Penn Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Georgiana

Silver

Re: Penn Class of 2012

Post by Georgiana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:01 pm

caoyun wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
caoyun wrote:
Georgiana wrote:I think I checked out all of the possible schedules for 1L's this coming year and it was set up the same way ours was, everyone has class at the same time, just different classes. Also, the legal writing class doesnt meet as often as it says on your schedule :)

If anyone has prof questions let me know! Happy to help.

Hope you all are getting excited!
I have Struve, Johnston, Allen, Wagner, Simon and Willig. Do you know anything about any of them?
Struve: Everyone loves her, IMO she is too nice to teach civ pro, but thats just because I am of the belief that 1L's need hardcore people for 1L. I haven't had many interactions with her, but she is a genuinely super nice person.

Wagner: He does not love (or even like) teaching property, he is a patents man all the way. His exam apparently did not reflect the course from last semester.

Allen: Her speciality is privacy, I don't know what she will be like for torts...

Simon: I assume you mean Anne (Ann?) Simon for legal writing. You will have very little interaction with her, it is really the legal writing instructor (3L) you need to care about.

I don't know anything about anyone named Willig. Is that contracts? Or is that your 3L LWI?
Not Anne Simon.. I don't have the first name, but its J. Simon. Willig is for LWI. Johnston is my contracts professor.

Thanks for the input. My guess is there are good and bad professors. Each section probably has a couple of each. Hopefully none are too bad, though.
Righhhhhht it is jessica simon and anne kringle. Shows how much I got to know them... The legal writing "profs" are not great. And I don't know that K's prof... Visiting maybe?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

bugsy wrote:Thanks for the great input! Any info on Johnston? He's teaching contracts this year. Thanks again!
Taught last year, I didn't hear much which means he can't be that bad :)

cambodge

New

Post by cambodge » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:30 am

FYI section 2: we have a reading assignment for property for the first class which is NOT long and not difficult so far... and interesting :)
Last edited by cambodge on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:59 am

cambodge wrote:FYI section 2: we have a reading assignment for property for the first class which is long but not difficult so far... and interesting :)
Not in section 2, but where did you hear about this assignment?

cambodge

New

Post by cambodge » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:20 am

on GOAT there is a link to each class page. some of the teachers have put notes up about required assignments with links to them on the left hand side.
Last edited by cambodge on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cambodge

New

Post by cambodge » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:02 am

Sorry to confuse people... it's actually GOAT
https://goat.law.upenn.edu/
then go to the course portal and click on the classes for books/assignments, etc.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:04 am

So far, two of my classes have posted a syllabus or notes. One of them is very neatly organized with dates and everything for assignments. The other doesn't bother to tell you when you actually have to complete any of the readings. Hopefully the others will be better organized.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:51 pm

caoyun wrote:So far, two of my classes have posted a syllabus or notes. One of them is very neatly organized with dates and everything for assignments. The other doesn't bother to tell you when you actually have to complete any of the readings. Hopefully the others will be better organized.
Katz and fink both do this. Its annoying but usually their reading load is lower so it ends up being a good thing.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:25 am

Orientation is v fun so far! Initial thoughts from everyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 am

kurla88 wrote:Orientation is v fun so far! Initial thoughts from everyone?

Unfortunately, I doubt that the official orientation will be as fun. The schedules for Thursday and Friday look really boring. I guess if you want to make it interesting, you have to do all the random, non-mandatory things. Either way, I move in tomorrow, so I haven't done any orientation stuff yet.

Hey, I have a question. Has anyone been able to access the Penn email? I haven't been able to get in at all. Or are the Penn Law emails not full emails?

YoungFella

New

Post by YoungFella » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Hey all. My schedule looks like this:

Civ Pro - Struve
Contracts - Johnston
Property - Wagner
Torts - Baker, T.
Legal Writing - Simon
LWI - Pudlin

Where do I see what section I am in??

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

You are section 1 - it says the section number (001 for you) after the course number.

random248

New

Post by random248 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:58 am

Georgiana wrote:
absworkoutplan wrote:I've heard scary and good/bad things about Burbanks and Katz. Anything interesting and/or good to know?
Katz: I am assuming you have him for contracts, I had him for crim. People who had him for contracts (random should be able to weigh in on this one) loved him.
I wasn't on to see this earlier, but can indeed weigh in! I loved Katz's Contracts class, and nearly everyone I know shares this sentiment. We had a smaller class with him, since it was our split/"Team" class, but I imagine it will be equally fantastic with the full section. He will give you a lot of obscure (/hilarious) hypos, but don't be intimidated when you get called on for them -- half the time, no one else knows the answer (if there is one) either, which is the fun of the class discussions. His class is engaging and he is really nice, but his teaching style will still motivate you to come to class prepared and to retain what you have covered throughout the course, which I think is ideal for a law school class. In terms of some of the less-awesome things you may have heard about him, I really can't speak to his Crim class but, in terms of Contracts... I'd just say that you should make sure you keep up with the reading and organize your notes throughout the course. As much as I felt that he did a great job of teaching us Contracts, it's still important to go back after class and figure out what the point of each case was. Otherwise, the days where class devolves into a discussion of obscure hypos could be confusing/seemingly unhelpful. (Not that this doesn't apply to any class, but I suppose I'd say that this is definitely a class where, at least based on my experience, you probably won't rely on the lectures alone to get a grasp of the course -- and I mean that in a good way.)

Also, make sure you get a small group together and go to lunch with him -- he is fascinating and really nice outside of Contracts/class too! Good luck. I have to say, I'm a tad jealous of you guys... I would totally do Contracts with Katz again (yes, I really did just say that!).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:07 am

caoyun wrote:
kurla88 wrote:Orientation is v fun so far! Initial thoughts from everyone?

Unfortunately, I doubt that the official orientation will be as fun. The schedules for Thursday and Friday look really boring. I guess if you want to make it interesting, you have to do all the random, non-mandatory things. Either way, I move in tomorrow, so I haven't done any orientation stuff yet.

Hey, I have a question. Has anyone been able to access the Penn email? I haven't been able to get in at all. Or are the Penn Law emails not full emails?

I don't think they're actual emails. They just get forwarded to whatever address you gave them.

12(b)(6)

New

Post by 12(b)(6) » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:22 am

Anyone know when we hear about journals?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”