UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
CE2JD

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:47 pm

showNprove wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
napolnic wrote:I know I shouldn't be that surprised by this, but how many people here are married/engaged going into law school? How exactly is the engagement going to work (i.e. - are you getting married during a summer of LS or making it an extra long engagement?)?
I'm married.

It's nice to have someone cooking, cleaning, and paying the rent while you're studying your ass off. :D
Did your wife get a job in Charlottesville?
No, but she's gotten a few bites. It's hard to actually get a job offer when you're 3000 miles away. Phone interviews can only get you so far, especially when interviewing for a PR job.

She'll be doing some interviews when we get to C'ville around August 1-3.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:49 pm

I think I've already asked this, but I'm going to ask again anyway. Are most of you going to get a new driver's license and all of that with your Cville address or just keep the one you have?

Are there any pros/cons to doing so? I assume since I'm in school and my "permanent address" is still my Mom's house that I can just leave it as that, but I'm wondering if I should switch it? I need to get a new license soon anyway because the picture I have now is from the day I turned 15 and got my permit (I'm now 23), so I always get crazy looks when I get carded.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:36 pm

limegreen wrote:I think I've already asked this, but I'm going to ask again anyway. Are most of you going to get a new driver's license and all of that with your Cville address or just keep the one you have?

Are there any pros/cons to doing so? I assume since I'm in school and my "permanent address" is still my Mom's house that I can just leave it as that, but I'm wondering if I should switch it? I need to get a new license soon anyway because the picture I have now is from the day I turned 15 and got my permit (I'm now 23), so I always get crazy looks when I get carded.
Ahhh, Virginia: where you have the same picture on your driver's license from the age of 15 to the age of 25.

I know you can change your address without getting a new address. You get a postcard that you have to carry around with you, so not exactly the best setup, but you don't have to pay for a new license. But if you want a new picture, go for it.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 pm

As far as I know, students do not need to have a Virginia driver's license or other ID. If you're not in school, a Virginia license is necessary (probably after one or two months) to drive and do whatever else, but for students any out-of-state ID is valid.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Shooting up to UVA next week or the week after for a visit. Anyone else?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Cavalier wrote:As far as I know, students do not need to have a Virginia driver's license or other ID. If you're not in school, a Virginia license is necessary (probably after one or two months) to drive and do whatever else, but for students any out-of-state ID is valid.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct.
Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles wrote:If you are enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited school in Virginia and not employed, you may drive in Virginia with a valid out-of-state (or another country) driver's license and valid out-of-state license plates on your vehicle. If you are a full-time student and employed, you are considered a resident of Virginia for the purposes of motor vehicle laws only. This does not necessarily qualify you for in-state tuition rates. Therefore, you must apply for a Virginia driver's license and register your vehicle in Virginia. You must register the vehicle in Virginia even if it is owned by someone else.
Thanks... that kind of answers my question, but what if you are already a resident of Virginia. Is there any reason to change my address from my old county to the new one? I am probably going to get a new license soon because my picture is 8 years old and I am tired of being stared at blankly every time someone looks at my license, but I don't know if I should get it at home or at school and whether it makes any difference at all? Also wondering about registering to vote and whether I need to switch to up here or leave it at home in eastern VA?

I guess I normally would have figured all of this out in college but I only went to school about 30 minutes from home so it was easier to leave everything as is.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles wrote:
lmao. I should start doing that when I quote from a website.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:47 pm

So I just read Dean Trujillo's interview and am still thrilled I decided on UVA! Hearing him and Yared Getachew (public interest director) during the ASW won me over and there was no turning back after that rainy Friday afternoon. :D I'm so excited for law school and even more excited to tell potential 1Ls that "Chicago is where fun goes to die" (which is all I heard during ASW when I mentioned the schools I was considering).

Please forgive the overload of optimism but I'm psyched up again. Two weeks until moving day!

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Crazyinalabama you are very wise to have chosen UVA over Chicago. I was very interested in Chicago (I majored in Math/Econ so was excited for the law/econ mindset and analysis they employ in Chicago. Then I visited Chicago and thereafter there was no contest. For me it was Berkeley, but I also visited UVA and regretted not applying for everyone was so happy there (such as stark contrast since I had just come from Chicago and Columbia).

Everyone will have a blast at UVA and we should have a TLS party within the first 2 weeks of school to let everyone on TLS bond further. Everyone has a great 3 years in front of them and you definitely all made the right choice.

Cheers,

Ken

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:56 pm

Ken wrote:Crazyinalabama you are very wise to have chosen UVA over Chicago.
why's it gotta be a contest, man
crazyinalabama wrote:I'm so excited for law school and even more excited to tell potential 1Ls that "Chicago is where fun goes to die"
NOT cool yo :(

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Ken wrote:Crazyinalabama you are very wise to have chosen UVA over Chicago. I was very interested in Chicago (I majored in Math/Econ so was excited for the law/econ mindset and analysis they employ in Chicago. Then I visited Chicago and thereafter there was no contest. For me it was Berkeley, but I also visited UVA and regretted not applying for everyone was so happy there (such as stark contrast since I had just come from Chicago and Columbia).

