UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gladiator

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by gladiator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:38 am

EyeBeeM wrote:Ah, thanks. Can you tell me where to find this book list posted online? Also...will our sections be posted online somewhere (not getting to C-ville until late).
--LinkRemoved--

(Scroll down to LAW near the bottom)

uvagirl0708

New

Post by uvagirl0708 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:40 am

EyeBeeM wrote:
gladiator wrote: A book list is already posted online and available at the bookstore, you just won't know which ones to buy until you have a section.
Ah, thanks. Can you tell me where to find this book list posted online? Also...will our sections be posted online somewhere (not getting to C-ville until late).
If you go to Lawweb (the first link at the top of http://www.law.virginia.edu page), you should be able to log in using your computing ID and your Lawweb password. Once the section assignments are posted, you'll be able to see them there. If you won't have web access, you can always get someone else to check for you, since everyone's assignment is posted in one place, rather than each person being informed of their section individually.

Thanks for the link to the booklist Gladiator. In case anyone is wondering, here are the hours for the Law School bookstore for next weekend:

Friday, August 15: 9 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 16: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday, August 17: 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:55 am

gladiator wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:Ah, thanks. Can you tell me where to find this book list posted online? Also...will our sections be posted online somewhere (not getting to C-ville until late).
--LinkRemoved--

This list says 2008 at the top.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:12 pm

green wrote:
gladiator wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

This list says 2008 at the top.
Yea, I'm positive it's accurate for Fall 09 though.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:15 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:Also...will our sections be posted online somewhere (not getting to C-ville until late).
I was told they'd be online the 13th. The lady wasn't too sure where they'd be posted, but I figure they'll be somewhere on the law web site

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 pm

lsatbobby wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:Also...will our sections be posted online somewhere (not getting to C-ville until late).
I was told they'd be online the 13th. The lady wasn't too sure where they'd be posted, but I figure they'll be somewhere on the law web site
This is what it said in the orientation/information email I got:
As noted in the packet, section assignments and reading assignments will be posted by mid-day on Friday, August 14, in the glass cases across from the Student Records Office in Slaughter Hall. (Section assignments will simultaneously be posted on LawWeb.)

btw, is anyone else thinking of doing the public service day activity for the Albermarle housing on the 16th?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:15 pm

I was told by the guy at the book store that every section will have the same CrimLaw casebook and to feel safe to buy it now. Professors may add supplemental material, but all will use that casebook.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
1LGirl wrote:Ooooo a Friday bar crawl!??? Is this TLS or all 1L based?? hahah... since I'm very new to this site!
It's only for people who have over a thousand posts :)
--ImageRemoved--
After that graphic, I'm all in.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:48 pm

How do we know what books to buy after we find out our Prof?

At my undergrad you just went to the bookstore and found your class and teacher, is it the same deal, or do I need to make a list of specific books? Also, can you just go online and order them and pick them up like I did in undergrad, or do I have to go do it all myself?

Finally, I have a friend going to WM law and apparently they have to dress up the first week... I didn't miss some memo about that for UVA did I?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:50 pm

limegreen wrote:How do we know what books to buy after we find out our Prof?

At my undergrad you just went to the bookstore and found your class and teacher, is it the same deal, or do I need to make a list of specific books? Also, can you just go online and order them and pick them up like I did in undergrad, or do I have to go do it all myself?

Finally, I have a friend going to WM law and apparently they have to dress up the first week... I didn't miss some memo about that for UVA did I?
Same as undergrad on books, I don't think you can get them online but not sure. No, there's nothing about dressing up the first week. If you see people dressed up, they're 2Ls doing interviews or 1L supergunners.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:58 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:12 pm

gladiator wrote:
limegreen wrote:How do we know what books to buy after we find out our Prof?

Same as undergrad on books, I don't think you can get them online but not sure. No, there's nothing about dressing up the first week. If you see people dressed up, they're 2Ls doing interviews or 1L supergunners.
I'll be the guy in the black tux.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:12 pm

thesealocust wrote:Books: I think they're in the process of changing the website. Links still exist to --LinkRemoved-- - but it doesn't work anymore, and law books aren't up on their big list. You will deifnitely be able to just walk into the bookstore and look it up if worse comes to worse.

