Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
stayingclassy

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by stayingclassy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:30 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:
paraducks wrote:i think that chicago would open doors in big law that cornell wouldn't. that being said, go with the school that will make you happier in the long run.
Really? Why? I think biglaw is probably the one area they have the most parity in.

I think I agree with you on that, the biggest difference is how deeply into the class high level biglaw will go.

On the other hand, Cornell has been very generous, and their LRAP is much more flexible than Chicago's (and I think better all around). Which opens more opportunities for gov't and public interest work.
Sheltron, I remember this woman speaking at the first ASD - http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/facult ... .cfm?id=35

She graduated from Chicago and is an administrative dean at Cornell. If I were you I would speak with her and anyone else who has had experiences at both Chicago and Cornell. Ask them about career opportunities vs debt from both schools.

Good luck with your decision!

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:34 am

como wrote:
paraducks wrote:i think that chicago would open doors in big law that cornell wouldn't. that being said, go with the school that will make you happier in the long run.
really? why? i think biglaw is probably the one area they have the most parity in.
i think cornell has a higher %age going into big law, but i'm pretty sure that of those big law jobs that chicago grads go for, some of them wouldn't be as easily available to cornell grads.
There's no question in my mind that Cornell will make me happier in the short term.
you're much more likely to do well at a school where you're happy than at one where you're unhappy.

i was accepted to chicago for undergrad but ended up choosing a much lesser (in terms of rankings) school that gave me money primarily because i thought i would be happier there. overall i am happy with my decision, although i knew going in that which undergrad i chose would have a lot less impact on my eventual career than law school will. also worth thinking about is the fact that my gpa at said undergrad was higher than one i probably would have received at chicago. i doubt the difference between chicago and cornell would be anywhere near as big, but it's at least something to consider.

ultimately, choosing either school would not be a 'bad' choice from an objective standpoint. no one but you can really decide whether the possibly better job opportunities at chicago are worth the possibly happier quality of life at cornell. my advice is to pick the school that you think will leave you with the least 'what ifs'.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:43 am

Chicago sucks as a city, so I wouldn't want to be there. Chicago and Cornell would match up pretty evenly in NYC biglaw, but like you alluded to Shel, I think bottom half of Chicago is in better shape than bottom half of Cornell. Median and above is roughly equivalent, although Chicago will be much better if you want V5 and up.

Chicago seems like it's got a lot more gunners, so bear that in mind. It might be a much more miserable LS experience - beyond what the living situations will be.
I remember the first speaker at Cornell (a prof who studied at Chicago) who said that her experience at Chicago turned her off of the law school environment. She presumably went to law school years ago, so the dynamics may have changed. All I can say is Wally goes to Chicago :P

The major benefits of going to Chicago would be if you want to clerk or teach. I don't think I can say enough about how lame Chicago as a city is. NYC or bust, dude :wink:

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:47 am

como wrote: Chicago seems like it's got a lot more gunners, so bear that in mind. I don't think I can say enough about how lame Chicago as a city is.
i know this isn't my thread, but.....you're killin me como :(

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 am

doyleoil wrote:
como wrote: Chicago seems like it's got a lot more gunners, so bear that in mind. I don't think I can say enough about how lame Chicago as a city is.
i know this isn't my thread, but.....you're killin me como :(
On the other hand, all the TLSers (notably, Doyle and DD) going to Chicago are top-notch. I definitely don't have as much experience with Chicago (the city) as NY, but it's not even comparable. I don't know why they call it the second city. More like 4th...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 am

como wrote:Chicago sucks as a city, so I wouldn't want to be there. Chicago and Cornell would match up pretty evenly in NYC biglaw, but like you alluded to Shel, I think bottom half of Chicago is in better shape than bottom half of Cornell. Median and above is roughly equivalent, although Chicago will be much better if you want V5 and up.

Chicago seems like it's got a lot more gunners, so bear that in mind. It might be a much more miserable LS experience - beyond what the living situations will be.
I remember the first speaker at Cornell (a prof who studied at Chicago) who said that her experience at Chicago turned her off of the law school environment. She presumably went to law school years ago, so the dynamics may have changed. All I can say is Wally goes to Chicago :P

The major benefits of going to Chicago would be if you want to clerk or teach. I don't think I can say enough about how lame Chicago as a city is. NYC or bust, dude :wink:

I think I agree, and I'm not looking for V5, maybe V20, but I don't plan on doing biglaw for more than long enough to get experience/pay off my loans (which would take a lot less time at cornell)...