Everyone will have a blast at UVA and we should have a TLS party within the first 2 weeks of school to let everyone on TLS bond further. Everyone has a great 3 years in front of them and you definitely all made the right choice.

Cheers,

Ken

+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:So I just read Dean Trujillo's interview and am still thrilled I decided on UVA! Hearing him and Yared Getachew (public interest director) during the ASW won me over and there was no turning back after that rainy Friday afternoon. :D I'm so excited for law school and even more excited to tell potential 1Ls that "Chicago is where fun goes to die" (which is all I heard during ASW when I mentioned the schools I was considering).

Please forgive the overload of optimism but I'm psyched up again. Two weeks until moving day!
Already love beer and can learn to love softball. See you there.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 pm

doyleoil wrote:
Ken wrote:Crazyinalabama you are very wise to have chosen UVA over Chicago.
why's it gotta be a contest, man
crazyinalabama wrote:I'm so excited for law school and even more excited to tell potential 1Ls that "Chicago is where fun goes to die"
NOT cool yo :(
This is after all the UVA Class of 2012 thread...I thought I was safe in inoffensively writing that I'm happy with my decision over other schools...it wasn't one made lightly. No one at UVA convinced me not to go to Chicago...it was a joke. Oh well - yay that Ken read my post! Life is now complete as a pre-1L :D

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:12 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:.I thought I was safe in inoffensively writing that I'm happy with my decision over other schools...
no harm at all in writing that - i realize the "fun comes to die" reference was probably light-hearted, but i think the perpetuation of the easy stereotype doesn't really help anyone, that's all - people will figure out for themselves what they want (for many reasons) - substantive critique is cool, though

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

extragnarls

New

Post by extragnarls » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:38 pm

doyleoil wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:.I thought I was safe in inoffensively writing that I'm happy with my decision over other schools...
no harm at all in writing that - i realize the "fun comes to die" reference was probably light-hearted, but i think the perpetuation of the easy stereotype doesn't really help anyone, that's all - people will figure out for themselves what they want (for many reasons) - substantive critique is cool, though
If I had to guess, I'd say people applaud the choice of Virginia over Chicago as a reaction to the fact that so many on TLS are unduly caught up in matters of rankings and prestige and--seemingly--fail to consider where they'd actually be happiest. I don't know if that applies here.

For what it's worth, I was really impressed on my visit to UChi, and if the 1Ls I met were any indication, the "where fun goes to die" rep is only applicable to the UG, if it has any merit at all.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:45 pm

extragnarls wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say people applaud the choice of Virginia over Chicago as a reaction to the fact that so many on TLS are unduly caught up in matters of rankings and prestige and--seemingly--fail to consider where they'd actually be happiest.
totally - and at this level of school choosing for fit makes sense

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:44 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:18 am

thesealocust wrote:
Ken wrote: Everyone will have a blast at UVA and we should have a TLS party within the first 2 weeks of school to let everyone on TLS bond further. Everyone has a great 3 years in front of them and you definitely all made the right choice.

Cheers,

Ken
'We' you say... are we going to be able to get The Ken to Charlottesville for our TLS rager :mrgreen: ?
Let's start a student club, get school funding, and pay to fly him over to give a lecture at UVA on the topic of "The role of TLS in law school admissions."

How about it Ken?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bulldog4574

New

Post by bulldog4574 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 am

so what's the consensus on getting married during law school? like between 2nd and 3rd year? My fiancee and I really dont want to wait three more years, but it would it just be an insane amount of stress to try and do it then?

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:47 pm

bulldog4574 wrote:so what's the consensus on getting married during law school? like between 2nd and 3rd year? My fiancee and I really dont want to wait three more years, but it would it just be an insane amount of stress to try and do it then?
Not to sound like a jerk, but shouldn't the only consensus that matters really be between you and your fiancee? Just my opinion...

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:50 pm

iamjikem wrote:
bulldog4574 wrote:so what's the consensus on getting married during law school? like between 2nd and 3rd year? My fiancee and I really dont want to wait three more years, but it would it just be an insane amount of stress to try and do it then?
Not to sound like a jerk, but shouldn't the only consensus that matters really be between you and your fiancee? Just my opinion...
Also, I would assume the amount of stress will depend on the location (cross country from VA) and how planning-intensive/expensive your wedding is going to be . I've never met a bride that doesn't inflict an insane amount of stress on those around her :D

bulldog4574

New

Post by bulldog4574 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm

iamjikem wrote:
true, but i was just wandering if anyone else had done it then or was planning on trying it then and had any sage advice to offer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”