Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
bilbobaggins

Silver

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:39 pm

I emailed my contact and I think it's just a general question/answer thing.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:50 am

bilbobaggins wrote:I emailed my contact and I think it's just a general question/answer thing.
It definitely is. My contact won't be there during ASD, so that answers the question.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:56 am

Hmmm this might be awkward since I emailed my person and said something to the extent of "I got a vague email saying you are 'going to available to me.' I requested a host - are you my host? Perhaps you could tell me the extent of your availability...I'm confused"

Definitely going to think I'm a creeper...

you rebel scum

New

Post by you rebel scum » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 pm

hey 0Ls,

pretty sure the email you got was part of a mentorship thing where 1Ls are put in touch with admitted students to answer their questions, etc. i hope you guys will make use of this program, as everyone who's participating is doing so because they signed up for it hoping to be a useful resource for anyone who is trying to make a decision (or who have their minds made up but have questions nonetheless!).

an email from dean tom i received .45 seconds ago confirms that they are still working on matching hosts and visitors.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Hmmm this might be awkward since I emailed my person and said something to the extent of "I got a vague email saying you are 'going to available to me.' I requested a host - are you my host? Perhaps you could tell me the extent of your availability...I'm confused"

Definitely going to think I'm a creeper...
I LOL'd at work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 pm

It's not a host but do shoot your person an email with questions. The response I received was very impressive and covered absolutely anything I could possibly want to know about my inquiry.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:16 pm

you rebel scum wrote:hey 0Ls,

an email from dean tom i received .45 seconds ago confirms that they are still working on matching hosts and visitors.
Rebel, thanks for confirming. Even though you're not my contact, I do have a question for you: Are things so frantic at Boalt that you measure your day in hundredths of seconds!? :shock:

j/k, of course.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Didn't get the email. No emails from Berkeley since Dean Tom sent us that .pdf Berkeley Law Resource Guide. Anyone else not get this "general contact" email?

cupofcoffee

New

Post by cupofcoffee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I didn't get the email. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't fill out a form or something? I did receive a voicemail from a student to answer any questions but I received an email about that from Dean Tom prior to the call.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:33 pm

cupofcoffee wrote:I didn't get the email. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't fill out a form or something? I did receive a voicemail from a student to answer any questions but I received an email about that from Dean Tom prior to the call.
I was wondering about this too. I did get the email you mention about the calls (it said "Calls will be made on March 5, 2009, beginning at 5:00 pm "). Never got any calls. Oh well.

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Alright after about a month of waiting... I finally got the person whom I am rooming with for ASD, YAY!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:37 pm

I was poking around the Berkeley web site today and came across an admitted students' web site. (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted.htm)

I can't find any login info in my package. Am I just blind? Or has no one received a username/password?

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:56 pm

I think it says in the program guide we got the other day they will send out username/password some time in April.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Anyone else finding the hotels for the weekend to be outside a student budget?

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 pm

prelaw wrote:Anyone else finding the hotels for the weekend to be outside a student budget?
Try hotwire. I got a decent, boutique hotel (I think 3 diamond rated or something) for $62 a night in San Fran nearby a BART station. Or, if you will be there by yourself and you're ok with a hostel, I think there's one nearby Boalt hall for around $30 a night or something.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Does that require not knowing the actual identity of the hotel?

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:17 am

prelaw wrote:Does that require not knowing the actual identity of the hotel?
Unfortunately, yes. It's kind of a gamble. In retrospect, I am not really *happy* with my hotel but definitely *satisfied*, especially after considering the value. I didn't know much about the areas in the Bay Area but I asked around and gambled on a locality just bordering one of the least desirable ones. But I hear that SF's locales are pretty block to block. And the deal I got seems to be just a couple of blocks short of a really undesirable one. I am OK with the locality, though. Just that I was not looking for a boutique hotel but rather one of the brand name ones (if only because I was not feeling adventurous and I would know what to expect with the name brand ones). In short, I felt kinda shortchanged by Hotwire when they claimed that my hotel will be a familiar name brand place but actually assigned me a small, local boutique with a lot of mixed reviews. However, I still do recommend Hotwire. Their deals are unbeatable, IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:20 am

TopCat wrote:
Unfortunately, yes. It's kind of a gamble. In retrospect, I am not really *happy* with my hotel but definitely *satisfied*, especially after considering the value. I didn't know much about the areas in the Bay Area but I asked around and gambled on a locality just bordering one of the least desirable ones. But I hear that SF's locales are pretty block to block. And the deal I got seems to be just a couple of blocks short of a really undesirable one. I am OK with the locality, though. Just that I was not looking for a boutique hotel but rather one of the brand name ones (if only because I was not feeling adventurous and I would know what to expect with the name brand ones). In short, I felt kinda shortchanged by Hotwire when they claimed that my hotel will be a familiar name brand place but actually assigned me a small, local boutique with a lot of mixed reviews. However, I still do recommend Hotwire. Their deals are unbeatable, IMO.
Let's hope you are too.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am

mijahe wrote:I think it says in the program guide we got the other day they will send out username/password some time in April.
Thanks. I must have missed that.

I think I stopped reading when I found out that I am eligible for a waiver of out-of-state tuition because I attended & graduated from a HS in California. Got confirmation from the registrar that I qualify even though I've been away 20 years. I am worried a bit about the caveat on the confirmation: "as long as the UC Regents and the State of California continue to waive and fund the nonresident tuition...." [Maybe Arnold will send the school an IOU like they were going to do with tax returns...]

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 am

prelaw wrote:Anyone else finding the hotels for the weekend to be outside a student budget?
studentuniverse.com found a hostel for 40/night within walking distance.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Just got the email about the admitted student receptions!!

Anyone else going to the NYC one at Simpson?? :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Let's hope you are too.
Uh, didn't quite get what you're trying to insinuate :wink: but here's to hoping you're indeed the ace of diamonds and you meant it all in good faith (whatever it is you meant).

cupofcoffee

New

Post by cupofcoffee » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Just got the email about the admitted student receptions!!

Anyone else going to the NYC one at Simpson?? :D
considering it... depending on what time I get off work

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Just got that email too. Is anyone going to the one in DC? And is it me or do you have to have a car or walk 30 mins from the nearest metro to get to it? And it looks to be at an alumni's house?????

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 pm

mallen210 wrote:Just got that email too. Is anyone going to the one in DC? And is it me or do you have to have a car or walk 30 mins from the nearest metro to get to it? And it looks to be at an alumni's house?????
I'm seriously considering it. I hate making the 6 hr round trip, though (almost 7 to that part of NW). Wish it weren't mid week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”