Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by worldtraveler » Wed May 13, 2009 11:47 am

Procrastinators, don't feel too bad. I need to gather a bunch of paperwork to prove I'm a resident. Since I'm abroad right now I'll be doing that the week before law school. I plan on running around like a maniac for a few days and then starting orientation. :(

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 pm

Ummm....so anyone in Cali right now??

I just received a TON of addendums from my leasing agent and I am not exactly happy. For starters, mold and asbestos warnings. Is this typical for California? I remember seeing signs posted about "harmful chemicals" on various hotels and such that wouldn't be posted in NJ. Is this just b/c California is environmentally progressive and notifies residents of every potential issue, or is this a genuine cause for concern? I'm waiting for a response from the leasing agent, but can anyone weigh in, in the mean time?? :(

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 13, 2009 12:19 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Ummm....so anyone in Cali right now??

I just received a TON of addendums from my leasing agent and I am not exactly happy. For starters, mold and asbestos warnings. Is this typical for California? I remember seeing signs posted about "harmful chemicals" on various hotels and such that wouldn't be posted in NJ. Is this just b/c California is environmentally progressive and notifies residents of every potential issue, or is this a genuine cause for concern? I'm waiting for a response from the leasing agent, but can anyone weigh in, in the mean time?? :(
I wouldn't worry too much. Esp after I saw the link of your complex. I found it totally odd when I first moved to Cali, though.

FWIW, my laundry room at my current apartment has a sign that says "This area contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects."
Thanks, Amy.

My god is this guy going to hate me. I'm one of the few people (aside from probably everyone on this board) who reads over every single contract with a fine tooth comb and then has questions. He's going to take back the offer lol

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Wed May 13, 2009 12:41 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:The Los Angeles reception was fun last night!

Also, has anyone gotten their SLR approved yet? Any Grad PLUS loans popping up on the BearFacts?
Any more details on the LA reception? What was it like?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Okay....so my list of questions has been answered. There is definitely asbestos in the ceilings. Undisturbed, it is supposedly not harmful - but if the previous tenant drilled into the ceiling or hung anything from the ceiling, etc....it would have been disturbed and fibers would have been released. There is a way to test for fibers in the air, but it is REALLY expensive (the whole process takes about 5 hours and the samples are sent to the lab overnight). Anyone have any feedback? I'm starting to feel like this whole thing was in fact too good to be true. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Wed May 13, 2009 2:39 pm

I can understand your reservations about living in a box of cancer-causing asbestos... but the actual risk to you will be fairly minimal. Even a single exposure to asbestos (which would only happen if you drilled into it or it was somehow broken (like in an earthquake, or you throw your conlaw book through it) would carry a negligible risk of cancer. The serious issues with asbestos typically come from prolonged exposure to it, and often only 30 to 40 years later.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm

feeblemiles wrote:I can understand your reservations about living in a box of cancer-causing asbestos... but the actual risk to you will be fairly minimal. Even a single exposure to asbestos (which would only happen if you drilled into it or it was somehow broken (like in an earthquake, or you throw your conlaw book through it) would carry a negligible risk of cancer. The serious issues with asbestos typically come from prolonged exposure to it, and often only 30 to 40 years later.
I'm so confused lol...damn you, California, and your hyper-sensitivity to environmental / health issues!!! I bet I have lived in asbestos infested units in NJ, but just never known about it. Stupid stupid disclosure forms!!!

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Wed May 13, 2009 2:55 pm

I know what you mean! I was going to buy someone a coffee mug recently and it had this giant sticker on it that said "Some of the dies used in this mug are known by the state of California to cause birth defects and cancer."

