Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
moonie

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by moonie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:13 pm

dresden doll wrote:I just logged into my admitted students account and it seems I'll be getting a Dean's Scholarship, 67,750 over three years. Wow... I really hope the letter comes soon to corroborate this as it would definitely seal my decision. The site also indicates I should still submit my need info to be eligible for need-based grants. UCLA recently gave me close to 6k in need, so I wonder if I'd get a comparable amount from Michigan.

Anyhow, this could potentially be a really good deal for me. What with SO relocating with me and all, whatever loans I took out would only be applied towards tuition (he'd take care of COL). So I might be looking at somewhere around 60k in debt (without interest, though) over the span of three years, which seems a bargain for a JD from a top notch law school like Michigan.

This will be pretty great if does end up being the case. :)

Congrats DD! That's amazing! I suppose you are getting the maximum amount of Dean's Scholarship (based on LSN statistics). Three years in AA for both of us this Fall, maybe. :)

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Did anyone else have to fill out verification worksheets for Umich financial aid? Are they necessary if all you are looking for is federal loans?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:37 pm

moonie wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I just logged into my admitted students account and it seems I'll be getting a Dean's Scholarship, 67,750 over three years. Wow... I really hope the letter comes soon to corroborate this as it would definitely seal my decision. The site also indicates I should still submit my need info to be eligible for need-based grants. UCLA recently gave me close to 6k in need, so I wonder if I'd get a comparable amount from Michigan.

Anyhow, this could potentially be a really good deal for me. What with SO relocating with me and all, whatever loans I took out would only be applied towards tuition (he'd take care of COL). So I might be looking at somewhere around 60k in debt (without interest, though) over the span of three years, which seems a bargain for a JD from a top notch law school like Michigan.

Congrats DD! That's amazing! I suppose you are getting the maximum amount of Dean's Scholarship (based on LSN statistics). Three years in AA for both of us this Fall, maybe. :)
Really? I didn't even know it was the maximum amount. How nice of Michigan; now I really feel welcome and wanted.

Is Michigan your front runner now? They've been my front runner for a little while now, and they just made my decision a lot easier. This offer makes it easier for me to turn down Vandy's 24k per year, as well as Dean's Scholarship from UT. And given how stingy Cornell appears to be, I really think Michigan will end up being the most solid bet on financial in addition to academic/personal grounds.

NU is a wild card, but I'd still prefer Michigan and have yet to receive NU's offer.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Objection wrote: The only tour I went on was with B.K. If that was you (or you were there), then yep!
Yep, you were on my tour. You guys were so quiet. I was thinking to myself, "Man, I must really suck at this".
I'll PM you a name.
I have no clue who that is.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:59 pm

LadyBroseph wrote: I was wondering if anyone else could share their thoughts on the age range, and if it matters at all socially...
There are a wide range of people. It just seems that all of the older people happen to be married, so I don't hang out with them a lot. I'm definitely the oldest of all of my friends, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal socially. People just like to have fun, so I'm sure that you can find that wherever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Hitachi wrote: Really? I would think the d-bags would be the type of people who would love to be able to pontificate to a captive audience.
It's just that the people at the law school that I consider d-bags aren't the types that would volunteer for Preview weekend. I think people might just confuse d-bags with people being socially awkward.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:03 pm

dresden doll wrote:
I'm okay with that, I mean. I expect 6k from UCLA is probably a good proxy for the sort of need grants I'd be looking at, and that sort of money doesn't make too great of a difference for me (though it would be nice, of course).
You're not getting anymore money. Michigan isn't really that generous with need-based grants, and now that you have a scholarship that big, they really have no reason to give you anymore. Congrats on the scholarship!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:07 pm

tl wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
I'm okay with that, I mean. I expect 6k from UCLA is probably a good proxy for the sort of need grants I'd be looking at, and that sort of money doesn't make too great of a difference for me (though it would be nice, of course).
You're not getting anymore money. Michigan isn't really that generous with need-based grants, and now that you have a scholarship that big, they really have no reason to give you anymore. Congrats on the scholarship!
Yeah, I got my award letter today that specified I wouldn't be eligible for need grants. As I said, that's okay, particularly since UCLA's award suggested I wouldn't qualify for much money on that front anyhow (not that I have 6k to spare, so I don't want to sound spoiled, but you get my point).

