Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
CLMoose8

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by CLMoose8 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
danielfgator wrote: -After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.
No joke. There are sweet one bedroom apartments nearish to the law school for the same price as a large single in hughes.
This is very true but as someone currently going through the nightmare that is subletting an apartment it will be nice not having to worry about that and utilities and such things.

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm

CLMoose8 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
danielfgator wrote: -After taking the tour (and not liking it) I checked the prices online. Jeez... it's way too expensive.
No joke. There are sweet one bedroom apartments nearish to the law school for the same price as a large single in hughes.
This is very true but as someone currently going through the nightmare that is subletting an apartment it will be nice not having to worry about that and utilities and such things.
+1

That is the reason why I decided to go with Hughes. I also figure that with the money I'm saving, I'll be able to eat out much more. The lack of a kitchen won't be as problematic (I can spend around 400 on food every month based on the budget).

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 pm

jsun wrote:
CLMoose8 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
+1

That is the reason why I decided to go with Hughes. I also figure that with the money I'm saving, I'll be able to eat out much more. The lack of a kitchen won't be as problematic (I can spend around 400 on food every month based on the budget).
To paraphrase John Masefield (or was it Willy Wonka?)... all I ask is a chicken breast and a George Foreman to grill it by.

spike

New

Post by spike » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Meh. I'm not too critical of Hughes. It's a dorm. If people living there are okay with dealing with dorm-life for law school, they'll be fine. However, note this Hughes residents: you don't get a coat locker. But it's not much of a problem since your room is a brisk five minute walk from anywhere within the law school.

Also, hopingtogo, I'm going to beg/plead/implore that you cook delicious Mexican food. Please? :)

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm

spike wrote: Also, hopingtogo, I'm going to beg/plead/implore that you cook delicious Mexican food. Please? :)
2nded, but extra emphasis on the delicious part, with a deemphasis on the begging/pleading my need for mexican food is apparently not as dramatic as spike's ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm

So I'm officially part of the class of 2012 again. My cycle is now complete! Happy Dance!!

stayingclassy

New

Post by stayingclassy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:50 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:So I'm officially part of the class of 2012 again. My cycle is now complete! Happy Dance!!
Congrats - see you in August!

Alyosha

Bronze

Post by Alyosha » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:40 pm

I have a financial aid question. The only thing I have received is the award letter (which was unimpressive, to say the least), and the letter did not give any instructions about forms that should be completed/dates that are important to watch for, etc. They have not contacted me since. I see there is a gradplus application form on the website, has anyone sent this in yet? Should I wait for an email with instructions about what to do next?

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't post much on this site but everyone in this thread has been super helpful and I really appreciate your willingness to post about housing and life in ithaca. I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall. Just two months away!

spike

New

Post by spike » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Alyosha wrote:I have a financial aid question. The only thing I have received is the award letter (which was unimpressive, to say the least), and the letter did not give any instructions about forms that should be completed/dates that are important to watch for, etc. They have not contacted me since. I see there is a gradplus application form on the website, has anyone sent this in yet? Should I wait for an email with instructions about what to do next?

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't post much on this site but everyone in this thread has been super helpful and I really appreciate your willingness to post about housing and life in ithaca. I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall. Just two months away!
Karla said she would be contacting us over the summer to complete the paperwork. If I remember correctly she said (slowly but loud to emphasize the point), "You don't need to do a thing until I tell you to. Be sure to check your email over the summer b/c that's the way I'm contacting you." I haven't heard a peep from the fin aid office, so I assume I'm fine. I'll call tomorrow to verify.
sheltron5000 wrote:So I'm officially part of the class of 2012 again. My cycle is now complete! Happy Dance!!
Great news!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:55 am

Alyosha wrote:I have a financial aid question. The only thing I have received is the award letter (which was unimpressive, to say the least), and the letter did not give any instructions about forms that should be completed/dates that are important to watch for, etc. They have not contacted me since. I see there is a gradplus application form on the website, has anyone sent this in yet? Should I wait for an email with instructions about what to do next?

You can start by filling out the MPN and DLS stuff that is linked to via the website (Cornell Law -> Admissions -> Financial Aid -> Financial Aid FAQ). Once you do everything (including completing the quiz), just sit back and wait for contact from Financial Aid.

