Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
panda

Bronze

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by panda » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:26 am

hey ..this is for everyone looking for off-campus housing..
i found a place already...but some of the people I was in contact with just e-mailed me an offer on a place that is about a 7 minute walk from campus on E. Buffalo St.
they sent pics and it looks pretty nice..quite affordable considering the prices of other places in the area.. (ehem..the apartment where i put my deposit is more expensive :roll: :P )
anyhoo.. i figured i would let my fellow TLSers in need get their hands on it before a bunch of strangers do..
(because i know you all so well .. :wink: )
let me know if you're interested!

SaraBara

New

Post by SaraBara » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:41 am

CLMoose8 wrote:wow, big ups to SaraBara and VTHA on the online housing thing, that's a huge relief. i've been waiting for this housing form to come in the mail forever. i really want to live in hughes and i'm hoping this will give us all a leg up when it comes to getting in.

edit: hey, butternose i saw your thread in the other forum about the gloomy hughes prospects, what exactly did the person on the phone say to you? i was feelin all rad after submitting it online but my radness may be short-lived

are any of you guys who are applying going straight from undergrad to law school? i feel like hughes is probably the best way to ease that transition, at least for me (even though I haven't dormed in three years).

If we are keeping track, this is a male room (hopefully) taken.

P.S. oh and i guess you guys can add me to the list of TLSers going to cornell if such a thing exists

P.P.S. damn now i'm all conflicted as to whether i should tell the dude i made friends with at ASD about this
I'm coming straight from undergrad also. I live in an apartment now but I'm sure we'll manage with Hughes. It sounds like a lot of fun to live with a bunch of 1Ls. And I'm female, if you can't tell from my name.

And if Hughes is full before they even sent the housing stuff in the mail, then that's just ridiculous

SaraBara

New

Post by SaraBara » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:47 am

stayingclassy wrote:
como wrote:That would be a good place to end. I was thinking a day on the lake, followed by some bbqing, then some bar action.
That sounds like an awesome day.
I'm definitely up for something like that. I'm from Buffalo so I could always drive up for an evening. and speaking as a long time up-state New Yorker... the weather isn't that bad everyone! In fact, in the cold winter you can go sledding, skiing, have snowball fights, it's actually kind of fun, as long as you dress warm :) and yea, it's really beautiful in the summer (and warm- apparently some people think it snows all year up-state.)

stayingclassy

New

Post by stayingclassy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:49 am

SaraBara wrote:
stayingclassy wrote:
como wrote:That would be a good place to end. I was thinking a day on the lake, followed by some bbqing, then some bar action.
I'm definitely up for something like that. I'm from Buffalo so I could always drive up for an evening. and speaking as a long time up-state New Yorker... the weather isn't that bad everyone! In fact, in the cold winter you can go sledding, skiing, have snowball fights, it's actually kind of fun, as long as you dress warm :) and yea, it's really beautiful in the summer (and warm- apparently some people think it snows all year up-state.)
Make sure to steal lunch trays in the winter and use them to sled down Libe Slope!

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

SaraBara wrote:
stayingclassy wrote:
Awesome. I'll count you in!+

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:01 pm

So is anyone else plannign on makign the move in mid july or so. I defiintely think I want to get everythign in order, scope out the town, relax a little before the avalanche of 1L work starts . . .

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:10 pm

OMG, lol at that last exchange. I too am very glad to see that our class seems like a genuinely good bunch of people. of course the neuroses may not start to show until our first really awful Socratic reaming, or finals.... :P

eta: I was talking about this (didn't see that we had moved on to a new page :roll: :
CLMoose8 wrote:
como wrote:
CLMoose8 wrote:
como wrote: If this is the case, we sat right next to each other. What's going on, b?
woah damn is this jason

nothings going on im just doin what it do, staying awake for 48 hours trying to bang out 30 pages on jacobean revenge tragedies so i can graduate on friday. hows things in your neck of the woods?
The one and only...

Hah...that reminds me of my senior thesis on Emmanuel Levinas' ethics in Michael Haneke's film 'Cache'. I pounded the majority of it out in about 72 hours with ~1.5 pounds of coffee. Memories...

Things are pretty lame up here. I'm keeping myself busy at work on TLS of course :)
wow thats outta control

well i guess you can disregard the message in your facebook inbox about the housing, then
Last edited by sheltron5000 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm

+1 on finals...

I don't think I'll really care about looking like a fool, Socratically. I'm sure I'll look enough like one on a daily basis..

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 pm

studymaster wrote:
vtha wrote:
stayingclassy wrote:
I agree.
Count me in.
Count me in as well. I'll probably move in around the 15th too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 pm

ill be there mid-august too! count me in

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:42 pm

I fully plan to end up speaking in tongues more than once.

