Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
rabbit9198

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by rabbit9198 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:30 pm

alexb240 wrote:I hear that Judge Judy is willing to look past SGO results. You should probably submit to Judge Joe Brown also, although I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. ;-)

Also: how lame is it that like six teams "tied" for Bronze? C'mon. Winners win and losers lose. Don't give me this tie stuff.
I guess if the clerkship route doesn't work out, I can still get a piece of the action by becoming a famous TV-judge bailiff: http://www.yuppiepunk.org/2008/05/know- ... liffs.html

...though, I'm not entirely sure how one *becomes* a bailiff....

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:15 pm

I don't know where you came up with that link, but I love it. I guess I don't watch enough daytime television, as I didn't realize there were so many courtroom shows on the air. I will be submitting clerkship applications to all of those judges. I will, however, stick with Judge Judy as my top choice, as I understand her to be a major SCOTUS feeder.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Tue May 19, 2009 4:53 pm

So unless we hear from Ms. Barnes we should just assume that all of our papers are in order?

I have this nagging feeling that I should be doing something or waiting for some type of response...but I don't know what.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Don't worry, I'm sure you're fine. The financial aid office usually takes its time.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Wed May 20, 2009 10:41 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Wed May 20, 2009 10:46 am

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:21 pm

The real question is what percentage of incoming admits (and students generally) are super sophisticated robots that have somehow managed to pull off infiltration into human society and appear to pass the Turing test with ease.

My guess? 99+%.

FranFang

New

Post by FranFang » Thu May 21, 2009 12:29 am

Hey all, this is a bit last minute, but I'm planning on going up to New Haven tomorrow evening until Saturday morning to look for apartments. Most of the students I know there have already moved out or are in the process of doing so. Does anyone (Maybe Rabbit and Alex?) know of anyone who has a couch to spare for those couple of nights?

Where have those of you who have looked for apartments stayed?

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu May 21, 2009 6:41 pm

do classrooms have outlet's by the seats to plug in a computer or do you really need to depend on your battery/charge all day?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:19 pm

littleboyblue wrote:do classrooms have outlet's by the seats to plug in a computer or do you really need to depend on your battery/charge all day?
Yes, generally, except in the case of two less-often-used rooms, where there aren't enough plugs for everyone/they're awkwardly located. At most, if you had a class in one of those rooms, you'd have to go two hours on battery.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu May 21, 2009 7:21 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:do classrooms have outlet's by the seats to plug in a computer or do you really need to depend on your battery/charge all day?
Yes, generally, except in the case of two less-often-used rooms, where there aren't enough plugs for everyone/they're awkwardly located. At most, if you had a class in one of those rooms, you'd have to go two hours on battery.

thanks!

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Hey all, this is a bit last minute, but I'm planning on going up to New Haven tomorrow evening until Saturday morning to look for apartments. Most of the students I know there have already moved out or are in the process of doing so. Does anyone (Maybe Rabbit and Alex?) know of anyone who has a couch to spare for those couple of nights?

Where have those of you who have looked for apartments stayed?

Sorry bud, out of town until Monday. I think the cheapest hotel within the area is Hotel Duncan, which is in a very central location. They don't have a website, so you may have to look them up in the Yellow Pages. Good luck.

randomapplicant

New

Post by randomapplicant » Fri May 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Does anyone know anything about the apartments at 165 or 166 Park? They're in a good location and seem decently priced for one-bedrooms...any lurking down sides?

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sat May 23, 2009 2:41 am

randomapplicant wrote:Does anyone know anything about the apartments at 165 or 166 Park? They're in a good location and seem decently priced for one-bedrooms...any lurking down sides?
I visited, and almost rented, one of these apartments. I think I looked at 165 park--the apartment with the garden-level living space and the fireman's pole. The current tenant was happy with the management company.

I ended up with a different place from the same company but I liked the one there. I think it would be good. If you take it, I want to come to a party at your place. :)

Severa

New

Post by Severa » Sat May 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Hey all,

I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their decision and put in my name for the c/o 2012 as well. Ok, on a more self-interested note, I wanted to know if anyone has any info on what areas of the downtown are "bad" (especially by New Haven standards) and if there was any particular problem with living in Court/State street area.

