Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Drake014

Silver

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by Drake014 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:37 pm

mllerustad wrote:
legends159 wrote:Fall 2009 Out of state tuition: $48,152

instate tuition $35,907

It's interesting that they're still keeping the in-state out of state difference at $12,245. I thought their goal was to increase in-state to become more competitive with their peers.

I didn't know that their out of state tuition would be the highest of every schools.
Gross. If they're trying to be *competitive* with peer schools, why is their tuition higher than any of them? (And with ridiculous CoL expenses to boot!)

Sigh. I loves me some Berkeley, but if they don't give me money there's no way I can afford going there.
Yeah, UVA's offered to wave my tuition for all 3 years if I go there. Plus, living expenses there are lower. I submitted that to Berkeley and they said they'd review it but may not be able to match it. If they don't, I'll probably still go there the first year but will likely transfer out after that for a better deal somewhere else.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:57 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Yeah, I e-mailed it in PDF form. Well, I guess they were catering to my color preferences? lol
That's their secret for their selectivity! They knew that it wasn't the great IP program or the great location or the awesome people that would get you. It was the pink admit decision form! :lol:

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:21 am

Boalt is definitely doing their best to attract people to the school by appealing to their interests. I spent admit day telling current students about my experiences as a union organizer and strong interest in labor law. The adjunct professor who teaches labor law there emailed me today and wants to talk. He is also a Boalt alum.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:16 am

Just dropping by to say that the ASD was really great. I am sold on Berkeley. I have lived in WV, ND and one of the lousiest parts of TX so the Berkeley area (as well as SanFran) is just superb as far as I am concerned. As to the "homeless problem" people have been talking about, I did not find it as bad as it was made out to be (especially since I have lived/worked in NYC for a while).

Also, it was really nice meeting legends and rotor. I know that rotor is probably going to be there this fall (and I really look forward to our continued friendship, btw) but to legends - come on, forget UVA, Boalt's where all the action is. I do wish I could have met other TLS'ers.

Cheers.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:04 am

TopCat wrote:Just dropping by to say that the ASD was really great. I am sold on Berkeley. I have lived in WV, ND and one of the lousiest parts of TX so the Berkeley area (as well as SanFran) is just superb as far as I am concerned. As to the "homeless problem" people have been talking about, I did not find it as bad as it was made out to be (especially since I have lived/worked in NYC for a while).

Also, it was really nice meeting legends and rotor. I know that rotor is probably going to be there this fall (and I really look forward to our continued friendship, btw) but to legends - come on, forget UVA, Boalt's where all the action is. I do wish I could have met other TLS'ers.

Cheers.
Topcat, how did we miss each other?!?! I guess we'll just have to meet at Cafe Zeb first thing in the morning on orientation day. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am

IzziesGal wrote:Topcat, how did we miss each other?!?! I guess we'll just have to meet at Cafe Zeb first thing in the morning on orientation day. :)
A) he didn't look anything like his avatar :lol:
B) didn't you miss every TLSer at ASD? :P

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am

anyone know when orientation begins?

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 am

I have a picture of the Law School, but there was a lot of construction, so it sort of wasn't worth taking a lot of pictures.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:47 am

iamlife1001 wrote:anyone know when orientation begins?
Aug 13

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:16 am

Rotor wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Topcat, how did we miss each other?!?! I guess we'll just have to meet at Cafe Zeb first thing in the morning on orientation day. :)
A) he didn't look anything like his avatar :lol:
B) didn't you miss every TLSer at ASD? :P
Haha.

A) That would be scary if he did.
B) Technically, yes...I did miss every TLSer. Although I am convinced that I saw Amy in a crowd, but couldn't get close enough to read her name tag.

dank4284

New

Post by dank4284 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Just as a heads up, if any of you all want to e-mail your response form but don't have a scanner, I found a word document version online at: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/Response_Form.doc

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:08 pm

dank4284 wrote:Just as a heads up, if any of you all want to e-mail your response form but don't have a scanner, I found a word document version online at: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/Response_Form.doc
I love it when someone does something that's simple, practical, and very helpful.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Anyone know if we are supposed to just email to give our second confirmation (the one that's due in June), or if they will be sending another packet with more info and another form?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:27 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Anyone know if we are supposed to just email to give our second confirmation (the one that's due in June), or if they will be sending another packet with more info and another form?
They should definitely be sending you another form.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Formerbruin wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Anyone know if we are supposed to just email to give our second confirmation (the one that's due in June), or if they will be sending another packet with more info and another form?
They should definitely be sending you another form.
Merci beaucoup. :D

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:33 pm

I just typed my response as an e-mail. They accepted that.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:46 am

The 1L classes for this fall have been posted.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-program ... rByTitle=y

Quick note on the profs:

Swift, Berring, and Lester are legends

Murray, Talley, Doremus, Peterson, Gergen, Sugarman and Levy are supposed to be amazing

Biber and Schwartz are love 'em or hate 'em

Vetter and Hanlon are the weakest of the lot....