Thanks for the congrats! I'm really happy and grateful for my scholarship. :)

moonie

New

Post by moonie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:06 pm

dresden doll wrote:
moonie wrote:

Really? I didn't even know it was the maximum amount. How nice of Michigan; now I really feel welcome and wanted.

Is Michigan your front runner now? They've been my front runner for a little while now, and they just made my decision a lot easier. This offer makes it easier for me to turn down Vandy's 24k per year, as well as Dean's Scholarship from UT. And given how stingy Cornell appears to be, I really think Michigan will end up being the most solid bet on financial in addition to academic/personal grounds.

NU is a wild card, but I'd still prefer Michigan and have yet to receive NU's offer.

*nod* I guess the Dean's Scholarship this year goes by 22,500, 18,000, 15,000 and so on. You have good reason to celebrate :D

Umich is definitely my top choice now. Honestly, I have had quite a lousy cycle compared with many of you as long as the T14s are concerned. Being a splitter, there is nothing much I could complain about. Anyway, I guess I just need to attend one good school at the end of the day, and that school is likely to be Michigan with the 18,000/year they are offering. While I might still stand a slim chance at Columbia / Chicago, I am not really waiting that out because 1) I am unlikely to get a single dime from either of them with my numbers and 2) I need to decide ASAP so as to get the visa application stuff going (yeah, you know, we foreigners...).

Are you referring to NYU when you said NU? If you want Biglaw in NYC, I suppose you might want to wait that out; otherwise, I guess Michigan cannot do you wrong. I mean, since we are not the HYS / Hamilton type, I guess it is hard to say no to a school like Michigan when it is offering half tuition waiver.

See you in the April ASW then. Make sure to PM me before you come. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Anyone feel free to PM examples of douchebags to educate me - I am clearly sadly misguided. Plus, I want to see how many times I get mentioned.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Yeah, seriously... I want some douchebag identity PMs too. :)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Yep, you were on my tour. You guys were so quiet. I was thinking to myself, "Man, I must really suck at this".
You were fine! I think a lot of us were just kind of feeling everything out and needed time to sort of settle in.

I also think we were shocked out of our senses by the library carpet.

As for the douchebag, he was a 4L at game night. I feel bad getting any more specific.

dem

Post by dem » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Objection wrote:
You were fine! I think a lot of us were just kind of feeling everything out and needed time to sort of settle in.

As for the douchebag, he was a 4L at game night. I feel bad getting any more specific.
I think you played me at foosball.

Sorry if I was aggressive. I'm passionate about the game:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:31 pm

dem wrote:
Objection wrote:

I think you played me at foosball.

Sorry if I was aggressive. I'm passionate about the game:)
Everyone I played foosball with was awesome. None of you were the d-bag.

Those were some awesome foosball games though. The triumph of victory only to be followed by the agony of a narrow defeat in a hardly fought final match...all over the course of like 15 minutes.

Most fun foosball games I have ever played :lol:

dem

Post by dem » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Haha. I thought I was a douchebag when I challenged two players to take me on at once.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:01 pm

moonie wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
moonie wrote:

*nod* I guess the Dean's Scholarship this year goes by 22,500, 18,000, 15,000 and so on. You have good reason to celebrate :D

Umich is definitely my top choice now. Honestly, I have had quite a lousy cycle compared with many of you as long as the T14s are concerned. Being a splitter, there is nothing much I could complain about. Anyway, I guess I just need to attend one good school at the end of the day, and that school is likely to be Michigan with the 18,000/year they are offering. While I might still stand a slim chance at Columbia / Chicago, I am not really waiting that out because 1) I am unlikely to get a single dime from either of them with my numbers and 2) I need to decide ASAP so as to get the visa application stuff going (yeah, you know, we foreigners...).

Are you referring to NYU when you said NU? If you want Biglaw in NYC, I suppose you might want to wait that out; otherwise, I guess Michigan cannot do you wrong. I mean, since we are not the HYS / Hamilton type, I guess it is hard to say no to a school like Michigan when it is offering half tuition waiver.

