Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mbw

Bronze

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by mbw » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:38 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
missv463 wrote:the only way i will get cable is if i buy a tv 8) ... how much is it looking like per month?
Other25? Are you there? Any chance you could update the list on page one? There are people missing, I think (if you're not on the list could you raise your hand?)
:::raises hand:::

marley123

New

Post by marley123 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 pm

i am raising my hand over here too!!

also does everyone on here already have their net ids? i feel like it's taking foreverrr.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:06 pm

marley123 wrote:i am raising my hand over here too!!

also does everyone on here already have their net ids? i feel like it's taking foreverrr.
I don't have mine yet, but only because my mail hasn't caught up with me. Funny that I can't just walk up the hill and get it.

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:29 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:oh, yeah, duh. that might help :oops:

Timewarner basic bundle cable + internet. advertised price is 39.95/month, plus taxes it's something like 63/month, the 40 extra is for the "installation." Which is total BS, by the way, this package is so basic there isn't even a cable box. All they need to do is mail me the modem and turn it on from their end... :roll:

I can live without TV because I watch everything I really want to see "online." I can never figure out when a show is going to skip a week or whatever so I don't bother with RL TV. The cable is really for Spike (who I'm rooming with) and random brain-dead channel surfing. But their Cable+Internet bundle is the same price as just Internet (although with the taxes added in...), otherwise we would have just played the bunny ears game (meaning I would have installed a window antenna).
Thanks Shel!!! I guess I'll be giving them a call tomorrow...

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:37 pm

*raises hand*

Also, I got my netID. Mine was mailed out two fridays ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 pm

panda wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
panda wrote:i have no idea if the law school is sending funky sounding letters to me..im half way across the world...
now i have to go get someone to check for me.. humph..
do we have to rsvp? or is it just a 'show up at your leisure' kinda thing?
I think you have to be invited...sorry Panda... :(
hmmm... *shrugs* .. oh well.. but i'll still get someone to check my mail..because if it is for "diverse" students.. I might be invited with you cool kids.. :P
I'm a little miffed about this early orientation thing. What's the deal with a 'diversity' orientation a week before the regular one? I'm feeling left out. What is diverse anyway? :?

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 pm

como wrote:
panda wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
panda wrote:i have no idea if the law school is sending funky sounding letters to me..im half way across the world...
hmmm... *shrugs* .. oh well.. but i'll still get someone to check my mail..because if it is for "diverse" students.. I might be invited with you cool kids.. :P
I'm a little miffed about this early orientation thing. What's the deal with a 'diversity' orientation a week before the regular one? I'm feeling left out. What is diverse anyway? :?
I was at the AOP last year, and you aren't missing all that much. You'll get to meet some people and hang out with them for a week, but that's what you make of it. I didn't really hang out regularly with most of the people I met during AOP, but I know people who did.

Diverse, as I was told by the Law School last year when I called about the letter, means basically that you self-identify as a racial/ethnic minority (not limited to URMs), LGBT, and non-traditional (older) student. For the record, I did not self-identify as any of these things, but I did put my city of birth down as Seoul, so I guess that's why I got invited.

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 pm

I gotcha. Thanks for the input :)

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:24 pm

como wrote:I gotcha. Thanks for the input :)
You can still come hang out ;)

eta: you enjoying that new mac? I've decided on the 2.53GHz 13."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WAHiker

New

Post by WAHiker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:49 am

ben1185 wrote: Ahhh ok... not really all that close haha 8) . I've done quite a bit of technical climbing the two years I've been out here (Rainier, Baker, Bonanza, Stewart, and Shuksan, to name a few). I've also done some non-technical stuff like Si, Granite, Mailbox, Forgotten, and Silver. The mountains will definitely be missed.
That's a pretty impressive set of hikes to cram into two years. Are you part of a club, or just go out on your own?
We're much more amateur than that. We just try to make it a point to walk at least 6 miles in the woods each weekend. Sometimes that means it's a mountain, and sometimes it's just a bunch of nearby parks. When it's not too rainy, we usually end up somewhere in Issaquah, but we've started to venture to eWA.
I'm certainly looking forward to Ithaca, as much as I'll miss real mountains. It looks like it will be pretty easy to find some nice hikes. Maybe we can put together some group hikes.

