Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:19 am

TopCat wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
TopCat wrote:
prelaw wrote:Does that require not knowing the actual identity of the hotel?
Unfortunately, yes. It's kind of a gamble. In retrospect, I am not really *happy* with my hotel but definitely *satisfied*, especially after considering the value. I didn't know much about the areas in the Bay Area but I asked around and gambled on a locality just bordering one of the least desirable ones. But I hear that SF's locales are pretty block to block. And the deal I got seems to be just a couple of blocks short of a really undesirable one. I am OK with the locality, though. Just that I was not looking for a boutique hotel but rather one of the brand name ones (if only because I was not feeling adventurous and I would know what to expect with the name brand ones). In short, I felt kinda shortchanged by Hotwire when they claimed that my hotel will be a familiar name brand place but actually assigned me a small, local boutique with a lot of mixed reviews. However, I still do recommend Hotwire. Their deals are unbeatable, IMO.
Let's hope you are too.
Uh, didn't quite get what you're trying to insinuate :wink: but here's to hoping you're indeed the ace of diamonds and you meant it all in good faith (whatever it is you meant).
lol. I meant to insinuate that shady hotels/shady neighborhoods are usually a bad idea. I learned that the hard way.

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:08 pm

is anyone here going to the diversity dinner on April 3rd? Its at 530pm-730pm at a restaurant across from Boalt Hall.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:06 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
unionorganizer02 wrote:is anyone here going to the diversity dinner on April 3rd? Its at 530pm-730pm at a restaurant across from Boalt Hall.
I didn't even hear about this...is it only open to URM?
+1

(Even though I probably couldn't go anyway. My brother lives in Sacto and it's his birthday...)

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:56 pm

See you kids at ASW.

river85

New

Post by river85 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:10 pm

So this is weird. I got the admitted email on February 19, but I haven't heard anything from Berkeley since that email - no more emails, nothing. I haven't even gotten the packet yet, although I emailed them on March 11 and they replied on the same day that they would send out a duplicate packet. Seriously, wth? Most other schools have at least sent out emails/packets with more info about the school. Now I'm starting to worry that there's something funky going on with my admittance. I'm really excited about the school, but their admissions practices are kind of offputting... What's your take on all this? :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Has anyone heard about merit scholarships yet? Email? Snail?

I figure its probably still a week or two away...

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:11 pm

river85 wrote:So this is weird. I got the admitted email on February 19, but I haven't heard anything from Berkeley since that email - no more emails, nothing. I haven't even gotten the packet yet, although I emailed them on March 11 and they replied on the same day that they would send out a duplicate packet. Seriously, wth? Most other schools have at least sent out emails/packets with more info about the school. Now I'm starting to worry that there's something funky going on with my admittance. I'm really excited about the school, but their admissions practices are kind of offputting... What's your take on all this? :?
Mail fluke

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm trying to decide how upset to be about not getting invited to the diversity dinner.

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:31 pm

I was under the impression that the only way to get a merit scholarship is to do the matching thingy, I'm not too sure about this though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I'm trying to decide how upset to be about not getting invited to the diversity dinner.
I was invited but it was during the calls that were made by the La Raza organization. If you are an URM maybe it was the groups responsibility to tell you. The guy kind of told me about it like an after thought.

afjag09

New

Post by afjag09 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while - mailed my intent to enroll on Monday and finally decided to join the conversation. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and though I can't make it to ASW (a couple of monster midterms right around that time, bleh), hope to meet you all soon!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:59 am

trojans09 wrote:I was under the impression that the only way to get a merit scholarship is to do the matching thingy, I'm not too sure about this though.
Nope. There are some scholarships outside of the matching program, but the majority of scholarship funds is disbursed via the matching program.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 am

afjag09 wrote:Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while - mailed my intent to enroll on Monday and finally decided to join the conversation. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and though I can't make it to ASW (a couple of monster midterms right around that time, bleh), hope to meet you all soon!
Welcome and Congrats afjag! Hope to see you in August!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:59 am

Congrats AFJAG. I'm speculating based on your sn, but are you already accepted into the JAG program? Have you seen the JAG thread here? May give you some other info you might need. As for the AF part...I'm sorry for that. Navy's the place to be! :lol:

Here's the JAG link I was thinking of:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=31543

There are some others that creative use of the search function using secret terms like "military", "GI Bill", and "Yellow Ribbon" that you may find helpful.