No, there is no dress code - possible exception firm reception / interviews (obviously).
Thanks... I feel like I'm really behind or something for some reason because I have not really given any thought to anything related to law school yet.

Do we need notebooks and stuff and folders for classes? I plan on using my laptop (if allowed) for all classes but I'm wondering if I should buy a big notebook or if I should just get folders or one of those multi pocket organizers or what. Do a lot of 1L classes ban laptops?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Also, anyone know if any of orientation is outside? I always dress really warm for school because it seems to be freezing inside but if we are going to be like walking 3 miles or doing something outside half the day I want to prepare.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:13 pm

limegreen wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Books: I think they're in the process of changing the website. Links still exist to --LinkRemoved-- - but it doesn't work anymore, and law books aren't up on their big list. You will deifnitely be able to just walk into the bookstore and look it up if worse comes to worse.

No, there is no dress code - possible exception firm reception / interviews (obviously).
Thanks... I feel like I'm really behind or something for some reason because I have not really given any thought to anything related to law school yet.

Do we need notebooks and stuff and folders for classes? I plan on using my laptop (if allowed) for all classes but I'm wondering if I should buy a big notebook or if I should just get folders or one of those multi pocket organizers or what. Do a lot of 1L classes ban laptops?
I wish my mind could generate questions like yours does.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:15 pm

limegreen wrote:Also, anyone know if any of orientation is outside? I always dress really warm for school because it seems to be freezing inside but if we are going to be like walking 3 miles or doing something outside half the day I want to prepare.

I can't find the paper...but I remember reading in the schedule something about eating outside at some point...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

green

Bronze

Post by green » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:19 pm

showNprove wrote:I was told by the guy at the book store that every section will have the same CrimLaw casebook and to feel safe to buy it now. Professors may add supplemental material, but all will use that casebook.
When I visited and looked at the shelves, it seemed like every section had the same torts book as well, though the list online seems to contradict that.

Edit: It also looks like two of the LRW books are the same for everyone (The Lawyer's Craft and the blue book).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:45 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:46 pm

CE2JD wrote:
I'll be the guy in the black tux.
lol

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:55 pm

limegreen wrote:Also, anyone know if any of orientation is outside? I always dress really warm for school because it seems to be freezing inside but if we are going to be like walking 3 miles or doing something outside half the day I want to prepare.
If the schedule is the same as last year, lunch and the BBQ dinner will both be outside.

I would say have at least 1 notebook and folder. Most professors will tell you in advance if laptops are banned (or they'll tell you to put away your laptops on the 1st day and then cold call you as happened to me, hopefully not to you but be prepared). I'm pretty sure they're always banned in LRW but not positive. I had a laptop ban in 2 out of my 6 non-LRW 1L classes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 pm

1. I will pay anyone a significant amount of money for me to take notes if there is a laptop ban. I will be taking my own notes, of course, but I usually can't read my handwriting...No joke, part of my decision-making process was which schools allowed me to take exams online.

2. Is the bookstore at the law school? I know I passed A bookstore when touring, but I also went to the bookstore for the undergrad campus to pick up my computer (gunners scoff and roll eyes at crazyinalabama's clear ineptitude; 1 student down, 370 more to go).

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 pm

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:1. I will pay anyone a significant amount of money for me to take notes if there is a laptop ban. I will be taking my own notes, of course, but I usually can't read my handwriting...No joke, part of my decision-making process was which schools allowed me to take exams online.

2. Is the bookstore at the law school? I know I passed A bookstore when touring, but I also went to the bookstore for the undergrad campus to pick up my computer (gunners scoff and roll eyes at crazyinalabama's clear ineptitude; 1 student down, 370 more to go).

[strike]crazyinalabama[/strike]

back to the practice exams and E&Es...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:35 pm

^ lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”