EDIT: -Also raising hand-

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:06 am

como wrote:
panda wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
i feel with you..

but we should totally crash the party as the pasty kids in the background.. ;)

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:58 am

sheltron5000 wrote:

I might. I'm moving in that week anyway :P

The Cornell Store has actually not shipped my comp yet because they said they were waiting to ship the new upgrade (I can only assume the 2.53GHz 13") at the same price. I literally ordered the 2.4GHz Macbook the Friday before the Monday that they announced the Macbook Pro would replace the aluminum Macbook. They already sent my Touch and MS Office though. The anticipation is killing me

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:11 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
missv463 wrote:the only way i will get cable is if i buy a tv 8) ... how much is it looking like per month?
Or a TV tuner for your computer ;)

Other25? Are you there? Any chance you could update the list on page one? There are people missing, I think (if you're not on the list could you raise your hand?)
Added everyone who raised their hands.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 pm

como wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

I might. I'm moving in that week anyway :P

The Cornell Store has actually not shipped my comp yet because they said they were waiting to ship the new upgrade (I can only assume the 2.53GHz 13") at the same price. I literally ordered the 2.4GHz Macbook the Friday before the Monday that they announced the Macbook Pro would replace the aluminum Macbook. They already sent my Touch and MS Office though. The anticipation is killing me
mine just arrived :)

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Did you guys check to see if the ipod offer applies to cornell orders?

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:06 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:Did you guys check to see if the ipod offer applies to cornell orders?
It totally does, b :D

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:08 pm

como wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:Did you guys check to see if the ipod offer applies to cornell orders?
fawesome! thanks! (who is b?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:11 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:
You are, b. It's b - short for bro, brother, or brethren. A little of my S. side 'cuse slang comin' out.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:13 pm

como wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
como wrote:
You are, b. It's b - short for bro, brother, or brethren. A little of my S. side 'cuse slang comin' out.
oh, duh ;) also, this ^ is hilarious.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Especially given that you've seen what part of 'town' I'm from.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Timewarner basic bundle cable + internet. advertised price is 39.95/month, plus taxes it's something like 63/month, the 40 extra is for the "installation." Which is total BS, by the way, this package is so basic there isn't even a cable box. All they need to do is mail me the modem and turn it on from their end... :roll:

I can live without TV because I watch everything I really want to see "online." I can never figure out when a show is going to skip a week or whatever so I don't bother with RL TV. The cable is really for Spike (who I'm rooming with) and random brain-dead channel surfing. But their Cable+Internet bundle is the same price as just Internet (although with the taxes added in...), otherwise we would have just played the bunny ears game (meaning I would have installed a window antenna).

ha, i know! :) what i meant was... i'm not sure if i'm buying a TV yet. if i do though, i'm prob not going to spend the extra money for cable. im just like you... i don't mind watching shows online. i'll primarily use the TV to watch dvds, and maybe use my Wii.

btw, can you still use an antenna? i thought DTV is now in effect

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:49 pm

missv463 wrote:

ha, i know! :) what i meant was... i'm not sure if i'm buying a TV yet. if i do though, i'm prob not going to spend the extra money for cable. im just like you... i don't mind watching shows online. i'll primarily use the TV to watch dvds, and maybe use my Wii.

btw, can you still use an antenna? i thought DTV is now in effect
Yeah, you can't use bunny ears anymore. You need the converter box or you can buy a new TV that comes DTV ready.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:54 pm

You can totally still use bunny ears. The Digital switch only affects the type of signal (you need a converter to process it for your tv if you don't have a newer digital tv).

If you have a digital TV, or a converter, the bunny ears will still help with reception meaning you can get more/better channels. I'm not totally sure what the difference is for the channel though, maybe digital channels drop frames/pixels instead of being wavy/staticy?

spike

New

Post by spike » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:02 pm

It's true: bunny ears still help to receive the signal. But screw bunny ears, I was just going to use a paper clip! It actually works. :lol:
Last edited by spike on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Alright, everyone. I'm trying to get an idea of who is down for sailing in the day/evening out on the town on Aug 20th. I can't legally have more than 8 out on the boat, due to life jacket requirements, so I am pretty much limited to seven people. I guess the first seven to commit have a seat saved. We can do dinner at Maxie's afterwards, or, if anyone is willing to host (my apt. is probably too small), we could do a potluck or something. Let me know. I'll save you a seat on the boat if you want.

Backup date in the event of rain/lack of wind: August 21st.

R.S.V.P'd:

Sheltron5000
Other25beforeyou +1
Southside
Studymaster
Westmalle +1

FULL - If there is interest in another day, let me know. We could run another day back-to-back.
Last edited by como on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”