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:01 am

Then I think you know where to go :D

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:Chicago sucks as a city, so I wouldn't want to be there. Chicago and Cornell would match up pretty evenly in NYC biglaw, but like you alluded to Shel, I think bottom half of Chicago is in better shape than bottom half of Cornell. Median and above is roughly equivalent, although Chicago will be much better if you want V5 and up.

I think I agree, and I'm not looking for V5, maybe V20, but I don't plan on doing biglaw for more than long enough to get experience/pay off my loans (which would take a lot less time at cornell)...
based on this, i would say pick cornell if you like it more anyway.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 pm

yeah go where you'd be happy blah blah blah.

Chicago is pretty Peeemp though, if you ask me. i'm a dirty little whore though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:13 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:yeah go where you'd be happy blah blah blah.

Chicago is pretty Peeemp though, if you ask me. i'm a dirty little whore though.
Notice anything missing?
:lol:

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:16 pm

como wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:yeah go where you'd be happy blah blah blah.

Notice anything missing?
:lol:
haha, well played sir, well played.

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Oh Sheldon I am very happy for you but at the same time I will be really sad if you are not there at Cornell with me next fall! :cry: Who am I gonna cook for now lol

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:03 pm

On an unrelated topic, I went back to Ithaca and found a totally awesome and huge apartment 10 minutes away from the law school. I am so excited to move in this August!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 pm

iTTThaca

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:01 pm

hopingtogo wrote:Oh Sheldon I am very happy for you but at the same time I will be really sad if you are not there at Cornell with me next fall! :cry: Who am I gonna cook for now lol
There's still a very good chance I'll get to eat your food ;)
hopingtogo wrote:On an unrelated topic, I went back to Ithaca and found a totally awesome and huge apartment 10 minutes away from the law school. I am so excited to move in this August!
Congrats!! When are moving, what street are you on, is it awesome, (do you have room to feed me)?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:58 pm

hopingtogo wrote:On an unrelated topic, I went back to Ithaca and found a totally awesome and huge apartment 10 minutes away from the law school. I am so excited to move in this August!
yaay! congrats..i remember how worried you were about that..
maybe we're neighbors..where are you going to be?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:26 am

Hey Shel. Hey Como. Guess I should get used to posting over here now, neh?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:28 am

panda wrote:
yaay! congrats..i remember how worried you were about that..
maybe we're neighbors..where are you going to be?
This is impossible; only one of you fits in my stomach: you, panda. :wink:

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:50 am

mbw wrote:Hey Shel. Hey Como. Guess I should get used to posting over here now, neh?

YAY!!! MBW, I'm so glad you chose Cornell!! Even more reason to choose Cornell!!

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:53 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
mbw wrote:Hey Shel. Hey Como. Guess I should get used to posting over here now, neh?

YAY!!! MBW, I'm so glad you chose Cornell!! Even more reason to choose Cornell!!
With a 173 and a 3.7, what the hell are you doing enrolling at Cornell?

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:06 am

Marko Ramius wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

With a 173 and a 3.7, what the hell are you doing enrolling at Cornell?
Taking their sweet sweet cash and hiding it under my mattress so the space men can't find it. (They can read your mind!)

Also, choosing an environment that is conducive to my success.

That is, of course, IF...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

como

Silver

Post by como » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:29 am

What's up, mbw?! The threads here actually have posters!! :D

stayingclassy

New

Post by stayingclassy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:11 am

Welcome! What made you choose Cornell?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:36 am

stayingclassy wrote:
It was always high on my list (for academics, QoL, reputation w/in the NDN community), but I'm extremely debt adverse, so crossed them off when I didn't receive my financial aid package before my Minnesota deposit was due. It was apparently all due to a mix up, and on Monday, I received a very generous award. I packed up my family and we drove to Ithaca from Minneapolis (to which we had moved just a month ago) and had my first tour. I deposited yesterday, and began the drive back to Minneapolis to pick up our stuff.

stayingclassy

New

Post by stayingclassy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:37 am

mbw wrote:
stayingclassy wrote:
It was always high on my list (for academics, QoL, reputation w/in the NDN community), but I'm extremely debt adverse, so crossed them off when I didn't receive my financial aid package before my Minnesota deposit was due. It was apparently all due to a mix up, and on Monday, I received a very generous award. I packed up my family and we drove to Ithaca from Minneapolis (to which we had moved just a month ago) and had my first tour. I deposited yesterday, and began the drive back to Minneapolis to pick up our stuff.
Sounds exhausting! Glad you're coming to Ithaca though - I'll see you in August!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”