UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:18 am

I just got done taking care of transferring utilities, so that when I get to C-ville, I will have power and heat and cooling and such. Hoorah.

For those in Arlington Court Condos, what are you using for cable/Internet? I was never able to get a definitive answer on DirecTV, Comcast's website keeps telling me they have cable but not Internet service in my area, and Embarq will only give me DSL by bundling it with home phone service I don't want.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 am

vanwinkle wrote:I just got done taking care of transferring utilities, so that when I get to C-ville, I will have power and heat and cooling and such. Hoorah.

For those in Arlington Court Condos, what are you using for cable/Internet? I was never able to get a definitive answer on DirecTV, Comcast's website keeps telling me they have cable but not Internet service in my area, and Embarq will only give me DSL by bundling it with home phone service I don't want.
Hmmm... I thought I had seen that Comcast did do internet for Arlington Ct, but I don't remember ever putting in my address, so I could easily be wrong. Either today or in the coming days, I'm going to have a marathon and call all these companies and try to wheedle out deals (ones that preferably are from Comcast but only include cable and internet). I'll update when I have more info.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:41 am

JSkid

New

Post by JSkid » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:25 am

YCrevolution wrote:
napolnic wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I just got done taking care of transferring utilities, so that when I get to C-ville, I will have power and heat and cooling and such. Hoorah.

Hmmm... I thought I had seen that Comcast did do internet for Arlington Ct, but I don't remember ever putting in my address, so I could easily be wrong. Either today or in the coming days, I'm going to have a marathon and call all these companies and try to wheedle out deals (ones that preferably are from Comcast but only include cable and internet). I'll update when I have more info.
Maybe Comcast doesn't but that would be pretty weird since I'm at Jeffersonian Apartments (also on Arlington), and they do Internet there.
I'll be living in the Arlington Court condos and I have Comcast coming in two weeks to set up my cable and internet.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Comcast can be both your cable and internet (it will be for me). The girls who live in my condo currently have Comcast as their internet provider.

If you're putting your address into their website, try using Arlington Boulevard instead. The City of Charlottesville, or at their utility services, doesn't even recognize Arlington Court as a valid address.

DO NOT use Directv.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kguilf99

New

Post by kguilf99 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Do any current law students on here (is Gladiator the only one?) know any graduating students that are selling furniture, particularly in Ivy Gardens? I'm in the market for just about everything and would love to make the move as easy as possible (it will be just me and my dad moving stuff, he is old and I am scrawny and female :o). I'll be down in Charlottesville next Tuesday through Thursday getting moved into Ivy. Thanks!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:28 pm

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:06 pm

kguilf99 wrote:Do any current law students on here (is Gladiator the only one?) know any graduating students that are selling furniture, particularly in Ivy Gardens? I'm in the market for just about everything and would love to make the move as easy as possible (it will be just me and my dad moving stuff, he is old and I am scrawny and female :o). I'll be down in Charlottesville next Tuesday through Thursday getting moved into Ivy. Thanks!
Sorry, not aware of anybody. http://www.sleephappens.com delivers beds and will bring it to your room and place it wherever you want if that helps.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:31 pm

showNprove wrote: If you're putting your address into their website, try using Arlington Boulevard instead. The City of Charlottesville, or at their utility services, doesn't even recognize Arlington Court as a valid address.
I put in Arlington Blvd as the address. Comcast's website kept saying they don't provide Internet at that location, only cable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheJenkyJenky

New

Post by TheJenkyJenky » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey all, new to TLS, so be gentle. I was directed here by the facebook group discussion board to which one person was kind enough to reply. I read some of the pages on this thread, but not all--there are 208. So forgive me for asking questions that have already been answered.

Is anyone living in Eagles Landing, or did I make a horrible choice?

What is the consensus for preparation? Are there any must read books or summaries of the courses? I feel very behind, and we've yet to begin.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:19 pm

gladiator wrote:
kguilf99 wrote:Do any current law students on here (is Gladiator the only one?) know any graduating students that are selling furniture, particularly in Ivy Gardens? I'm in the market for just about everything and would love to make the move as easy as possible (it will be just me and my dad moving stuff, he is old and I am scrawny and female :o). I'll be down in Charlottesville next Tuesday through Thursday getting moved into Ivy. Thanks!
Sorry, not aware of anybody. http://www.sleephappens.com delivers beds and will bring it to your room and place it wherever you want if that helps.
Gladiator- do you know how quickly they deliver and if you can tell them what day/time you want them there? I want to get a new mattress, and I figure what's the point of having to haul one down to C'ville and move it in myself if they'll deliver, but I'm sure the SO will want to have an actual bed to sleep in after moving me in, so I was wondering if it's possible to set it up so they'll deliver while I'm moving in.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm

ILikeIke wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Gladiator- do you know how quickly they deliver and if you can tell them what day/time you want them there? I want to get a new mattress, and I figure what's the point of having to haul one down to C'ville and move it in myself if they'll deliver, but I'm sure the SO will want to have an actual bed to sleep in after moving me in, so I was wondering if it's possible to set it up so they'll deliver while I'm moving in.
Check the site but I think they were willing to deliver on the day I wanted it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AllAmericanGirl

New

Post by AllAmericanGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Does anyone know where we go to do the loan counseling? I can't find it on any of the UVA sites. It doesn't show up in my SIS to do list, but I really don't remember doing it...

