Northwestern 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Dick Whitman

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 2012

Post by Dick Whitman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Is it true they only support Dells? I need a new laptop anyway; that's probably reason enough for me to go with Dell.

stl1622dc

New

Post by stl1622dc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:01 am

It's official ... Paid my deposit today

I'm excited and relieved all at the same time.

lawguy123

New

Post by lawguy123 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:54 am

Dick Whitman wrote:Is it true they only support Dells? I need a new laptop anyway; that's probably reason enough for me to go with Dell.
Yeah, unfortunately....Last year I guess they had some IBM/Lenovo options. They only have those 3 Dell models now.

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:59 am

Depends on what you mean by support. NU has a plan with dell wherein the IT department does repairs. However, if you don't mind going through some third party for a service plan you can use whatever computer you want. A large number of people use macs and even a few use linux.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:43 am

If Northwestern's Dell program is anything like the one that we have at U Chicago's IT department, then I'd guess it just means that you can take a laptop you buy through it into them for repairs and they'll ship it off to Dell (if necessary) rather than you having to get in touch with the manufacturer yourself. I deal with Dells all day and am not too high on them - though, if you have institutional support, it's not so bad. I'll actually be going with an HP for the fall (that I plan on completely wiping so I don't have to deal with HP's software) but then again I am my own tech support...

If anyone is curious, this is the machine I'm looking at: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavi ... 83187.html

Anyway, really excited to be joining this thread! I got in last week and am definitely going in the fall. Just need to fill out and mail all that pesky paperwork. I hope I get a folio too... I can always use a folio... Hehe.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the Lakeview area feel free to ask. I've been living there since I graduated last Spring in a rented condo on Irving Park Road. I really love it and am happy I'll be staying!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fergi85

New

Post by fergi85 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:17 pm

What are the best resources to find apartments in the Lakeview area? Do you live near the red line or an express bus? How long is your commute to/from school?

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:28 am

fergi85 wrote:What are the best resources to find apartments in the Lakeview area? Do you live near the red line or an express bus? How long is your commute to/from school?
I haven't started school so I can't estimate my commute - I have a car and since I work in Hyde Park I drive down there everyday. That commute is about 20 minutes. When I was looking for an apartment up this way I first used Chicago Apartment Finders. They're pretty nice, but the service is hit or miss... I eventually found my current place (which is actually a condo) through Craigslist. I'm very happy here and glad that I ended up renting the place.

TheHammer24

New

Post by TheHammer24 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Hey all!

I'll be at NU this fall. Applied last cylce, and received a deferred scholarship offer. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

What's everyone doing for housing in the fall? Roommate/alone, Streeterville/elsewhere?, Studio/BR's?

Also, for the current students how is social scene among students?

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Hey all!

I'll be at NU this fall. Applied last cylce, and received a deferred scholarship offer. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

What's everyone doing for housing in the fall? Roommate/alone, Streeterville/elsewhere?, Studio/BR's?

Also, for the current students how is social scene among students?
I'll be living by myself in my current apartment in Lakeview...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

69sofine

Bronze

Post by 69sofine » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:35 pm

I think I'm going to hook up a one bedroom in Streeterville.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 pm

hmlee wrote:When I was looking for an apartment up this way I first used Chicago Apartment Finders. They're pretty nice, but the service is hit or miss... I eventually found my current place (which is actually a condo) through Craigslist. I'm very happy here and glad that I ended up renting the place.
Ditto, except a coach house.

I still strongly think that Chicago is a North-South city. While I might have been exaggerating when I said everything west of the city is ass, the vast majority of the good stuff is somewhere along the lake (particularly north of downtown)--which, of course, makes perfect sense. You might occasionally want to visit the west parts of the city for your hipster kick, or to see someone get shot, but it is better to be inconvenienced on those rare occasions rather than every other occasion; at least IMO.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:11 pm

hmlee wrote:If Northwestern's Dell program is anything like the one that we have at U Chicago's IT department, then I'd guess it just means that you can take a laptop you buy through it into them for repairs and they'll ship it off to Dell (if necessary) rather than you having to get in touch with the manufacturer yourself. I deal with Dells all day and am not too high on them - though, if you have institutional support, it's not so bad. I'll actually be going with an HP for the fall (that I plan on completely wiping so I don't have to deal with HP's software) but then again I am my own tech support...
Just so you're aware, the NU IT guys are all Dell technicians, and do the repairs on site (unless it's something huge). They also have loaner laptops for students who participate in the laptop program, so even if it does need major work, you're not without a computer.

