Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jpaul09

New

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by jpaul09 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Whoever mentioned the Harlem Fairway (sorry, too lazy to look back right now) -- are the prices fairly better than the little markets around campus, etc? And it IS possible to walk to the grocery store and grab the 1 train back, right?

Also, I know Columbia doesn't provide cookware/dishes in the apts, but does anyone know if they include microwaves?

P.S. -- I haven't heard anyone mention baking on here, but I hope you people like cake/brownies/cookies, etc., because when I'm stressed (or bored) I tend to bake a lot of really crazy, fattening foods and then try to pawn them off on people so I don't eat them all myself.

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Wed May 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Unemployed wrote:Unless you are talking about desserty sweet white-brown. Sauternes age very well (apparently it can last more than 100+ years :shock:)
Sounds like we have a sophisticate on our hands... I don't have anything quite that special (or pricey). My current stash includes Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Shiraz, and Cabernet Sauvignon - just the basics, really. (My liquor collection's a little more extensive). What we should really do in the fall is throw a tasting party where everyone brings a bottle or two of something unusual and shares it around. Then the more boring wines can act as backup for when everyone's too drunk to appreciate a good wine anyway.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed May 20, 2009 7:10 pm

jpaul09 wrote: P.S. -- I haven't heard anyone mention baking on here, but I hope you people like cake/brownies/cookies, etc., because when I'm stressed (or bored) I tend to bake a lot of really crazy, fattening foods and then try to pawn them off on people so I don't eat them all myself.
I do that too!!! And then I never want to eat them myself :?

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:32 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:I do that too!!! And then I never want to eat them myself :?
Oh, good! I loved it in college when I lived above guys who had stellar metabolisms and ate like 2 dozen cookies without question in one sitting. Hopefully there will be some of those.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Wed May 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi. Send your food to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:03 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Whoever mentioned the Harlem Fairway (sorry, too lazy to look back right now) -- are the prices fairly better than the little markets around campus, etc? And it IS possible to walk to the grocery store and grab the 1 train back, right?

Also, I know Columbia doesn't provide cookware/dishes in the apts, but does anyone know if they include microwaves?

P.S. -- I haven't heard anyone mention baking on here, but I hope you people like cake/brownies/cookies, etc., because when I'm stressed (or bored) I tend to bake a lot of really crazy, fattening foods and then try to pawn them off on people so I don't eat them all myself.
Yeah it's a lot cheaper actually. And the food's better. It's basically a whole foods for half the price.

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Wed May 20, 2009 8:14 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
jpaul09 wrote: P.S. -- I haven't heard anyone mention baking on here, but I hope you people like cake/brownies/cookies, etc., because when I'm stressed (or bored) I tend to bake a lot of really crazy, fattening foods and then try to pawn them off on people so I don't eat them all myself.
I think you two are going to have a lot of friends at Columbia. :)

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 pm

I can cook really good Jew food... I could do Jew food week!

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:15 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
I'll take them off your hands.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu May 21, 2009 12:40 am

Antipodean wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
I'm bringing all my baking pans...assuming apartments have ovens??

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 am

"A stove and refrigerator are provided in all units." -- That's what the housing Web site says. So I would think stove means oven....but I guess I have to buy a new microwave and lug it to NYC. Fun :)

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Thu May 21, 2009 10:04 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:
jmat wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:
jmat wrote:I'm also in to cooking and have a lot of space at my apartment for cooking, drinking, studying and whatnot. Ideally it'd be nice to get a group of people together and take turns cooking once a week (it'd be both cheap and fun).
Is your place in NYC? I am definitely down to do weekly 1L dinners/whatever else we can think of.
It is, it's on the east side, but pretty easy to get to (and cheap cabs if people are coming in groups). I would definitely be up for this sort of thing once the year starts up. I have to say, I really like how community-oriented and friendly at least the TLS Columbia folks seem to be.

PS. As a totally arbitrary question, which sounds better as a post-work/pre-school activity, hiking in Peru or cross-country roadtrip?
Depends how much time you have. I can't imagine you could spend more than 2 weeks bumming around Peru (it's a great place though). You could string out a road trip a lot longer.

