Chicago Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mr. T6

Bronze

Re: Chicago Class of 2012

Post by Mr. T6 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:25 pm

kurla88 wrote:
lucydog wrote:Got it as well. I knew I could count on TLS to put things in perspective.
Lol guys. It's also the second or third time they sent out the exact same "personal" invite.

Now the real question... should I go for firstname or firstinitiallastname as my cnet id?! First name is so tempting... but I feel it's unprofessional. Also am a girl and will be changing my last name first chance I get. :P
I put the full name for mine. I don't think that it's unprofessional, but, then again, I barely used it with employers as a 1L.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:33 pm

kurla88 wrote:
lucydog wrote:Got it as well. I knew I could count on TLS to put things in perspective.
Lol guys. It's also the second or third time they sent out the exact same "personal" invite.

Now the real question... should I go for firstname or firstinitiallastname as my cnet id?! First name is so tempting... but I feel it's unprofessional. Also am a girl and will be changing my last name first chance I get. :P
I think the first name is really cool. Can't believe I didn't think of that!

Your last name is easy and short though, so if I were you I'd probably just go with that, just to be on the safe side

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:07 am

I used (firstname)(middleinitial)(lastname), but I don't intend to change my name as (i) I already have a name, and (ii) mine is easier to spell than his. That said, I tried to get just my first name, but it was already taken. I still have my first name @ nyu.edu, so I'm sure I'm pissing off some current NYU student and that makes me feel better. I don't think it's unprofessional to use only your first name. It's better than having an email with one last name and going by a different last name--it confuses people. A girl at work did that for a while and for a while some of us thought there were two Merediths.

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 am

RussianGirl wrote:
kurla88 wrote:

Oh crap. I didn't even think of this. I did firstinitiallastname, since it was consistent with my gmail address. I guess it's not too big of a deal, considering I'm probably way more than 3 years away from changing my name...

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm a 2L now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Congrats! When are you moving into Regents BTW? I am going to be there early (August 12 it's looking like).

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:29 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Congrats! When are you moving into Regents BTW? I am going to be there early (August 12 it's looking like).
Are you asking me?

I'll be there from Sunday; I'm working for a professor all summer. If you want a tour of the law school, or need anything, feel free to ask.

curiouser

New

Post by curiouser » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:05 pm

This is interesting, if not spectacularly important:
U(C) Law Electronic Projects Blog wrote:[T]he Communications office will be launching the Law School’s new website on Thursday, June 18. The website has been completely redesigned and reorganized with usability and convenience as paramount concerns.
http://uchicagolaw.typepad.com/electron ... cheth.html

For a while the law school's website was head and shoulders better than the rest of the University's ... now that they redesigned the main U(C) home page ... not so much (though it's still nice, if poorly organized). Curious to see how this shapes up...

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 pm

It makes me so happy to see movement on this board :)

Speaking of website stuff, does anyone know when we will get the budget figures for 2009-2010 academic years. I think they promised to have this by the end of May, but...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotKyleOrton

New

Post by NotKyleOrton » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:50 pm

RussianGirl wrote:It makes me so happy to see movement on this board :)

Speaking of website stuff, does anyone know when we will get the budget figures for 2009-2010 academic years. I think they promised to have this by the end of May, but...

Here it is:

--LinkRemoved--

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Woah, 44k. Eek.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:56 pm

dresden doll wrote:Woah, 44k. Eek.
Seriously, wth! Thanks, NKO.

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:43 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Congrats! When are you moving into Regents BTW? I am going to be there early (August 12 it's looking like).
Oh yay! I'm moving into Regents at the beginning of August too! I'll be in and out traveling for much of the month, but it's good to know that there will be law students around!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

curiouser

New

Post by curiouser » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:34 pm

I'm running dreadfully low on sleep and am trying to kick caffeine, so I apologize if this is a painfully obvious question, but...

I remember seeing a list of deadlines somewhere about when we needed to submit things like photos and dean's certifications. A quick glance through the Admitted Students' site, however, reveals nothing.

Help?

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:56 pm

curiouser wrote:I'm running dreadfully low on sleep and am trying to kick caffeine, so I apologize if this is a painfully obvious question, but...

I remember seeing a list of deadlines somewhere about when we needed to submit things like photos and dean's certifications. A quick glance through the Admitted Students' site, however, reveals nothing.

Help?
I would like to know this, too... I hate playing catch-up, just now I had to frantically fill out the graduate loan application and choose a lender without much prior research... I went with Discover, I hope that wasn't a bad choice.

When do we indicate that we want the student health insurance plan?

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm not totally certain, but I think we will soon be receiving an email. The June letter to the class of 2011 is on the admitted students page - you have to click on "students" rather than "perspectives" to get there...

I'm already working on the immunization requirement. Can't believe it costs more than $100 not to die from meningitis, but it's cheaper than the alternative, I guess. And it's optional.

Anyway, last year's June letter covered:

Orientation
which was Sept 24 - 26, 2008

Computer, CnetID, and University E-mail Account

I think we've all found our way to the Cnet page...

Tuition Billing, Policies, and Dates

Looks like the first bill was mailed on August 25, 2008 and payment is due on September 19, 2008.

Official Transcripts

They wanted them by August 29, 2008 last year.

Parking
self explanatory

Student Profiles
There's apparently an incoming student profile sheet on-line. Last year they wanted it by July 18, 2008.

Photos for the Glass Menagerie
They wanted a recent photo, passport size (approximately 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches). Received no later than Thursday, July 3, 2008.

Big Sibling Program
self explanatory

Immunizations and Student Health Services
To find out more about these services, visit http://scc.bsd.uchicago.edu/ or http://counseling.uchicago.edu/.

