Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
braun223

New

Re: Wisconsin-Madison 2012!!!

Post by braun223 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:09 am

I was recently looking at LSN and did not see many scholarship offers. Does anyone know whether UW is pretty generous or not? Also, it looked like they didn't award scholarships until the end of March. Anyone have anymore info about that too?

j99usa

New

Post by j99usa » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:57 pm

braun223 wrote:I was recently looking at LSN and did not see many scholarship offers. Does anyone know whether UW is pretty generous or not? Also, it looked like they didn't award scholarships until the end of March. Anyone have anymore info about that too?
They award late.

I am SO freaking excited about the prospect of going here. My app is pending Dec. LSAT score release. Wish me luck :)

Jmames

New

Post by Jmames » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:04 pm

I have a snowball's chance of hell getting in (157, 3.35) but I sent it in anyway, hoping they'll give some pity points since I just graduated from there a couple days ago ;)

I did get the scholarship letter last week--I'm assuming everyone gets those.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Yeah, all got the scholly e-mail. Because I think my top choice just rejected me, Wisconsin looks even better than it already did.

lawgawker

New

Post by lawgawker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Just got rejected from MN so sweating Wisco now. It's okay, I'm a Badger at heart (undergrad degree from there) and I could never have donned the maroon and gold. :D

So the expectation is to start hearing from UW in earnest beginning Jan 11 or so? I went complete in early-mid Nov.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:12 pm

lawgawker wrote:Just got rejected from MN so sweating Wisco now. It's okay, I'm a Badger at heart (undergrad degree from there) and I could never have donned the maroon and gold. :D

So the expectation is to start hearing from UW in earnest beginning Jan 11 or so? I went complete in early-mid Nov.
I'm expecting a No from MN, so I'm looking to the other Mid-west schools now, too, including Madison. I don't think we'll hear until the 12th or so... as the 11th is a Sunday. But hopefully it's soon, regardless of the exact day.

robi0468

New

Post by robi0468 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Did anyone have a long wait before their application was complete ? I submitted mine on 12/2 and received the scholarship e-mail a few days later, but haven't heard anything since. Hmm.

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Yeah I submitted my app Sept 1st and it took like 2 months for me to be complete

robi0468

New

Post by robi0468 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 pm

nvoight911 wrote:Yeah I submitted my app Sept 1st and it took like 2 months for me to be complete
Okay, thanks! Good to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:59 am

Last edited by MidwestJosh on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:28 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:Hi everyone! How's the wait going?

*steps in to join*
Welcome, Josh! The wait... it blows! Haha, but perhaps there's more strength in waiting in numbers?

...nah, still sucks.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:38 pm

I've been thinking about putting an application in for awhile now, I should prolly suck it up and do it... could someone evaluate my chances though, as they give a huge GPA and LSAT range for 25/75 percentiles....

I have a 161/3.61 with strong LORs and strong softs, non-URM, not a wisconsin resident, work in DC law firm for year+, study abroad at Oxford, Phi Beta Kappa, all that soft "stuff."

Also, what are the career prospects like, where do students tend to find jobs? It's a top ranked school, but what cities are part of their primary recruiting region?

Thanks to all. Good luck.

Please PM me if you have insight that you don't want to reply to thread with.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:56 pm

As far as I know, Wisconsin places grads fairly well in the big mid-west markets, including the really big one: Chicago. I think they have a good rep. in the rest of the region, perhaps even farther, though I cannot say for sure. For residents it's especially good (low in-state tuition) but if you stay in the state after you graduate, you can practice without having to take the bar. That's incentive!

I would think your numbers make you favorable, but not a lock, for admission. UW-M seems to really enjoy 161+ LSATs. Your softs will certainly help as well, as any kind of diversity is looked upon quite favorably. For mid-westerners looking to not stray far but still have good options, UW-M is one of the best options, perhaps behind only Minnesota. (Although there is apparently more to Iowa than meets the eye.) I've heard that UIUC places better in Chicago, but my guess is that it's on par with Madison, with the best chances going, as expected, to those in the top of the class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:57 pm

I'm hoping for a miracle when I get up to school on Friday and open my mailbox... maybe, just maybe they've somehow accepted me...

