UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
uvagirl0708

New

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by uvagirl0708 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:07 am

Hi everyone!

I know it's a long shot that anyone is looking for a place to live this year so late in the game, but in case, I thought I'd share this, which was sent to me by Annabelle Mangan, current president of the UVA chapter of Tri-Sigma:
Our chapter is looking for a resident House Director for the upcoming school year. The candidate we previously had lined up for the position has backed out, and with the semester beginning in just a few weeks we are looking to find someone quickly.

The House Director receives free room and board as well as a monthly stipend. Accommodations are a separate apartment within the sorority house (located close to UVa grounds as well as Charlottesville's downtown and the Corner) with a private entrance and bath. Responsibilities include paying bills, buying supplies for the house, and organizing upkeep of the house (lawn care, repairs, etc.).

If you're interested in the position, contact Annabelle at arm9t@virginia.edu.
I lived in this house as an undergrad, and would definitely take the position myself if I wasn't married/already locked into a lease, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Also, if you know any other UVA grad students who might be interested, (Annabelle and) I would really appreciate it if you could pass this on. Thanks guys!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:18 am

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:40 am

Anyone know what the best place to do grocery shopping is for Ivy residents?

Also - I'm a bit confused about the tax rates in Virginia. Is it:

5% general sales tax?
2.5% groceries?

What about on food you order at a restaurant?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:54 am

EyeBeeM wrote:Anyone know what the best place to do grocery shopping is for Ivy residents?

5% general sales tax?
2.5% groceries?

Well, if you read the last page or so, people seem to disagree between Kroger and Harris Teeter (both in Barracks shopping center and probably closest major grocery stores to Ivy). I prefer Harris Teeter because their produce is usually fresher and the Harris Teeter brand of food is pretty good and reasonable in my opinion.

No clue about tax.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:05 pm

There's a Foods of All Nations right near Ivy Gardens on Ivy Rd. I've never been in there though so can't comment on the quality/selection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:07 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:13 pm

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:31 pm

That's strange it says it goes with 64 bits. It wouldn't let me install from the UVA ITC website saying I needed to download it for 64 bits.

By the way YCrev-- Law School Predictor is awesome.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Alright I'm here. What are we doing tonight?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:49 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:Anyone know what the best place to do grocery shopping is for Ivy residents?

5% general sales tax?
2.5% groceries?

Well, if you read the last page or so, people seem to disagree between Kroger and Harris Teeter (both in Barracks shopping center and probably closest major grocery stores to Ivy). I prefer Harris Teeter because their produce is usually fresher and the Harris Teeter brand of food is pretty good and reasonable in my opinion.

No clue about tax.
5% general sales tax in Charlottesville
2.5% sales tax on groceries in Charlottesville
9% total restaurant food tax in Charlottesville (5% general sales tax + 4% meals tax; prepared foods bought at a grocery store incur the 5% tax only)
There are also taxes on utilities, short-term lodging (hotels/motels), short-term vehicle rentals, gasoline, and cigarettes/tobacco.
Thanks! When I was down in C-ville looking for an apartment I stopped at Chipotle (for the first time ever!) and was shocked to see that tax was almost 10% on my burrito! Coming from PA which has a 6% sales tax on everything (and 0% on groceries) it's a bit of a change - perhaps a good one since it'll make me think twice about eating out all the time.

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:50 pm

To change it up a bit - anyone in C-ville already get their copy of MS Office Student for $10 from UVA? Someone at ITC told me they might also have a cheap upgrade for Windows 7 when it comes out too.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:50 pm

CE2JD wrote:Alright I'm here. What are we doing tonight?
Drive-by smashing mailboxes with baseball bats.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 pm

gladiator wrote:
Sounds like my kind of activity.

I'll drive. You can smash the mailboxes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:05 pm

CE2JD wrote:
gladiator wrote:

Tomorrow on ATL:
We know it's summer, but that doesn't stop us from having not just one, but two law school students of the day. These two 0Ls were mere weeks from starting class when their admissions to UVA were rescinded after posts inciting criminal behavior were made on a popular forum for law school students. UVA's Dean of Admissions, Jason Wu Trujillo, made the decision after reading their comments on the forum, adding when asked for comment, "I've been looking for reasons to dump these two anyway as a way to solve our overenrollment problem."
:mrgreen: :lol: :wink:
Last edited by vanwinkle on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:06 pm

CE2JD wrote:
gladiator wrote:

I'm out of town til tomorrow. JSUVA is probably up for some batting practice though.
We know it's summer, but that doesn't stop us from having not just one, but two law school students of the day. These two 0Ls were mere weeks from class when their applications to UVA were rescinded after posts inciting criminal behavior were made on a popular forum for law school students. UVA's Dean of Admissions, Jason Wu Trujillo, made the decision after reading their comments on the forum, adding when asked for comment, "I've been looking for reasons to dump these two anyway as a way to solve our overenrollment problem."
I'm a rising 2L so I guess that means I didn't get caught. Sweet.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:11 pm

gladiator wrote:
I'm a rising 2L so I guess that means I didn't get caught. Sweet.
Whoops! :P

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:12 pm

gladiator wrote:There's a Foods of All Nations right near Ivy Gardens on Ivy Rd. I've never been in there though so can't comment on the quality/selection.
I used to go to Foods of All Nations when I was a kid visiting Charlottesville. From what I remember, it is extremely delicious for prepared foods and hard-to-find spices/international foods. However, it's probably closer in price range to Whole Foods than Harris Teeter. Definitely the closest grocery store to Ivy though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks! When I was down in C-ville looking for an apartment I stopped at Chipotle (for the first time ever!) and was shocked to see that tax was almost 10% on my burrito! Coming from PA which has a 6% sales tax on everything (and 0% on groceries) it's a bit of a change - perhaps a good one since it'll make me think twice about eating out all the time.
10%? That stinks. I'm used to that living in Seattle, but the burritos at the Chipotle here are about 50 cents cheaper than in CVille so I thought it would be roughly even. Oh well, there's always Taco Bell...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
10%? That stinks. I'm used to that living in Seattle, but the burritos at the Chipotle here are about 50 cents cheaper than in CVille so I thought it would be roughly even. Oh well, there's always Taco Bell...
Well, it's 9% if it makes you feel better. Over the course of three years and lots of food, that'll add up to a few bucks. And with the savings, you might make another $1 in interest.

Also, Taco Bell != Chipotle.
Actually, I just remembered that Washington State raised the liquor tax yesterday to over 50%, so I imagine that my savings on alcohol taxes in VA will more than make up for the higher price of Chipotle.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:02 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:18 pm

So with the 5% sales tax hard liquor is taxed half as much as in WA. Yay!

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:51 pm

I like and respect Chipolte, and you may think I'm blasphemous... but I think our forum overhypes it quite a bit.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Have anyone's loan interviews updated on SIS yet? I know they were working their way through the system.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Also, does anyone know if we can fax our pre-health form?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”