I haven't heard anything about the other professors, positive or negative.

It looks like everyone will be taking Torts. 2/3 of you will be taking Civ Pro 1. 1/3 of you will be taking Crim Law. 2/3 will be taking Property, and 1/3 will be taking Contracts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks, Formerbruin!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks FB!

Any idea if the 2/3 will all be CIVPRO+Property and 1/3 Crim + Contracts or will it be something like this notional (where sections are letters):

CIVPRO
ABCD

Property
CDEF

Crim
AB

Contracts
EF

Not that it makes much difference since we'll just get a slip of paper and be told "there you go". Just curious.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:59 am

Formerbruin wrote:The 1L classes for this fall have been posted.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-program ... rByTitle=y

Quick note on the profs:

Swift, Berring, and Lester are legends

Murray, Talley, Doremus, Peterson, Gergen, Sugarman and Levy are supposed to be amazing

Biber and Schwartz are love 'em or hate 'em

Vetter and Hanlon are the weakest of the lot....

I haven't heard anything about the other professors, positive or negative.

It looks like everyone will be taking Torts. 2/3 of you will be taking Civ Pro 1. 1/3 of you will be taking Crim Law. 2/3 will be taking Property, and 1/3 will be taking Contracts.
Thanks FB! I'm going to cry every day if I get placed in the 8:25 or 8:45 classes (even if the profs are legends). There's no way around this right? That is, if I'm placed into one of these there's no chance of switching into the 3:20 one, right? I am so not a morning person. Thanks again!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:58 am

Rotor wrote:Thanks FB!

Any idea if the 2/3 will all be CIVPRO+Property and 1/3 Crim + Contracts or will it be something like this notional (where sections are letters):

CIVPRO
ABCD

Property
CDEF

Crim
AB

Contracts
EF

Not that it makes much difference since we'll just get a slip of paper and be told "there you go". Just curious.
Edit:

On second thought.... There is only one way it could work (I think)!!! (Yay LSAT logic games)

Possible schedule 1 (1/3 of the class):

Small section torts (Schwartz, Sugarman, Sayed)
Crim law (Murray)
Civ Pro (Vetter)

Possible Schedule 2:

Big Section Torts (Levy)
Small Section Contracts (Berring, Lester, Talley)
Big section Property (Gergen)

Possible schedule 3:

Big Section Torts (Hanlon)
Civ Pro 1 (Swift)
Small section Property (Biber, Doremus, Peterson)

*Methodology, if you're interested:

Everyone gets one small section and two big sections.

Supermod 1:

Small section torts conflicts with big section property, meaning they cannot go together, and therefore the combination must be small section torts, crim law, and civ pro. Crim law conflicts with Swift's civ pro, leaving Vetter's civ pro.

Supermod 3:

Hanlon's Big Torts conflicts with Talley's Contracts. Therefore the combination must be Hanlon's Torts + Small section property. The only other big class available (that isn't torts or property) is Swift's Civ Pro 1.

Supermod 2: Everything else.
Thanks FB! I'm going to cry every day if I get placed in the 8:25 or 8:45 classes (even if the profs are legends). There's no way around this right? That is, if I'm placed into one of these there's no chance of switching into the 3:20 one, right? I am so not a morning person. Thanks again!
I'm afraid you can't change it. However, even the non-morning people last year (two years ago?) said Berring before 9 AM was completely worth it. Lester hasn't had any super early (pre-9AM) 1L classes since I've been here, so I have no feedback on that aspect of it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Formerbruin wrote:*Methodology, if you're interested:

Everyone gets one small section and two big sections.
:lol:

Just spent an hour or so meticulously creating an xls to graphically show the sections and staring at it trying to figure out iterations without much luck. If I'd had this key assumption, my forehead would be far less bruised from the wall pounding.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:29 pm

and I thought I'd never do another logic game ever...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:43 pm

hm...so you won't know which classes (let alone professors) you'll have until after you get your section assignments.

I guess you will know that you'll be taking LRW in the fall and likely torts and civ pro or properties.

When do you find out your section? Is it during orientation or before?

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:59 pm

legends159 wrote:hm...so you won't know which classes (let alone professors) you'll have until after you get your section assignments.

I guess you will know that you'll be taking LRW in the fall and likely torts and civ pro or properties.

When do you find out your section? Is it during orientation or before?
You find out when you register on the first morning of orientation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”