I had a professor in UG who used socratic, and on more than one occasion I ended up shouting horribly racist statements to the whole class. :oops: and no one told me off :? I think it can be a lot more intense than most people know

ION: I'm planing on moving in 7th-10th, I need extra time to settle out the kinks in my living arrangements.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:I fully plan to end up speaking in tongues more than once.

I had a professor in UG who used socratic, and on more than one occasion I ended up shouting horribly racist statements to the whole class. :oops: and no one told me off :? I think it can be a lot more intense than most people know

ION: I'm planing on moving in 7th-10th, I need extra time to settle out the kinks in my living arrangements.
Hmm...you got some 'splainin' to do, Shel.

butternose

New

Post by butternose » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:53 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:

edit: hey, butternose i saw your thread in the other forum about the gloomy hughes prospects, what exactly did the person on the phone say to you? i was feelin all rad after submitting it online but my radness may be short-lived
Hey CLMoose,

When I called to ask whether I would be allowed to apply online (since it seemed too early, consdering the fact that none of the materials had arrived in the mail regarding housing), she remarked that I should do so ASAP, but it may have already filled up because people had already applied online way before me.

I'm nervoussss......

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:58 pm

como wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:I fully plan to end up speaking in tongues more than once.

Hmm...you got some 'splainin' to do, Shel.
It really comes down to the professor repeatedly asking you to simplify what your saying. At some point even the most nuanced arguments dissolve into epithets.

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:01 pm

butternose wrote:
CLMoose8 wrote:

Hey CLMoose,

When I called to ask whether I would be allowed to apply online (since it seemed too early, consdering the fact that none of the materials had arrived in the mail regarding housing), she remarked that I should do so ASAP, but it may have already filled up because people had already applied online way before me.

I'm nervoussss......
yeah, i've emailed/posted on their message board about the housing form (i was under the incorrect assumption that it would be mailed upon receipt of our deposit and i sent that in ASAP) and they never once told me about online registration. i was pretty damn pumped when i found out last night that i could skip the whole mailing nonsense altogether, but it seems we might have bean beaten at our own game.

this shit is beans.

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm

butternose wrote:
CLMoose8 wrote:

Hey CLMoose,

I'm nervoussss......
FWIW, I just emailed the "grad housing manager" and she said that Hasbrouck Apartments is already full. I know they probably have a different timeframe for accepting applications than Hughes, but apparently on-campus housing is pretty popular at Cornell.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:24 pm

So is EVERYONE trying to live in CT or Hughes? I really wasn't excited by the idea of living that close to all the undergrads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:24 pm

danielfgator wrote: FWIW, I just emailed the "grad housing manager" and she said that Hasbrouck Apartments is already full. I know they probably have a different timeframe for accepting applications than Hughes, but apparently on-campus housing is pretty popular at Cornell.
that is pretty messed up. on the other hand, hasbrouck is open to the entire 4500+ grad school community and we get hughes all to ourselves, so maybe there is still a shot. or maybe i'm just rationalizing

it would be nice to get a decision relatively quickly so we'll know whether we can commit to apartments or not, but thats not bloody likely

hooray for more uncertainty! i was almost beginning to miss it after i finally signed the dotted line and sent in my deposit

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:24 pm

Lower collegetown ftw

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:26 pm

como wrote:Lower collegetown ftw
That's what I'm going for, the only real question is: "how low can I go?"

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:Lower collegetown ftw
That's what I'm going for, the only real question is: "how low can I go?"
I'm planning on going as low as the Commons if I find something cheap and not too dumpy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:34 pm

You guys will have killer glutes walking up that hill.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:36 pm

some of the places closer to the commons and farther from the law school are really nice and relatively cheap compared to the places higher up... i saw a lot of them, and they looked amazing for their price, considering some of the places that were closer and going for at least $200 more..

but, the only problem is...in mid- jan.. waiting for a bus ..or walking that distance...would be a real pain in the arse..

Edit: Woohoo! they just got my seat deposit!! it's official!

spike

New

Post by spike » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:45 pm

panda wrote:some of the places closer to the commons and farther from the law school are really nice and relatively cheap compared to the places higher up... i saw a lot of them, and they looked amazing for their price, considering some of the places that were closer and going for at least $200 more..

but, the only problem is...in mid- jan.. waiting for a bus ..or walking that distance...would be a real pain in the arse..

Edit: Woohoo! they just got my seat deposit!! it's official!
Haha! Finally! How many days was that Panda?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:53 pm

a little over a week...
but i guess you can't count the weekend...
7 business days i would say... :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”