Cornell Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Re: Cornell Class of 2012

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm

I can't decide what to do in terms of a laptop, so I'm appealing to y'all for advice. My original plan was to get a netbook for law school stuff and then keep my three year old macbook for personal stuff (web browsing, music). However, I don't really expect my macbook to last a lot longer (I'm pretty rough on her) and I would hate when she dies to only have a netbook, so now I'm thinking maybe I should work an extra couple weeks to get more money and then splurge and get a pretty new 13 inch macbook pro to use for everything and then keep my old macbook as backup.

Thoughts? Ideas? Warnings?

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:25 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:I can't decide what to do in terms of a laptop, so I'm appealing to y'all for advice. My original plan was to get a netbook for law school stuff and then keep my three year old macbook for personal stuff (web browsing, music). However, I don't really expect my macbook to last a lot longer (I'm pretty rough on her) and I would hate when she dies to only have a netbook, so now I'm thinking maybe I should work an extra couple weeks to get more money and then splurge and get a pretty new 13 inch macbook pro to use for everything and then keep my old macbook as backup.

Make sure you are comfortable typing on a netbook. It is not as easy as you'd assume.

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:I can't decide what to do in terms of a laptop, so I'm appealing to y'all for advice. My original plan was to get a netbook for law school stuff and then keep my three year old macbook for personal stuff (web browsing, music). However, I don't really expect my macbook to last a lot longer (I'm pretty rough on her) and I would hate when she dies to only have a netbook, so now I'm thinking maybe I should work an extra couple weeks to get more money and then splurge and get a pretty new 13 inch macbook pro to use for everything and then keep my old macbook as backup.

I'd for the newer Macbook but that's just me. I'm trying to avoid Windows as much as possible so I wouldn't consider getting a netbook.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:23 am

danielfgator wrote:

I'd for the newer Macbook but that's just me. I'm trying to avoid Windows as much as possible so I wouldn't consider getting a netbook.
I love my netbook for it's portability, but I don't want to try to use it for exams and such. I plan to get the 13" macbook pro to use as a desktop and for exams and such.

I think you'd have to be REALLY rough on a macbook to kill it in just three years, but if you really think it could die, I think replacing it is the best way to go. You can always pick up a decent netbook later for cheap if you decided (like me) that the macbook is really too inconvienient. As far as windows goes, windows 7 is like a whole different planet from vista and even xp. It doesn't beat Mac OS yet, but there are a few features I'd like to see apple steal (10.7?), and it's definitely usable. Plus, you can always hackintosh your netbook (I'm considering it, but karmic koala looks really tempting too).

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:30 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
danielfgator wrote:

I love my netbook for it's portability, but I don't want to try to use it for exams and such. I plan to get the 13" macbook pro to use as a desktop and for exams and such.

I think you'd have to be REALLY rough on a macbook to kill it in just three years, but if you really think it could die, I think replacing it is the best way to go. You can always pick up a decent netbook later for cheap if you decided (like me) that the macbook is really too inconvienient. As far as windows goes, windows 7 is like a whole different planet from vista and even xp. It doesn't beat Mac OS yet, but there are a few features I'd like to see apple steal (10.7?), and it's definitely usable. Plus, you can always hackintosh your netbook (I'm considering it, but karmic koala looks really tempting too).
I don't think my macbook's going to die tomorrow, but I just don't trust it to last another three years, and if I'm going to need a new laptop during law school I'd rather just buy it to start with (while I've got money in the bank) and have it the whole time, and have my current macbook still working in case something happens to the new macbook and I need a backup.

My paranoia most likely stems from having a Dell that died on a bi-monthly basis through 2.5 years of UG. I've had a lot of experience being at school with no computer and it sucks.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think it's going to be the macbook pro (ohmygodimsoexcited).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:56 am

Are you guys aware of The Cornell Club?

http://www.cornellclubnyc.com/

My ex was in Manhattan last week and pointed it out. Cool stuff.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 pm

thesouthside wrote:Are you guys aware of The Cornell Club?

It doesn't even have its own squash courts! The gym membership comes with access to the squash courts at The Yale Club.

C'mon Cornell, that's pathetic.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
thesouthside wrote:Are you guys aware of The Cornell Club?

It doesn't even have its own squash courts! The gym membership comes with access to the squash courts at The Yale Club.