Kinda hard to ignore language like that. You'd think manufacturers would stop using whatever requires them to put a label like that on their products.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Wed May 13, 2009 3:28 pm

feeblemiles wrote:I can understand your reservations about living in a box of cancer-causing asbestos... but the actual risk to you will be fairly minimal. Even a single exposure to asbestos (which would only happen if you drilled into it or it was somehow broken (like in an earthquake, or you throw your conlaw book through it) would carry a negligible risk of cancer. The serious issues with asbestos typically come from prolonged exposure to it, and often only 30 to 40 years later.
I concur with feeblemiles here. Time was, if there was asbestos found it was a major hazmat issue...acres of plastic sheeting, miles of duct tape, HEPA filters and all that.

These days, though, unless it's friable asbestos (like for pipe insulation and that sort of thing...oh and lots of applications on Navy ships :( ) they recommend keeping it in place. Obviously, if you see little fibers falling from the ceiling etc, you'll want to have it checked out. But if it isn't going to be your home for a very long time, I wouldn't sweat it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Rotor wrote:
I concur with feeblemiles here. Time was, if there was asbestos found it was a major hazmat issue...acres of plastic sheeting, miles of duct tape, HEPA filters and all that.

These days, though, unless it's friable asbestos (like for pipe insulation and that sort of thing...oh and lots of applications on Navy ships :( ) they recommend keeping it in place. Obviously, if you see little fibers falling from the ceiling etc, you'll want to have it checked out. But if it isn't going to be your home for a very long time, I wouldn't sweat it.
Thanks for the advice guys....my husband and I decided to pass and keep looking. We just argued to get our security deposit back, claiming that if we had known about all these issues beforehand, we wouldn't have applied or paid the deposit. Neither one of us feels cozy about it, so count me back in the group of homeless Berkeley 0Ls.

Oh, we'll still host the first pizza and beer study session…..location TBD.
:wink:

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Thu May 14, 2009 12:33 pm

Hey Amy or anyone else that was at the LA event... how long did you stay / the event run for? Any additional observations or comments?

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:21 pm

feeblemiles wrote:Hey Amy or anyone else that was at the LA event... how long did you stay / the event run for? Any additional observations or comments?
it was a lot of fun. i talked to a boalt alum who is now a screen writer. i got there at 6pm and left by 8pm. It was still going. I was a little surprised that there were no public interest alumni lawyers present. The majority of the alum who attended were white collar criminal defense lawyers. It may also be a result of the interests and field of the person who hosted the event. I joked to one of them about how busy they must be right now (all those Bernie Madoffs out there) and how their line of work is "recession-free." i also found out from one of the admissions people that Professor John Yoo (the guy who coauthored the torture memos and provided the Bush administration with the legal justification for waterboarding) teaches constitutional law. Dean Tom told me Professor Yoo hasn't been around campus for a while. Oh and I met Amy's SO. Seems like a great and brilliant guy!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri May 15, 2009 9:04 am

IzziesGal,

I had considered sending a PM, but there may be others who will find the attached link helpful. There's a new airline starting up where pets will fly as the passengers in the main cabin.

Routes are limited (NY/CHI/LA), but it's only $149 and in theory looks to be a better way for pets to fly. If you're still sold on going the southern route, you could time it so that you cruise into LA, pick up your pooch and then take the PCH through Santa Barbara/Monterey on the way to Berkeley!

--LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon May 18, 2009 10:29 am

amyLAchemist wrote:
unionorganizer02 wrote:Oh and I met Amy's SO. Seems like a great and brilliant guy!
:oops:

Also, did anyone receive a message from financial aid that your fin aid has been updated? But when you log in, it's exactly the same as before? I don't like cryptic messages, esp. from fin aid.
I would pretty much kill for any sort of message from fin aid....cryptic or not. :D
And sadly, no, I didn't receive any info about my file being updated. Grrr!!!!

