Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jsun

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by jsun » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:47 am

mbw wrote:
stayingclassy wrote:
mbw wrote:Hey Shel. Hey Como. Guess I should get used to posting over here now, neh?
Welcome! What made you choose Cornell?
It was always high on my list (for academics, QoL, reputation w/in the NDN community), but I'm extremely debt adverse, so crossed them off when I didn't receive my financial aid package before my Minnesota deposit was due. It was apparently all due to a mix up, and on Monday, I received a very generous award. I packed up my family and we drove to Ithaca from Minneapolis (to which we had moved just a month ago) and had my first tour. I deposited yesterday, and began the drive back to Minneapolis to pick up our stuff.
What does NDN stand for?

Sorry, I'm one of those individuals who read these boards but don't really post. I am deposited and headed to Cornell though.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:55 am

jsun wrote:
mbw wrote:
stayingclassy wrote:
mbw wrote:Hey Shel. Hey Como. Guess I should get used to posting over here now, neh?
Welcome! What made you choose Cornell?
It was always high on my list (for academics, QoL, reputation w/in the NDN community), but I'm extremely debt adverse, so crossed them off when I didn't receive my financial aid package before my Minnesota deposit was due. It was apparently all due to a mix up, and on Monday, I received a very generous award. I packed up my family and we drove to Ithaca from Minneapolis (to which we had moved just a month ago) and had my first tour. I deposited yesterday, and began the drive back to Minneapolis to pick up our stuff.
What does NDN stand for?

Sorry, I'm one of those individuals who read these boards but don't really post. I am deposited and headed to Cornell though.
read it out loud: "N-D-N"

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:00 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:Oh Sheldon I am very happy for you but at the same time I will be really sad if you are not there at Cornell with me next fall! :cry: Who am I gonna cook for now lol
There's still a very good chance I'll get to eat your food ;)
hopingtogo wrote:On an unrelated topic, I went back to Ithaca and found a totally awesome and huge apartment 10 minutes away from the law school. I am so excited to move in this August!
Congrats!! When are moving, what street are you on, is it awesome, (do you have room to feed me)?
I'm moving in on August 15th after my summer job in DC ends. The apartment is at 700 Stewart (The Belleayre Apartments). It has a huge eat-in kitchen with a big stove and refrigerator, tons of counter space and shelves, so lots of room for food and cooking amenities! :D

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 pm

panda wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:On an unrelated topic, I went back to Ithaca and found a totally awesome and huge apartment 10 minutes away from the law school. I am so excited to move in this August!
yaay! congrats..i remember how worried you were about that..
maybe we're neighbors..where are you going to be?

Thanks Panda! I am SO relieved to finally have a place to live next fall!

I am living on Stewart Ave, near the Northern part of campus. You are on Eddy right? I think it's about ten minutes walking from Eddy.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:15 pm

hopingtogo wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:Oh Sheldon I am very happy for you but at the same time I will be really sad if you are not there at Cornell with me next fall! :cry: Who am I gonna cook for now lol
Congrats!! When are moving, what street are you on, is it awesome, (do you have room to feed me)?
I'm moving in on August 15th after my summer job in DC ends. The apartment is at 700 Stewart (The Belleayre Apartments). It has a huge eat-in kitchen with a big stove and refrigerator, tons of counter space and shelves, so lots of room for food and cooking amenities! :D
yaaay! i will be too poor to afford food..
you can feed me! ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:27 am

hopingtogo wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

Oh yeah, the belleayre apts were really nice, unfortunately, spike and I are at the bottom of the hill on state, so we aren't neighbors, technically.

Hey, just for the sake of people who don't have apts yet, did they have any places still open?

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:33 am

panda wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
you can feed me to someone! ;)
DIBS! :twisted:

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:13 am

Marko Ramius wrote:
panda wrote:
hopingtogo wrote: I'm moving in on August 15th after my summer job in DC ends. The apartment is at 700 Stewart (The Belleayre Apartments). It has a huge eat-in kitchen with a big stove and refrigerator, tons of counter space and shelves, so lots of room for food and cooking amenities! :D
come on.. the shtick is getting a little old, no?

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:37 am

panda wrote:
Marko Ramius wrote:
panda wrote:
hopingtogo wrote: I'm moving in on August 15th after my summer job in DC ends. The apartment is at 700 Stewart (The Belleayre Apartments). It has a huge eat-in kitchen with a big stove and refrigerator, tons of counter space and shelves, so lots of room for food and cooking amenities! :D
OK, sure, but I bet you're going to miss the attention. :P

I'm sorry if I annoyed. Good luck to you, panda! I hope you enjoy Cornell!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:40 am

hopingtogo wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
That's a block or two from my place! And I think that's also on the corner where I will be going to catch the TCAT.

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
That's a block or two from my place! And I think that's also on the corner where I will be going to catch the TCAT.
Cool! Maybe we can ride the bus together!

