The Ohio State University 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
chicoalto0649

Silver

Re: The Ohio State University 2012

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 pm

buckeyefan3 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
beebs30xj wrote:Hi everyone! I went to OSU for undergrad and will be returning for law school in the fall.

I agree with buckeyefan3, it is pretty hard to go far in Columbus without a car. If you live relatively close to High St., you can take the #2 bus up and down High to several grocery stores, pharmacies and fast food places. The #2 runs every 15-30 minutes and isn't too bad if you don't mind the occasional smelly and/or drunk bum. There's also the #84 bus (doesn't run as often but is nicer and less crowded) to Lennox, which has a Target. Malls and anything else in the suburbs are out unless you get a friend to drive. However, it is totally possible to survive for a semester without a car.

I would also love to answer any questions about THE Ohio State University! :)

I'll take you up on your offer...

I am currently an OSU undergrad with a 3.4 gpa (URM) and taking the LSAT in June...I have generally been scoring at or above OSU's median LSAT and was just wondering from your own personal experience, or perhaps through the experiences of your peers, whether or not it is more or less difficult to get into OSU coming from their undergrad.... I am definitely aiming for higher up schools (LSAT permitting) but would be super content just to attend Moritz...your input is appreciated!

Hey! Good luck on the LSAT. I came from OSU for undergrad, took a 2 years off, and will be headed to OSU in the fall. I don't think coming from OSU for undergrad will hurt you. Especially if you are scoring at or above their medians and you're a URM. Also, don't sell OSU short. I was accepted with money to higher ranked schools including GULC, Vanderbilt, etc...and I'm still heading to OSU in the fall. Honestly, it's a great institution with great professors and for me, I was fortunate enough to get a full ride with a small stipend so it is the best bang for my buck!
Wow-o. Congrats on the $$$ for Moritz. That will probably take u a long ways in C-Bus.
*FWIW* What was it, in terms of Moritz's faculty, that sold you on OSU over the higher ranked schools?

lucyinthesky

New

Post by lucyinthesky » Sun May 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Looks like I'll be a Buckeye beginning this fall as well. I'm lookin' forward to moving to Columbus and I can't wait to meet all of you in a few months. =)

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm

lucyinthesky wrote:Looks like I'll be a Buckeye beginning this fall as well. I'm lookin' forward to moving to Columbus and I can't wait to meet all of you in a few months. =)

nice pic with Joe...I'm sure you have some interesting stories to tell from the campaign trail. Looking forward to meeting you in the fall :)

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 pm

We have a chat! Hope to see all of you there...this is what I received:

The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law invites you to participate in our on-line chat session for Admitted Law Students to be held on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 from 5:30-7:00PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). Chat sessions are forums where you can get your various questions answered by Admission and Financial Aid staff. This chat will primarily focus on the needs of admitted students such as Housing, Financial Aid, Courses, Summer Reading, Career Services, Orientation etc.

dholyghozt

New

Post by dholyghozt » Mon May 18, 2009 5:21 pm

yea too bad it's from 5:30-7:00pm

i get out of work around 5:30 and don't get home till 6:15ish

i don't know why they'd put it around commute time for a lot of people..something around 8 would have been perfect

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tommy1

New

Post by tommy1 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:29 am

Hey

so I want to live in Lantern Square Apartments and in the process of signing the rent agreement...sorta...

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the place and whether the inside is decent or not. I like everything about the place but how is it living there? Anything will be great!

THANKS

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Wed May 20, 2009 8:43 pm

worst day to get stuck in traffic, did any of you make it to the chat??? If so, how was it?

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:07 pm

randomwit wrote:worst day to get stuck in traffic, did any of you make it to the chat??? If so, how was it?
I made it. Was about 6 of us students in there + 4 OSU staff. (Some students may have come and gone... I joined near the end)

The questions that I asked:

1) When they'll send out the housing response sheets. They said June 12th will be the first batch and ~15 have replied thus far.

2) Regarding the requried counseling session to receive your loans. They said it takes 30-40 minutes and can be done online. Should do as early as possible and well before classes start.

3) Asked about the mentor program. They linked http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/programs/mentoring/index.php and said additional information about joining the program would come later in the summer

Other tidbits that I remember:
- Something about scholarship funds being exhausted but some may get freed mid-July once they have a better assessment on the class.
- They'll be sending out a recommending reading list sometime in the next few weeks. Recommended only reading 1-2 of the books.
- They talked a little about student organizations. Said most join 1-3 or so, but also said you're welcome to attend events hosted by other groups and encouraged doing so.
- I didn't know this bit... but they mentioned the law school starts a few weeks before the undergrads so it gives us the opportunity to get used to the campus before they all take over (they also mentioned the independence of the law school with its own staff, faculty, counselors, etc to keep their operation separate from the other 50k students)

I forget what else.....