Again congrats.

kguilf99

New

Post by kguilf99 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:50 am

Hey everyone!! I just discovered the amazingness that is the law school 2012 forums and now I'm addicted. I'm deciding between Berkeley and a few other schools, but Berkeley is my top choice if I can figure out how to pay for it, and after reading the forums I love you guys the best and I really hope I will be joining you in August!!! Seriously, if you read other forums there is really a different tone to them, it's weird. Or I'm just biased/crazy? Anyway, I can't make it to the ASW, but I went to visit a couple of weeks ago and it was everything I imagined and more. Gosh I fricken love Berkeley law, it makes my heart happy :o)

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 pm

kguilf99 wrote:Hey everyone!! I just discovered the amazingness that is the law school 2012 forums and now I'm addicted. I'm deciding between Berkeley and a few other schools, but Berkeley is my top choice if I can figure out how to pay for it, and after reading the forums I love you guys the best and I really hope I will be joining you in August!!! Seriously, if you read other forums there is really a different tone to them, it's weird. Or I'm just biased/crazy? Anyway, I can't make it to the ASW, but I went to visit a couple of weeks ago and it was everything I imagined and more. Gosh I fricken love Berkeley law, it makes my heart happy :o)
You are crazy, which is why you fit in here perfectly. :wink:

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 pm

kguilf99 wrote:Hey everyone!! I just discovered the amazingness that is the law school 2012 forums and now I'm addicted. I'm deciding between Berkeley and a few other schools, but Berkeley is my top choice if I can figure out how to pay for it, and after reading the forums I love you guys the best and I really hope I will be joining you in August!!! Seriously, if you read other forums there is really a different tone to them, it's weird. Or I'm just biased/crazy? Anyway, I can't make it to the ASW, but I went to visit a couple of weeks ago and it was everything I imagined and more. Gosh I fricken love Berkeley law, it makes my heart happy :o)
Haha that is exactly how I felt when got my acceptance e-mail. I googled Berkeley Law 2012 this site came up and I was like awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dan1044

New

Post by Dan1044 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Is anyone going to the ASW? Where are you guys staying?

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Dan1044 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASW? Where are you guys staying?
ymca hostel 3night ~ 120bux - studentuniverse.com

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm staying with a student host. He just contacted me but I still have no clue where I am supposed to go after my flight gets in from the airport. Hmmmmmm....

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:53 pm

trojans09 wrote:I was under the impression that the only way to get a merit scholarship is to do the matching thingy, I'm not too sure about this though.
Does anyone know / has anyone been able to send in requests for matching scholarships for schools not on the list? I have a large scholarship from a top 20 school that I am considering because of regional preferences/of course the $$, but on the other hand, I'm not sure if I want to get bought out of Berkeley...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

afjag09

New

Post by afjag09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Rotor wrote:

Congrats AFJAG. I'm speculating based on your sn, but are you already accepted into the JAG program? Have you seen the JAG thread here? May give you some other info you might need. As for the AF part...I'm sorry for that. Navy's the place to be! :lol:

Here's the JAG link I was thinking of:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=31543

There are some others that creative use of the search function using secret terms like "military", "GI Bill", and "Yellow Ribbon" that you may find helpful.

Again congrats.
Thanks Rotor! You're right about the JAG program - I received an ROTC educational delay to attend law school straight out of undergrad. I have seen the JAG thread, been following it religiously, thanks! I'll definitely look up some of the terms that might be of interest to those in the military - thanks for the tips.

And Navy over Air Force? Hm, that's something we can debate for the next three years and probably never reach an agreement, haha.

Dan1044

New

Post by Dan1044 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Adrian wrote:
I'm staying with a student host. He just contacted me but I still have no clue where I am supposed to go after my flight gets in from the airport. Hmmmmmm....
Boalt couldnt give me a student host. oh well

LegalColorado

New

Post by LegalColorado » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Does anyone know much about the co-op housing at Berkeley?

It appears awesome on the surface, but I'm afraid that it might be a bunch of tree-hugging hippy crap. On the other hand, room and board are wayyy cheap at about 670 a month, with no summer commitment required.

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:36 pm

LegalColorado wrote:Does anyone know much about the co-op housing at Berkeley?

It appears awesome on the surface, but I'm afraid that it might be a bunch of tree-hugging hippy crap. On the other hand, room and board are wayyy cheap at about 670 a month, with no summer commitment required.
I visited a friend living in a co op building on another Uc campus a few years ago. The peope were kind of weird and really big hippies. So my sense is that the one at Berkeley would be even more ultra pinko commie liberal considering it is Berkeley. But I don't know for sure.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”