They wanted proof of immunity to Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, Rubella (German measles), and Tetanus/Diphtheria. (instructions on http://scc.uchicago.edu/pdf/immunizations_general.pdf .) by September 24, 2008.

And then our class schedules (which will also be on the web) will come by email later. Section assignments are revealed at Orientation. They note that as first-year students, we will not have to register ourselves because the registrar takes care of it.
Last edited by sealrsqr on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:18 pm

curiouser wrote:I'm running dreadfully low on sleep and am trying to kick caffeine, so I apologize if this is a painfully obvious question, but...

Help?
Don't worry: in my experience, they'll badger you forever with these things. I remember no fewer than 3 requests for my photo. In the end, I submitted the only photo I had on my computer, and it was a bad one. The same goes for the dean's certification.

I would call the admissions office.

Don't worry about the caffeine and sleep habit. It'll follow you through law school. I had to miss a few classes because I had a bad sleep schedule during the 3rd quarter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm just going to get my immunizations done after September 1. They don't kick you out of classes until October I think. I'm due for the tetanus booster. Apparently through the school's insurance it's $20, and since my work insurance has a $25 copay and requires me to take time off... the school's insurance wins.

curiouser

New

Post by curiouser » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:54 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I'm just going to get my immunizations done after September 1. They don't kick you out of classes until October I think. I'm due for the tetanus booster. Apparently through the school's insurance it's $20, and since my work insurance has a $25 copay and requires me to take time off... the school's insurance wins.
oh, this is bringing back, uh, fond (?) memories of the Student Care Center...

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm

marburger06 wrote:
Oh yay! I'm moving into Regents at the beginning of August too! I'll be in and out traveling for much of the month, but it's good to know that there will be law students around!
OCI starts August 17, so rising 2L's will be swarming regents mid-month.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:11 pm

so I was reading over the student handbook which I just got in the mail today, and I'm a bit puzzled that Chicago 1Ls don't take ConLaw- I thought it was really essential? Is it a required course 2L, or is it just an elective? Can you take it as your 1L spring quarter elective? I took 2 conlaw classes in college and really loved it, so this is kind of sad news for me.

Damn, I already bought whats-his-name's "must-have" conlaw supplement, too.

on the other hand, yay for only taking 2 exams fall and winter quarters! do you guys see this as a benefit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 pm

lilybbloom wrote:so I was reading over the student handbook which I just got in the mail today, and I'm a bit puzzled that Chicago 1Ls don't take ConLaw- I thought it was really essential? Is it a required course 2L, or is it just an elective? Can you take it as your 1L spring quarter elective? I took 2 conlaw classes in college and really loved it, so this is kind of sad news for me.

on the other hand, yay for only taking 2 exams fall and winter quarters! do you guys see this as a benefit?
At ASW I think they said that they view con law as such a vast and multi-faceted subject that it they would rather teach specific aspects of it as upper-level courses.

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:52 pm

lilybbloom wrote:so I was reading over the student handbook which I just got in the mail today, and I'm a bit puzzled that Chicago 1Ls don't take ConLaw- I thought it was really essential? Is it a required course 2L, or is it just an elective? Can you take it as your 1L spring quarter elective? I took 2 conlaw classes in college and really loved it, so this is kind of sad news for me.

You take two quarters of civil procedure. The fall quarter class will be rules-based; you'll be eating out of the rulebook. The spring class, however, involves a decent amount of Constitutional analysis. Our professor went so far as to call it Con Law 101.

The upper class ConLaw classes aren't required, but they're fairly popular. There are about 6 different ConLaw classes I believe, focusing on different areas. I imagine they're fairly difficult and theoretical. I plan on taking one next year.

Taking two exams the first two quarters definitely lets you figure out law school before your feet are held to the flames. It's good in this respect, but the bad part is that you'll have two classes to worry about over Christmas break and Spring break. For us, Property and Torts extended from fall quarter into winter quarter, and Contracts and Criminal Law extended from winter quarter into spring. I probably only took 2 or 3 days off over winter and spring break because I had to outline these classes to catch up and get ready for the next quarter. It kinda sucks. If you go into the second quarter of a two quarter class without having reviewed the previous quarter's material over break, you can fall into a hole pretty quickly.

This is all to say, the system has its pluses and minuses. You have a chance to get acclimated and don;t have four tests your first semester/quarter there. But, you get no mental break from the action.

curiouser

New

Post by curiouser » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:54 am

just wanted to say, at NYU ConLaw is only offered as a 1L elective and most people, obvs, do not get in.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:31 pm

seeker63 wrote:

You take two quarters of civil procedure. The fall quarter class will be rules-based; you'll be eating out of the rulebook. The spring class, however, involves a decent amount of Constitutional analysis. Our professor went so far as to call it Con Law 101.

The upper class ConLaw classes aren't required, but they're fairly popular. There are about 6 different ConLaw classes I believe, focusing on different areas. I imagine they're fairly difficult and theoretical. I plan on taking one next year.

Taking two exams the first two quarters definitely lets you figure out law school before your feet are held to the flames. It's good in this respect, but the bad part is that you'll have two classes to worry about over Christmas break and Spring break. For us, Property and Torts extended from fall quarter into winter quarter, and Contracts and Criminal Law extended from winter quarter into spring. I probably only took 2 or 3 days off over winter and spring break because I had to outline these classes to catch up and get ready for the next quarter. It kinda sucks. If you go into the second quarter of a two quarter class without having reviewed the previous quarter's material over break, you can fall into a hole pretty quickly.

This is all to say, the system has its pluses and minuses. You have a chance to get acclimated and don;t have four tests your first semester/quarter there. But, you get no mental break from the action.
Cox was pretty cool. You must have had Buss for first quarter Civ Pro. She was very rule-heavy. Baird was different.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”