Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
hopingtogo

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by hopingtogo » Wed May 06, 2009 1:56 am

panda wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:
studymaster wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:So, how is everyone's housing search going?
Headed out the 17th of may to check out some places, hopefully sign a lease.

I am not going to be able to get back to Ithaca before school starts, so I am trying to find something online and it's so daunting! Some of the places are really sketchy looking based on the pictures, and it seems like everything near collegetown/the law school is being rented out so quickly! :cry:

Good luck to everyone else!
Don't worry! you're not alone! i put a deposit on a place I still haven't even seen! Granted, I got someone I know to check it out and make sure it's not awful, but i'm basically moving into the unknown for a year.. ;)
I keep telling myself... "at least it's relatively close!" :|
But you're right about everything being rented out quickly..by mid-May, i hear most close/affordable places are basically gone.. so don't waste any time getting something.. good luck!
Thanks Panda! Good to know I am not alone! Well, if it turns out the place I choose is horrible, at least it's just for a year... :|

Ganbaru

New

Post by Ganbaru » Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 am

Just something for you incoming students. Many people buy their books new when the semester comes, and for the year I think I ended up spending over $1300 (first semester over $800). If you buy your books used, you can get them considerably cheaper, though they are still pretty expensive. On the other hand, we don't get much for our books if we try to sell them back.

So... if you are a student who doesn't mind someone else's writing/highlighting in your book, there are plenty of students who will go halvsies between what the bookstore sells their used books for and the amount we get for our books.

Also, some students even like to have 2 books so they can keep 1 at home and 1 at school, but I was never so rich.

In any case, just keep this in mind if you are thinking of buying used books come fall.

stayingclassy

New

Post by stayingclassy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:58 am

Is it August yet?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Wed May 06, 2009 1:13 pm

Ganbaru wrote:Just something for you incoming students. Many people buy their books new when the semester comes, and for the year I think I ended up spending over $1300 (first semester over $800). If you buy your books used, you can get them considerably cheaper, though they are still pretty expensive. On the other hand, we don't get much for our books if we try to sell them back.

So... if you are a student who doesn't mind someone else's writing/highlighting in your book, there are plenty of students who will go halvsies between what the bookstore sells their used books for and the amount we get for our books.

Also, some students even like to have 2 books so they can keep 1 at home and 1 at school, but I was never so rich.

In any case, just keep this in mind if you are thinking of buying used books come fall.
That's definitely helpful..thanks!
Question: how do we find the people willing to sell directly to us?
(I'm definitely going to be trying to save as much as possible..)

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Ugh, I'm not going to be able to put a deposit on a place until I find out about Hughes, which is supposedly June but God knows when. Anyone else besides me still waiting on Hughes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amr105

New

Post by amr105 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:15 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:Ugh, I'm not going to be able to put a deposit on a place until I find out about Hughes, which is supposedly June but God knows when. Anyone else besides me still waiting on Hughes?
i am. applied around 4/1 and have heard nothing. i was thinking about calling today or tomorrow to see what's up.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:10 pm

panda wrote:
Ganbaru wrote:Just something for you incoming students. Many people buy their books new when the semester comes, and for the year I think I ended up spending over $1300 (first semester over $800). If you buy your books used, you can get them considerably cheaper, though they are still pretty expensive. On the other hand, we don't get much for our books if we try to sell them back.

That's definitely helpful..thanks!
Question: how do we find the people willing to sell directly to us?
(I'm definitely going to be trying to save as much as possible..)
Someone asked about buying books used or online on the admitted students board and apparently, we won't get our lists until the week before classes (I'm assuming that means at orientation), when they split us up into sections and assign professors. :( I guess amazon and B&N can both overnight stuff... :(

Edited to move MY text out of the quote.
Last edited by sheltron5000 on Wed May 06, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soul_echoes

New

Post by soul_echoes » Wed May 06, 2009 4:10 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:Ugh, I'm not going to be able to put a deposit on a place until I find out about Hughes, which is supposedly June but God knows when. Anyone else besides me still waiting on Hughes?
Yup, I'm also waiting on Hughes. I applied around 4/10.

treschic

New

Post by treschic » Wed May 06, 2009 4:19 pm

soul_echoes wrote:
Oy...what do you think is taking them so long?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Wed May 06, 2009 4:48 pm

add me to the list for Class of 2012..YAY!!! :D

SaraBara

New

Post by SaraBara » Wed May 06, 2009 4:49 pm

treschic wrote:
soul_echoes wrote:
Oy...what do you think is taking them so long?

I emailed housing and they said they are in the process of making placements, so hopefully we'll hear soon

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Sheeeit... I wasn't aware that we could apply online until 4/21, I was led to believe that no one could sign up until they mailed out a paper form. Well, hopefully all of you are girls and thus not my competition.

