Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Rotor

Silver

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by Rotor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Got an email today about the UCDC program where UCB and UCLA students can spend a semester in Washington. I haven't seen anything about this before. Has anyone else??

It's a new program but it may be the deciding factor even if I do make the SLS cut somehow.

Edit: FB, any idea how many are selected? # of apps? Class rank of those accepted etc.?

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Rotor wrote:Got an email today about the UCDC program where UCB and UCLA students can spend a semester in Washington. I haven't seen anything about this before. Has anyone else??

It's a new program but it may be the deciding factor even if I do make the SLS cut somehow.

Edit: FB, any idea how many are selected? # of apps? Class rank of those accepted etc.?
I'm actually planning on doing it next year. It's a new program that started this year. So far there are rave reviews.

I emailed the woman in charge last month and asked her that question. Here's what she said.
3) The chances are very good if one applies and is really interested in
the program and follows through on the application and working with the
DC director to find an appropriate placement that one will be able to
participate in the program.
Also, they probably provided the link, but in case they didn't, here it is:

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/3691.htm

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Thanks FB. I knew you'd be the go-to guy. Good luck to you in applying.

It sounds perfect for me too, except I'll have to convince my wife that I should go after dragging her *from* VA to CA. :-)

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi All! I've read TLS forums for months now and decided to finally join in on the fun...
Oh.. and IN AT BERKELEY AS WELL!! I can't wait!

Btw, join our group on Facebook... we must catch up to the other T14's!! haha... See you all on ASD!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:07 am

mallen210 wrote:Hi All! I've read TLS forums for months now and decided to finally join in on the fun...
Oh.. and IN AT BERKELEY AS WELL!! I can't wait!

Btw, join our group on Facebook... we must catch up to the other T14's!! haha... See you all on ASD!
Congrats Mallen. Welcome to the family.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Amy, what do you mean they didn't pay attn to your gender request?? My husband and I are both equally uncomfortable with me staying with a random guy out there lol.......

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Amy, what do you mean they didn't pay attn to your gender request?? My husband and I are both equally uncomfortable with me staying with a random guy out there lol.......
I am female, and thus requested to stay with a female student. However, my host's name is John (or some variation of John, I forget). Regardless, probably not female. :lol:
...Jonathina? Jonamina? Jonaline? That's all I have..

Are you guys coming Thursday and staying through Saturday, or? I know you have to fly out on the Weds. and leave by the Sunday, but wasn't sure if people are taking advantage of the whole weekend or not. :) Also wondering if staying SF will put a major crimp in the plans for Friday night post-ASD?
Last edited by dueprocess14 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:53 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Amy, what do you mean they didn't pay attn to your gender request?? My husband and I are both equally uncomfortable with me staying with a random guy out there lol.......
I am female, and thus requested to stay with a female student. However, my host's name is John (or some variation of John, I forget). Regardless, probably not female. :lol:
Sorry Amy. If I was female I'd let you stay here!

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:07 pm

zabagabe wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I am female, and thus requested to stay with a female student. However, my host's name is John (or some variation of John, I forget). Regardless, probably not female. :lol:
Jonatha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:33 pm

zabagabe wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:

Are you guys coming Thursday and staying through Saturday, or? I know you have to fly out on the Weds. and leave by the Sunday, but wasn't sure if people are taking advantage of the whole weekend or not. :) Also wondering if staying SF will put a major crimp in the plans for Friday night post-ASD?
Haha...

Amy, it does sort of seem like a strange request to not meet. Oh well...free is free! I put in my request. If it doesn't work out, I'll be at the local Marriot. You're welcomed to room with me if John ends up being creepy. (I'm a female)

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:00 pm

I am in from Thu to Sun. The flight is booked (had to pay $18 out of pocket) and now looking at lodging options. I will prolly be staying in SF (Hotwire is showing $66/night for a 3-star hotel around Union Square West area). Will finalize lodging+SO's flights this weekend.

