Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
meesawoosa

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by meesawoosa » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:57 pm

i remember last spring tstock put me in touch with a bunch of HLS students/alums who had chosen HLS over YLS... YLS did the same for me but vice versa (students/alums who chose YLS over HLS)... it was incredibly helpful and I highly recommend using their offer of contacts to anyone who is currently in a dilemma of sorts.

kalessebo

New

Post by kalessebo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 am

joshikousei wrote: stanford already did its due diligence and had a current student (with similar background) reach out. it's doing a good job. same for h too, the impersonal prof letters were a nice touch.
I don't think Harvard's communication has been impersonal at all. I got the standard e-mail from a professor - whose interests generally align with mine - saying, basically, let me know if you have any questions or if I can help at all with your decision (which led to a great back and forth almost immediately, by the way), but I also got a very personal note from a professor in my subfield (which I made clear in my app) arguing (yes, arguing) on HLS's behalf - he even quoted from a a paper I wrote to further his point! I got into Stanford almost a month ago and have gotten nothing but a general e-mail from Dean Kramer. So my point, I guess, is that I think Harvard wins between the two).

Last thing - I just had a long chat with a Yale prof who has taught at Harvard and who basically said it is a coin flip between H and Y for a variety of very specific, personal reasons, even though I'm interested in becoming a professor. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to share the details via PM.

* Edited To remove the prof's name.
Last edited by kalessebo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

constellationx

New

Post by constellationx » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:46 am

kalessebo, I'd love to hear what he had to say.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:49 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackieTreehorn

New

Post by JackieTreehorn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:02 am

kalessebo wrote:Last thing - I just had a long chat with a Yale prof who basically said it is a coin flip between H and Y for a variety of very specific, personal reasons, even though I'm interested in becoming a professor. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to share the details via PM (or on the forum if enough people are interested).
Please share!
Last edited by JackieTreehorn on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Im interested.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 pm

Interested, kalessebo.

PM plz!

totalidiot

New

Post by totalidiot » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:26 am

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask: does it matter what our grades are this semester? I have a 4.0 currently, but I'm thinking that I might just take a B in one class this semester (senioritis, along with scorn for said particular class), or I might just audit it. Either way, is this going to matter? Last semester I took a W in a class because I hated it so much, so I thought this might make a (comparatively) lackluster performance this semester stand out as sending out a red flag.....should this be a concern?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:24 pm

totalidiot wrote:Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask: does it matter what our grades are this semester? I have a 4.0 currently, but I'm thinking that I might just take a B in one class this semester (senioritis, along with scorn for said particular class), or I might just audit it. Either way, is this going to matter? Last semester I took a W in a class because I hated it so much, so I thought this might make a (comparatively) lackluster performance this semester stand out as sending out a red flag.....should this be a concern?
Lol

You'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:21 pm

uh oh, does this mean i'm potentially going to school with 500 kids who have never gotten a B before?? ahh i need some slackers (by comparison) on this thread!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Pumpkin wrote:uh oh, does this mean i'm potentially going to school with 500 kids who have never gotten a B before?? ahh i need some slackers (by comparison) on this thread!

That was my initial thought as well.

I got a 2.8 a few semesters ago :D

magnumxlv

New

Post by magnumxlv » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:01 am

I want to be part of this elite thread.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:11 am

K,

I'd love to hear the prof's thoughts, because I'm interested in academia as well (not that I currently have the option of Yale).

PM me when you get a chance. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:11 pm

Does Harvard check up on anyone else? I was in my undergrads student paper for getting into Harvard, and a 2L contacted me about the article. And I live nowhere near Mass.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:47 pm

conn09 wrote:Does Harvard check up on anyone else? I was in my undergrads student paper for getting into Harvard, and a 2L contacted me about the article. And I live nowhere near Mass.
wtf...no one wrote an article about me! :(

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Me neither, Objection. Don't feel badly. Besides, I don't think it'd be that great. I still feel awkward when people bring it up in conversation that I got into Harvard. I guess, deep down inside, I'm a shy guy after all. haha

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:10 pm

iagolives wrote:Me neither, Objection. Don't feel badly. Besides, I don't think it'd be that great. I still feel awkward when people bring it up in conversation that I got into Harvard. I guess, deep down inside, I'm a shy guy after all. haha
TCR. I'll mention I'm going to law school. If they ask where, I'll say I'm still deciding. It's only if they ask where I'm deciding between that I'll tell them. And usually it comes out in some awkward mumble/whisper thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pfflyer28

New

Post by pfflyer28 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Objection wrote:
iagolives wrote:Me neither, Objection. Don't feel badly. Besides, I don't think it'd be that great. I still feel awkward when people bring it up in conversation that I got into Harvard. I guess, deep down inside, I'm a shy guy after all. haha
TCR. I'll mention I'm going to law school. If they ask where, I'll say I'm still deciding. It's only if they ask where I'm deciding between that I'll tell them. And usually it comes out in some awkward mumble/whisper thing.

ya, it kind of stinks. Can't even wear a Harvard shirt or anything because you'd feel like a douche. It's really nice for people to be happy for you, but I agree that I'm having the same problem. Also when you say you are still deciding and then give one of your options as Harvard people always respond with "WHAT IS THERE TO DECIDE!?!??!?!?!?!"

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:26 pm

I will admit to dropping the H-bomb unsolicited once.

This girl would not shut up about Columbia this and Columbia that and oh Columbia loves her and its an amazing school and how amazing she feels to be going there and how hard she worked and how Columbia recruited her through Facebook (wtf?). She would just not stfu. No one cared. No one asked her.

So I'm like, "I applied to Columbia, but I withdrew because I got into Harvard."

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Objection wrote:
conn09 wrote:Does Harvard check up on anyone else? I was in my undergrads student paper for getting into Harvard, and a 2L contacted me about the article. And I live nowhere near Mass.
wtf...no one wrote an article about me! :(

I go to a small school. I'm only the 2nd to get in to Harvard in at least the last 30 years. My entire cycle was me being the 1st to get in, or the 1st to get in to a school in the last 10 years w/ the exception being GW.

Sunshine2

New

Post by Sunshine2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:31 am

Hey guys, is there another forum just for the harvard asws?? If not, is anyone interested in sharing a place for this upcoming asw?? I wanted to stay with a student, but haven't heard a thing back from the school on that. Is that normal? Think it would help if I called them tomorrow??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 am

Haha objection, that's awesome. Totally ruined her.

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:45 am

Objection wrote:
haha both tcr

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:54 am

sunshine--some people in the fb group have heard about staying with a student. You might want to give them a call.

Shadyb

New

Post by Shadyb » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:53 am

drylo wrote:
Objection wrote:
haha both tcr
I agree. I'm actually a 1L in Canada (decided to come back to the states). I got into HLS in the middle of a torts class, and my small group started clapping. So EVERYONE knows. People I've never even met ask for my notes and for help on the material. Others blatantly compete with me on grades. They think I must be a legal genius because I got in. But NO, I just did well on the LSAT! It's really embarassing and awkward. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”