If not, then it's going to be a loooooooooong month or so until I hear back from them (hopefully with some good news)

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:01 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:I'm hoping for a miracle when I get up to school on Friday and open my mailbox... maybe, just maybe they've somehow accepted me...

If not, then it's going to be a loooooooooong month or so until I hear back from them (hopefully with some good news)
If you promise to reciprocate, I'll send good vibes your way. We both have Madison in our sights, and it'd be great if we both got some good news.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:04 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:I'm hoping for a miracle when I get up to school on Friday and open my mailbox... maybe, just maybe they've somehow accepted me...

If you promise to reciprocate, I'll send good vibes your way. We both have Madison in our sights, and it'd be great if we both got some good news.
Absolutely. Here's to hoping we both get in (and a nice bottle of Belgian Trappist beer to boot!).

Hopefully the fact that I didn't go there for undergrad doesn't deter them. They were the school I wanted to attend most, but money was a huge issue then. Now, I'm screwed wherever I go, so I can go to my top choice if I somehow get in!
Last edited by coolkatz321 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:04 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:As far as I know, Wisconsin places grads fairly well in the big mid-west markets, including the really big one: Chicago. I think they have a good rep. in the rest of the region, perhaps even farther, though I cannot say for sure. For residents it's especially good (low in-state tuition) but if you stay in the state after you graduate, you can practice without having to take the bar. That's incentive!

I would think your numbers make you favorable, but not a lock, for admission. UW-M seems to really enjoy 161+ LSATs. Your softs will certainly help as well, as any kind of diversity is looked upon quite favorably. For mid-westerners looking to not stray far but still have good options, UW-M is one of the best options, perhaps behind only Minnesota. (Although there is apparently more to Iowa than meets the eye.) I've heard that UIUC places better in Chicago, but my guess is that it's on par with Madison, with the best chances going, as expected, to those in the top of the class.
Thanks very much. I really appreciate the info. I am going to apply! I keep hearing more and more good things about the school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:As far as I know, Wisconsin places grads fairly well in the big mid-west markets, including the really big one: Chicago. I think they have a good rep. in the rest of the region, perhaps even farther, though I cannot say for sure. For residents it's especially good (low in-state tuition) but if you stay in the state after you graduate, you can practice without having to take the bar. That's incentive!

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the info. I am going to apply! I keep hearing more and more good things about the school.

My understanding is that UIUC places better in Chicago than Madison. Though Madison does not lag far behind...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:04 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:

My understanding is that UIUC places better in Chicago than Madison. Though Madison does not lag far behind...
I dunno if I have the LSAT for UIUC.... UW seems to give me a better shot at acceptance.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:26 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:

Yeah, I have heard that, too. Just do better at Madison, ha.

Yojimbo

New

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:33 pm

With my rejection from gopherland firmly in hand, I am even more entrenched in my goal to attend the UW. I'm surprised with the long drought of decisions. Madison must have some different admissions processes than other schools, because they are way behind similarly ranked publics and privates. It doesn't help that the lease signing season starts horribly early in Madison and having no option but to wait until spring/summer to sign a lease here leaves fewer options for those lucky to attend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Archon

New

Post by Archon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:14 am

How are we going to spend our time over these very long next two weeks?

kollegekid

New

Post by kollegekid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:40 pm

I wait as well, hope we all hear back soon!!! I hate the fact that when I get to my mailbox there will be all this propaganda from other schools and my heart will skip numerous beats thinking "Madison". UGHGHGHGHGH

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:14 pm

kollegekid wrote:I wait as well, hope we all hear back soon!!! I hate the fact that when I get to my mailbox there will be all this propaganda from other schools and my heart will skip numerous beats thinking "Madison". UGHGHGHGHGH
I was up at school this past weekend... since I live in an on-campus apartment, the community building has been on holiday hours. Hence, the mail hadn't been delivered for the past 2 weeks. Everything in my mailbox was things I already knew... it killed me.

sydney

New

Post by sydney » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:39 pm

Got back to school and checked the mail to find....a UW-Madison acceptance letter. Sweet. It was dated a few days before Christmas. Good luck to all of you still waiting...I'm still in the same boat with other schools. Also, anyone from up that way want to fill me in on just how great Madison is? I've heard only good things but have never been there myself. Thanks and good luck again!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”