UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
crazyinalabama

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by crazyinalabama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:53 pm

limegreen wrote:Does anyone have any desk suggestions? I have waited until the last minute and I'm not sure if I want to get what I had planned on getting. Something online would be great since the broken foot kind of limits what I can carry and go pick up, but if there is something really great around town I could probably make the time to go look at it.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ky ... oduct.html

I almost shed a tear when I saw this was soldout...I was so excited for the possibility of you adding it to your limegreen household collection =)

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:59 pm

limegreen wrote:Does anyone have any desk suggestions? I have waited until the last minute and I'm not sure if I want to get what I had planned on getting. Something online would be great since the broken foot kind of limits what I can carry and go pick up, but if there is something really great around town I could probably make the time to go look at it.

I bought this corner desk from target and it is awesome. It takes a couple hours to set up but it is worth it. It has a ton of surface area, I have my laptop, desktop and book son it no problem.

http://www.target.com/Modern-L-Shaped-C ... 199&page=2

lkjhg8844

New

Post by lkjhg8844 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 pm

does anyone know if we'll be able to park at the school for orientation on Monday/Tues ?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 pm

lkjhg8844 wrote:does anyone know if we'll be able to park at the school for orientation on Monday/Tues ?
As far as I know, parking restrictions are suspended from Aug 10 to Sept 4.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:34 pm

edit nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:
I put together my One Desk To Rule Them All today. Barely fit in my car (civic), got it at staples. Very sparse black stainless steel legs, light tan pressurized something top, L-shaped (about the size of 2.5 regular desks), option keyboard drawer thing. It was $59.99 or $69.99, can't remember. Very sturdy, took a while to set up but minimal troubles. I am a very discerning man when it comes to my desk. I'm at the grad center on arlington if you want to take a look.

On that note, moved in today! Completely exhausted and still building furniture. Ugh.

Another recommendation: The 4 shelf half-height bookshelf from Walmart. $20, handsome in black, absolutely crappy materials but easy to make and quite sturdy enough once finished. Requires philips head screwdriver and hammer.
Those bookshelves are great - I have two at home filled to the brim. I think you need to join us for dinner tomorrow solely because your facebook pic used to be someone (presumably you) on a motorcycle. My SO has a motorcycle and after a 5hr ride today on the skyline drive I am no longer a fan...I need him to find friends who have a shared interest in death traps.

Edit: No pressure intended on coming to dinner...I realized that might have sounded a little overbearing. I not only gun inside the classroom - I force people into being my friend. ;)
Last edited by crazyinalabama on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:44 pm

edit nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:03 am

If you want a basic computer desk, this Mikael desk at Ikea is only $49.99, and being Ikea, they will ship it to you. It's available in several different colors for that price.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:54 am

lsatbobby wrote:Now the people at Memorial Gym are saying we won't have access until Aug 24th. Ive heard a million different dates.
:?:

I went to the North Grounds gym on Wednesday and got in. Handed my ID to the woman at the front desk and all she did was ask me if I was an undergrad or a grad student.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:10 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:Now the people at Memorial Gym are saying we won't have access until Aug 24th. Ive heard a million different dates.

I went to the North Grounds gym on Wednesday and got in. Handed my ID to the woman at the front desk and all she did was ask me if I was an undergrad or a grad student.
what's with your obsession with "my new haircut" tars?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:34 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:

I got into the Aquatic Center with no issues today. Maybe they were referring to the fact that some facilities will be closing for maintenance on a rolling basis?

On an unrelated note, my loans were supposed to disburse today but... didn't. Anyone else have that happen to them?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:37 am

a.williams wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

what's with your obsession with "my new haircut" tars?
Why don't you walk across the hall and ask him? :wink:

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:21 am

To those of you who came to my place and rocked out with me tonight, I probably won't remember who the hell half of you are because my memory is kind of fried, but thanks for coming out! Hopefully we can do it again sometime. (Assuming we aren't all too busy gunning for top 1% once classes start :mrgreen:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DanSthe3rd

New

Post by DanSthe3rd » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:33 am

thesealocust wrote:*sniff* I didn't bring my bike... too much stress in moving, too much uncertainty during 1L. I'll probably get it sometime during the semester though, and I'm stoked as hell to ride skyline drive sometime... but 5 hours on a motorcycle is brutal pretty much no matter what, lol. My girlfriend was about to quit riding with me after the first 45 minute trip I took her on

As for tomorrow night, it sounds absolutely lovely and I want to go, but right now I feel like I'm drowning in 'to-do' related unpacking. If that hasn't eased up by tomorrow night, I'll have problems besides what to do for dinner - but I can't commit to anything except finishing assembling my stupid furniture now.

