Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
paraducks

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by paraducks » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:53 pm

i'm coming up on the 13th. i think i should be able to set myself up in a weekend, and am assuming/hoping that there will be at least some time over the week thereafter to buy anything else that i'll need.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:56 pm

FWIW, the academic orientation program will not take up that much of your time. You will have plenty of time to do shopping during the week it lasts.

spike

New

Post by spike » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:49 pm

I arrive the 10th or 11th. Wow, it seems like a lot of TLSers will be there for the academic orientation.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:01 pm

spike wrote:I arrive the 10th or 11th. Wow, it seems like a lot of TLSers will be there for the academic orientation.
not me... :roll: and a little :cry:

ill be in ithaca though...

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 pm

fsohn wrote:FWIW, the academic orientation program will not take up that much of your time. You will have plenty of time to do shopping during the week it lasts.
What's the orientation like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Whats the orientation thing they invited people to in some letters they sent out like 2 weeks ago? I never got one of those. Did alot of you get one? Who is that for? Is that what you guys are talking about, or is that before the real orientation?

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 pm

ddp wrote:
fsohn wrote:FWIW, the academic orientation program will not take up that much of your time. You will have plenty of time to do shopping during the week it lasts.
From what I remember, we had a mini "class" for a few hours each day, and some activities on other days that were optional. There was an "exam" at the end, which was perhaps the only useful thing. Later in the year, you will get to meet with a professor (I met with Dean Holden-Smith, who is awesome, and incredibly friendly when she wants to be) to go over the exam and discuss your performance relative to the expected law school exam. Beyond that, I remember going out to eat a lot, and meeting people, and just getting to know the campus and the area.

markakis

New

Post by markakis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:22 am

So if in the interest of shaving off some cost, I decide to go without cable TV, are there any local channels i can take a peek at from time to time? What is the consensus on owning a pet like a dog or cat during your 1L? I'm going to be one lonely son of a gun.

edited for grammar

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:31 pm

JJim1919 wrote:Whats the orientation thing they invited people to in some letters they sent out like 2 weeks ago? I never got one of those. Did alot of you get one? Who is that for? Is that what you guys are talking about, or is that before the real orientation?
i may be wrong, but i think that the orientation from the 17th - 21st is for diversity students. if you didn't mark yourself as an ethnic minority or lgbt on your application, that's probably why you didn't get one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:55 pm

markakis wrote:So if in the interest of shaving off some cost, I decide to go without cable TV, are there any local channels i can take a peek at from time to time? What is the consensus on owning a pet like a dog or cat during your 1L? I'm going to be one lonely son of a gun.

edited for grammar

I have a dog. I just studied at home more often than at school so I could hang out with her.

And, I dont think the local channels are all that awesome, but I really dont know.

markakis

New

Post by markakis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:13 pm

LeahNic wrote:
markakis wrote:So if in the interest of shaving off some cost, I decide to go without cable TV, are there any local channels i can take a peek at from time to time? What is the consensus on owning a pet like a dog or cat during your 1L? I'm going to be one lonely son of a gun.

edited for grammar

I have a dog. I just studied at home more often than at school so I could hang out with her.

And, I dont think the local channels are all that awesome, but I really dont know.
Thanks much LeahNic; don't you have an SO who lives with you?

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:15 pm

paraducks wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:Whats the orientation thing they invited people to in some letters they sent out like 2 weeks ago? I never got one of those. Did alot of you get one? Who is that for? Is that what you guys are talking about, or is that before the real orientation?
i may be wrong, but i think that the orientation from the 17th - 21st is for diversity students. if you didn't mark yourself as an ethnic minority or lgbt on your application, that's probably why you didn't get one.
Oh okay then, so its not for me anyway! Thanks man! I guess i'll see you guys at the academic orientation then.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:14 pm

markakis wrote:
LeahNic wrote:

edited for grammar

I do, but he is getting his PhD, so he is home a lot less than me. The vast majority of the time I make sure she is taken care of since he is busier.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mr.smurf

New

Post by mr.smurf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:42 am

paraducks wrote:i'm coming up on the 13th. i think i should be able to set myself up in a weekend, and am assuming/hoping that there will be at least some time over the week thereafter to buy anything else that i'll need.
Same here, I'm probably driving up around then. I figure to give myself a good couple of days or so before to get settled in.
fsohn wrote:
ddp wrote:
From what I remember, we had a mini "class" for a few hours each day, and some activities on other days that were optional. There was an "exam" at the end, which was perhaps the only useful thing. Later in the year, you will get to meet with a professor (I met with Dean Holden-Smith, who is awesome, and incredibly friendly when she wants to be) to go over the exam and discuss your performance relative to the expected law school exam. Beyond that, I remember going out to eat a lot, and meeting people, and just getting to know the campus and the area.
Thanks for the info. What optional activities were there?

