Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
tinman

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by tinman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:47 pm

ahnielove wrote:
zabagabe wrote:
bearyfun wrote:I'm so excited for the ASW! Is anyone here going to be at Stanford's the weekend before?
+1. Can't wait for the next two weekends! Just unfortunate I have to pick only one in the end..! :)
I'll be at both also. Looking forward to it.
I will be at both as well. I was leaning toward Yale, but a few phone conversations this week with professors and stdents at both gave a huge bump to Stanford. One Yale professor even said I should go to Stanford, given my interests. I am on the fence after already visiting both once. I hope to find some clarity after these ASWs. I think the bottom line is that both schools are ridiculously awesome!

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:29 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:02 am

joshikousei wrote:
tinman wrote:
I will be at both as well. I was leaning toward Yale, but a few phone conversations this week with professors and stdents at both gave a huge bump to Stanford. One Yale professor even said I should go to Stanford, given my interests. I am on the fence after already visiting both once. I hope to find some clarity after these ASWs. I think the bottom line is that both schools are ridiculously awesome!
out of curiosity, tinman, what are your interests? (i.e., what exactly about stanford is more appealing?)
My main interest is academia (perhaps via a clerkship) in science and health law. If I was focused on practicing IP law, Stanford would be a no brainer. But I do feel like Yale provides more opportunities to develop scholarship (even though they have few to no mentors in this area). I have talked to a ridiculous number of people who study science and health law at both schools, and I am actually writing from a hotel at Yale now. I will visit one class (and maybe a clinic) tomorrow, but mostly I will be talking to students who study science law at Yale, leaning how they make it work and whether they regret choosing Yale over Stanford. I have already met a handful of people who fall in this catagory, people whose gut told them to go to Stanford but who choose Yale for what they described as the wrong reasons. And in case you are curious, most of these people were not science law people. I may go with Yale, but I don't want to be a statistic. My gut leads me strongly to both schools at this point(over the Big H and multiple full scholarship offers), pulling me apart from the coasts. I wish I could split my time between the schools. I can't imagine turning either down.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:09 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:58 am

joshikousei wrote:
also, does anyone know how hard it is to defer for a year at YLS? two years? i know that you have to submit a request for deferral, but... if it's a good opportunity, what's the % likelihood of approval?

also, does anyone know if it's possible to defer for ANOTHER year after one year of deferral? (i.e. i defer for one year, but decide sometime before september 2010 that i want to take another year off due to said good opportunity?)
Generally, my sense is that if you have a plan (a program or degree institution or fellowship, etc.) to commit to, they're more willing to grant a deferral than if you just say, "Hey, Asha, I really just want to take a year off...travel the world, expand my horizons."

That said, Yale doesn't have its "there are no rules! students do whatever they want!" reputation that it does for no reason...I've heard a few really crazy stories with regard to deferrals that have been granted (and, yes, in some cases renewed), so I think this is one of those situations where Yale's small size really does allow you to plead your case with the powers that be. I wouldn't make broad generalizations, but instead recommend you talk to Asha about your specific situation.

Also, of course, the earlier you talk to them, the better...b/c the earlier you give them a heads up that you won't be here (and, let's be honest, paying tuition) in Fall 2009, the easier it is for them to get just the right replacement to take your place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:19 am

SInce it looks more and more like I won't be joining you, make sure you all have a drink for me somewhere during the ASW! :)

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:18 pm

iagolives wrote:SInce it looks more and more like I won't be joining you, make sure you all have a drink for me somewhere during the ASW! :)
Absolutely.

Severa

New

Post by Severa » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:36 am

tinman wrote:
joshikousei wrote:
tinman wrote:
out of curiosity, tinman, what are your interests? (i.e., what exactly about stanford is more appealing?)
My main interest is academia (perhaps via a clerkship) in science and health law. If I was focused on practicing IP law, Stanford would be a no brainer. But I do feel like Yale provides more opportunities to develop scholarship (even though they have few to no mentors in this area). I have talked to a ridiculous number of people who study science and health law at both schools, and I am actually writing from a hotel at Yale now. I will visit one class (and maybe a clinic) tomorrow, but mostly I will be talking to students who study science law at Yale, leaning how they make it work and whether they regret choosing Yale over Stanford. I have already met a handful of people who fall in this catagory, people whose gut told them to go to Stanford but who choose Yale for what they described as the wrong reasons. And in case you are curious, most of these people were not science law people. I may go with Yale, but I don't want to be a statistic. My gut leads me strongly to both schools at this point(over the Big H and multiple full scholarship offers), pulling me apart from the coasts. I wish I could split my time between the schools. I can't imagine turning either down.
So any idea what areas of the law are "stereotypically Yale"? I don't imagine they are as known for BIGLAW kids as well say Columbia and others in the T14--then again, I know very little about the conventions of each place...any thoughts?