We should get a sex/date of application list for Hughes going...

Male:
CLMoose8-4/21

Female:
vtha-4/10
missxo-4/20

Undetermined:
amr105-4/01
soul_echoes-4/10

What the hell, the class is small enough that it's not entirely futile...
Last edited by CLMoose8 on Wed May 06, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vtha

New

Post by vtha » Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:Sheeeit... I wasn't aware that we could apply online until 4/21, I was led to believe that no one could sign up until they mailed out a paper form. Well, hopefully all of you are girls and thus not my competition.

Male/4-21

4/10/ Female.

But from what I heard from some people since hughes did not bode so well at the ASW many people have chosen to opt out. Let me know if anyone hears anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:37 pm

vtha wrote:
CLMoose8 wrote:Sheeeit... I wasn't aware that we could apply online until 4/21, I was led to believe that no one could sign up until they mailed out a paper form. Well, hopefully all of you are girls and thus not my competition.

Male/4-21

4/10/ Female.

But from what I heard from some people since hughes did not bode so well at the ASW many people have chosen to opt out. Let me know if anyone hears anything.
I'll update the list. Thats good news about people backing out. I didn't even get to tour Hughes, I'm just looking for maximum convenience. Besides, I can live anywhere. My current apartment in Pittsburgh is 400 bucks a month and has an enormous hole in the bedroom where I literally tripped and fell through a wall... Hughes can't be worse than that.

missxo

New

Post by missxo » Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:
vtha wrote:

Male/4-21

4/10/ Female.

I'll update the list. Thats good news about people backing out. I didn't even get to tour Hughes, I'm just looking for maximum convenience. Besides, I can live anywhere. My current apartment in Pittsburgh is 400 bucks a month and has an enormous hole in the bedroom where I literally tripped and fell through a wall... Hughes can't be worse than that.
Add me to the list. Applied 4/20. Female. Maaaaaaan, I hope I get in.

studymaster

New

Post by studymaster » Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:add me to the list for Class of 2012..YAY!!! :D
Congrats!

(yay! I get to meet emma watson!)

Ganbaru

New

Post by Ganbaru » Thu May 07, 2009 8:20 am

For books: You might learn a little more than a week in advance, but correct in that it comes near the end.

How to ask: Once you become a CU law student, you will be get put on a list-serve. Oh... the joys of the list-serve. In any case, you can send out a message and it will spam the entire CU Law school class. People use it to broadcast club messages, or more importantly to spam everyone with pictures of birds.

If you are hesitant about that, there is typically a used book sale about 2 weeks into the semester where people sell their supplements in the foyer. This is a good chance to buy used E&E's, Gilbert's, hornbooks, etc.

Finally, I will likely be selling some of my books and supplements so you can send me a message and I'll e-mail you my Cornell e-mail address for when you get your list.

GL to you all, and see you next year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Thu May 07, 2009 3:20 pm

studymaster wrote:
Congrats!

And not many get that honor....Seriously though...I'm just a really big Harry Potter geek...hehehe!!! 8)

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Thu May 07, 2009 3:23 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:
studymaster wrote:
Congrats!

And not many get that honor....Seriously though...I'm just a really big Harry Potter geek...hehehe!!! 8)

me too!... books though..not a fan of the movies...
so sad it's over.. :(

treschic

New

Post by treschic » Thu May 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Did anyone else just receive their Hughes housing assignment??

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Got my housing assigment! Hughes Hall L07. Anyone else get in?

Edit: that was quick. I got a large, Suite C-3.
Last edited by CLMoose8 on Thu May 07, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:32 pm

so, Cornell already took out the money for the first deposit, and i'm hoping they don't take forever to take out the second one.

i also signed my lease and put my deposit on an apartment in Casa Roma (i think i said this already :P ). they may have some space available(http://www.ithacastudentapartments.com) for those of you still looking. you may have to find a roommate though because i don't think they have anymore studios, 1 bedrooms.

also, check out the other grad off-campus housing (like Hasbrouck or Thurston Court). they are a little further away (about a 15-20 min walk), but right in front of bus stops, so it won't be too difficult getting back and forth. plus, we get free bus passes the first year 8)

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Thu May 07, 2009 4:52 pm

panda wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
studymaster wrote:
Congrats!

me too!... books though..not a fan of the movies...
so sad it's over.. :(

Oh I LOVE the books and the movies (except 5) are a close second

drewtltl

New

Post by drewtltl » Thu May 07, 2009 4:54 pm

I got my Hughes assignment today as well. Room 2L16??? I guess a large room or something. Should be good, I'm from FL so I've got to ease my way into the Ithaca weather, no need to figure out how to drive in snow to school just yet.

marley123

New

Post by marley123 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:59 pm

I also just got my housing assignment today and I applied on 4/21

2L03 - XL room...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”