Looking forward to meeting you all. All Berk admits seem to be wonderful people here at TLS. I may not recognize many of you but I bet you all won't fail to recognize me: I will probably be the shortest guy around 8) and most probably one of the few (if not the only one who shows up) intl JD admits.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Hey Topcat, when you booked did they let you select the flight, or did they decide it for you once you put in vague day & time requirements? Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else! :)

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 pm

zabagabe wrote:Hey Topcat, when you booked did they let you select the flight, or did they decide it for you once you put in vague day & time requirements? Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else! :)
I asked them to send me their best deal first. The outbound (from my place, i.e.) was OK but the inbound was too early for my taste (6am flight) so I asked them to get me something mid-morning and said I was willing to pay up to $30-40 more for the convenience. So they then got back to me with a more reasonable inbound flight. That's why the $18 extra. FWIW, I was once a travel counselor for AmEx Business Travel and I think Carlson Wagonlit do seem to know their business. I suggest asking them for a more convenient itin if the initial one they offer is lousy. Chances are they can get one within the budget.

Anyone else staying in SF?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Also staying in San Fran. Since ASD is on Saturday only, I think staying in the city is more convienient if you plan to see the city on Thursday/Friday/Sunday, etc. Hotel in SF wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be either! :D

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:21 pm

mallen210 wrote:Also staying in San Fran. Since ASD is on Saturday only, I think staying in the city is more convienient if you plan to see the city on Thursday/Friday/Sunday, etc. Hotel in SF wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be either! :D
Wait, the ASD is on Friday (April 3rd) :)

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Sorry, definitely meant Friday only (Thursday/Saturday/Sunday for site seeing).

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Everyone done with their finaid apps? I just have to fill out Need Access and even this much is turning out to be more complicated than I thought.

Also, what do you guys make of the "Scholarship Interest Form" (the one with the essays)? I am planning to send it off tomorrow even though I am sure someone with my numbers prolly ain't gettin a dime wortha merit monee. Writing two of the essays right now.

I already feel like a Berkeley troll :mrgreen:. I just want to come back to this thread over and over again. Really happy that I got in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 am

A (satirical) song on the Boalt grading system. This was just after we changed our name from Boalt as finals approached fall of 1L year.

Contains some mature language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWLZ8jo ... re=related

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 pm

TopCat wrote:
I already feel like a Berkeley troll :mrgreen:. I just want to come back to this thread over and over again. Really happy that I got in.
You're in good company. I officially sent in my acceptance of their offer, and now have to begin the painful task of withdrawing from all other schools. Also, I got my fin aid package from Rutgers (in state + scholarship), and realized that I wouldn't need ANY private loans to go there. Everything was covered. And I'm passing it up. For good reasons, obviously...but STILL. It hurts, just a bit. :D

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Berkeley Troll +3

Haha... Can't wait!

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Formerbruin wrote:A (satirical) song on the Boalt grading system. This was just after we changed our name from Boalt as finals approached fall of 1L year.

Contains some mature language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWLZ8jo ... re=related
Notorious B.O.A.L.T! Still Civ Pro is amazing.

trawlin' trawlin' trawlin' let's see if I catch a big fish ($$ need-based).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Anyone flying out of Newark for the ASD??

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Sent in my acceptance as well!

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 pm

I posted this awhile back so I just decided to post it again to see if anyone has made their plane reservations since... I am arriving in San Francisco at 7:15, is anyone else arriving around that time in that airport. I'm willing to share a taxi or take a bart if anyone else would like to join me. I don't know my way around the bay area so I may not be much help but what the heck.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:09 pm

bilbo and Izzies, did you guys check off the first option? I actually checked off the tentative one...just because I want to hear about finaid. Whatever happens, though, I am pretty sure I am heading off to Berzerkely.

Adrian, I am getting in earlier (3:45). I am sure there will be a number of people getting in around 7pm.

btw, Izzies, my SO is flying in from JFK. I can't believe we got a roundtrip nonstop for $232 after taxes and surcharges and all (Virgin America).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”