UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
a.williams

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by a.williams » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:48 am

showNprove wrote:How is everybody? It's been awhile. I've been avoiding this thread so I wouldn't have to think about loans.

Well, I just finished installment 1 of 3 in mortgaging my life against my education, and I have a few questions:

- In the loan counseling for the GradPLUS, it said that repayment begins at the end of the disbursement, but that I may qualify for an in-school deferment. Is that something we have to apply for?

- When you click on loan counseling, does/did it not immediately show GradPLUS even though both Stafford loans were up and listed as incomplete?

- How long did it take before the counseling was changed to complete?

I think that's all...
I did most of mine last week and I think I can answer your questions:

1. I don't think you have to apply for an in-school deferment. Your name actually goes into a large database as in-school, which your lender will see. UVA will notify them when you graduate or leave school (hoping for the former). Your lender should send you paper work about your loans when this happens.

2. My link from the SIS page did not work and still doesn't bring me to the actual counseling, just the web page. I had to manually get to the GRADplus counseling and the Stafford counseling.

3. I checked SIS within 24 hours of completing my loans/counseling and nothing had changed. If I remember correctly, I applied for the loans and did the counseling on Thursday. I checked back today and the link to check if my status had changed to complete was no longer an option and Discover hasn't called me in a couple days, so I believe everything is complete.

Hope this helps

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:50 am

I'm going to be in Charlottesville for like 24 hours Wednesday evening to Thursday afternoon helping my gf with job hunting in the surrounding areas. Anyone know of anything to check out around the area Wednesday night?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 am

jasofbase2001 wrote:UPDATE:

UVA threatened to put it all on his LSAC report if he fought it, so he withdrew. Basically, he was being an idiot while drunk. No excuse, but there is another side. He'll try to get in to Liberty or Regent in next year's cycle.
Corrected.

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:58 am

lol... full ride probably. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this chap.

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:47 am

I for one was shocked. Even though I hold diametrically different political beliefs, I can't help but feel some sympathy for the kid. I am sure, like many of us, he was pumped to be going to UVA this fall, and just like that, it is over. With a hate crime on your record, it will be tough to get your foot in the door anywhere in life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:57 am

Rainmaker11 wrote:I for one was shocked. Even though I hold diametrically different political beliefs, I can't help but feel some sympathy for the kid. I am sure, like many of us, he was pumped to be going to UVA this fall, and just like that, it is over. With a hate crime on your record, it will be tough to get your foot in the door anywhere in life.
I also feel sympathetic, but more for the incident in DC than for the non-disclosure, if there was a non-disclosure. I can see how a drunken mistake (if he did indeed merely bump into the woman) could be twisted into a "hate crime", but I can't feel sympathetic for intentional non-disclosure. Many of us have things on our record we would have preferred, if possible, to hide from admissions committees - I certainly did - but we were compelled either by integrity or pragmatism to disclose every dirty detail. If he wasn't, well that's 100% on him and he was probably an honor code violation waiting to happen, anyway.

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:05 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Rainmaker11 wrote:I for one was shocked. Even though I hold diametrically different political beliefs, I can't help but feel some sympathy for the kid. I am sure, like many of us, he was pumped to be going to UVA this fall, and just like that, it is over. With a hate crime on your record, it will be tough to get your foot in the door anywhere in life.
I also feel sympathetic, but more for the incident in DC than for the non-disclosure. I can see how a drunken mistake (if he did indeed merely bump into the woman) could be twisted into a "hate crime", but I can't feel sympathetic for intentional non-disclosure. Many of us have things on our record we would have preferred, if possible, to hide from admissions committees - I certainly did - but we were compelled either by integrity or pragmatism to disclose every dirty detail. If he wasn't, well that's 100% on him and he was probably an honor code violation waiting to happen, anyway.
All true. It turns out that he got a pretty sweet deal from the authorities. If he stays out of trouble until sentencing he can withdraw the guilty plea and the government will drop the charges and the incident will be permanently rescinded from his record.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:08 am

Rainmaker11 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
I also feel sympathetic, but more for the incident in DC than for the non-disclosure. I can see how a drunken mistake (if he did indeed merely bump into the woman) could be twisted into a "hate crime", but I can't feel sympathetic for intentional non-disclosure. Many of us have things on our record we would have preferred, if possible, to hide from admissions committees - I certainly did - but we were compelled either by integrity or pragmatism to disclose every dirty detail. If he wasn't, well that's 100% on him and he was probably an honor code violation waiting to happen, anyway.
All true. It turns out that he got a pretty sweet deal from the authorities. If he stays out of trouble until sentencing he can withdraw the guilty plea and the government will drop the charges and the incident will be permanently rescinded from his record.
Well I'm glad it won't ruin his life. Probably only his career in politics.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:24 am

jasofbase2001 wrote:UPDATE:

UVA threatened to put it all on his LSAC report if he fought it, so he withdrew. Basically, he was being an idiot while drunk. No excuse, but there is another side. He'll try to get in somewhere in next year's cycle.
I missed it. Fill me in on the other side!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 am

