Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
heyguys

Bronze

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by heyguys » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 am

sluggo wrote:3 of the 4 profs in section 4's fall line-up were SCOTUS clerks. That's not even considering the star of the team, Fried, who we get in the spring.

/endbrag

P.S. One of our profs, Sargentich--call him Sarge-- "looks increasingly like Santa Claus each year."

This is going to be fun :)
God, you HLS folks are such prestige whores :)

Have fun guys! This post is my contribution to having this thread make it to 100 pages.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Dude you guys...I feel really stupid...but like, should I have heard of these professors before? Also last night I tried to explain to my mom what "torts" meant and I realized I didn't really know. It turns out I don't even know what the 1st Amendment does...I guess I don't know anything about law! All you section 4 kids are lucky that you'll have me to be there on the bottom of the curve :)

bustedup

New

Post by bustedup » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Don't worry Laura, no knowledge is assumed on day 1. You're going to be fine. I don't know any of this stuff, either. Also, I'm not doing any "prep work" this summer unless you count previewing the catalog of New England breweries. Don't stress it, we're not at a disadvantage 8)

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 pm

laurathenerd wrote:Dude you guys...I feel really stupid...but like, should I have heard of these professors before? Also last night I tried to explain to my mom what "torts" meant and I realized I didn't really know. It turns out I don't even know what the 1st Amendment does...I guess I don't know anything about law! All you section 4 kids are lucky that you'll have me to be there on the bottom of the curve :)
Torts are just desserts.

(I'm copyrighting that.)

fighting amish

New

Post by fighting amish » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Hey all, what is the story with reading groups? How/when do we sign up for them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

best username

New

Post by best username » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:38 pm

right there with you guys...don't know anything about law...which leads me to my next question...

did anyone respond (not sarcastically) about what you all mean by "supplements"? I even have included on my book list, "supplement if available"...but how do I know what I'm looking for? I am buying my books online, but not sure how to search for this supplement / if i am buying the right thing...?

thanks in advance for anyone's help.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 pm

Busted,

Has your research yielded any promising leads? I know of the Harpoon and Sam Adams breweries, but I'm sure there are many others.

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Sorry about the sarcasm. I would have given a serious answer if I'd had any relevant knowledge.

bustedup

New

Post by bustedup » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 pm

sluggo wrote:Busted,

Has your research yielded any promising leads? I know of the Harpoon and Sam Adams breweries, but I'm sure there are many others.
Current fav: Smutty Nose Brewery out of N.H. The Old Brown Dog Ale is frickin' great.

Red Hook is well known nationally, they're also out of N.H. and put out some good stuff.

Yeungling (sp?) is America's oldest brewery, popular locally/regionally, and a good all-around choice.

Naragansett (sp again) tallboys are very...economical.

I haven't found a decent place to buy beer around here yet. It seems like you just have to pay 8-9 bucks for a six pack of bottles (Coors Lite and Budweiser will run more like 7).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 pm

laurathenerd wrote:Dude you guys...I feel really stupid...but like, should I have heard of these professors before? Also last night I tried to explain to my mom what "torts" meant and I realized I didn't really know. It turns out I don't even know what the 1st Amendment does...I guess I don't know anything about law! All you section 4 kids are lucky that you'll have me to be there on the bottom of the curve :)
Don't worry, Laura. That's the advantage of going to law school in the Internet age. When in doubt, Google.

bustedup

New

Post by bustedup » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 pm

best username wrote:right there with you guys...don't know anything about law...which leads me to my next question...

did anyone respond (not sarcastically) about what you all mean by "supplements"? I even have included on my book list, "supplement if available"...but how do I know what I'm looking for? I am buying my books online, but not sure how to search for this supplement / if i am buying the right thing...?

thanks in advance for anyone's help.
I'm just going to buy the required books before the first day. I'm assuming the classes where supplements will be helpful will make themselves known. If none do, then why not save yourself the money?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:20 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Color coded section schedule for section 1ers. Shut up, I know it's dorky. But I like colors.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Objection wrote:http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/6416/section1schedule.xls

Color coded section schedule for section 1ers. Shut up, I know it's dorky. But I like colors.
Where's your faculty leader meeting?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:

Where's your faculty leader meeting?
I'm 84.3% certain that the faculty leader meeting is either a) a one time thing or b) optional. I'd be shocked if it weren't one of those two things.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:15 pm

While I appreciate the vivid colors (being somewhat colorblind), all that color makes me nervous. I think google calendar's schedule looks much nicer. (Not that I've done that... ;))

Also, about the whole supplement thing (at the risk of being scolded again for bringing it up. you know who you are...), all I meant by that was which study aids, if any, you all were planning on using. If I jumped the gun and made people nervous/overly agitated (as I've been hearing rumors I have), I'm sorry. Curiosity quite often gets the better of this cool cat... 8)

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:20 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Torts are just desserts.