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:09 am

Severa wrote:
tinman wrote:
joshikousei wrote:
tinman wrote:
So any idea what areas of the law are "stereotypically Yale"? I don't imagine they are as known for BIGLAW kids as well say Columbia and others in the T14--then again, I know very little about the conventions of each place...any thoughts?
I was at Yale the past couple days. My impression is that constitutional law, administrative law, and history of law are the areas that are "stereotypically Yale," perfect for people interested in government. Of course they often have one or two superstars in other areas of law (just unfortunately not in mine). I spent most of my visit talking to students that work and publish on science-related legal issues. I was extremely impressed by them, and would definitely follow their academic model if I come to Yale. I will be back at both Yale and Stanford again for the ASWs. What impressed me most about Yale was the absolute freedom it offers, which is perfect for people like the students I met this week (a highly biased sample of scholars I had sought out), students who can direct their own education and who came in knowing approximately what they wanted to study. If Stanford does not seem to offer such freedom when I visit next weekend, I will likely go with Yale, even though Yale has no permanent faculty working in my areas of interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Last edited by rabbit9198 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:47 pm

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 pm

bearyfun

New

Post by bearyfun » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Has anyone heard about accomodations for the ASW? In the RSVP form, they ask if you need a place to stay but I haven't heard anything since...

Also, is there a schedule somewhere of which classes we can go to on Thursday?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 pm

bearyfun wrote:Has anyone heard about accomodations for the ASW? In the RSVP form, they ask if you need a place to stay but I haven't heard anything since...

I'm still waiting. I read last year's thread and it seemed that you don't hear until pretty close to the day.

Here's the class schedule:
http://ylsinfo.law.yale.edu/wsw/prereg/ ... erm=Spring

I think we can attend any class in session. I sat in on Ellickson's property class last time I visited and was told to say hello at the beginning of the class but that no other arrangement was necessary.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:45 pm

bgc wrote:
bearyfun wrote:Has anyone heard about accomodations for the ASW? In the RSVP form, they ask if you need a place to stay but I haven't heard anything since...

I'm still waiting. I read last year's thread and it seemed that you don't hear until pretty close to the day.

Here's the class schedule:
http://ylsinfo.law.yale.edu/wsw/prereg/ ... erm=Spring

I think we can attend any class in session. I sat in on Ellickson's property class last time I visited and was told to say hello at the beginning of the class but that no other arrangement was necessary.
I have not heard about accommodations either, but they definitely want us to stay with current students, so I am sure we will all be fine. I can't wait until these ASWs are over. It's exciting to visit all these schools, but I want to make a final decision so I can stop visiting these law forums and obsessing about it :)

ahnielove

New

Post by ahnielove » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:32 pm

For potential ASW attendees, is anyone flying into BDL on Wednesday night and leaving Saturday morning? I'm thinking of renting a car and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in hitching a ride with me and sharing some of the cost... it'd be cheaper than the shuttle.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 pm

Well, I'm checking in :P . Mr. Craig called me earlier, and I was basically shocked enough that I didn't have much to say besides, "Wow, I'm frankly dumbfounded at the moment" a few times. Ha, after going complete in mid-October, it was definitely the last thing I was expecting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shuchong

New

Post by shuchong » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Congrats :D

reasontobelieve

New

Post by reasontobelieve » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07 pm

I'm in too! Just under the wire!

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Congrats guys!!!! Are you coming to the ASW? :)

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 pm

in.

wee!

edit: might come to the ASW. might decide HYS with a dartboard. we'll see.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sandpiper

New

Post by sandpiper » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Hey Guys!

Long-time reader (last cycle anyways), first time poster. Anyways, I'm a Yale 1L, a friend of Rabbit's (it's odd to refer to him/her by an on-line handle), and more than willing to answer any and (almost) all questions you all may have about tYLS.I know a lot of y'all are going to be making some tough decisions in the next few weeks, and, having gone through all of this last year, I'd love to do anything that I can to help you all make the right decision for you.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Congrats to all the new admits, and welcome, sandpiper! :)

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 am

Last edited by franfair on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

constellationx

New

Post by constellationx » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:45 am

Congrats, guys!!!

ASW can't come soon enough! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”