markakis

New

Post by markakis » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:48 pm

LeahNic wrote:
markakis wrote:
LeahNic wrote:

edited for grammar

I do, but he is getting his PhD, so he is home a lot less than me. The vast majority of the time I make sure she is taken care of since he is busier.
I see. Thanks for your input

missxo

New

Post by missxo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:11 am

When do Hughes ppl move in? I am out of the country right now, so I don't have access to my snail mail. Wondering if any Hughes ppl have received any info about when we are allowed to move in. Thanks.

markakis

New

Post by markakis » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:57 am

Hi people,

I would simply like to know how most 1L go about obtaining past exams of professors for their classes; or in other words, what is most common way of obtaining a professor's past exam in a course? I guess this question is directed to upperclassmen. Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:33 am

markakis wrote:Hi people,

I would simply like to know how most 1L go about obtaining past exams of professors for their classes; or in other words, what is most common way of obtaining a professor's past exam in a course? I guess this question is directed to upperclassmen. Thanks

there is an exam archive on the registrar's site and there are also some hard copies in the library. Some professors don't make their previous exams available (or only make parts of them available) but those professors usually--I think usually; I had two that did this--give out a practice exam during the semester

markakis

New

Post by markakis » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:16 pm

neskerdoo wrote:
markakis wrote:Hi people,

there is an exam archive on the registrar's site and there are also some hard copies in the library. Some professors don't make their previous exams available (or only make parts of them available) but those professors usually--I think usually; I had two that did this--give out a practice exam during the semester
Thanks Nesker

Jessy1024

New

Post by Jessy1024 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:43 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mbw wrote:So if anyone is still looking for housing and wants to live off the hill in Fall Creek, there's a sweet 1250 sq. ft. house (2.5 br, 1 ba, LR, DR, Kit) available on E. Falls (backs up to Fall Creek, just below Ithaca Falls). Rent is $1500, no deposit, no application fee/credit check (in case you don't want to take the small hit just prior to applying for GradPlus.) We originally were renting it, but the house next door (slightly larger) became available, and so we're taking that one. Same landlord, a very cool, laid-back guy.

The house is exactly a mile from the LS, on a quiet street about five blocks from the lake. There's a yard and half a barn. Anyone interested can PM me, and I'll give you the contact info for the owner.
Yaaaaay that's a few blocks from my apartment.

I guess Ithaca's pretty small, so a fairly large percentage of all housing is a few blocks from my apartment, but I still get really excited when I hear about someone living close to me.

I live in fall creek too! Im kind of by the fall creek cinema area. What about you? have you been to ithaca falls yet? It's really breath taking.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 am

Jessy1024 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mbw wrote:So if anyone is still looking for housing and wants to live off the hill in Fall Creek, there's a sweet 1250 sq. ft. house (2.5 br, 1 ba, LR, DR, Kit) available on E. Falls (backs up to Fall Creek, just below Ithaca Falls). Rent is $1500, no deposit, no application fee/credit check (in case you don't want to take the small hit just prior to applying for GradPlus.) We originally were renting it, but the house next door (slightly larger) became available, and so we're taking that one. Same landlord, a very cool, laid-back guy.

The house is exactly a mile from the LS, on a quiet street about five blocks from the lake. There's a yard and half a barn. Anyone interested can PM me, and I'll give you the contact info for the owner.

I guess Ithaca's pretty small, so a fairly large percentage of all housing is a few blocks from my apartment, but I still get really excited when I hear about someone living close to me.

I live in fall creek too! Im kind of by the fall creek cinema area. What about you? have you been to ithaca falls yet? It's really breath taking.
I live about two blocks from the cinema, towards the Falls. Fall Creek goes through my back yard! (well, abuts my back yard.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:51 am

Jessy1024 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

I haven't been to the falls since I was 12 or 13, but I remember them vaguely. If I remember correctly though I can hear them from outside the apartment I'm moving into (it's very close to the falls), so in the time after I move in but before classes start I will go see them at least once.

Jessy1024

New

Post by Jessy1024 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Jessy1024 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

I haven't been to the falls since I was 12 or 13, but I remember them vaguely. If I remember correctly though I can hear them from outside the apartment I'm moving into (it's very close to the falls), so in the time after I move in but before classes start I will go see them at least once.
I'm next door to Gun Hill and across from what was previously the gun factory. It sounds like we're all within a couple of blocks from each other!

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Did anyone else get the email from Patina with the Orientation details? Looks like it will definitely be interesting and I guess the pre-reading for the Supreme Court lecture will help all of us get our feet wet...fun times ahead I'm sure... :shock:

Jessy1024

New

Post by Jessy1024 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:53 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Patina with the Orientation details? Looks like it will definitely be interesting and I guess the pre-reading for the Supreme Court lecture will help all of us get our feet wet...fun times ahead I'm sure... :shock:
Yep I got it too. Nothing like some light summer reading...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”