Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
littleboyblue

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by littleboyblue » Wed May 13, 2009 8:25 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
arrrrrr! wrote:does anyone know where i can see next year's classes?
A pdf file of the tentative course listing for 2009-2010 (but not schedule), which the Registrar constantly updates, was just posted to the school Intranet. I'm not sure if they'll make it available to incoming 1Ls before you get here.

Last year, finding out which professors were teaching which 1L classes was just kind of like a big "reveal"/surprise when everyone filed into the auditorium to get our registration materials & class assignments - then, of course, after three days of "What's your name/where are you from?" questions, the conversation turns to "Whose small group are you in?"
hey rabbit - do you mind talking a little bit about orientation. were there lots of scheduled events, icebreaker type stuff, or is it more just one day of people telling you how to do stuff, where to go, etc...and then classes begin...

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:35 pm

littleboyblue wrote: hey rabbit - do you mind talking a little bit about orientation. were there lots of scheduled events, icebreaker type stuff, or is it more just one day of people telling you how to do stuff, where to go, etc...and then classes begin...
Kind of a mix? My memory is honestly pretty fuzzy. :)

There were, of course, scheduled events - I seem to remember a welcome by the Dean & info on the history of YLS, a session on lawyer-ethics, a session on writing, a general lecture on federal courts, a session on security, drop-in sessions for learning how to use your computer on the Yale network, a library orientation. Scattered throughout those sessions were other more casual/social things, like a chance to meet your Dean's adviser and your first meeting with your small group. It's not like every day was packed back-to-back, but you should certainly expect to be kept pretty busy Tuesday - Friday. Many people used the weekend to get settled in and make last-minute trips to IKEA, etc.

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 am

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:28 am

-Can anyone give me information on the LSO Summer Internships? I ran across this on the YLS website (http://www.law.yale.edu/academics/lsosu ... nships.htm), but don't remember hearing anything about it in the Public Interest session during ASW. Are most of these internships given to YLS students? How high is the competition for these spots? Can 1Ls get these internships for their first summer?
I have an LSO summer internship for my 1L summer. Most spots go to YLS students; if there are more spots than students, the school will hire students from other law schools. It's not competitive at all. If you prepare for the interview and don't bumble it, the job is yours.

(I could go on about the advantages (as I see them) of the program, but I won't.)

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:10 am

As to your first question, I know that it is possible to take out additional private loans (aka "emergency loans") during the school year, although I don't know the actual process by which this is done. Perhaps rabbit or someone else will know more.

As a general matter, it is not too difficult to stay inside of the expected budget. For the year, I'll be about $6,000 under what the expected budget projects. Just remember, people: buy the drinks that are on special!

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am

alexb240 wrote:
-Can anyone give me information on the LSO Summer Internships? I ran across this on the YLS website (http://www.law.yale.edu/academics/lsosu ... nships.htm), but don't remember hearing anything about it in the Public Interest session during ASW. Are most of these internships given to YLS students? How high is the competition for these spots? Can 1Ls get these internships for their first summer?
I have an LSO summer internship for my 1L summer. Most spots go to YLS students; if there are more spots than students, the school will hire students from other law schools. It's not competitive at all. If you prepare for the interview and don't bumble it, the job is yours.

(I could go on about the advantages (as I see them) of the program, but I won't.)
Alex, which clinic are you working on?

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:20 am

I will be working for Immigration Legal Services and Legal Services for Immigrant Communities. Don't ask me why they decided to give two clinics virtually the same name. ILS works mainly with asylum cases and related matters. LSIC is essentially a "catch-all" community clinic -- they'll do some claims court stuff, landlord-tent stuff, family law, etc. It'll be a great opportunity to take on a variety of cases and work in different areas of the law for people in need.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu May 14, 2009 11:31 am

alexb240 wrote:I will be working for Immigration Legal Services and Legal Services for Immigrant Communities. Don't ask me why they decided to give two clinics virtually the same name. ILS works mainly with asylum cases and related matters. LSIC is essentially a "catch-all" community clinic -- they'll do some claims court stuff, landlord-tent stuff, family law, etc. It'll be a great opportunity to take on a variety of cases and work in different areas of the law for people in need.
thanks for the reply - are you basically assigned clinics or do you get to choose. if you get to choose, do you usually get your first choice? thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:59 am

Well, you'll certainly have the opportunity during the interview to discuss which clinics you are most interested in. My own experience may be somewhat unique. I said that I most preferred a different clinic (Community Economic Development) but that I would also enjoy working for the immigration clinics. I also noted that I am fluent in Spanish, and I think that led them to decide that I would produce maximum value in the immigration clinics (it seems they're always short of Spanish translators).

I think most people probably receive their first choice, and a few might be pushed to their second. I think I received my second choice because I have a skill that they want to utilize.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Alex, if you don't mind my asking, what will you be doing this summer? Public interest? Firm?

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:07 pm

I have an LSO summer internship, meaning I will be working for the law school's clinics. I will also be working on a paper with a professor, and may RA (although that's probably a bit too ambitious of a schedule).