C'mon Cornell, that's pathetic.
Yeah, but does YLS have squash courts in it? I didn't think so. 8)

jsun

New

Post by jsun » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Anyone interested in a fantasy football league for this year? Let me know if you're interested, and if there is enough interest, I'll create a league. I prefer ESPN, but have used yahoo in the past and am OK with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:20 pm

jsun wrote:Anyone interested in a fantasy football league for this year? Let me know if you're interested, and if there is enough interest, I'll create a league. I prefer ESPN, but have used yahoo in the past and am OK with it.
Is fantasty football like D&D but with linebackers and quarterbacks instead of elves and wizards?

No, I have no interest in that, but it reminded me that I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in a poker night some night before orientation. Any takers?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
jsun wrote:Anyone interested in a fantasy football league for this year? Let me know if you're interested, and if there is enough interest, I'll create a league. I prefer ESPN, but have used yahoo in the past and am OK with it.
Is fantasty football like D&D but with linebackers and quarterbacks instead of elves and wizards?

No, I have no interest in that, but it reminded me that I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in a poker night some night before orientation. Any takers?
i would normally be really interested..but i can't afford to lose anymore money before law school.. :D

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:02 am

panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

i would normally be really interested..but i can't afford to lose anymore money before law school.. :D
Then we won't play for money, we'll play for fun and bragging rights.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote: Then we won't play for money, we'll play for fun and bragging rights.
:lol: perfect! then i'm in.. i don't mind losing in the ego department..

ill be heading up north around the 17th! woohoo!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

I wish I knew how to play :oops: . See, there goes another stereotype out the window - an NDN who knows nothing about gambling. ;).

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:46 pm

mbw wrote:
I wish I knew how to play :oops: . See, there goes another stereotype out the window - an NDN who knows nothing about gambling. ;).

you should join in anyway..you'll learn.. we'll brag.. ;)

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:32 pm

mbw wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:Is fantasty football like D&D but with linebackers and quarterbacks instead of elves and wizards?

No better time to learn!

If you would like to learn I'd be happy to teach you. I'll be in Ithaca most of the time come the start of August. Same goes for anyone else who wants to learn.

hokoelc

New

Post by hokoelc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:20 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Patina with the Orientation details? Looks like it will definitely be interesting and I guess the pre-reading for the Supreme Court lecture will help all of us get our feet wet...fun times ahead I'm sure... :shock:
I didn't get this email but I'm going for the academic orientation... Would someone please forward it to me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

outofbubble

New

Post by outofbubble » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 am

am i totally screwed if i dont have housing yet...i am still working on it. :(

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:10 am

outofbubble wrote:am i totally screwed if i dont have housing yet...i am still working on it. :(
There seems to still be a lot of housing available in my area (Fall Creek), and I've also seen openings in Craigslist closer to Collegetown. I think you'll be fine.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 pm

hokoelc wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Patina with the Orientation details? Looks like it will definitely be interesting and I guess the pre-reading for the Supreme Court lecture will help all of us get our feet wet...fun times ahead I'm sure... :shock:
I didn't get this email but I'm going for the academic orientation... Would someone please forward it to me?
In case you don't get the packet in time for the academic orientation, the first day's readings are Gideon v. Wainwright, Mapp v. Ohio and Brown v. Mississippi.

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm

mbw wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
No better time to learn!

If you would like to learn I'd be happy to teach you. I'll be in Ithaca most of the time come the start of August. Same goes for anyone else who wants to learn.[/quote]

Sweet, let's play texas hold 'em! Im definitely in if you guys want to play sometime before school starts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:45 pm

mbw wrote:
hokoelc wrote:
In case you don't get the packet in time for the academic orientation, the first day's readings are Gideon v. Wainwright, Mapp v. Ohio and Brown v. Mississippi.
you have to read all of that for the academic orientation happening on the 17th? or are you talking about regular orientation?

if it's the former..maybe i should be happy i wasn't invited.. 8)

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:01 pm

panda wrote:
mbw wrote:
hokoelc wrote:
you have to read all of that for the academic orientation happening on the 17th? or are you talking about regular orientation?

if it's the former..maybe i should be happy i wasn't invited.. 8)
It's the former. And we even have to take an exam on the last day - so, yes, be happy. :)

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:03 pm

mbw wrote: It's the former. And we even have to take an exam on the last day - so, yes, be happy. :)
holy crap. now i just feel like im gonna be behind.. :shock:

oh well... at least ill be playing poker.. that's gotta be good for some sort of mental stimulation, right?

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:59 am

It's the former. And we even have to take an exam on the last day - so, yes, be happy.
Umm...I don't remember any of those cases for AOP...was that in the letter sent via snail mail? Admittedly I didn't read the entire thing... :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”