Go_Cardinals

New

Post by Go_Cardinals » Mon May 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Anyone successfull in setting up their @berkeley.law.edu account? I can't get to the site that lets you set it up.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon May 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Go_Cardinals wrote:Anyone successfull in setting up their @berkeley.law.edu account? I can't get to the site that lets you set it up.
It's only an @berkeley.edu address. But didn't have any real problems apart from thinking of a pass phrase that I could remember and successfully type two times in a row. :)

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon May 18, 2009 4:19 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Yeah, the passphrase thing was annoying to set-up. lol

Anyways, has anyone a) had their SLR processed and/or b) have Grad PLUS on BearFacts? Sorry I keep asking, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Fin aid told me to "give it some time" - without indicating how much time some time is. ;)
Just checked. Nothing changed. :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Mon May 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Nothing new for me on bearfacts either... almost a month after I was told my SLR decision would be on a bearfacts "within a few days" grrrrr...

+1 on an irrational fear of not being from California :D

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:41 pm

In regards to SLR, go on bearfacts under personal, click personal profile, and then change the term to fall 2009, then it says your classification with "california residency status". Hope that helps.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Mon May 18, 2009 5:45 pm

trojans09 wrote:In regards to SLR, go on bearfacts under personal, click personal profile, and then change the term to fall 2009, then it says your classification with "california residency status". Hope that helps.
Thanks! Wonder how long that has been there... that was so not obvious.

I'm officially from California. :)

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon May 18, 2009 6:44 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
feeblemiles wrote:
trojans09 wrote:In regards to SLR, go on bearfacts under personal, click personal profile, and then change the term to fall 2009, then it says your classification with "california residency status". Hope that helps.
Thanks! Wonder how long that has been there... that was so not obvious.

I'm officially from California. :)
Oh, I was thinking that was what we self-reported. Maybe not.... :? BearFacts = :evil:
I was thinking so too Amy. However, now though mine reads "SLR Started but not submitted", so there appears to be other input to it too.

I have paperwork outstanding to waive my non-resident tuition so that's probably what that means. I'll give it a while to work since I only mailed it last week.

Now, that said, whether it is fortunately or unfortunately, I have a RATIONAL fear that it won't be approved. One of the emails from the Registrar said that approval of the waiver was contingent on approval of the Regents to fund said waivers (which considering the state of the budget, I won't feel good until I see the student budget number drop on the award summary page).

Thanks for the info trojans!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:39 am

I found a nice cheap place for rent, but I am unsure of the location. I am renting from NYC and before I pay for it, can anyone tell me how the location is. The house is at Bancroft Way and san pablo (123) avenue, and the google street view does not look great.

thanks in advance to all who respond

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 19, 2009 11:42 am

iamlife1001 wrote:I found a nice cheap place for rent, but I am unsure of the location. I am renting from NYC and before I pay for it, can anyone tell me how the location is. The house is at Bancroft Way and san pablo (123) avenue, and the google street view does not look great.

I just asked a friend at work who lived in Berkeley and she said it's not a bad area - some of her favorite bars are in that neighborhood. :D She did say it's not the most happening area, but it's totally fine as far as safety goes.

Edit: Also, street view didn't look too bad to me.....??

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:45 am

IzziesGal wrote:
iamlife1001 wrote:I found a nice cheap place for rent, but I am unsure of the location. I am renting from NYC and before I pay for it, can anyone tell me how the location is. The house is at Bancroft Way and san pablo (123) avenue, and the google street view does not look great.

I just asked a friend at work who lived in Berkeley and she said it's not a bad area - some of her favorite bars are in that neighborhood. :D
wow that was fast; thanks izziesgal, flash speed :)

I am not too risk adverse but I heard that there were areas where the police were afraid to go into (in oakland) so I just was a bit reserved.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 19, 2009 11:46 am

iamlife1001 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

I just asked a friend at work who lived in Berkeley and she said it's not a bad area - some of her favorite bars are in that neighborhood. :D
wow that was fast; thanks izziesgal, flash speed :)

I am not too risk adverse but I heard that there were areas where the police were afraid to go into (in oakland) so I just was a bit reserved.
This is in Berkeley, though, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”