Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
itzjulz

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by itzjulz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:03 pm

skiridedrive wrote:has anyone heard back from phid house yet about their application being accepted?
I haven't heard back from PhiD, either. Hopefully soon? I think they were deciding on apps by a house vote

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:05 pm

snotrocket wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Is the difference between CLS and Michigan so grave that prelaw attending one would make him look good whereas him attending the other would make the school look good? :? I mean, I don't pretend to be any type of a real expert as to how various schools compare and I'm likely biased because I've never really liked CLS (never applied there even) but isn't that a bit overstated? I'm curious to hear more of your opinion here.
Yeah, the difference here is maybe minimal, partly because CLS, like Stanford, tends to attract people with high regional affinity (i.e. who don't leave town after they graduate). That reduces the overall value of the alumni network outside their backyard. What I wonder about this person is why they're not also considering an offer from H, given that they got money from both CLS and Michigan. If they were looking at CLS with $80k vs. Harvard, I would give them the same advice, for the same reasons, as with the choice of Michigan vs. H. Without a named scholarship, Harvard is even more compelling. But I wouldn't spend any time telling them to not choose Michigan over CLS here, and the fact that one school has offered a named scholarship vs. generic $$ is probably enough to make the call. My point was just that there is a flip side to the gaga factor that comes in when people start thinking about amounts of dollars that they've never dealt with before, and there are some pretty simple economic reasons that schools offer you money to begin with.
Thanks for elaborating, snotrocket. I tend to agree with your points.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:06 pm

So Michigan is the clear choice for me?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:09 pm

prelaw wrote:So Michigan is the clear choice for me?
I hesitate to say so because you've stated you were pining for CLS. Another school cannot be a good choice for you if you have strong affinity for a specific institution, no matter how good of a financial deal you might be offered.

Darrow isn't worth three years of happiness, IMO. However, if the gulf between your feelings for CLS and UMich isn't exactly vast, then, yes, Michigan is the clear choice for you.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think I don't like CLS $90k more than Michigan (subtracting out the loans from Michigan COL). I liked both schools when I visited. I don't think I'll necessarily be unhappy at Michigan, but I do have a strong affinity for CLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:24 pm

if location doesn't make that much difference to you, then i would also say michigan.

ps michigan students seem a LOT happier than columbia students. the people i know that went to columbia had nowhere near the amount of affection for their school as mich people seem to.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:32 pm

I feel like I can officially post here now.

I haven't sent my deposit yet, but an email from Dean Gottschalk this morning made my decision very easy.

GO BLUE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Yay!! Welcome to Michigan!

Tomorrow is a meeting for orientation leaders :) ... it makes me excited to meet you guys this fall! I feel like I didn't get to meet enough of the current 1Ls due to OCI/callbacks/etc.

waitingforanswers

New

Post by waitingforanswers » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:48 pm

I went to visit today and was pretty impressed overall. Michigan is looking like the winner for me as of now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:48 pm

oh yay! make sure i get someone good to be my orientation leader! :P

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 pm

To anyone who's going to be at the NYC admitted student reception tomorrow:

I want to meet TLSers - come say hi! You won't miss me, I'll be the guy that looks like Jack Black.

Maybe that was a mistake, because now I know how every conversation will start. Either "man you really do look like JB" or "I don't really see it. maybe."

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Alexandria wrote:Yay!! Welcome to Michigan!

Tomorrow is a meeting for orientation leaders :) ... it makes me excited to meet you guys this fall! I feel like I didn't get to meet enough of the current 1Ls due to OCI/callbacks/etc.
I'm going to the Thursday one. Yay orientation leaders!

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 pm

took the darrow and never looked back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:01 pm

neverborn wrote:took the darrow and never looked back.
Would you mind sharing which schools you refused in favor of the Darrow? I really think that I'd go with the Darrow over any school but Yale...

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:07 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Would you mind sharing which schools you refused in favor of the Darrow? I really think that I'd go with the Darrow over any school but Yale...
nyu$$ and chicago. closer to a no brainer for me than a YHS decision.

i just love big cities and hate the middle of nowhere.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 pm

99% sure i'll be at Mich in the fall. But the fin aid office is saying i'm not eligible for grants. Has anyone had a hard time getting grants but they feel like they should be eligible? I had need-based grants all thru undergrad but now Mich is saying they don't see that. That is the only reason I haven't accepted my offer. Because i'm getting pretty shafted on money. My stats weren't high but I don't have parental support so i'm on my own. Anyone else having a hard time with this?

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:19 pm

tcortez wrote:99% sure i'll be at Mich in the fall. But the fin aid office is saying i'm not eligible for grants. Has anyone had a hard time getting grants but they feel like they should be eligible? I had need-based grants all thru undergrad but now Mich is saying they don't see that. That is the only reason I haven't accepted my offer. Because i'm getting pretty shafted on money. My stats weren't high but I don't have parental support so i'm on my own. Anyone else having a hard time with this?
Did you fill out the automated form online? I wrote emails to admissions and financial aid, mentioned other offers, etc...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 pm

neverborn wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
nyu$$ and chicago. closer to a no brainer for me than a YHS decision.

i just love big cities and hate the middle of nowhere.
A full ride at MPVB over loans for CCN is pretty much close to a no-brainer indeed. Thanks for responding. I'd definitely have done the same.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 pm

USC2009 wrote:
tcortez wrote:99% sure i'll be at Mich in the fall. But the fin aid office is saying i'm not eligible for grants. Has anyone had a hard time getting grants but they feel like they should be eligible? I had need-based grants all thru undergrad but now Mich is saying they don't see that. That is the only reason I haven't accepted my offer. Because i'm getting pretty shafted on money. My stats weren't high but I don't have parental support so i'm on my own. Anyone else having a hard time with this?
Did you fill out the automated form online? I wrote emails to admissions and financial aid, mentioned other offers, etc...
yup...still getting the run-around. Sent in explanations. I even had to go run around my undergrad but I could barely get half the info I needed because I graduated in 07. I'm not really getting a good feeling. I just wonder if i'm not eligible for grants, then who the hell is? :cry:

linhvo

New

Post by linhvo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:30 pm

See you guys in the fall!

I registered for MAP as well :D

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:33 pm

sweet!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Margarets

New

Post by Margarets » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:40 pm

Still on the edge of my seat. Snotrocket makes me want to choose Harvard...

...but I really just want to make 160 at a vault 100.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:45 pm

Margarets wrote:Still on the edge of my seat. Snotrocket makes me want to choose Harvard...

...but I really just want to make 160 at a vault 100.
If that's the extent of your ambition, you should definitely take the Darrow. Why borrow so much extra money for a school when another school from where you have more than reasonable shot at getting what you want is offering you a free ride?

I won't presume to speak for snotrocket, but I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his response if he knew what your professional goals were.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:37 am

Margarets, I'm also on the edge of my seat and really indecisive. After tomorrow, however, I expect to have a much clearer idea of where I'm headed next year.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 am

Where is everyone living next year?

When should we start looking for apts if we wanna live off campus?

I think I'm gonna sign up for lawyers club without signing the lease just in case other housing falls through (I'm dreading the thought of sharing showers and eating cafeteria food), and then look for housing in the next month or two. Too soon? Too late? What to do? What are you guys doing?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”