WAHiker

New

Post by WAHiker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Hello everybody,

It looks like I'll be joining a number of you at 700 Stewart! We haven't actually seen the apartment, but we're hoping that it's comfy for two people... is anyone else living two to a one bedroom there?

spike

New

Post by spike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:47 pm

I called today and if you've already been awarded aid, you needn't do a thing until Karla's email arrives in your inbox (to be sent within the next two weeks).

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Had my physical this morning and I Just mailed off my Health info form. That was close - Just realized it had a June 12th deadline a couple of days a go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:05 pm

WAHiker wrote:Hello everybody,

It looks like I'll be joining a number of you at 700 Stewart! We haven't actually seen the apartment, but we're hoping that it's comfy for two people... is anyone else living two to a one bedroom there?
I didn't see the one bedroom units, but if the 2 bedrooms are anything to go by you should be fine, a little tight for two people studying though.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:06 pm

spike wrote:I called today and if you've already been awarded aid, you needn't do a thing until Karla's email arrives in your inbox (to be sent within the next two weeks).

Thanks for that!

Alyosha

Bronze

Post by Alyosha » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:37 pm

spike wrote:I called today and if you've already been awarded aid, you needn't do a thing until Karla's email arrives in your inbox (to be sent within the next two weeks).
Thank you Spike, this was very helpful.

spike

New

Post by spike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WAHiker

New

Post by WAHiker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
WAHiker wrote:Hello everybody,

I didn't see the one bedroom units, but if the 2 bedrooms are anything to go by you should be fine, a little tight for two people studying though.
Thanks sheltron!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 pm

You're welcome.

Also, are we really gonna let a day just go by with no posts?

/posting for posting's sake

CLMoose8

New

Post by CLMoose8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:42 pm

so how are all you guys planning to subtly mess with your ID card photos

i'm thinking big fake mustache, but only big and fake enough to the point where it would still be plausible. like the mustache of a guy who really, really likes to fish.

edit: also possibly a temporary facial tattoo ala Mike Tyson
Last edited by CLMoose8 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:16 pm

I was gonna go with the groucho marx glasses/cigar.
CLMoose8 wrote:so how are all you guys planning to subtly mess with your ID card photos

i'm thinking big fake mustache, but only big and fake enough to the point where it would still be plausible. like the mustache of a guy who really, really like to fish.

I loled and didn't know what to do with this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Ok so I asked these questions over on the Cornell IL thread but maybe some of you have heard about this already...

1) Are seating charts used? If so, is seating assigned? Which classes?

2) Advice on study groups? For my UG I studied alone and I was planning on doing the same for law school but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea....

Thoughts??? :lol:

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 am

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Ok so I asked these questions over on the Cornell IL thread but maybe some of you have heard about this already...

2) Advice on study groups? For my UG I studied alone and I was planning on doing the same for law school but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea....

1) This varies by class, but I think the vast majority use seating charts, but don't assign seating. What will happen is that you'll pick where you want to sit - they'll mark that down. And then you just keep sitting there throughout the semester. The only class that didn't work like this was my lawyering class (in which we could sit wherever whenever).

2) This is a personal preference thing. I never used study groups. I know people who did. Both ways work.

como

Silver

Post by como » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:34 am

CLMoose8 wrote:so how are all you guys planning to subtly mess with your ID card photos

i'm thinking big fake mustache, but only big and fake enough to the point where it would still be plausible. like the mustache of a guy who really, really likes to fish.

Why have a fake mustache? You've got time to grow it, bro. I might get a gnarly mullet going. I'm half-way there.

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:30 pm

woeisme wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:Ok so I asked these questions over on the Cornell IL thread but maybe some of you have heard about this already...

1) This varies by class, but I think the vast majority use seating charts, but don't assign seating. What will happen is that you'll pick where you want to sit - they'll mark that down. And then you just keep sitting there throughout the semester. The only class that didn't work like this was my lawyering class (in which we could sit wherever whenever).

2) This is a personal preference thing. I never used study groups. I know people who did. Both ways work.
Thanks...may I ask why you opted out of the whole study group scene? I tend to get easily distracted so that's why it may not work for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”