Thanks!

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Sat May 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Last edited by joshikousei on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Severa wrote:Ok, on a more self-interested note, I wanted to know if anyone has any info on what areas of the downtown are "bad" (especially by New Haven standards) and if there was any particular problem with living in Court/State street area.

Thanks!
Eh...not that many people live there (in general, very few people live east of Church Street downtown - those that do tend to live more to the east, like in Wooster Square), and it's more of a commercial area. I'm not sure I'd say it's a "bad" area, but it's less of a student area and so probably less well-trafficked at night? Farther "up"/north on State St, you get more into the East Rock-y neighborhood, but there's not all that much around Court other than the secondary train station.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Wed May 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tally72

New

Post by Tally72 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:12 am

I was recently admitted off the waitlist and am looking forward to joining all of you in New Haven!

I'm working on the student loan forms that were due for most of you on May 4. I want to make sure I have things right on a few points and thought I'd try TLS before calling the financial aid office. I'm planning on taking out Stafford and GradPLUS loans through Access Group. Do I contact Access Group directly or will Yale do that for me? Also, is the guaranty agency for Access Group Texas Guaranteed or something else?

Thanks for any help.

bearyfun

New

Post by bearyfun » Thu May 28, 2009 11:17 am

Tally72 wrote:I was recently admitted off the waitlist and am looking forward to joining all of you in New Haven!

I'm working on the student loan forms that were due for most of you on May 4. I want to make sure I have things right on a few points and thought I'd try TLS before calling the financial aid office. I'm planning on taking out Stafford and GradPLUS loans through Access Group. Do I contact Access Group directly or will Yale do that for me? Also, is the guaranty agency for Access Group Texas Guaranteed or something else?

Thanks for any help.
Congrats, Tally! You contact Access group directly for the GradPLUS and Yale will take care of the Stafford. Access Group uses different guaranty agencies - mine happened to not be Texas Gauranteed. You submit the application and then a week or so later you call back to get the name of the guaranty agency they've assigned to you (I tried calling back before then, because I needed the agency name for the Yale form, but it ended up taking them the full week or so for them to assign a guaranty agency to my loan). Let me know if you have any other questions.

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 am

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

randomapplicant

New

Post by randomapplicant » Thu May 28, 2009 6:18 pm

bearyfun wrote:
Tally72 wrote:I was recently admitted off the waitlist and am looking forward to joining all of you in New Haven!

Thanks for any help.
Congrats, Tally! You contact Access group directly for the GradPLUS and Yale will take care of the Stafford. Access Group uses different guaranty agencies - mine happened to not be Texas Gauranteed. You submit the application and then a week or so later you call back to get the name of the guaranty agency they've assigned to you (I tried calling back before then, because I needed the agency name for the Yale form, but it ended up taking them the full week or so for them to assign a guaranty agency to my loan). Let me know if you have any other questions.
I just e-mailed Roselyn about this today because I thought I had made a mistake, and she replied "Connecticut Student Loan Foundation is the current one, for 2009-10 it is going to change to Texas Guaranteed." It didn't seem like too big of a deal if you put the wrong thing, but you might want to contact her.

On another note, does anyone know if Towers residents have trouble with wireless since there are so many computers around?

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri May 29, 2009 2:09 am

So payment is due August 1st but our loans are not disbursed until September 1st.

I'm assuming that our accounts are credited and then debited on August first, we just don't have access to what's leftover until september 1st? Is this correct?

constellationx

New

Post by constellationx » Sat May 30, 2009 6:14 pm

SparkyLives wrote:So payment is due August 1st but our loans are not disbursed until September 1st.

I'm assuming that our accounts are credited and then debited on August first, we just don't have access to what's leftover until september 1st? Is this correct?
I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone know the answer?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:18 pm

constellationx wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:So payment is due August 1st but our loans are not disbursed until September 1st.

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone know the answer?
Yes, that´s correct. You´ll have access to your *extra* loan money on the first or second day of school. Everything is considered credited on time if you are taking out loans, so long as your loan situation is in order.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”