Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dueprocess14

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:01 am

Congrats!!

Not to be a downer to the group, but thought I would mention this article, which I think is a fairly interesting take on YLS students. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03263.html

Also, this one, whose logic I kind of despise, on the cultures of Yale and Harvard as reflected in the management styles of Clinton and Obama: --LinkRemoved--

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:19 am

For planning purposes, has anyone received the ASW schedule for April 23-25? Do you know how long into the 25th it will last (I need to fly out that evening)? Anyone from last year's ASW remember?

Thanks!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:20 pm

zabagabe wrote:For planning purposes, has anyone received the ASW schedule for April 23-25? Do you know how long into the 25th it will last (I need to fly out that evening)? Anyone from last year's ASW remember?

Thanks!
Someone asked this exact question on the facebook group. If it gets answered I'll let you know.

Rawls's article seems to be more about top students in general, not something intrinsic to YLS. (not saying that's your argument--just clarifying)

anyglen

New

Post by anyglen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:48 pm

zabagabe wrote:Not to be a downer to the group, but thought I would mention this article, which I think is a fairly interesting take on YLS students. --LinkRemoved-- ... 03263.html
I wouldn't get too down about the Rawls article. I can't speak to YLS, but I'm at HLS and the description doesn't seem at all accurate. If you post on Facebook that you were sick and missed class, you'll have five offers to share notes by the time you get back from the bathroom, and given that HLS is supposedly more "competitive".... As an HLS student, I wouldn't want to miss a chance to bash YLS, but the article doesn't square all with the vibe I got visiting last year.

Rawls' article does, however, seem like the sort of thing you'd want to write if you wanted to get an article published in the WP (not that there's anything wrong with that!). "Law students bring sick classmate chicken soup, 1L claims," isn't exactly a compelling headline.

My two cents: Most law students are great folks, and I feel bad for the minority that for some reason believes that the rest of their classmates are competitive.

anyglen

New

Post by anyglen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:53 pm

zabagabe wrote:For planning purposes, has anyone received the ASW schedule for April 23-25? Do you know how long into the 25th it will last (I need to fly out that evening)? Anyone from last year's ASW remember?

Thanks!
Last year there was virtually nothing the last day... just a diversity brunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Woo hoo! I'm in! (I missed the call from Craig on Saturday and wasn't able to talk to him until this afternoon.)

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm

abenn07 wrote:Woo hoo! I'm in! (I missed the call from Craig on Saturday and wasn't able to talk to him until this afternoon.)
Congrats!!! I just got my binder today, after an acceptance about 1.5 weeks ago, so you know the timeline. :) Are you planning on going to the ASW?

carlitos

New

Post by carlitos » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there an admitted students' website beyond the stuff on the Facebook group? Thanks!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:27 pm

carlitos wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there an admitted students' website beyond the stuff on the Facebook group? Thanks!
Nope

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Not that it's any of my business, but I'm amazed that Yale doesn't have an admitted student's site. They probably don't need it but it seems like a missed opportunity.

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks, zabagabe! And thanks for answering what was going to be my first question. I will try to be patient while I wait for the binder!

I haven't decided yet about the ASW. I plan to attend Harvard's in March, so I guess I'll zip down to New Haven for a couple of days after that. (Unfortunately, that will be during Yale's spring break, so that won't accomplish much other than giving me an opportunity to tour the campus.)

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 am

iagolives wrote:Not that it's any of my business, but I'm amazed that Yale doesn't have an admitted student's site. They probably don't need it but it seems like a missed opportunity.

i was very surprised as well. they basically use the facebook page to relay any necessary information or links to things on their own website (like the online version of their binder).

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:47 pm

So quiet in here..

Anyway, has anyone else booked a hotel reservation for ASW? Or are most people staying with current students?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:54 pm

mine's booked :lol:

anybody else?

AND when is everybody coming into town? I'll be there the 22nd. We'll have to see who wants to meet up for a shot and a beer (trying to see who the social drinkers are too :D )

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:57 pm

SparkyLives wrote:mine's booked :lol:

anybody else?

