like having the security and convenience of the grocery store, etc. plus the conference center.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:21 pm

lilybbloom wrote: im living in regents, too, in a 2 br (did you get the 2 months free? that makes it a bit cheaper). coming from evanston, regents doesn't seem that expensive to me (except for a 1-br or studio), and i like having the security and convenience of the grocery store, etc. plus the conference center.
Yea, I guess I'm a little blah about the price because it seems like a lot for pretty much nothing. But oh well, next year I'll do a better job apartment hunting.

Seattle78

New

Post by Seattle78 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Any suggestions for a good bank with ATMs convenient to Regents and the Law School?

Yointer

New

Post by Yointer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Seattle78 wrote:Any suggestions for a good bank with ATMs convenient to Regents and the Law School?
There's an ATM in the basement of the Law School, which is extremely convenient. As for Regents, that reverse-ATM for so many 1L's, there are a half dozen banks with ATMs within a quarter-mile radius. I don't know which one is closest, but it would probably be worth the extra walk to go to one that belongs to your bank.

Seattle78

New

Post by Seattle78 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Yointer wrote:
Seattle78 wrote:Any suggestions for a good bank with ATMs convenient to Regents and the Law School?
There's an ATM in the basement of the Law School, which is extremely convenient. As for Regents, that reverse-ATM for so many 1L's, there are a half dozen banks with ATMs within a quarter-mile radius. I don't know which one is closest, but it would probably be worth the extra walk to go to one that belongs to your bank.
Do you know which bank's ATM is in the basement of the Law School?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 pm

there's a chase bank on 53rd and woodlawn and a bank of america a few blocks from regents

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Okay, so I know we aren't allowed to go walking south or west of our neighborhood, but since I just learned my moving truck is not allowed on Lake Shore Drive, any thoughts on how safe the roads are to the west? Google has suggested a few choices:

1) The Dan Ryan Expressway (90/94) to either W Garfield (E 55th) to S Indiana Ave to East 51st.

2) Same way, but taking E 47th to S King Drive / S S Park Ave to East 51st.

3) Avoid the Dan Ryan and just take Hwy 55 to S King Drive / S S Park Ave to East 51st.

I'm inclined to go with door #3.

Yointer

New

Post by Yointer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm

sealrsqr wrote:Okay, so I know we aren't allowed to go walking south or west of our neighborhood, but since I just learned my moving truck is not allowed on Lake Shore Drive, any thoughts on how safe the roads are to the west? Google has suggested a few choices:

1) The Dan Ryan Expressway (90/94) to either W Garfield (E 55th) to S Indiana Ave to East 51st.

3) Avoid the Dan Ryan and just take Hwy 55 to S King Drive / S S Park Ave to East 51st.

It would be somewhat helpful to know if you're coming from the north or the south, but as a general matter, any of those routes would be "safe", in the sense that you're not going to get carjacked or something. Route (3) goes through the semi-sketchy area between the south loop and Hyde Park, while (1) and (2) take you through Washington Park, west of Hyde Park, also pretty sketchy. The fastest approach from the north would probably be option (2). There is no reason to use option (1), since that's just a slightly longer version of option (2). The fastest approach from the south is to get off 90/94 at Stony Island Ave. This will put you in the direction of Lake Shore Drive, but you'll just stay on Stony Island instead.

The short version is that Hyde Park is surrounded by bad neighborhoods on three sides and water on the other. Just be smart and you'll be fine.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Yointer wrote:
If it's a block south of Regents, that's a good, safe part of Hyde Park. I've never heard of a 2BR in that area going for so little money. Assuming you've seen the apartment in person and like it, I'd go for it.
I only get one of the bedrooms but it still seemed like a great deal. 3rd story, huge common spaces/kitchen. Quiet physics student for a roommate. I got it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:06 pm

sealrsqr wrote:Okay, so I know we aren't allowed to go walking south or west of our neighborhood, but since I just learned my moving truck is not allowed on Lake Shore Drive, any thoughts on how safe the roads are to the west? Google has suggested a few choices:

You have a serious truck, not a U-Haul?

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 pm

vealoscar wrote:You have a serious truck, not a U-Haul?
Yup. 22' Penske. Nine years in the same place = time to accumulate a lot of stuff. :oops: I'm already looking into places to donate in Hyde Park...

Also, to Yointer: We're coming from the North, I guess. Hadn't thought about tricking Google into trying it from the South. We're coming from the West, really. Is South better?

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:44 am

Seattle78 wrote:
Yointer wrote:
Do you know which bank's ATM is in the basement of the Law School?
I believe it is citibank. 85% sure.

Yointer

New

Post by Yointer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:57 am

sealrsqr wrote:Also, to Yointer: We're coming from the North, I guess. Hadn't thought about tricking Google into trying it from the South. We're coming from the West, really. Is South better?
No, north is fine. Having thought more about the situation, I suggest you take the Dan Ryan to 47th, then head east on 47th. Take a right on S. Cornell, the first street after you go under the Metra track (and the last street before you hit Lake Shore Drive). Regents will be on the left in less than half a mile. This particular route is a good one for trucks because it keeps you on a nice wide two-lane road almost the whole way. It also minimizes turning.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”