See you in the April ASW then. Make sure to PM me before you come. :)
Ah, applying for student visa? Man, do I feel your pain. I will luckily be going as a permanent resident but my app is still (!!!) pending and I've got a feeling it'll be a huge headache before it's finally sorted out.

I did mean NU; they accepted me and the thing they've got in their favor is that I already live in Chicago and wouldn't need to relocate (and my SO could just keep his current job). However, SO is anxious to move elsewhere since he's gotten sick of the area and I would personally prefer Michigan. So, unless NU tosses a lot of money at me (which I don't think is all that likely), I will go for Michigan (and, honestly, I may well go for Michigan either way at this point; I just get such a great vibe from that place).

As for NYU, its big draw lies in the fact that it would likely give me a greater edge in going international. I'm interested in doing international work and potentially living in Europe again for a couple of years. I'm not too concerned about biglaw - I feel I can snag something on that front from either school. All that said, though, I don't know that the 'greater edge' is worth the added expense (I'm certain NYU won't give me any merit money, even if they do accept me) and I'm fairly debt averse.

So it really does seem like Michigan will be it for me.

I'll be sure to pm you. I'm coming for April ASW, and I'm totally excited.

moonie

New

Post by moonie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:53 pm

dresden doll wrote: Ah, applying for student visa? Man, do I feel your pain. I will luckily be going as a permanent resident but my app is still (!!!) pending and I've got a feeling it'll be a huge headache before it's finally sorted out.

I did mean NU; they accepted me and the thing they've got in their favor is that I already live in Chicago and wouldn't need to relocate (and my SO could just keep his current job). However, SO is anxious to move elsewhere since he's gotten sick of the area and I would personally prefer Michigan. So, unless NU tosses a lot of money at me (which I don't think is all that likely), I will go for Michigan (and, honestly, I may well go for Michigan either way at this point; I just get such a great vibe from that place).

As for NYU, its big draw lies in the fact that it would likely give me a greater edge in going international. I'm interested in doing international work and potentially living in Europe again for a couple of years. I'm not too concerned about biglaw - I feel I can snag something on that front from either school. All that said, though, I don't know that the 'greater edge' is worth the added expense (I'm certain NYU won't give me any merit money, even if they do accept me) and I'm fairly debt averse.

So it really does seem like Michigan will be it for me.

I'll be sure to pm you. I'm coming for April ASW, and I'm totally excited.
I see. If this is the case, I would say Michigan it is. There can be some legwork for your SO in terms of job hunting in a small city like AA, but I'm sure there is a way to work that out. Do not forget that Michigan has some very good faculty members in European law and, if my memory is not deceiving me, there are clinics / overseas programs in Europe every year.

In any respect, good luck for your final decision and see you on the April ASW!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IcedTeaWinter

New

Post by IcedTeaWinter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Objection wrote:I also think we were shocked out of our senses by the library carpet.
I guess I'm the only person who liked the carpet.

hdg315

New

Post by hdg315 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 am

IcedTeaWinter wrote:
Objection wrote:I also think we were shocked out of our senses by the library carpet.
I guess I'm the only person who liked the carpet.
I would say it wasn't thaattt bad...

...just a few windmills and flags away from a putt putt course

dlindqui

New

Post by dlindqui » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 am

I didn't think the carpet was bad. On my tour the guide said it was nice to see something green during the winter.

hdg315

New

Post by hdg315 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 am

dlindqui wrote:I didn't think the carpet was bad. On my tour the guide said it was nice to see something green during the winter.
Well, there's normal green carpet, and there's astroturf green... just something unnatural about seeing that right after descending from the reading room...

I guess it's all a matter of preference, and I can't believe this has turned into a back and forth about carpet haha

BTW that was about the only thing I disliked about Mich

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dlindqui

New

Post by dlindqui » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 am

Last edited by dlindqui on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:41 am

I did find it hilarious when my tour guide said that they try and organize putt putt tournaments down there, but the administration gets mad.

dem

Post by dem » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 am

Objection wrote:I did find it hilarious when my tour guide said that they try and organize putt putt tournaments down there, but the administration gets mad.
Wait... they get angry about that? Shit.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:03 am

Did you guys see... damn, I can't remember if it was the 1L video or the 3L video from Mr. Wolverine, using the entry to the library as a golf course, with the elevator as the hole.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”