(I'm copyrighting that.)
That's Chapter 12.... :)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:22 pm

iagolives wrote:

While I appreciate the vivid colors (being somewhat colorblind), all that color makes me nervous. I think google calendar's schedule looks much nicer. (Not that I've done that... ;))

Also, about the whole supplement thing (at the risk of being scolded again for bringing it up. you know who you are...), all I meant by that was which study aids, if any, you all were planning on using. If I jumped the gun and made people nervous/overly agitated (as I've been hearing rumors I have), I'm sorry. Curiosity quite often gets the better of this cool cat... 8)
Eh, to each their own. I like colors. I guess I learn visually like that? I don't know.

As for supplements, here is my book list including supplements:

Contracts

Modern law of contracts
Selected source material

E&E
Chirelstein

CivPro

Cases & Materials
2008 supplement
Buffalo Creek Disaster

Glannon E&E
High court summaries keyed to our book

LegReg
???

Property

Cases and Materials
Gilbert

Books in italics are books not on the required list.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 pm

In "My Schedule" in MyPlan, the following is listed for the faculty leader meeting:

09/03/2009-12/17/2009 Course Thursday 05:00PM - 07:00PM, Room to be Announced
Credits: 0.00

If it's no credits, I doubt they'll make it that big of a deal. I am sort of thinking that it may be office hours your section leader has reserved just for people in his section, or something along those lines.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Asked my 1L contact about it:

That's just a dedicated time for section events or meetings throughout the semester. You will probably use it the first week, but not incredibly often after that.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Objection wrote:Asked my 1L contact about it:

That's just a dedicated time for section events or meetings throughout the semester. You will probably use it the first week, but not incredibly often after that.
Lol, thanks for clearing that up for us. Also, thank Deep Throat for us; he/she proves again to be very helpful!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:15 pm

Couple things:

Section 1 tentative exam schedule:

CivPro - 12/9, in class, 9-12
LegReg - 12/18, in class, 9-12
Property - 12/14, in class and take home; in class 9-10, take home 10-5
Contracts - 12/16, in class, 9-12

You can find that at the "1l information" link in the email that got sent out a few days ago.

Also, to find out which LRW section you're in:
You can find your LRW section by going to MyPlan (https://myplan.law.harvard.edu), logging in, clicking on Current Students, clicking on My Schedule, and then selecting Fall 2009. Hope it helps!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 pm

iagolives wrote:

This is my supplements list for all the non-elective 1L classes: (However, I should note that I only ordered them this early to spread my book/supplement buying out over multiple credit card statements. I haven't opened any of them yet.)

Civ Pro
E&E

Torts
E&E

Contracts
Chirelstein

Crim Law
Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law

Leg Reg
???

Property
???, but probably Gilbert's

Also, there is an updated Civ Pro booklist for Section 4. Turns out that property book listed was indeed a mistake.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:10 pm

I've done about 7 loads of laundry today in preps for my move.

I hate packing.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 pm

IowaGirl wrote:
iagolives wrote:

This is my supplements list for all the non-elective 1L classes: (However, I should note that I only ordered them this early to spread my book/supplement buying out over multiple credit card statements. I haven't opened any of them yet.)

Civ Pro
E&E

Torts
E&E

Contracts
Chirelstein

Crim Law
Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law

Leg Reg
???

Property
???, but probably Gilbert's

Also, there is an updated Civ Pro booklist for Section 4. Turns out that property book listed was indeed a mistake.
Have your section's professors not assigned any specific supplements of their own? If they have, what will you do with the supplements you already bought?

It seems to me that it makes more sense to use the supplement assigned for the course, in particular if it is written by the author(s) of the casebook.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 pm

It seems to me that it makes more sense to use the supplement assigned for the course, in particular if it is written by the author(s) of the casebook.
Next thing you know, you'll be letting us know the sky is blue and Vanessa Hudgens is your girlfriend...

You definitely want to use supplements assigned for the course and/or those written by the professor, but if they're assigned (even if only recommended), I wouldn't count them as supplements.

My CivPro prof recommends the E&E and my property prof recommends Glannons.

But there are other things that can be helpful, such as case summaries (particularly when they're keyed to your textbook).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”