My computer started overheating last week; within 48 hours they'd installed a new motherboard for me. During the interim I had one of their laptops to work off of.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 am

mumbling2myself wrote:
hmlee wrote:If Northwestern's Dell program is anything like the one that we have at U Chicago's IT department, then I'd guess it just means that you can take a laptop you buy through it into them for repairs and they'll ship it off to Dell (if necessary) rather than you having to get in touch with the manufacturer yourself. I deal with Dells all day and am not too high on them - though, if you have institutional support, it's not so bad. I'll actually be going with an HP for the fall (that I plan on completely wiping so I don't have to deal with HP's software) but then again I am my own tech support...
Just so you're aware, the NU IT guys are all Dell technicians, and do the repairs on site (unless it's something huge). They also have loaner laptops for students who participate in the laptop program, so even if it does need major work, you're not without a computer.

My computer started overheating last week; within 48 hours they'd installed a new motherboard for me. During the interim I had one of their laptops to work off of.
Huh. Well that is different then. At the U of C we handle repairs for all brands of computers (though any institutional purchases do go through dell) with the exception being motherboard issues and the like where we have to get Dell to ship us the parts...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

69sofine

Bronze

Post by 69sofine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Finally got around to paying the deposit today. Sooo it's officially official.

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm

69sofine wrote:Finally got around to paying the deposit today. Sooo it's officially official.
Officially official that it's official? :) I'm submitting my financial aid stuff soon and then the deposit. Yey!

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:54 pm

Does anyone know who monitors the Northwestern Law 2012 facebook group? I requested to join but I was just wondering if it's something run by the admissions office or if it's just sort of an ad-hoc thing...

gus

New

Post by gus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:40 pm

hmlee wrote:Does anyone know who monitors the Northwestern Law 2012 facebook group? I requested to join but I was just wondering if it's something run by the admissions office or if it's just sort of an ad-hoc thing...
all of the administrators are members of the student admissions committee. so it's at least semi-official.

p.s. the deposit is in, see ya'll in a few months.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 am

sent in my deposit today! see you guys in the fall.

our school for the next three years:
--ImageRemoved--

on_ne_sait_jamais

New

Post by on_ne_sait_jamais » Fri May 01, 2009 1:47 am

Umm.... reason number 1,542 why I'm glad that I picked northwestern... I'm going to love this school and I'm going to love chicago...

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Fri May 01, 2009 1:16 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:Umm.... reason number 1,542 why I'm glad that I picked northwestern... I'm going to love this school and I'm going to love chicago...
The sign was reason number 1,542?

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Fri May 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Okay, so I just got an e-mail from Northwestern Law wishing me happy birthday. I officially love them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 am

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Thu May 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Okay, for those of you have already set up your e-mail accounts, has anyone figured out a way to get gmail to fetch mail from your Northwestern account / forward from an alias. Example:

I currently have a gmail account xxxx@gmail.com which receives both e-mail sent to it as well as e-mail sent to my undergraduate @uchicago.edu address. A few days ago I set up my Northwestern accounts, which gave me a [official northwestern account name]@nlaw.northwestern.edu address. I also created an alias for that account that matches the name of my @uchicago.edu address. I have been trying to get my xxxx@gmail.com account to be able to fetch mail from the @nlaw.northwestern.edu address but have thus far been unsuccessful. I can't figure out what the IMAP/POP settings would be for the Northwestern account so have been unable to enable fetching. The only thing that I could do was enable forwarding on the Northwestern account side, but now I'm only getting e-mails sent to [official northwestern account name]@nlaw.northwestern.edu, and not e-mails sent to [alias]@nlaw.northwestern.edu.....

69sofine

Bronze

Post by 69sofine » Thu May 07, 2009 4:48 pm

hmlee wrote:Okay, for those of you have already set up your e-mail accounts, has anyone figured out a way to get gmail to fetch mail from your Northwestern account / forward from an alias. Example:

I currently have a gmail account xxxx@gmail.com which receives both e-mail sent to it as well as e-mail sent to my undergraduate @uchicago.edu address. A few days ago I set up my Northwestern accounts, which gave me a [official northwestern account name]@nlaw.northwestern.edu address. I also created an alias for that account that matches the name of my @uchicago.edu address. I have been trying to get my xxxx@gmail.com account to be able to fetch mail from the @nlaw.northwestern.edu address but have thus far been unsuccessful. I can't figure out what the IMAP/POP settings would be for the Northwestern account so have been unable to enable fetching. The only thing that I could do was enable forwarding on the Northwestern account side, but now I'm only getting e-mails sent to [official northwestern account name]@nlaw.northwestern.edu, and not e-mails sent to [alias]@nlaw.northwestern.edu.....
I haven't messed with the mail forwarding at all yet. I also haven't gotten any email on the NU address either, so it hasn't been an issue.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Thu May 07, 2009 7:00 pm

In your gmail account (or nlaw account) go to settings at the top, then click the 'accounts' option. There should be a section called "Get mail from other accounts." I have my gmail address forwarding to my nlaw account, haven't tried it the other was around.

I hope that works (but it may be something you've already tried). :/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”