As of Tuesday the Belleayre apartments had 3 one bedroom apartments left. All of them are very nice and include all utilities (except for cable and internet). You can check them out at:

--LinkRemoved--

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Hello! I have accepted at Cornell! :) I visit and seems very very beautiful buy very lonely and quiet. Do you know if there activities like football club or basketball teams or pelota/jai alai league? I would like to go but I worry I will go crazy from lonelyness and depression because Ithaca is so much peace and quiet a sports club would keep my mind calm I think. Thank you for your help! I like to meet all of you soon! You seem very interesting and impress and very nice people!

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:15 am

So, I'm now finally in apartment-hunting mode. Is anyone still looking? PM me if you are interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vtha

New

Post by vtha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:34 pm

I was wondering if anyone had pictures of Hughes, I didnt get a chance to take a trip to Ithaca and visit Cornell, so I was wondering if anyone had taken pictures of it just to give me an idea of what it looks like.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:01 pm

danielfgator wrote:So, I'm now finally in apartment-hunting mode. Is anyone still looking? PM me if you are interested.

I didn't take any pictures, but I can just tell you: don't. It's not worth it.

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:24 pm

sheltron5000 wrote: I didn't take any pictures, but I can just tell you: don't. It's not worth it.
+1. i was set on hughes hall until i took the tour.

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
danielfgator wrote:So, I'm now finally in apartment-hunting mode. Is anyone still looking? PM me if you are interested.

+1000000

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Marko Ramius wrote:
panda wrote:
Marko Ramius wrote:
panda wrote:
OK, sure, but I bet you're going to miss the attention. :P

I'm sorry if I annoyed. Good luck to you, panda! I hope you enjoy Cornell!
haha! yes.. i probably will .. :oops:

but i wasn't annoyed! just curious as to when you might actually respond to my posts with something other than the intention of eating me. :arrow: :evil:

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:52 pm

danielfgator wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

+1000000
yes..i third that assessment..
i liked the notion of Hughes at first..especially the money it would save..
but seriously..after the tour..i couldn't do it either..
but i'm assuming vtha that you already are in Hughes, right? because otherwise i would tell you that it is too late to apply anyway.. because you probably won't get a place..
if you are, don't worry about what we are saying.. every person has their own tastes.. you might not find it so bad..as im sure many people havent..
if you want..pm me and i can give you as detailed a description as i can.. :)

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm living in Hughes and I haven't seen the inside either. What exactly have you guys seen that's causing all the negative opinions? Is it some sort of Lovecraftian den of horror with eyeballs and entrails dripping down the walls and unfathomable cosmic terrors lurking in the common shower stalls or something?

I mean if it's just a standard dorm room, I can deal with that, because I've lived in some pretty shitty apartments in the interest of saving a buck. As long as the plumbing works and there aren't any gateways to hellish dimensions where there's neither sight nor sound (only fear) then I can't imagine it being that bad...

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:I'm living in Hughes and I haven't seen the inside either. What exactly have you guys seen that's causing all the negative opinions? Is it some sort of Lovecraftian den of horror with eyeballs and entrails dripping down the walls and unfathomable cosmic terrors lurking in the common shower stalls or something?

I mean if it's just a standard dorm room, I can deal with that, because I've lived in some pretty shitty apartments in the interest of saving a buck. As long as the plumbing works and there aren't any gateways to hellish dimensions where there's neither sight nor sound (only fear) then I can't imagine it being that bad...
no..its not that bad at all.. it's just pretty small and crammed, and underground.. you're less than a few feet away from the actual law school..which was just..too close for my taste..there is a single kitchen for everyone in the dorms..
it just felt pretty claustrophobic.. and i don't know if i could do that for a full year..
that's my assessment. .but other than that, the plumbing works..no special gateways to hellish dimensions that you wouldn't find elsewhere and typically in most law schools i would presume.. ;)
Last edited by panda on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 pm

A couple of things threw me off when I took the tour:

-It kind of looks like a psychiatric institution on the inside and a little beat up.
-Lack of sufficient bathroom facilities.
-One kitchen for 40+ people, and it is relatively small.
-After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.

Rooms were... blah but not horrible. Definitely not the worst part of the building.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:36 pm

This:
danielfgator wrote: -It kind of looks like a psychiatric institution on the inside and a little beat up.
-One kitchen for 40+ people, and it is relatively small./quote]

and this:
panda wrote: it's just pretty small and crammed, and underground..
you're less than a few feet away from the actual law school..
it just felt pretty claustrophobic..
Were what did it for me, also they don't allow cats ;)

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 pm

danielfgator wrote: -After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.
No joke. There are sweet one bedroom apartments nearish to the law school for the same price as a large single in hughes.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
danielfgator wrote: -After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.
No joke. There are sweet one bedroom apartments nearish to the law school for the same price as a large single in hughes.
see the above post about bellayre.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”