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Thu May 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 am

I will be working for the two aforementioned clinics. I imagine most people will be confined to the clinic they have been assigned to. Generally, the clinics handle long-term cases. It probably wouldn't be the best use of human capital to allow people to move around, as you'd constantly need to bring people up to speed on cases.

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Fri May 15, 2009 9:56 am

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sat May 16, 2009 2:06 pm

soooo.....how much longer you guys think it will be until we get our email addresses? :wink: :cry: :wink:

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:13 pm

heyguys wrote:soooo.....how much longer you guys think it will be until we get our email addresses? :wink: :cry: :wink:
Last year, we got ours around June 15th.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsplz

New

Post by lsplz » Sat May 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Hey guys, checking in! I got in off the waitlist yesterday, have until Wednesday to decide- leaning that way, but have some personal reasons that keep Harvard decidedly on the table. I definitely didn't think this'd happen, super excited!

I feel like I should have a specific question to ask, but don't. Actually, random question- do people- especially those already there- have a sense for how much of the class is right out of or almost right out of college? The fact that I'm right out of undergrad makes me worry that I'll feel very young around such an accomplished group, and off the waitlist theré's no option to defer. Is that a stat that's listed somewhere? How do different aged students interact?

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Sat May 16, 2009 6:29 pm

lsplz wrote:Hey guys, checking in! I got in off the waitlist yesterday, have until Wednesday to decide- leaning that way, but have some personal reasons that keep Harvard decidedly on the table. I definitely didn't think this'd happen, super excited!

I feel like I should have a specific question to ask, but don't. Actually, random question- do people- especially those already there- have a sense for how much of the class is right out of or almost right out of college? The fact that I'm right out of undergrad makes me worry that I'll feel very young around such an accomplished group, and off the waitlist theré's no option to defer. Is that a stat that's listed somewhere? How do different aged students interact?
There were plenty of people still in UG or 1-2 years out of undergrad. Any number i throw out would be a random guess, though. Congrats, btw.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:33 pm

As Sparky says, the majority of students are either straight out or less than five years out of undergrad. There's a great atmosphere of collegiality here and young students fit right in -- in fact, it's probably easier to be a young student here (than to be a non-traditional student), as most people are like yourself.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sat May 16, 2009 6:34 pm

lsplz wrote:I feel like I should have a specific question to ask, but don't. Actually, random question- do people- especially those already there- have a sense for how much of the class is right out of or almost right out of college? The fact that I'm right out of undergrad makes me worry that I'll feel very young around such an accomplished group, and off the waitlist theré's no option to defer. Is that a stat that's listed somewhere? How do different aged students interact?
I have been out of undergrad longer than most people in the class. One of the (many) things that impressed me about the admitted students was the ease with which everyone interacted. The effortless diversity of all kinds was one of the most appealing aspects of YLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:36 pm

lsplz wrote:Hey guys, checking in! I got in off the waitlist yesterday, have until Wednesday to decide- leaning that way, but have some personal reasons that keep Harvard decidedly on the table. I definitely didn't think this'd happen, super excited!

I feel like I should have a specific question to ask, but don't. Actually, random question- do people- especially those already there- have a sense for how much of the class is right out of or almost right out of college? The fact that I'm right out of undergrad makes me worry that I'll feel very young around such an accomplished group, and off the waitlist there's no option to defer. Is that a stat that's listed somewhere? How do different aged students interact?
First, congratulations! You have a tough decision to make, and two fabulous choices...good luck figuring out (quickly!) what's best for you.

Second, I don't think there's any official statistic on how many people come straight through vs. take time off, but my unofficial answer is always something like "about 1/3 come straight through, about 1/3 take one or two years off, and 1/3 are more than two years out." To be honest, though, I wouldn't really focus on the numbers...it's often really hard to know who's come straight through and who's taken time off (or how much time). Unless I know for sure that someone has come straight from college, it's nearly impossible to guess how old someone is when it's their birthday...anywhere from 21 to 28 pretty much melts together. While it might be the case that generally those who are younger are more likely to "go out" more often, it's certainly not always the case...and people mix together pretty seamlessly. Plus, in a social setting or on a day-to-day basis, it's very rare that anyone's accomplishments matter or come up in conversation. There are multiple people in my class that I'm friends with who were Rhodes/Marshall scholars, and I had no idea until WAAY after I had played frisbee and done shots with them. :)

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:38 pm

The only thing that really matters here is if you're involved in the Yale Journal of Space and Robot Law and how your team does in the Small Group Olympics. Most clerkship opportunities flow through those two sources. rabbit can confirm.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:50 pm

alexb240 wrote:The only thing that really matters here is if you're involved in the Yale Journal of Space and Robot Law and how your team does in the Small Group Olympics. Most clerkship opportunities flow through those two sources. rabbit can confirm.
Confirmed. Alex, do you think a bronze metal in the SGOs will at least get me a solid district clerkship? :P

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:53 pm

I hear that Judge Judy is willing to look past SGO results. You should probably submit to Judge Joe Brown also, although I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. ;-)

Also: how lame is it that like six teams "tied" for Bronze? C'mon. Winners win and losers lose. Don't give me this tie stuff.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”