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:01 pm

I am leaving Alabama tomorrow morning at 5am so I can arrive to Charlottesville in time to get the keys to my apartment!!! I will probably be absent from TLS for several days - however, I know I will be at the TLS gathering Sunday night. Anyone who would like more details feel free to PM me or Limegreen or appliepie.

Also, my mom has given me some special "entertaining" dishware (i.e. chip and dip platter) so I will certainly be happy to host a TLS get together after I have a chance to settle in!

Mmmk, enough enthusiasm and ecstatic posts for one evening. We are creeping in on one month till orientation....

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:25 pm

AllAmericanGirl

New

Post by AllAmericanGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:55 pm

thanks!!

looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:39 am

crazyinalabama wrote:I am leaving Alabama tomorrow morning at 5am so I can arrive to Charlottesville in time to get the keys to my apartment!!! I will probably be absent from TLS for several days - however, I know I will be at the TLS gathering Sunday night. Anyone who would like more details feel free to PM me or Limegreen or appliepie.

Also, my mom has given me some special "entertaining" dishware (i.e. chip and dip platter) so I will certainly be happy to host a TLS get together after I have a chance to settle in!

Mmmk, enough enthusiasm and ecstatic posts for one evening. We are creeping in on one month till orientation....
Y'all need to have another get together... this weekend is my last weekend of commuting back to Richmond for work :(... we moved up here last weekend (my wife has been commuting up to c'ville for the past 3 weeks), but we had the most disastrous move (Dominion Power managed to get my disconnect order at my old place but screwed up the transfer of service so we spent a weekend with no power at the house we're renting, living out of a hotel, and keeping the dogs boarded in Richmond).

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:15 am

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 am

thesealocust wrote:
TheJenkyJenky wrote:Hey all, new to TLS, so be gentle. I was directed here by the facebook group discussion board to which one person was kind enough to reply. I read some of the pages on this thread, but not all--there are 208. So forgive me for asking questions that have already been answered.

What is the consensus for preparation? Are there any must read books or summaries of the courses? I feel very behind, and we've yet to begin.
Haven't heard of anyone living there, but I doubt that makes it a 'horrible choice'. We'll all (probably) be at the law school for 7+ hours a day anyway...

Prep thoughts varies widely... conventional wisdom is that the book Getting to Maybe is worth its weight in gold and is a good skim before LS, anything else (law related) is likely either not useful or only marginally so for the time invested in it. A healthy dose of sleep, beaches, old friends, beer, novels, or whatever pleasures will be skipped during LS is probably a good idea though ;)
Bingo.

EaglesXLIV

New

Post by EaglesXLIV » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
showNprove wrote: If you're putting your address into their website, try using Arlington Boulevard instead. The City of Charlottesville, or at their utility services, doesn't even recognize Arlington Court as a valid address.
I put in Arlington Blvd as the address. Comcast's website kept saying they don't provide Internet at that location, only cable.
I'm on arlington and Comcast is the internet provider to my building. Maybe this is a bad sign on what my internet's going to be like when I move in..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheJenkyJenky

New

Post by TheJenkyJenky » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Wellsfargowagon wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
TheJenkyJenky wrote:Hey all, new to TLS, so be gentle. I was directed here by the facebook group discussion board to which one person was kind enough to reply. I read some of the pages on this thread, but not all--there are 208. So forgive me for asking questions that have already been answered.

Haven't heard of anyone living there, but I doubt that makes it a 'horrible choice'. We'll all (probably) be at the law school for 7+ hours a day anyway...

Prep thoughts varies widely... conventional wisdom is that the book Getting to Maybe is worth its weight in gold and is a good skim before LS, anything else (law related) is likely either not useful or only marginally so for the time invested in it. A healthy dose of sleep, beaches, old friends, beer, novels, or whatever pleasures will be skipped during LS is probably a good idea though ;)
Bingo.
Bingo on the resting up and relaxing? How do I squelch the unrelenting trepidation then?

I guess I'm just really nervous. What happens if we utterly fail? What fate awaits the UVA grad at the bottom of his class with no extracurricular activities? I want a worst case scenario.

Mini classified ad: Looking for roommates to live in Eagles Landing. $489/mo all bills included, private bed and bath, smoke free and pretty quiet.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Has anyone received a Fall Term Billing statement. I see the charges posted on SIS, but I didn't get e-mail a bill and can't find a way to print one. I was hoping to get a PDF if available.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”