*looks at pile of boards on floor*

*sulks back over to construction*
I rode mine 5 hours from NJ...

DanSthe3rd

New

Post by DanSthe3rd » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:35 am

gladiator wrote:
lkjhg8844 wrote:does anyone know if we'll be able to park at the school for orientation on Monday/Tues ?
As far as I know, parking restrictions are suspended from Aug 10 to Sept 4.
In D-3.
In D-2 and D-5 you will still get ticketed.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:48 am

vanwinkle wrote:To those of you who came to my place and rocked out with me tonight, I probably won't remember who the hell half of you are because my memory is kind of fried, but thanks for coming out! Hopefully we can do it again sometime. (Assuming we aren't all too busy gunning for top 1% once classes start :mrgreen:)
For those about to rock (or who rocked earlier), we salute you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMUgmU_Hsjc

Dan is right about parking, I don't know the names of the lots, but my roommate was ticketed in the lot to the left of the law school facing it form the front.

I'm a big fan of JSUVA's avatars, they make me feel at home.

Finally, anybody who wants to visit Monticello we are going to meet in parking lot next to the Ivy Gardens office building around 1:30, the spirit of Thomas Jefferson will torment you if you don't come

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:55 am

DanSthe3rd wrote:
thesealocust wrote:*sniff* I didn't bring my bike... too much stress in moving, too much uncertainty during 1L. I'll probably get it sometime during the semester though, and I'm stoked as hell to ride skyline drive sometime... but 5 hours on a motorcycle is brutal pretty much no matter what, lol. My girlfriend was about to quit riding with me after the first 45 minute trip I took her on

As for tomorrow night, it sounds absolutely lovely and I want to go, but right now I feel like I'm drowning in 'to-do' related unpacking. If that hasn't eased up by tomorrow night, I'll have problems besides what to do for dinner - but I can't commit to anything except finishing assembling my stupid furniture now.

*looks at pile of boards on floor*

*sulks back over to construction*
I rode mine 5 hours from NJ...
I <3 motorcycles! My boyfriend has one, and I love riding with him, and this summer we rented a bike and spent a week touring Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park- absolutely amazing trip!
limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:Limegreen and I are planning on getting some sushi tomorrow night at Miyako (downtown mall) for anyone who is interested. I've heard it's the best (and perhaps only) place to get sushi around here. I'll post more definite details on the facebook group once we decide. If anyone is interested or wants a ride or anything, feel free to PM me or limegreen.
It is delicious! Though when I was at the corner earlier this evening for dinner I saw a restaurant with a sign that said "noodles & sushi" so I guess they have it, too.
I haven't tried the place on the corner, yet, but when my boyfriend and I were looking at the menu the other night, some guy walked by and told us it was delicious. We ended up not going there, because my boyfriend is a picky eater and didn't think he'd like anything there, but I definitely want to try it sometime.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks for all of the desk tips! I think I'm going to try to go check some of them out today and hit up target, wal-mart, etc. until I find something suitable. I hate being so picky. I think I set myself up for failure when I set a really low budget and need to get a desk, chair, and bookshelf and/or small filing cabinet but then want something that is still nice looking and not particle board.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:

Good to know. I think I'm just asking too many questions.

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:39 am

Anyone buy any textbooks online and find a good place to purchase them? Also, what's the word on using older editions of texts?

bulldog4574

New

Post by bulldog4574 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:45 am

limegreen wrote:Thanks for all of the desk tips! I think I'm going to try to go check some of them out today and hit up target, wal-mart, etc. until I find something suitable. I hate being so picky. I think I set myself up for failure when I set a really low budget and need to get a desk, chair, and bookshelf and/or small filing cabinet but then want something that is still nice looking and not particle board.
I got the 70$ desk/bookshelf/cabinet combo from wal-mart and its a pretty good value, though it was a bitch putting it together.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:02 am

EyeBeeM wrote:Anyone buy any textbooks online and find a good place to purchase them? Also, what's the word on using older editions of texts?
I went on half.com and saved about $200 on two books. It's also interesting to note that I couldn't find any better prices for some of the books, but that might have changed by now.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:04 am

So... I have access to some of the syllabi, but I don't see any first-week assignments listed on them. Is the only way to get our assignments to look at the board outside the SRO office? When do we get access to the course websites?

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:06 am

CE2JD wrote:So... I have access to some of the syllabi, but I don't see any first-week assignments listed on them. Is the only way to get our assignments to look at the board outside the SRO office? When do we get access to the course websites?
I suspect that we will have access to the course websites when we are 'officially' registered. Currently on SIS is still says that I'm not enrolled in any classes.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:21 am

Am I the only one waiting until monday to worry about assignments? I am the anti-gunner, apparently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”