If you have a relatively short amount of time, do Peru. If you have more time, I'd roadtrip.
I totally disagree with this comment. I spent 3 weeks in Peru and managed to only get to the Highlands. I missed the Amazon jungle, missed the coast, missed the desert, didn't see any of Lima except the airport. You could easily spend 2 months in Peru - in terms of density of things to see and do in such a small area, I would argue that no other single country compares.

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Thu May 21, 2009 10:31 am

sbalive wrote:I totally disagree with this comment. I spent 3 weeks in Peru and managed to only get to the Highlands. I missed the Amazon jungle, missed the coast, missed the desert, didn't see any of Lima except the airport. You could easily spend 2 months in Peru - in terms of density of things to see and do in such a small area, I would argue that no other single country compares.
I haven't been to Peru, but I did grow up in New Zealand, which practically defines "density of things to see and do" and "small area". Unfortunately, it's still quite far from the US, even if airfares have plummeted recently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 10:41 am

sbalive wrote:I totally disagree with this comment. I spent 3 weeks in Peru and managed to only get to the Highlands. I missed the Amazon jungle, missed the coast, missed the desert, didn't see any of Lima except the airport. You could easily spend 2 months in Peru - in terms of density of things to see and do in such a small area, I would argue that no other single country compares.
Yeah, that was my feeling while reading through travel guides. Though this is kind of a moot point, because I will be lucky to have two weeks vacation. I am still working for a law firm, in fact the work I do is so enjoyable that I might actually stay on part time during school (though I am starting to question my sanity in that regard). Either way, I think the thing that interested me about Peru is that is has one of the most diverse climates in the world. You can see like four or five different environments in one small country.

Oh and to Antipodean, I have been dreaming of having time to travel to New Zealand, but it's the kind of trip you need a whole lot of time for. Maybe post bar exam I will head out to there and Australia. I also kind of want to get to Japan at some point and catch a baseball game there. Ugh, why must travel be so expensive.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:
Antipodean wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
nomnomnomnomnom

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:
Antipodean wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
That's great. 'Cuz I'm definitely not fat enough already...

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:56 am

thrillhouse wrote:
That's great. 'Cuz I'm definitely not fat enough already...
We'll do TLS runs between fatty meals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Oh man, so far law schools sounds like nothing but eating and drinking, it's going to be like the Fall of Rome the whole time. I suppose it's unlikely that anyone is going to admit it, but does anyone plan on being really competitive or gunnerish? I really want to succeed, but I feel like the best way to do really well is to work collaboratively and get a really good group of minds with different strengths working together on this stuff.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:53 pm

There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Thu May 21, 2009 12:56 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.
True story, do you know what you want to do out of law school or are you going to wait and see?

indecisive09

New

Post by indecisive09 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:59 pm

speaking of wine and food, anybody in the Los Angeles area in the next couple of weeks interested in doing a meet, eat, drink, and greet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:00 pm

jmat wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:There's really no need to be gunnerish since we'll all have CLS degrees in three years.
True story, do you know what you want to do out of law school or are you going to wait and see?
I'll probably do biglaw for a few years to make some money, then I'd like to do something with labor law. How about you?

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 pm

jmat wrote: I suppose it's unlikely that anyone is going to admit it, but does anyone plan on being really competitive or gunnerish?
I believe it's possible to be competitive (with yourself) without being gunnerish :D. I would like to do well, according to my own standards...

indecisive09

New

Post by indecisive09 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 pm

and does anybody know of a good storage- shipping option for those of moving to NYC not by ground transport?

i would like to store my stuff for June and July and have it shipped from Los Angeles directly to my apt at CLS in August .. any companies that do that?

jfab202

New

Post by jfab202 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:07 pm

indecisive09 wrote:speaking of wine and food, anybody in the Los Angeles area in the next couple of weeks interested in doing a meet, eat, drink, and greet?
I'm in LA. If we can get a group going for this, I'd be interested.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”