UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gladiator

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by gladiator » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:26 pm

limegreen wrote:Does anyone who lives (or is going to live) at the Woodlands know the dog policy? I know some complexes won't let you have aggressive breeds and others have a weight limit. I will go ask the rental office at some point but I don't think they are there right now. The lease says no dogs and you need written permission for a pet, but I see lots of people with cute little puppies so obviously you can have them.
I don't live there but based on what I know from friends who do, you're allowed to have little dogs only but apparently even people with big dogs haven't been properly told they're not allowed.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:26 pm

limegreen wrote:Does anyone who lives (or is going to live) at the Woodlands know the dog policy? I know some complexes won't let you have aggressive breeds and others have a weight limit. I will go ask the rental office at some point but I don't think they are there right now. The lease says no dogs and you need written permission for a pet, but I see lots of people with cute little puppies so obviously you can have them.

Ahhh - get a doggy so I can dogsit and take it to the dog park at Jefferson Ridge! If I didn't already own a cat and want to go abroad during law school I would already own a dog. It's much easier to get my parents to let my cat hang out at their house for a few months than convincing them to take on a third dog....

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:33 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:hmmm... since all I seem to do with my free time is find interesting products, I'm wondering what y'all think of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Livescribe-1GB-Pu ... 017&sr=8-2

Basically it's a pen that records everything you write while you write it, making it like writing in a (special, $5/each) notebook produces output as though you were writing onto a tablet PC. It simultaneously records audio and ties the audio it records to your pen strokes so you can play back the audio from the moment you were writing something specific. It also has bells and whistles - but most importantly, the reviews suggest it actually works well (lots of gizmos like that sound great but work terribly).

Seems like it might be a great investment for a class schedule with lots of profs who frowned upon and/or flat up disallowed laptops, and for ~$150 plus 20-30 bucks worth of notebooks and ink it could be a useful investment. Any thoughts?
I seem to remember a thread on this a while back. Give me a sec to dig it up.

Edit: Here it is.

The only problems I can think of are addressed in the first response about whether a professor will let you record a class lecture. Barring that, I might actually look into using my computer's microphone to record stuff, but I can't really see myself wading through recordings to look for (I hope) tiny things that I missed the first go round.

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:18 am

limegreen wrote: Thanks for the details. So am I making up the part about some 1Ls being able to park in the school parking lot if there are spaces left or they have a child or other random reason?
I'm not really sure, I don't know much about law school parking. If you were able to park where the 2Ls and 3Ls park then it would only be a short walk across the parking lot (2-3 minutes).

Is this what you're referring to? http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... rvices.htm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:46 am

Wahoo1L wrote:
limegreen wrote: Thanks for the details. So am I making up the part about some 1Ls being able to park in the school parking lot if there are spaces left or they have a child or other random reason?
I'm not really sure, I don't know much about law school parking. If you were able to park where the 2Ls and 3Ls park then it would only be a short walk across the parking lot (2-3 minutes).

Is this what you're referring to? http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... rvices.htm.
That is what I was looking for. Thanks!

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:43 pm

i'm getting excited...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:59 pm

lsatbobby wrote:i'm getting excited...
Same. Moving in 35 days...school starts in ~60.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:03 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:i'm getting excited...
Same. Moving in 35 days...school starts in ~60.
ok, not excited about the school part but am excited to meet all you new people. being in my UG town right now just feels like im stuck in a holding cell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:23 pm

lsatbobby wrote:ok, not excited about the school part but am excited to meet all you new people. being in my UG town right now just feels like im stuck in a holding cell.
I long to be back in my UG town (which often gets compared to C-ville actually). Right now I'm stuck in a shit job in a shit city and can't quit because I have rent and a car payment through August. This is what prison must feel like, but thankfully I get paroled in six weeks.

Part of going back to law school is just wanting to live somewhere fun again. Is that so wrong?

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:26 pm

no, definitely not. the whole getting a law degree thing is just an added bonus

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:32 am

Icing on the cake, really.

There is nothing I'm looking forward to more than getting out of this (partially self-created) rut that I've been in since getting into law school.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:48 am

This thread is kinda slowing down. Anyone moving in soon?

YRC- how are you liking it up here so far?

I need to go find a job this week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 pm

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:28 pm

4. I suspect that parking on Arlington could get tedious given that's it's often packed during the day right now (starting at about 08:00) and school isn't even in session.
It's packed now because graduated 3Ls are taking Bar Bri courses at the law school and don't have parking passes anymore. It is normally pretty packed during the school year though.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:29 pm

I got Netflix after you talked about it before, and I am loving it. I seem to get a movie the day after they get my last one in the mail. If you have any tips on getting them faster or things I should be doing let me know. We have only gotten 2 movies so far, we are doing the "free trial", but I think I'll be continuing it because it is fun to get movies in the mail!

The iPhone said there was a USPS in Barracks, but I couldn't find it. I was looking at the wrong end of the shopping center, so that's good to know.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:51 pm

[quote="limegreen"]I got Netflix after you talked about it before, and I am loving it. I seem to get a movie the day after they get my last one in the mail. If you have any tips on getting them faster or things I should be doing let me know. We have only gotten 2 movies so far, we are doing the "free trial", but I think I'll be continuing it because it is fun to get movies in the mail! quote]

Confession: I schedule my week around my Netflix...it's an addiction. Ever since they added the watch instantly option my life has been a difficult compromise between seeing friends/family/leaving the house and watching Netflix on my computer...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:06 pm

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:07 pm

--LinkRemoved--

USPS- #10

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks!

I haven't used the instant watch option yet, but I have started adding movies to my instant watch queue so that next time I have a little time I will have one ready to watch. I also have a DVR and cable so now it's like what do I watch?!

I have just been dropping mine off in the mailbox here in the morning, the mailman comes in the afternoon (I think- anyone at the Woodlands feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), is that not what I should be doing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:20 pm

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:Has anyone read the tips for law school success posted under the articles section of TLS (main page, not forum)? It starts innocently, but by the end it has gone full-gunner and says flat out you are guaranteed to get As if you read all of the hornbooks and E&Es and bla bla bla during the summer before law school. Seems to fly in the face of anything I've actually heard from law students...

Also, I fantasize more often about the barracks road shopping center than about any other part of next year.
Anyone who says "XYZ is the guaranteed road to success" is full of it. Logically, reading something before you can full understand it (that's why we have professors and lectures) is counterintuitive to the max.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:00 pm

180!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”