UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
YCrevolution

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 pm

What exactly where they complaining about?

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
gladiator wrote:60 TLS people picked UVa last year and none of them came back to TLS to complain about it. That's gotta say something about how awesome the school is.
Wow, that means something like 15% of the entering class was on TLS.
Sweet lord, that's a helluva thing, isn't it?

I so wanted to say something clever, but there we are.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:17 pm

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:20 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Daico wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
gladiator wrote:60 TLS people picked UVa last year and none of them came back to TLS to complain about it. That's gotta say something about how awesome the school is.
Wow, that means something like 15% of the entering class was on TLS.
Sweet lord, that's a helluva thing, isn't it?

I so wanted to say something clever, but there we are.
As time permits, I'm going to try and keep posting on TLS as a 1L.
Same here, but I'll be on hiatus from August to December. Will definitely try to be a contributor 2L and 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:02 am

J-Rod wrote:There are a lot of people here who drink, and a lot of people who don't. Not drinking won't make you a social outcast in any way. Everyone here is really social and friendly, and could care less whether or not you drink. There are also plenty of people who go to parties, bar review, etc. and only have 1-2 drinks, and have just as much fun as those of us who have significantly more. There is always stuff going on

This place really is a blast. Everyone I've talked to couldn't wait to get back from winter break to start having fun again . . . where else in the T14 are you gonna hear that?
You just made me like UVA a lot more. <3

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:39 am

congrats on all those accepted and considering coming to c'ville this fall. i had some really high expectations for the school before i attended, it has surpassed nearly all of them. it is a remarkable school that will open doors no matter what you plan on doing for a career. for example, i went perfect on my interviews this past winter (USAO, Judges, and firms) (for 1L employment). By virtue of a solid undergrad resume and attending uva, doors magically opened. the alumni network is also a huge deal and should be a selling point some of us overlook. with this economy, people are starting to freak about big-law jobs, etc. they are legitimate concerns, but from my experience and other people's experiences there are plenty of good jobs that a uva law degree can help you capture.

just remember the quality of life (softball/partying/beautiful scenery/good people) can be just as important as academics when you become a top-notch lawyer. uva offers a fantastic well-rounded experience to many of the students. every alum i've talked to, has reminiscenced about how much they enjoyed their time here.

if you have any questions, i know j-rod/gladiator/myself would be more than willing to answer.

edit j-rod is cub fan, take his advice with a grain of salt :wink:

also, i'll try my best to answer when i can, but it's getting busy (feb club/journals/appellate briefs/general reading) but i can give info on ivy gardens.

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:01 pm

Now that I have an avatar, I wanted to say hello: "Hello all."

Does anyone have an opinion on the best books on the recommended reading list?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:27 pm

BarrelState wrote:Now that I have an avatar, I wanted to say hello: "Hello all."

Does anyone have an opinion on the best books on the recommended reading list?
Welcome!

I'm reading Blank Slate (by Steven Pinker, who had a great article in the Times today) and A Civil Action and enjoying both. I'm not a huge fan of Pinker's writing style but the subject matter is interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:04 pm

I vote for Remains of the Day and A Civil Action

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:20 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I vote for Remains of the Day and A Civil Action
I second that.

hotburrito

New

Post by hotburrito » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:34 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I vote for Remains of the Day and A Civil Action
I loved Remains of the Day but confess to not really getting the law connection. Ditto Anthony Trollope, who is on the Michigan reading list.

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'll start with Remains of the Day. I'm down with Ishiguro anyway. I am curious about how it will prepare me for 1L . . . but if UVA says so, I will take their word for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Has anyone gone to visit the Woodlands or talked to anyone there? Also, are there any more apartment or condo places like this that are newer and more on the luxury side of things?

I'm planning on going up sometime in the next month to figure out housing but I'm just wondering how hard it is to secure a place and if there are all kinds of waiting lists and things.

Also, when people talk about living on Arlington, what is that all about? Is there an apartment complex or something? I am trying to do as much research online and save myself some time when I visit so is there a website? I looked at Ivy Gardens but it looks kind of dated so I don't know about that one.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Woodlands is nice but it's a decent commute to school every day. If you can handle that and being a drive away from a lot of other students, it's a great option.

