Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Simpler Times

New

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Post by Simpler Times » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:32 pm

as for scholarships: 1. unless you've gotten a full ride somewhere else, Wisconsin is probably cheaper. 2. if you need money ask them. if they say no and you really need money, threaten to walk. it's just that simple.

Plenty of people have gotten scholarships, but what you guys have to realize is that more than anything Wisconsin is a charitable school for dipping as low into the LSATs as it does. The quality of education we're going to be receiving is such that we probably should all have needed 165+s to get in. Once you consider that, not getting money (but getting instate tuition) at 166 seems to make a lot more sense. Of course, everyone around the median isn't going to get shit for financial aid, but I doubt someone with a 162 would get anything from a comparable school such as UIUC or UMN.

The people who are worth money and are insistent about money will get money, but more than anything we should all just be glad to get into such a good institution.

shiloh26

New

Post by shiloh26 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Wow, I guess my post touched a nerve. When it comes down to it, I was very disappointed that I didn't get money from UW given my hard numbers, but at the same time, they are subsidizing the hell out of everyone's tuition so I wouldn't say I was surprised. I have a friend with almost the exact same numbers (165/3.9) who was tossed a ton of money from Illinois (in-state for him), so to get a big, fat 0 from UW hurt a little.

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:54 pm

shiloh26 wrote:Wow, I guess my post touched a nerve. When it comes down to it, I was very disappointed that I didn't get money from UW given my hard numbers, but at the same time, they are subsidizing the hell out of everyone's tuition so I wouldn't say I was surprised. I have a friend with almost the exact same numbers (165/3.9) who was tossed a ton of money from Illinois (in-state for him), so to get a big, fat 0 from UW hurt a little.
resident tuition at UIUC is still significantly more than at UW Madison. Of course it depends upon how much UIUC tossed your friend, but I feel like your friend should be busy thanking his lucky stars he got into UIUC rather than complaining about the size of his scholarship

shiloh26

New

Post by shiloh26 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:19 pm

resident tuition at UIUC is still significantly more than at UW Madison. Of course it depends upon how much UIUC tossed your friend, but I feel like your friend should be busy thanking his lucky stars he got into UIUC rather than complaining about the size of his scholarship
I should have been more clear... his scholarship made it cheaper to attend UIUC than for me to attend UW with no scholarship and we had the same numbers, and no significant soft factors for either of us, so yes it was the amount that he got that surprised me after I'd recieved nothing from UW. And he certainly never complained about anything, I don't know where you got that, it was me complaining, if you want to call it that. Funny story, he chose to go to ND anyway.

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:13 pm

your friend was family friends with Blagojevich, c/d

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Anyone else share my feeling re: 1Ls lost at sea? Heck, we don't even know tuition yet!

Yojimbo

New

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:43 pm

I'm not really sure why people are worrying about these little things. Chill out, you have the next three years to freak you and your fellow classmates out. There is plenty of time left before classes start and tuition isn't going to jump more than 5-8% most likely. Next thing you guys will be freaking out about is how the number of firms at OCI have dropped significantly 8)

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Yojimbo wrote:I'm not really sure why people are worrying about these little things. Chill out, you have the next three years to freak you and your fellow classmates out. There is plenty of time left before classes start and tuition isn't going to jump more than 5-8% most likely. Next thing you guys will be freaking out about is how the number of firms at OCI have dropped significantly 8)
we should be thanking our lucky stars that at least one firm came to OCI, right Simpler Times? hah.

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:53 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:we should be thanking our lucky stars that at least one firm came to OCI, right Simpler Times? hah.
I've already started talking to smaller local firms about 1L internship opportunities. In this market I don't expect anything to come to me, and I'm perfectly willing to do the extra leg work not to end up in a bread line.

e: just like I didn't rely on any magic scholarship fairies I'm not going to rely on any magic employment fairies. Foley and Lardner is going to hire our valedictorian and the rest of us are going to have to sweat blood to get paralegal jobs. Life goes on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NightPutting

New

Post by NightPutting » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:33 pm

BobDole34 wrote:Anyone else share my feeling re: 1Ls lost at sea? Heck, we don't even know tuition yet!
That WashU handbook was certainly pretty thorough, but in my view there are plenty of comparable resources available on the UW website, including Mike Hall's guide to housing and the "Read This First!" handbook (LinkRemoved). Plus, any specific questions I had were answered quickly and thoroughly by someone in the admissions office.