Kohinoor wrote:]
just read some of the last posts.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 am

a.williams wrote:I'm going to be in Charlottesville for like 24 hours Wednesday evening to Thursday afternoon helping my gf with job hunting in the surrounding areas. Anyone know of anything to check out around the area Wednesday night?
Good question. I just moved in and we've been too busy cleaning and unpacking to do much, but hopefully by Wednesday I will be up for something. I have been to Chipotle and Five Guys though, I think I'm going to gain 50 pounds living here.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:23 am

youpiiz wrote:
I read all of them. I'm just blanking on this other side that is deserving of sympathy.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 am

a.williams wrote:I'm going to be in Charlottesville for like 24 hours Wednesday evening to Thursday afternoon helping my gf with job hunting in the surrounding areas. Anyone know of anything to check out around the area Wednesday night?
Wednesday is Trivia Night at Mellow Mushroom.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:23 am

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
youpiiz wrote:
I read all of them. I'm just blanking on this other side that is deserving of sympathy.
I'm not feeling particularly sympathetic since it's his own fault he got drunk and decided it was a good idea to go smack someone (regardless of race) in the head; calling them a racial epithet beforehand also doesn't exactly make him an endearing figure. And I would prefer not to attend law school who would think it would be a good idea to smack me in the head when he's drunk. This doesn't even involve the disclosure question; what's the "other side" of hitting someone except in self-defense?

I might feel a bit bad if they just kicked him out for his xenophobic and racist views, as distasteful as I might find them, since there are people out there who think like him, and it would have added some exciting times to law school.

At any rate, whatever future he had in politics is still there. He'll just revise facts of the incident to claiming that it was blown out of proportion, that the woman provoked him, etc.* The people who would support him aren't going to be phased by this incident, and there's a segment of the population that would never support him anyways.

*If you didn't do something, don't plead guilty and then claim it wasn't your fault. I realize plea deals can get you a light sentence (as is the case here), but the price of that light sentence is that you agreed to say you're guilty. And given Epstein's "Darwinian-Galtonian view of racial differences," I really don't have that much trouble believing he went and karate-chopped that woman.
Well said.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 am

jasofbase2001 wrote:FWIW, I got the story of Marcus. I'm not defending him, just giving what I understand to be his side of the story. He did not disclose this on his application because it is a misdemeanor. He claims to have been plastered when it happened and bumped into her hard (not a karate chop), then called her the N-word, has to do community service, is on probation, and is still attending AA as a result.

I report, you decide.
No matter how drunk I were, I'd never call someone that. I don't have any sympathy for him.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am

booyakasha45 wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:FWIW, I got the story of Marcus. I'm not defending him, just giving what I understand to be his side of the story. He did not disclose this on his application because it is a misdemeanor. He claims to have been plastered when it happened and bumped into her hard (not a karate chop), then called her the N-word, has to do community service, is on probation, and is still attending AA as a result.

I report, you decide.
No matter how drunk I were, I'd never call someone that. I don't have any sympathy for him.
I think using the word "bumped" is a little misleading. I have bumped into people on the Subway before, frankly I have had people bump into me and get angry about it. Never have I ever considered "bumping" into someone assault and never does "bumping" into someone ever warrant being called a racial slur.

My point is, he had to do a little more than just "bump" into this girl.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:24 am

RTF wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:

I report, you decide.
I think using the word "bumped" is a little misleading. I have bumped into people on the Subway before, frankly I have had people bump into me and get angry about it. Never have I ever considered "bumping" into someone assault and never does "bumping" into someone ever warrant being called a racial slur.

Right, if anything, a hard bump warrants, at most, a loud "EXCUSE ME" from a drunk person.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:25 am

RTF wrote:I think using the word "bumped" is a little misleading. I have bumped into people on the Subway before, frankly I have had people bump into me and get angry about it. Never have I ever considered "bumping" into someone assault and never does "bumping" into someone ever warrant being called a racial slur.

So you're saying that, since it was originally characterized as assault and not bumping, and since the two are distinguishable, and since it is now claimed to be bumping, it must be assault?

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 am

mallard wrote:
RTF wrote:I think using the word "bumped" is a little misleading. I have bumped into people on the Subway before, frankly I have had people bump into me and get angry about it. Never have I ever considered "bumping" into someone assault and never does "bumping" into someone ever warrant being called a racial slur.

So you're saying that, since it was originally characterized as assault and not bumping, and since the two are distinguishable, and since it is now claimed to be bumping, it must be assault?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

All, I am saying is that the authorities probably wouldn't be involved if something like bumping into someone was all that transpired.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:33 am

So you're saying the presumption should be guilt rather than innocence?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:35 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:36 am

mallard wrote:So you're saying the presumption should be guilt rather than innocence?
Again, no.

Using the word "bump" in this circumstance is more than likely misleading.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:37 am

RTF wrote:
mallard wrote:So you're saying the presumption should be guilt rather than innocence?
Again, no.

Why?

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:43 am

mallard wrote:
RTF wrote:
Again, no.

Why?
Because striking someone in the head and bumping into someone are distinguishable.

Striking someone in the head is considered assault and the other is not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”