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Wed May 20, 2009 10:31 pm

you don't need to remember anything else, what you remembered was very helpful! I don't know about the rest of us, but I can't wait to start school and meet everyone!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckeyefan3

New

Post by buckeyefan3 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:59 am

Yesssss...so ready! I can't wait. It's almost like that feeling when you are going from middle school to high school and you're nervous but you can't wait and you secretly feel really cool 8)

So excited to meet everyone!

And someone asked me earlier about the Moritz faculty and what I really liked about them. Honestly, they are all so friendly and I genuinely feel like they care about me. I've been emailing with one of the professors and she is super nice. I stopped by one of the Dean's offices to chat a few weeks ago and I felt so comfortable. Just really great people that I know I will enjoy spending 3 years with. Plus, they are all so stinking smart and have done such amazing things. Also, they all seem to really like each other. When I was there for an admitted student event, 5 of them were on a panel and all laughing and joking around with each other. Completely genuine and really great to see!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu May 21, 2009 11:39 am

Just accepted off the waitlist via e-mail.... so maybe seeing you all there in Fall

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:52 am

ruleser wrote:Just accepted off the waitlist via e-mail.... so maybe seeing you all there in Fall
Congrats!!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu May 21, 2009 11:54 am

opj2002 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Just accepted off the waitlist via e-mail.... so maybe seeing you all there in Fall
Congrats!!
Thanks - I'm definitely excited! I may have to make a Columbus trip now to scope out the the town/housing, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Thu May 21, 2009 6:32 pm

[quote="buckeyefan3"]Yesssss...so ready! I can't wait. It's almost like that feeling when you are going from middle school to high school and you're nervous but you can't wait and you secretly feel really cool 8)

So excited to meet everyone!

That's the feeling that I was talking about, it is such a great feeling!!! *goes away to sharpen his pencils* lol

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Thu May 21, 2009 7:09 pm

For those who got in off of the waitlist...how long did they give you to respond? ::Fingers crossed for a second round of waitlist offers::

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu May 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:For those who got in off of the waitlist...how long did they give you to respond? ::Fingers crossed for a second round of waitlist offers::
Not sure - they sent an e-mail saying I would get a packet in the mail - I think the e-mail says until around the 11th or so.

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm

i'm getting excited for osu and to meet everyone!

if anyone's interested in getting a two bedroom in the south campus gateway send me a pm and we can chat- i'm in need of a roommate! (i'm female, just graduated undergrad, pumped for columbus.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:28 am

twalamanana wrote:i'm getting excited for osu and to meet everyone!

if anyone's interested in getting a two bedroom in the south campus gateway send me a pm and we can chat- i'm in need of a roommate! (i'm female, just graduated undergrad, pumped for columbus.)
I'm definitely going to be looking for roommate(s). Ideal for me would be with two others in a three bedroom.

Did you fill out the housing survey thing?

lrynwnab

New

Post by lrynwnab » Sun May 24, 2009 11:51 am

Did anyone notice this other facebook group?
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 8910699270

Maybe we should merge.

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Sun May 24, 2009 11:32 pm

opj2002 wrote:

I'm definitely going to be looking for roommate(s). Ideal for me would be with two others in a three bedroom.

I lost my survey thing, lol....not cool at all though :( I am also in the "looking for a roommate" thing, if anyone has anything to offer, please PM me.

Also, when are you all planning to go to Columbus, maybe we could arrange our trips at the same time....

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm

randomwit wrote:
opj2002 wrote:

I lost my survey thing, lol....not cool at all though :( I am also in the "looking for a roommate" thing, if anyone has anything to offer, please PM me.

Also, when are you all planning to go to Columbus, maybe we could arrange our trips at the same time....
i would def be interested in a 3 bedroom too. thanks for the reminder to fill out the roommate survey! oh, and randomwit, i can forward you the email version of the roommate survey if you'd like/can't find it. also, i'll be in the (greater) area the second week of june onward if anyone would want company as they check out apartments, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Mon May 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Yep, I think I need that form....I cant believe I lost it! You would think that I would place a little more importance on something that could potentially decide my living arrangements come August, but no, I had to lose it....

Yeah, apartment shopping sounds pretty cool! I am down for June although I have no specific date in mind.

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 am

randomwit wrote:Yep, I think I need that form....I cant believe I lost it!
Can you send your email address? Found the email and can forward it to you.

Also, that other facebook group has a few more people, so I'll be jumping over to it. I encourage you all to join :)

randomwit

New

Post by randomwit » Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 am

opj2002 wrote:
randomwit wrote:Yep, I think I need that form....I cant believe I lost it!
Can you send your email address? Found the email and can forward it to you.

Also, that other facebook group has a few more people, so I'll be jumping over to it. I encourage you all to join :)

Thanks for the offer but I already received it from someone else on here....

Regarding that facebook group, do you think we can merge? If not, I will just join both I guess.

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:21 am

I just joined the one that's bigger and left the small one. Figured that was the best way to "merge"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”