And don't we know tuition already? (See here)

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Did anyone else just get a packet of information on registering and everything?

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Simpler Times wrote:Did anyone else just get a packet of information on registering and everything?
yeah. gonna try and get through "READ THIS FIRST" today.

NightPutting

New

Post by NightPutting » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Schedules and section assignments e-mailed this morning!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bongothebunny

New

Post by bongothebunny » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:30 pm

NightPutting wrote:Schedules and section assignments e-mailed this morning!
Aww, I haven't gotten mine! Did they send it to your new Wisc email or the email you used when you applied? I've checked both... perhaps they're still working on sending them.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Nothing for me yet.

NightPutting

New

Post by NightPutting » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 pm

bongothebunny wrote:
NightPutting wrote:Schedules and section assignments e-mailed this morning!
Aww, I haven't gotten mine! Did they send it to your new Wisc email or the email you used when you applied? I've checked both... perhaps they're still working on sending them.
They sent it to my wisc.edu e-mail, but I had told them earlier to use that as my exclusive e-mail address. So, I'm not sure which method they're using to send them. I haven't heard from anyone else that also got a schedule assignment -- sort of strange.

lmurp3

New

Post by lmurp3 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 pm

I would love to attend UW next fall and I was wondering why you all chose UW? Was it your main choice? Did you receive scholarship money? Were your LSATs/GPAs really competitive? Also, around what time did you apply/find out you got in? Thanks and any other helpful information about UW would be great! I thought the law school was really nice and Madison is a great place to live!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:29 pm

There are so many other threads on this. I would encourage you to do 3 things:

1. Search on TLS the hundreds of threads mentioning UW

2. Check lawschoolnumbers.com to see competitive numbers. People here vary. Some were low 160s high GPA. Others were low GPA mid to high 160s LSAT. And one was very high GPA, low LSAT.

3. Most people hear after the New Years and during the spring.

pshak56

New

Post by pshak56 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:41 pm

hey guys,
I have a few questions

1-How do we activate our school email accounts. are they contingent on us paying our fees?

2-Financial Aid we take out is directly deducted from our tuition right? Can we calibrate out Gradplus loans to cover the remaining portion of our unpaid tuition bill beforehand, or do i have to wait until the updated tuition figures to come out.

3- Is the low number of Chicago biglaw jobs available to Wisconsin kids indicative of the school's reach or the relative attractiveness of not having to take the Wisconsin bar?

4-How big is hockey in Madison!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:41 pm

BobDole34 wrote:There are so many other threads on this. I would encourage you to do 3 things:

1. Search on TLS the hundreds of threads mentioning UW

2. Check lawschoolnumbers.com to see competitive numbers. People here vary. Some were low 160s high GPA. Others were low GPA mid to high 160s LSAT. And one was very high GPA, low LSAT.

3. Most people hear after the New Years and during the spring.
Hell, some (read: one) of us were mid/upper 150s and high GPA. :wink:

For me, a few things made me choose UW over higher ranked schools--
1) Madison is an awesome city...there's really no other town like it, and it's a great place to live
2) The law school is excellent; they're known for having some of the best teachers in the country
3) Bar privilege-if you want to practice in WI and go to UW or Marquette, you don't have to take the bar exam
4) Cost. I was waitlisted, admitted, and then deferred for a year so I could get in-state tuition. Wisconsin is an absolute bargain...I should get out of law school with under $100k of debt, and that's with no scholarship.

Hopefully that helps...feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Fwiw, I applied mid-November.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:48 pm

In response to the Chicago/hockey questions. I think Wisconsin does as well as any other tier 1, non t14/Illinois/ND school in the area. There's a lot of self-selection with students wanting to stay in-state, and you'll get some "top" students in Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and coastal firms. So I'm not sure I buy the premise that it's a low amount all things considered.

As for hockey: it's huge. Get tickets.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawrunner313

New

Post by lawrunner313 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:08 pm

Hey guys, I got my schedule emailed to me yesterday, too. I heard from someone else that they only got through half of the list yesterday, so my guess would be that they will send it out today to the rest of you!

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:29 pm

I got my section too

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:38 pm

got career services handbook from UW today. looks pretty thick. interesting stuff.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:47 pm

I may be deferring, but I just wanted to throw this out there--Wisconsin Law students can drink like none other. This really isn't a bad thing, IMO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”