AND when is everybody coming into town? I'll be there the 22nd. We'll have to see who wants to meet up for a shot and a beer (trying to see who the social drinkers are too :D )
where are you guys staying? i guess i should get on that.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:07 pm

The very classy, majestic and newly renovated New Haven Premiere Hotel and Suites.

(After SparkyLives out-dueled William Shatner at his own game on Priceline, we're staying for $75/night)

http://www.newhavensuites.com/ 2.5mi from campus with a complimentary shuttle operating 7AM - 8:30pm.

On a lighter note, the Marriott and Omni are much closer, but more expensive. Of course, staying with a student is the cheapest, but I like my own bed/space. Especially if I'm splitting a room and it's only $37.50/night.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:29 pm

thanks.

fyi - the prelim asp schedule is posted on facebook.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 am

KP429 wrote:The very classy, majestic and newly renovated New Haven Premiere Hotel and Suites.

(After SparkyLives out-dueled William Shatner at his own game on Priceline, we're staying for $75/night)

http://www.newhavensuites.com/ 2.5mi from campus with a complimentary shuttle operating 7AM - 8:30pm.

On a lighter note, the Marriott and Omni are much closer, but more expensive. Of course, staying with a student is the cheapest, but I like my own bed/space. Especially if I'm splitting a room and it's only $37.50/night.
I would recommend staying with a student. I stayed at the Premier Hotel and Suites for ASW last year and wouldn't recommend it. The rooms themselves are very nice, especially for the price. The area is not. It is desolate and difficult to get to. You will need to take a cab. People go out at night during ASW and it will be easier to join in activities if you are staying with a student. Really getting a sense of the people and starting to develop friendships is easier if you do non-official events in addition to the official ones. Having a student host makes that easier and more convenient.

The hotels that are actually walkable are:
Omni
The Study
Marriott Courtyard
Hotel Duncan (I hear this one is run-down, but I think it is relatively inexpensive and is in a good location)

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:01 pm

well, it's too late now--but I chose the hotel because I didn't feel like I would enjoy myself as much if I was crashing at someone's place; just a comfort thing for me.

Omni, Courtyard Marriott, etc. all were charging anywhere from $150-300 a night, so I pricelined the Premier suites. The shuttle ride to Yale and cab ride back will still save me a lot of money vs. paying that much a night.

A cab ride at the end of the night won't preclude me from participating in the social events after the ASW; late night drunk dials to cab companies are a sort of specialty of mine :lol:

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:23 pm

SparkyLives wrote:well, it's too late now--but I chose the hotel because I didn't feel like I would enjoy myself as much if I was crashing at someone's place; just a comfort thing for me.

Omni, Courtyard Marriott, etc. all were charging anywhere from $150-300 a night, so I pricelined the Premier suites. The shuttle ride to Yale and cab ride back will still save me a lot of money vs. paying that much a night.

A cab ride at the end of the night won't preclude me from participating in the social events after the ASW; late night drunk dials to cab companies are a sort of specialty of mine :lol:
Sorry, didn't notice that you had purchased it on Priceline. Bad skimming on my part.

Just make sure you've got cab fare (777-7777 will be the very easy number to remember) and maybe bring some snacks with you (food options are, or at least were, very limited at the hotel). :) It does have a nice set-up though -- all redone with nice beds and flat screen tvs.

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:54 am

Welcome franfair!

Try to liven up this thread, please!

masterpinky0509

New

Post by masterpinky0509 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:01 am

YLS 2012 baby!

Now let's see what kind of parties these schools throw at the ASW's, eh?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:45 am

masterpinky0509 wrote:
Now let's see what kind of parties these schools throw at the ASW's, eh?
If last year's ASW serves as any indication, you'll have a great time at the weekend's parties.

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Congratulations, franfair and masterpinky!

I have decided to go to the ASP in April (in addition to visiting in a couple of weeks with my husband). I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”