When people say Arlington, they mean Arlington Blvd, the road that runs into the law school. It's nice because your walk to school is like 2-7 minutes depending on where you live on Arlington. It's also right next to the shopping center and the softball fields so everything is basically right there for you. If you live on Arlington or in Ivy Gardens, you have to (and should anyway) walk to school and can't get a parking pass. A lot of 1Ls live on Arlington or in Ivy so it's a nice way to meet people and be close by to hang out. Apartment complexes on Arlington Blvd are Graduate Centre, Jeffersonian Apartments, and Arlington Court. There's also Copeley, the on-campus apartments but I would strongly discourage living there since their only benefits are proximity to the school and they're cheap but you have to share a room which seems awful for law school. Graduate Centre and Jeffersonian Apartments have websites, Arlington Court I believe doesn't. Grad Centre is all 4 bed/4 bath apartments. Jeffersonian and Arlington Court I believe are 1 bed/1 bath and 2 bed/1 bath apartments.

All of the apartments near the law school are decent but not great on amenities or flashy appearance so if you want to live in style, you have to pick somewhere like Woodlands or Avemore. If you can stand 3 more years of just acceptable apartments before you make the big $, then Arlington is fine.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:32 pm

limegreen wrote:Has anyone gone to visit the Woodlands or talked to anyone there? Also, are there any more apartment or condo places like this that are newer and more on the luxury side of things?

I'm planning on going up sometime in the next month to figure out housing but I'm just wondering how hard it is to secure a place and if there are all kinds of waiting lists and things.

Also, when people talk about living on Arlington, what is that all about? Is there an apartment complex or something? I am trying to do as much research online and save myself some time when I visit so is there a website? I looked at Ivy Gardens but it looks kind of dated so I don't know about that one.
I live in The Woodlands, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:34 pm

Got the phone call on Friday. I'm in!!! :D

I'll likely be going to the 3/13 ASD. I'll drop a post on the other thread as well.

Now comes the hard part: picking a school to go to! Right now it's between Texas +$$$$$, UVA, or Penn. Decision anxiety hitting anyone else yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:39 pm

EaglesXLIV

New

Post by EaglesXLIV » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey, you can add me to the list of those attending UVa this fall. I'll probably be going to ASD on the 13th

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:55 pm

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks gladiator and J-Rod.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EaglesXLIV

New

Post by EaglesXLIV » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm actually a UVa undergrad right now, so I've sort of been scouting out some places near the law school over the last couple days. If you'd like to know anything in particular I can look into it.

Also, thanks for the info YC

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:28 pm

eagles,
tell me you are really an eagles fan... im surrounded by so many redskin haters down here. as if their team even made it to the playoffs. i need some support.

EaglesXLIV

New

Post by EaglesXLIV » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Haha, yeah I'm an Eagles fan in Virginia. I don't have any ties to Philly but I've always liked the Eagles for whatever reason since I can remember. Plus my home is pretty far from DC so we don't have as much of a Redskins presence like what you'd find in NoVA.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:12 pm

gladiator wrote:Woodlands is nice but it's a decent commute to school every day. If you can handle that and being a drive away from a lot of other students, it's a great option.

When people say Arlington, they mean Arlington Blvd, the road that runs into the law school. It's nice because your walk to school is like 2-7 minutes depending on where you live on Arlington. It's also right next to the shopping center and the softball fields so everything is basically right there for you. If you live on Arlington or in Ivy Gardens, you have to (and should anyway) walk to school and can't get a parking pass. A lot of 1Ls live on Arlington or in Ivy so it's a nice way to meet people and be close by to hang out. Apartment complexes on Arlington Blvd are Graduate Centre, Jeffersonian Apartments, and Arlington Court. There's also Copeley, the on-campus apartments but I would strongly discourage living there since their only benefits are proximity to the school and they're cheap but you have to share a room which seems awful for law school. Graduate Centre and Jeffersonian Apartments have websites, Arlington Court I believe doesn't. Grad Centre is all 4 bed/4 bath apartments. Jeffersonian and Arlington Court I believe are 1 bed/1 bath and 2 bed/1 bath apartments.

All of the apartments near the law school are decent but not great on amenities or flashy appearance so if you want to live in style, you have to pick somewhere like Woodlands or Avemore. If you can stand 3 more years of just acceptable apartments before you make the big $, then Arlington is fine.
I've spoken with the manager of the Jeffersonian Apartments and she says if you really want to have a legitimate shot at getting the apartment of your choice (i.e. 1 bedroom w/ or w/o den, top floor, etc.) you should get on the wait list by February.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”